Questions about HP IPAQ 610

Guest spider

Guest dirlan2001
spider: Please could you write in your opinion: how strong is brightness and lighting of display and how is 614c loud when you calling. Thank you so much :D

Hi all,

I got a iPAQ 614c sice last week. After 1 week, I can tell you : this baby ROCKS ....

Screen : Sharp, clear, exellent playback with TCPMP

Sound : soft, speaker is located on the back

GSM : as good as it gets ; speakerphone rather quiet ; BT headset (Jabra BT500) amplifies VERY good ( on the edge of causing ear-damage)

GPS : first fix took some time, tested with VisualGPSce, Navio, TomTom 6 : rocksolid always 8-9 satelites in view and in use

Camera : sucks (see attachment) ; funny : the 'mirror' on the back for selfportraits is rather good

Smart Wheel : WOW, acts like a touchpad, without taking the place of it.

Keypad : needs real pressing, not for weak fly-overs

WM 6 : needs tweaking :(

Hope this helps,

Dirk

post-362897-1204489950_thumb.jpg

post-362897-1204489985_thumb.jpg

Guest TopDog812

Did you already tested it with 3rd party applications and Java tools/games? Does the Smart Wheel/D-Pad work with them correctly?

I hope you can help me! Because I think its really needed in some applications and Java games to navigate to the right and the left.

Guest dirlan2001
dirlan2001: "Spekarephone rather quiet"? spider wrote that the volume is pretty high... :D

Yep, with the volume at 100% it's quiet, compared to my V3xx, that is. As I pointed out : the speaker is on the backside, so when your phone is on your desk, the sound is baffled.

I need also to add : the stylus is located in a very akward place : left bottom. This means : if you're righthanded and you need to pick your stylus from the phone in your left hand, you'll need acrobatic lessons.

Dirk

Guest dirlan2001
Did you already tested it with 3rd party applications and Java tools/games? Does the Smart Wheel/D-Pad work with them correctly?

I hope you can help me! Because I think its really needed in some applications and Java games to navigate to the right and the left.

Not really.... My main use for this phone is navigation and telephony. I tested Opera Mini, but it didn't want to connect over WiFi. On the other hand : Yahoo Go2 works very well. I don't have games installed : if I want action, I go out for a walk in the woods :D

I've TomTom 6, OziExplorer, WiFiFofum, VisualGPSce,Vito AudioNotes, Esmertec Jbed, HandyConverter, Engineering Calculator, Office 6.1, OneNote Mobile, pmClean, PocketRAR, ResInfo, TCPMP, tMan, Total Commander, Schap's Advanced Config, Resco Keyboard, Tillano PocketNotepad, Best Regedit, .... running on it without any problem.

PageFile set to 4 MB, NetCF 3.5 set as default, and some other reg-tweaks inherited from XDA-dev hx4700 forum ....

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest TopDog812
I've TomTom 6, OziExplorer, WiFiFofum, VisualGPSce,Vito AudioNotes, Esmertec Jbed, HandyConverter, Engineering Calculator, Office 6.1, OneNote Mobile, pmClean, PocketRAR, ResInfo, TCPMP, tMan, Total Commander, Schap's Advanced Config, Resco Keyboard, Tillano PocketNotepad, Best Regedit, .... running on it without any problem.

Spider wrote, that you can navigate left and right by touching the keys 4 or 6.

Does that work in these programs (for example Total Commander or OneNote Mobile)?

Guest dirlan2001
Spider wrote, that you can navigate left and right by touching the keys 4 or 6.

Does that work in these programs (for example Total Commander or OneNote Mobile)?

You can use the smartwheel to scroll left-right, up-down, yes. It works in all programs I use so far. Best in combination with the 'OK' and 'Enter' buttons. The '5' touch-button seems not to respond..... but that might be me.

Guest Spree
Yep, with the volume at 100% it's quiet, compared to my V3xx, that is. As I pointed out : the speaker is on the backside, so when your phone is on your desk, the sound is baffled.

