Card reader advice

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi everyone, I need some advice and this is the best place to ask.

My trusty old multi sd-card reader died on me last night and now I have nothing to copy large files to my sd-card with. Get a new one I hear you say but that’s the problem.

Let me explain, years ago when I had the E100 and I tried to cram as much music and movies as possible onto my 512Mb sd card I bought myself a PQI seven in one card reader. While the card reader itself worked it would not read any cards that where used in the E100, they would always show up as Greek characters.

If I formatted the sd card via my pc then I could use the card in my E100 but if I changed anything on the sd card I could not read it in my card reader. Very strange indeed and when I upgraded to the E200 it was exactly the same, I even bought another card reader and that was the same. What was even stranger is I could read sd cards from my camera fine its only cards that where used in my E100/E200.

One day at work my boss pulled out his old PQI multi card reader but his had a built-in 65Mb drive as well and lo and behold he could read and write to my sd cards without screwing them up. I was amazed and try to get one but they where a very old device and no longer in production so I gave up.

Then by chance a mate of mine who was clearing out a load of old stuff gave me three card readers and said if one of them work with my phone then I can keep it and after a few minutes testing I found one that did. The other two would not but one did, its an unbranded seven in one USB2 card reader and I have been using it ever since.

But now it does not work and I need another card reader but I don’t want to go out and buy a dozen readers and fine none of them work so can any of you recommend a card reader that will work with SD/Mini/Micro cards from C500, C550, Virgin Lobster, HTC Magician, HTC Wizard, HTC Blue Angel and Dell X51v please?

Thanks for listening.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

I know I need to buy a new one, but I don’t know which one to buy that will work.

Sorry if I did not make that clear, I know card readers don’t cost much but I am hoping a few of you will say 'I have xxxx card reader and it reads all my Smartphone/PPc cards without any problems' then I can try and get one of those.

Guest jimbouk

You did make your self clear. What format are you using on your card?

Since formatting as FAT32, I have never had a problem with file transfer between phone and pc.

(At least you can slowly copy big files with USB whilst hunting one down).

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi again, I just format the card on my device. When I put this into my card reader it shows as FAT32.

I know this sounds strange but I have put my cards into other card readers and it shows the same. Of all the card readers I have tried only three of them work (my boss, my friend and my broken one), they all read cards from other devices etc just fine but when I put my cards into other readers they come up in Greek!!

I know I can copy via ActiveSync but do you know how long it takes to copy 1Gb of map data ZZZzzz...

I have tried to find those readers but they have all been superseded with new ones and the ones I have tried don’t work.

Do you use a card reader? can you read cards from your device? if so what’s the make/model of your card reader and what device do you have please?

Thanks again.

Guest Dr_StrangeTrick

Hi all, just to let you know.

I couldn't get hold of the ones you have, they where listed everywhere but no one had any in stock so I went for this one (I needed a new hub anyway) and it does the trick I can read all of my cards so highly recommended