Questions about HP IPAQ 610

Guest spider

so I have searched the Internet 1000 of times and MoDaCo as well, but still no (new) information about the HP IPAQ 610 :)

Well actually there is information about it out there, but it is all the same..only specs and a few videos about the unit, BUT what I would like to see is more in debt information about how to use the thumbwheel (or soft wheel or whatever it is called)...what I am after is how do you make a selection after you have scrolled to the decided item...in other words were is the "action key" like on the D-pad or joystick enabled units?

...Ooh and if you have any good links for the unit please let me know as well :(

Thank s in advance :D

PS: Just found a Danish web site

http://www.pc-netto.dk/asp/index1024.asp?v...fromgo=yes&

were you can actually buy the unit and the delivery time is set to the 15th of November 2007...pretty amazing considering it will not be released before 2008 (from what I have seen). Well I have emailed the company and asked if they have any in stock...just to see the reaction...I will keep you posted...it could get interesting ;)

• 1 month later...

so the latest update is (after I called HP directly, since they didn't answer my two emails):

The unit will not be released until the the end of January or beginning of February (at least in Denmark) so I guess we (who wants/needs one) still have to wait a bit :(

Well the second question I had to the supporter (which was by the way pretty competent by the way)was how the thump wheel worked (how to press for "action" and if it would work as a D-pad), he told me that the front "thump wheel", will work as an D-pad as well, meaning you don't necessarily need to scroll with the wheel but it can be pressed in any directions and the courser (or whatever) will move. The action button is the key 5 which also have a small indicator in the button as well. This was rather good news, especially for people who is gaming with the unit.

As for the web page I mentioned below...they have of course nothing in stock...but it is still on the web page...

I any event, I guess we will just have wait a couple of month...even though it is going to be hard...VERY hard indeed. (my current C550 will only work if I am almost crushing the stick (and it is the second one I have already :D )

On thing that could be nice to hear...am I the only one who is eager to have this terminal?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

latest update: I just talked with the Danish Ipaq/HP product manager (the Danish telesupporter was so nice to include his direct phone number, so I could call him myself :) )

The device will ship mid February but only in English version (the 610/c version) and the Danish version (the 614/c) would ship in start or mid March.

He explained that the reason for the delay was due to the fact that they would not ship unless they had a stable and "bullet proof" unit...

Next interesting issue I had to ask the product manager (which was quite nice though he sounded surprised that I even had his number)...I just had to be sure about the front "touch dial"...it does not respond to any press in the middle (the 5 key) but instead the "enter" key should be used. Now I also saw on another web site that it does not work as a point and press ("compass" navigation) even though I was told so...

Well...no matter what...I just cant wait until next month...even though it is not the Danish version...

• 4 weeks later...
Hi spider,

Did you buy one yet?

I ordered one HP Ipaq 614C yesterday at www.proshop.dk - cant wait to test it!

Hi Joost39...sorry for the late reply..didn't see your post until now..

Yes I got my terminal yesterday and boy what a terminal...it is MUCH better than I could dream of. My big concern was if it was a true one-hand device...and it IS

Another big issue was: how does that thump wheel work..and it works GOOOOOOOOD...and I found out that not only is it a thump wheel...it is also a D-PAD...YES...you simple put you finger on key 5 and slide your finger to one of the directions you want to go...and keep you finger in that direction if you want to scroll...isn't that just NIIIIICE :) :D

so you it is a true one hand device as you can control everything from the key pad...so my dreams came true....guess this is my dream device :D

Of course you also have the touch screen and the 3 way controller on the left side and they are quite convenient as well, but not if your riding your bike and texting at the same time (upps did I say that...guess that's illegal in DK)

Now I only have to get used to the PPC interface as I have only use the standard edition before.

Also I will have to tweak it so that it will get Danish letters both in the eT9 list and on the keyboard....anyone know how that is done? (I know how it is done for the standard winmo, but not for the Pro winmo. Anyone? Thanks

Yes I got my terminal yesterday and boy what a terminal...it is MUCH better than I could dream of. My big concern was if it was a true one-hand device...and it IS

My big question is..... what is the GPS like?

Do you need to download teh AGPS info or does it get a lock without?

How fast does it get a lock?

(p.s. you can get google maps for free to try it out)

My big question is..... what is the GPS like?

Do you need to download teh AGPS info or does it get a lock without?

How fast does it get a lock?

(p.s. you can get Google maps for free to try it out)

Honestly...I haven't tried it so far...so I am sorry I am not able to help you at this point :)

Guest Mark0824
Honestly...I haven't tried it so far...so I am sorry I am not able to help you at this point :)

How does it fell in your hand? I had an iPhone and a Touch and I am a bit worried it will feel way bigger (i know it is bigger then both) and wont fit on a pocket as easy.

Thanks

Guest Joost39

Another big issue was: how does that thump wheel work..and it works GOOOOOOOOD...and I found out that not only is it a thump wheel...it is also a D-PAD...YES...you simple put you finger on key 5 and slide your finger to one of the directions you want to go...and keep you finger in that direction if you want to scroll...isn't that just NIIIIICE :) :D

so you it is a true one hand device as you can control everything from the key pad...so my dreams came true....guess this is my dream device :D

Of course you also have the touch screen and the 3 way controller on the left side and they are quite convenient as well, but not if your riding your bike and texting at the same time (upps did I say that...guess that's illegal in DK)

Now I only have to get used to the PPC interface as I have only use the standard edition before.

