The (Java) MIDlet Bible

Guest Menneisyys

Guest Menneisyys

UPDATE (04/19/2008):

1. Unfortunately, it seems none of the Jbed 3.1 versions are able to run Opera Mini 4.1 beta on touchscreen-less MS Smartphones (but NOT on Pocket PC's!!!) if you switch to other apps (for example, the home screen) and, then, back, you will no longer be able to control Opera Mini. I've tested this on my WM5 s310 / Oxygen (major problems) and, with HTC's recently-released ROM upgrade, upgraded WM6 s710 / Vox (not that frequent problems but still annoying). At XDA-Devs, other people have also reported the same problem with their Smartphones.

If you do encounter problems like this and can't refrain from task switching, you'll want to downgrade to the Cloudyfa 2.1 version available HERE. Note that it can safely co-exist with 3.1 if you've installed the latter in another directory (for example, on a storage card or a flash disk) - then, it's only the file associations that will be needed to, say, quickly switched if you don't want to manually deploy a MIDlet from inside the GUI of the specific MIDlet manager. That is, you don't need to delete Jbed 3.1 if you plan to keep it for example for M3G gaming.

Note that touchscreen-equipped Pocket PC's do NOT suffer from this problem!

2. Ebenezer has released a fixed version of his Jbed 3.1 MIDlet manager HERE. Now, it does create a link file in Start Menu / Programs on both Pocket PC's and MS Smartphones. It also installs to any target media (not only "Storage Card"s) without problems. Note one caveat, though: the link file (the one the installer puts in the Start menu) has \Storage Card wired in, which doesn't work with any storage card (or flash disk) named other than "Storage Card". Hope this is fixed some time; in the meantime, just manually edit the link file to have the correct path.

Guest Menneisyys

UPDATE (04/25/2008):

1. XDA-Developers forum member m3uch4 has published a decent tutorial on creating shortcuts for Jbed – highly recommended.

2. badbob001, who has just released a new, 0.09b version of his StartOperaMini by adding the exclude list feature (and a LOT of other goodies – make sur eyou check out the dedicated XDA-Devs thread!), has found out a pretty easy-to-use fix for the above-mentioned Jbed 3.1 resume bug: if you have Direct Address Input disabled (it’s enabled by default), press #1 to open the Enter Address window. Then cancel out and the Opera Mini screen should be responsive again. (BTW, this might work with other dialogs requiring manual input – I don’t know, haven’t tested the latter.) Incidentally, he has also found out the problem is surely a Jbed-related issue because the Gmail MIDlet is also affected by it. Let me cite him: “One thing you may want to investigate is Jbed's background running option. If I run jbed, turn on background running, then launch opera mini, the problem seems to not occur with my limited testing. Since I prefer to directly launch opera mini, it would also be nice to have a way to enable background running by default.

If enabling background running really fixes the issue, then I guess it's a bug with jbed 3.1 restoring itself from its own suspend mode.

• 1 month later...
Guest Tikky7

Can you have multiple KVMs on one phone JBLEND + JBED, I have a Samsung Blackjack 2 with JBLEND pre-installed but would also like to try out JBED. Could you post the details in getting this installed?

Also at the moment when a jar file is clicked it is installed and associated with JBLEND directly. If I do get to install JBED as well, how will the association change and is it possible to mix and match MIDlets with KVMs? If these questions are irrelevant or stupid please advise.

Edited by Tikky7

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Menneisyys
Can you have multiple KVMs on one phone JBLEND + JBED, I have a Samsung Blackjack 2 with JBLEND pre-installed but would also like to try out JBED. Could you post the details in getting this installed?

Also at the moment when a jar file is clicked it is installed and associated with JBLEND directly. If I do get to install JBED as well, how will the association change and is it possible to mix and match MIDlets with KVMs? If these questions are irrelevant or stupid please advise.

you can. i think i've explained this somewhere in the Bible. The only problem is the need for re-assigning file extensions if you Want to deploy Millets by clicking them from Fite Explorer

However both apps allow for deploying MIDlets from inside them so they can perfectly co-exist

Guest Menneisyys

btw, Sorry for my spelling mistakes. I'm using a slate TabletPC to enter text and text recognitiondoesn'talways work

Guest jaikben

on my xda flame, I have great problems with java ( 3d games ) in vga resolution, which one is best to be used as almost all games are displayed ate one 1/4 of the screen

• 1 month later...
Guest Menneisyys
on my xda flame, I have great problems with java ( 3d games ) in vga resolution, which one is best to be used as almost all games are displayed ate one 1/4 of the screen

Look up the games in the game compatibility chart that fill up the entire VGA screen. There are quite a few of them.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LeiChat

I tried to install the GMail application and it's just unusable on my Diamond.