I need also to add : the stylus is located in a very akward place : left bottom. This means : if you're righthanded and you need to pick your stylus from the phone in your left hand, you'll need acrobatic lessons.

Dirk

But when you normally calling through ear (without handsfree or loudspeaker) it's OK or volume is low?

Edited by Spree

Guest TopDog812
You can use the smartwheel to scroll left-right, up-down, yes. It works in all programs I use so far. Best in combination with the 'OK' and 'Enter' buttons. The '5' touch-button seems not to respond..... but that might be me.

Wonderful! Thank you!

But what happens, if you write a sms?

Everytime you press a key, you inevitable touch the Smart Wheel. Does that makes the cursor jumping around during typing? :D

Edited by TopDog812

Guest spider
Wonderful! Thank you!

But what happens, if you write a sms?

Everytime you press a key, you inevitable touch the Smart Wheel. Does that makes the cursor jumping around during typing? :(

actually I thought of the same problem, but I have not seen it as a problem so far...the cursor will not jump around as one would think, however I have come across that some times it jump a bit when, by mistake I scroll the "wheel", but I guess it is just a matter of getting used to not to scroll when texting, but under normal circumstances I don't have the problem.

The manual also states that the wheel can be turned off by pressing the OK button for a period of time, but it does not work on mine :D I can only turn it of in my settings, but then you will have to go trough menus and stuff, which is not very convenient

Guest spider

the 5 button is your "reference point". It works like putting your finger on that ref. point and the drag to the left, right, up or down. If the finger does not start on 5 the wheel does not recognize it as a Dpad....that is how I see it... other than that 5 does not have any mechanical function (other than acting as number 5 and the letters on the key :D )

The OK button and the ENTER button is essential to close the window (OK button used!!) and to select an item (ENTER is used) once you have scrolled to that item. The wheel can not be used for these two functions.

Hope this makes is clearer :(

Guest spider

i just tested INFORMANT 2007 Rev 5 with the wheel and it works quite good. All functions and menus could be selected and worked. Though of course some of the things are easier done with the stylus, like settings colors, but other than that it works great. I can created appointments and edit etc by use of the wheel. Also I tried some app. which was actually meant for the WinMo standard (mobile phone) meaning that the display was not showing off correctly but still the Wheel worked like a charm..

So I guess the conclusion is that the Wheel works with 3rd part app as well :D

Guest spider
Hi all,

I got a iPAQ 614c sice last week. After 1 week, I can tell you : this baby ROCKS ....

Screen : Sharp, clear, exellent playback with TCPMP

Sound : soft, speaker is located on the back

GSM : as good as it gets ; speakerphone rather quiet ; BT headset (Jabra BT500) amplifies VERY good ( on the edge of causing ear-damage)

GPS : first fix took some time, tested with VisualGPSce, Navio, TomTom 6 : rocksolid always 8-9 satelites in view and in use

Camera : sucks (see attachment) ; funny : the 'mirror' on the back for selfportraits is rather good

Keypad : needs real pressing, not for weak fly-overs

WM 6 : needs tweaking :D

Hope this helps,

Dirk

Hi Dirk..congrats with your new "toy" :(

Could you try the following (I think there might be a couple of bugs in the FW so I need to have a second opinion)

CALENDER: in month view: when using the wheel up down or left and right (or maybe scroll) does your unit scroll by the weeks or by the days. Mine scroll only by weeks, which seems not to be correct (if i compare to a smart phone standard)

CONTACTS: Select a contact with multiple numbers (don't select the contact, just stay in the contacts list view with the contact highlighted). to the left on the screen you will see the H or M or TXT (whatever is selected as default contact method) which has been selected. Now try to select a different contact method for that contact by dragging your finger to the left or right on the wheel (don't scroll). How does the phone behave? on mine the H or M or TXT just keeps scrolling and scrolling and there is no way to stop it unless i exit the screen. This must clearly be a bug. On the WinMo standard it works OK.

OK button: In the manual is says that the wheel can be disabled by pressing the OK button for a period of time. This does not work on my unit. How about yours?