Also I will have to tweak it so that it will get Danish letters both in the eT9 list and on the keyboard....anyone know how that is done? (I know how it is done for the standard winmo, but not for the Pro winmo. Anyone? Thanks

Hi spider and thx for the nice reply! Sounds really nice :0) - mine is on the way, through Postdanmark tomorrow I can se on the trackinginfo...

Cant wait to load on my GARMIN Mobile XT or TT6....

How does it fell in your hand? I had an iPhone and a Touch and I am a bit worried it will feel way bigger (i know it is bigger then both) and wont fit on a pocket as easy.

Thanks

Well, since I don't know the iPhone and Touch (haven't played with them) I cant compare them, but what I can say is that it is noticeable thinner than I thought. My other phone is the S710 and that is thicker than the 614. The back and the front of the 614 is also having a rubber coating meaning that you actually have a good grip on it and it feels kinda soft. Though it is a bit wider and longer than the 710 it actually feels lighter.

Now that I come to think about it, it SEEMS to be a bit smaller than the ITouch, but it is only on top of my head as I have only seen the Itouch by "sight" and not hold it physically...

Pocket wise I think it fits okay, though I have it in a pouch in the belt (don't like to have things in my pocket).

Hope that helps :D

Edited by spider

Hi spider and thx for the nice reply! Sounds really nice :0) - mine is on the way, through Postdanmark tomorrow I can se on the trackinginfo...

Cant wait to load on my GARMIN Mobile XT or TT6....

Joost39...let me know when you get it...would like to know what YOU think about it :D

Hi spider!

What about GPS? Could you tell us few words about it? :D

sorry, but I haven't had the time to test it..yet (work and ill daughter and wife is taking most of my time at the moment)..sorry :(

Guest TopDog812
how does that thump wheel work...it is also a D-PAD...YES...you simple put you finger on key 5 and slide your finger to one of the directions you want to go...and keep you finger in that direction if you want to scroll...isn't that just NIIIIICE :D :(

Sounds nice!

Does that D-PAD work in 3rd-party applications and Java-Apps/-games, too??

Sounds nice!

Does that D-PAD work in 3rd-party applications and Java-Apps/-games, too??

haven't had the time to even install sw into the unit yet...so I cant say..but it work 99.9% in all other app. Though in the calender month view it doesn't, well it does but it selects only whole weeks and not single days, which is a bit annoying, so the only thing to do is to switch to another view and then use the d-pad to select single days...quite strange actually...but I am not sure how that works on other WinMo pro units. Of course you can also use the stylus to select a single day in month view, but it is not as convenient as single hand use (IMHO)

Guest TopDog812
haven't had the time to even install sw into the unit yet...so I cant say

Ok! Could you please tell me the result, when you checked some apps? That would be nice! :D

spider: Please could you write in your opinion: how strong is brightness and lighting of display and how is 614c loud when you calling. Thank you so much :D

brightness is actually quite good.. right now I have it set to half power and it is clearly visible in daylight. also there is a brightness setting for both battery power and for mains power. keyboard color is blue and seems to be non adjustable but it is not very bright which suits me well as I tend to get tired eyes if it is too bright. however one thing that puzzles me is that there are no lights in the softkeys.. quite odd... but of course you can feel them in the darkness :-)

the volume can be turned up quite high.... almost to the point were it is distorted... which is a bit to much actually. the sound for the ringtones thoug is quite low but then again then the standard ringtones really sucks... I will definitely replace them with my own... maybe they will seem louder.

hope that helps ;-)

if any of you have experience or know were to find information about implementing a XT9 language pack to WinMo Pro I would like to know. I tried to use a winMo std, but couldn't get it to work and the reg tweak that needs to be done seems to be different on Win Mo Pro due to different file structure comparing the Win Mo std.

Tried to search the forum as well, but no luck :(

So any info would be great (specially if it is including Danish language pack)

Thanks a million :D

Guest TopDog812

Unfortunately I can't tell you something about T9.

But I have another question about the D-Pad:

Do you have to touch the keys for navigation like the touch wheel or can you press them for navigation, too?

I hope, you understood my question.

Greetings,

TopDog812

Guest Spree
brightness is actually quite good.. right now I have it set to half power and it is clearly visible in daylight. also there is a brightness setting for both battery power and for mains power. keyboard color is blue and seems to be non adjustable but it is not very bright which suits me well as I tend to get tired eyes if it is too bright. however one thing that puzzles me is that there are no lights in the softkeys.. quite odd... but of course you can feel them in the darkness :-)

the volume can be turned up quite high.... almost to the point were it is distorted... which is a bit to much actually. the sound for the ringtones thoug is quite low but then again then the standard ringtones really sucks... I will definitely replace them with my own... maybe they will seem louder.

hope that helps ;-)

spider: Please, did you already test your own ringtones? Play they louder?

And about brightness: "quite good" Did you mean that brihtness could be better?

Thanx

Edited by Spree