Any advice please on how to uninstall / remove it completely? (Without hard resetting / flashing please)

• 4 months later...
Guest Menneisyys
I tried to install the GMail application and it's just unusable on my Diamond.

Any advice please on how to uninstall / remove it completely? (Without hard resetting / flashing please)

If you have Jbed, highlight it from Jbed and select Menu / Actions / Uninstall.

Guest Menneisyys

Opera Mini + (W)VGA users, attention: a hacked, VGA-friendly Jbed version has been released!

(Technical note: as of 01/02/2009 2:57 AM CET, the images in the article and the mirrored download aren’t accessible. Hope they’ll become available in about 10 hours. That is, make sure you check back in 10-15 hours if you’d really want to see them. Sorry for the inconvenience - my database back-end has been having problems and the CS people have been away.)

As has been explained in THIS article (alternative HERE), the probably best MIDlet manager (the environment needed to run, among other things, the excellent, free Opera Mini Web browser), Jbed has never been the most optimal solution to run Opera Mini (or other text-intensive apps) on high-resolution (VGA or WVGA – that is, not QVGA!) devices, mostly because it only used pretty small characters even with Opera Mini’s using extra large ones.

Up until now, the only solution was going for alternative MIDlet managers if you wanted something better with considerably larger character sizes: either the vastly outdated and no longer supported IBM J9, TAO Intent (see the MIDlet bible for more info on them) or the somewhat better, but still handicapped (no full screen mode) hacked Jblend.

Fortunately, a helpful soul at XDA-Developers has hacked the latest and greatest 20080912.5.1 version of Jbed for VGA devices. Now, it sports considerably larger characters than the non-hacked version. Let me show you a direct comparison between the two.

First, the old version displaying a DPReview article and the main menu:

jbed5OMiniDPL-oldJbed.png

Then, the new version, showing the DPR article:

jbed5OMiniDPL.png

and the main menu:

OpMiniMenyAccess.png

See the difference? Huge, isn’t it?

You can download the new Jbed version HERE – get the Esmertec Jbed 20080912.5.1.zip (direct link HERE; requires free registration ; I’ve also mirrored it HERE).

Warning: No sound!

As opposed to the, in this regard, best Cloudyfa 20070802.2.1 (see THIS), it doesn’t support sound. That is, you might want to hack the two into separate directories, should you want to keep a Jbed version with sound for your games.

I have tried my JSR82 apps on the Samsung OMNIA i900, it has a JVM with JSR82 support and work fine. Then I have tried on my HTC Doamind and it does not work but I have followed the next guide and I verified that the support is possible because the couple Mysaifu J2SE virtual machine + bluecove work fine.

Link: http://www.mayrhofer.eu.org/Default.aspx?p...4&pageid=80

I have copied the JVM from the Omnia to my HTC Diamond but it does not work because credential issues or something like that.

Regards

Guest Menneisyys
I have tried my JSR82 apps on the Samsung OMNIA i900, it has a JVM with JSR82 support and work fine. Then I have tried on my HTC Doamind and it does not work but I have followed the next guide and I verified that the support is possible because the couple Mysaifu J2SE virtual machine + bluecove work fine.

Link: http://www.mayrhofer.eu.org/Default.aspx?p...4&pageid=80

I have copied the JVM from the Omnia to my HTC Diamond but it does not work because credential issues or something like that.

Regards

You might want to repost your q to the Dev & Hacking forum ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=260 ) of XDA-Devs - probably someone is able to help there. After all, a lot of WinMo people are looking for a JVM with working JSR82.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest semmtexx

I have a quick question for you. I am using JBED version 20080610.2.1. I am trying to do two things but even after googling and trying suggestions I can't figure this out. How do I : 1: make a start menu shortcut for opera mini 5, and 2: make opera mini 5 my default browser? The default browser question may not be able to be answered her. Thanks for any help!!