I already tried to do both a hard reset and soft reset but it did not solve the above problems.

If you see that same problems, maybe we should contact HP and ask a bout any solution or similar (updates etc)

Guest spider
But when you normally calling through ear (without handsfree or loudspeaker) it's OK or volume is low?

when calling "through ear" that sound can get pretty high if you turn up the volume to max. That is what I meant :D

Guest dirlan2001

With volume at maximum, it's OK. There's really only one speaker in this phone, so if you call out of hand, you'll bound to muffle the sound somewhat with your hand.

Dirk

Guest dirlan2001
Hi dirlan2001!

Could you take some photos outside, on the sun? :(

Have you tried Skype?

Hi,

I'd like to, you just send me some sun :D

I haven't tested Skype. From my experience on the hx4700, it's not what I expected it to be.

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest dirlan2001
Hi Dirk..congrats with your new "toy" :D

Could you try the following (I think there might be a couple of bugs in the FW so I need to have a second opinion)

CALENDER: in month view: when using the wheel up down or left and right (or maybe scroll) does your unit scroll by the weeks or by the days. Mine scroll only by weeks, which seems not to be correct (if i compare to a smart phone standard)

CONTACTS: Select a contact with multiple numbers (don't select the contact, just stay in the contacts list view with the contact highlighted). to the left on the screen you will see the H or M or TXT (whatever is selected as default contact method) which has been selected. Now try to select a different contact method for that contact by dragging your finger to the left or right on the wheel (don't scroll). How does the phone behave? on mine the H or M or TXT just keeps scrolling and scrolling and there is no way to stop it unless i exit the screen. This must clearly be a bug. On the WinMo standard it works OK.

OK button: In the manual is says that the wheel can be disabled by pressing the OK button for a period of time. This does not work on my unit. How about yours?

I already tried to do both a hard reset and soft reset but it did not solve the above problems.

If you see that same problems, maybe we should contact HP and ask a bout any solution or similar (updates etc)

Hi,

I tested all your issues.

Calendar : as far as I can see it, the scrollwheel replaces the 2 little arrows on the topleft of your screen : these arrows let you go through your calendar week by week. The same goes for the 'year' or 'week' view. The scroll acts the same as the 2 arrows in the topleft corner.

Contacts : it took some training, but with a steady hand and slowly starting from '5' button left or right, let's me scroll through a contacts' numbers and e-mail adresses. But you really need a STEADY hand. It flips more one up or down the contactlist, then flipping through one contact's numbers... but, yeah it works. I guess it looks like you have faulty hardware there.

The OK button : if you mean the OK button on the keypad : it's not working. If you mean the first button (left side, topmost) : it works. Just keep that button pressed until a little 'lock' appears next to the Speaker/Phone/Battery icons.

Soft reset doesn't bring anything, unless you've been playing around in the registry. Hard reset can be done from the Start/Settings/System/Factory Recovery.....

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest ConstSPB
I've Vito AudioNotes

Hi dirlan2001!

Did you try record telephone talks by it soft? Does interest - your speech is record only or interlocutor also?

Guest willyboy666

hi there, i own a Asus p525 since 1,5 years and the device has a great power.

now i am ready for upgrade to a new device and i am lagging between asus p750 and the hp 614c.

i have couple of questions i hope you can answer me about:

1.does it have stereo speakers??

2.does it support micro sdhc??

3.speed of the camera?and video Resolution?

here a small review in a wiered language a found

PPC-DOC

Guest alkandery75

Please keep it up.. I'm planning to get one, but I read some where else that it has some hangs and issues... So, please advice...

Thanks a lot in advance and Best regards,,,

Guest tjuren
Please keep it up.. I'm planning to get one, but I read some where else that it has some hangs and issues... So, please advice...

Thanks a lot in advance and Best regards,,,

Hello,

Where did you read about the problems ?

Regards

// T

Guest alkandery75
Hello,

Where did you read about the problems ?

Regards

// T

I read it in Expansys... He return the device and ask for refund as well...