Samsung i620 Now Available!

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

[teaser]

16-Oct-2007_i620.jpg

Expansys are now stocking the Samsung i620, a slider sister-device to the i600/Blackjack. Here are the key specs:

• Windows Mobile Standard
  • GSM/3G/HSDPA/BT/Wifi connectivity
  • 2.2" qVGA screen
  • 94.9 x 59.3 x 16.3 mm
  • microSD Slot
  • Slide-out QWERTY Keyboard
  • Touch sensitive home/back/call/soft keys
  • Scroll wheel mounted in the D-pad

Vid link after the jump![/teaser]

So nothing ground breaking, in the flesh though its one of the best looking Windows Mobile devices I've seen to date, check out the Expansys unboxing vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3LRmdr-E84!

So from that I see a smart looking, compact, fast and well equipped little Smartphone. I'll certainly be keeping an eye out for it! ;)

[Expansys] via [Jason Langridge's Blog]

Guest Monolithix (MVP)

Hmm that is a downer! The spec i saw on gsmarena said wifi and apparently Expansys themselves said it did. According to a customer though it isn't in fact present! Disapointing ;)

Don't realy understand why they'd release (let alone anyone buy) this one now when it's successor is already around the corner (unless they're gonna hold it back in order to sell this one first.)

The i640 will/should come with a (slightly) bigger screen, gps and wifi ... http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=871

Would be sweet if they'd add a 5-way pad rather than this scroll toy ... and add a normal miniusb and while they're at it, a 3.5mm jack. ;)

Guest conflagrare
Don't realy understand why they'd release (let alone anyone buy) this one now when it's successor is already around the corner (unless they're gonna hold it back in order to sell this one first.)

The i640 will/should come with a (slightly) bigger screen, gps and wifi ... http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=871

Would be sweet if they'd add a 5-way pad rather than this scroll toy ... and add a normal miniusb and while they're at it, a 3.5mm jack. ;)

Half of what pdadb.net lists is bogus.

i640 will probably just add wifi to i620. interface will be identical, including the "scroll toy". if you think they'd put in 3.5mm jack, you're dreaming. GPS is a possibility, but not likely..

Edited by conflagrare

Guest HerpezP
Half of what pdadb.net lists is bogus.

i640 will probably just add wifi to i620. interface will be identical, including the "scroll toy". if you think they'd put in 3.5mm jack, you're dreaming. GPS is a possibility, but not likely..

Check this site: http://www.mobiles-samsung.fr/index.php?pi...ll_id=SGH-I640V

I don't know if it's an official Samsung site, but it does look somewhat official. Right now I can't find GPS mentioned (think I saw it the other day), but at least "Molette de navigation" is mentioned as a characteristic of the handset.

By the way, all the falsely listed places with GPS at PDAdb was (AFAIK) because the used chipset was indeed supporting GPS. The decision to include it was then up to the manufacturer, and as we all know, they can change opinions on that matter in a couple of days (just see what happened with WiFi in the last minute on Touch Dual). It doesn't seem to be listed for i640 just because of the chipset used, but let's see when it's officially announced ;)

Actually looking at the specs again i'm now more concerned about a mere 64mb of RAM over the lack of wifi!

Why? It's plenty for a smartphone/WM Standard. I've never had a RAM shortage slowdown, or had to use a task manager, on my i600 or any other of my WM Standard phones. I don't see why people get so hooked up on doubling the RAM, especially in phone-centric devices like this. All that would do is decrease the (already short) battery life from having twice as much memory to constantly refresh.

Edited by Metoo

Guest Monolithix

Admittedly i've not used a HTC Smartphone "properly" in a few years now, but i certainly had slow-down issues on my C600 and S310 when i used them regularly. Either way, time will tell whether this turns out to be a half decent device or if its shadowed by the i640...

Admittedly i've not used a HTC Smartphone "properly" in a few years now, but i certainly had slow-down issues on my C600 and S310 when i used them regularly. Either way, time will tell whether this turns out to be a half decent device or if its shadowed by the i640...

If you have, I would have thought that was more to do with the CPU cycles being spread too thin, rather than the lack of RAM. I tend to find that if RAM is spent, then apps won't load. AFAIK if there's enough RAM for the app to load, then it doesn't make any difference to the speed how much spare there is. Plus, with the tiny batteries you get with devices like the Samsungs, the hit on battery life from having more RAM wouldn't be worth it.

A truly unimpressive piece of technology.

Your point being? This isn't supposed to be cutting edge, it's just an i600 in a more stylish form factor for those who want qwerty email but who'd rather not look like some corporate Blackberry-carrying geek. Don't forget, most phones are bought for looks, not for what they do.

Edited by Metoo

Guest conflagrare
Check this site: http://www.mobiles-samsung.fr/index.php?pi...ll_id=SGH-I640V

I don't know if it's an official Samsung site, but it does look somewhat official. Right now I can't find GPS mentioned (think I saw it the other day), but at least "Molette de navigation" is mentioned as a characteristic of the handset.

By the way, all the falsely listed places with GPS at PDAdb was (AFAIK) because the used chipset was indeed supporting GPS. The decision to include it was then up to the manufacturer, and as we all know, they can change opinions on that matter in a couple of days (just see what happened with WiFi in the last minute on Touch Dual). It doesn't seem to be listed for i640 just because of the chipset used, but let's see when it's officially announced ;)

The website looks pretty official. :( but wow... no GPS, no wifi, no 850 band... 2.4" screen confirmed though... Really, I don't see a difference between i620 and i640...

Guest booboobedoo

>> So, does anyone know whether this phone supports Line 2 ?

As its WM Standard (Smartphone), it should do!

Agreed, but I need to know whether it actually does or not. And also whether it supports fast Line2 switching by pressing the hash key or similar ?

Thanks again,

Boo

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mikeydav
As I understand it they are standard base level Smartphone OS features. Until someone has one and tries it tho, there's no way to say 100% ;)

Well there are reports here that the Samsung i320 dosen't support Line2 and also the iMate ROM I'm using in my C600 doesn't support #-key fast switching so I don't think all you say can be correct ? I really need someone to actually try this, if anyone here owns an i620 ?

Thanks,

Boo

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.