T-mobile W'n'W in Amsterdam

Guest Neil F

Hi there

I'm hoping someone will be able to help me. I am going to Amsterdam for a few days next month and would like internet access while I'm there.

My hotel near Dam square has quoted me 40 euro per day for WIFI access ;)

Does anyone know if it would be possible for me to buy a T-mobile.nl Pay-as you-go SIM card in the netherlands and put it in my UK t-mobile Vario II? Would the phone need to be unlocked? Can I use Web and walk for a fixed price per day on PAYG?

Any other suggestions gratefully accepted.. :(

thanks

Neil

Guest Thumper Net

You can buy a t mobile prepay sim here in holland and use wnw . wnw costs € 0,50 voor 200 KB a max of € 2,50 per day BUT only wap internet not the 3g you are used to plus you will need the correct settings on your phone which are ...

Profiel naam T-Mobile Internet

Homepage (url, startpagina) http://pda.t-mobile.nl

Naam toegangspunt internet

user name tmobile

password tmobile

Netwerktype Pv4

Proxy server adres Geen

Poort .8080

IP adres apparaat Automatisch

Name servers Automatisch

Beveiliging (security option) Niet beveiligd

IP adres apparaat Automatisch

Verificatie Normaal

so you can do it but it will be dam slow or use your own t-mobile account and use the 3g connection , just dont surf too long or you

will have a bill more expensive than the phone you own.

your phone has to be simlock free if you want to use the dutch t-mobile sim , but you can also use vodafone nl or kpn preypay sims as well its cheaper as well and faster . settings needed are in the sticky on the dutch forum

Guest Thumper Net

If you use your own sim it will work as normal as at home , t-mobile nl prepay will work as well but on the slower wap connection or for a fast connection you have to visit a mc donalds , as this has wifi from t-mobile in every mc donalds :D one good reason for a big mac ;)

check here http://www.t-mobile.nl/Persoonlijk/htdocs/...stellingen.aspx

and here http://www.t-mobile.nl/persoonlijk/htdocs/...d_webnwalk.aspx

simcards cost 9.95 and come with 15 euros credit

https://www.t-mobile.nl/persoonlijk/htdocs/...;ProductId=2641

use babblefish for a soso translation :( it might be possible to use the 3g but iam not sure on that one cost wise

http://www.t-mobile.nl/Persoonlijk/htdocs/...stellingen.aspx

will look into it for you and ask at a shop here and let you know what you can get and for how much

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm not fussed about speed, i'm just bothered about whether the push mail will work through that 'WAP proxy'?

I don't want to run up big roaming fees ;)

P

Guest Thumper Net

Will find out after work on wednesday and post the costs for both 3g and gprs , by mc donalds its free if you have a t-mobile wnw account ( contract or prepay per day )

Thanks for the info. I'll have a good look at the links you have provided and try to de-cypher them ;)

Hey Paul(MPV), I'm there 29th Nov - 1st Dec! Might bump into you in the grasshopper hehe.

Guest Thumper Net

With a prepay simcard you will only have access to wap and gprs internet , it is possible to use push email as well although slower than you are used to , you can buy a sim from any mobile shop or from a pink t-mobile shop if you want t-mobile or you can use any other network as they all do the same settings for your phones can be found on this site

http://www.belcompany.nl/NL/Alle_Vrijheid/...r_je_mobiel.htm

Hope this helps enjoy your stay in holland and the usual extras you find in amsterdam ;)

• 1 month later...

Well my trip to Amsterdam was great! Hope yours was good too Paul.

The Prepaid SIM worked out fantastic. I did get a HSDPA connection and coverage all over Amsterdam was excellent! I can't wait for my next trip to NL in January :(

Has anyone any idea how long my remaining credit lasts before it expires? Does the SIM itself ever expire? If I was to make a call from my Dutch SIM here in the UK would that reset the expiry timer?

Thanks

Neil

Edited by Neil F

Guest Paul (MVP)

Attendees to Mobius got a Data SIM from Vodafone in the end, so I didn't need the T-Mo option.

Good to know it worked tho, and yes, the trip was great :(

P

Guest Rabbit Rocks

Well for Holland the following applys

Orange / T-mobile unlimited lifetime on sim and credit ( even though t-mob now own the orange network the sims will be unlimited valid )

T-mobile unlimited lifetime on sim and credit

Vodafone 6 months credit lifetime , without a top up the sim is disconnected

Telfort unlimited lifetime on sim and credit

KPN depends on which type of sim you get to how long its valid. kpn uses the hi and own name brands.

Also there are simcards supplied from Various shops which can be cheaper if you want just a sim and credit for a one time trip.

Guest Rabbit Rocks

Well for Holland the following applys

Orange / T-mobile unlimited lifetime on sim and credit ( even though t-mob now own the orange network the sims will be unlimited valid )

T-mobile unlimited lifetime on sim and credit

Vodafone 6 months credit lifetime , without a top up the sim is disconnected

Telfort unlimited lifetime on sim and credit

KPN depends on which type of sim you get to how long its valid. kpn uses the hi and own name brands.

Also there are simcards supplied from Various shops which can be cheaper if you want just a sim and credit for a one time trip.