Questions about HP IPAQ 610

Guest spider

Guest dirlan2001
Hi dirlan2001!

Did you try record telephone talks by it soft? Does interest - your speech is record only or interlocutor also?

Not yet, sorry .....

Guest dirlan2001
hi there, i own a Asus p525 since 1,5 years and the device has a great power.

now i am ready for upgrade to a new device and i am lagging between asus p750 and the hp 614c.

i have couple of questions i hope you can answer me about:

1.does it have stereo speakers??

2.does it support micro sdhc??

3.speed of the camera?and video Resolution?

here a small review in a wiered language a found

PPC-DOC

Hi,

This phone has NO stereospeakers. It supports stereo-headset over BT.

Its supports microSDHC. I've a 4 GB inserted now.

Camera is a toy. Shutterlag is HIGH. Quality ? See included pics .....

post-362897-1204980431_thumb.jpg

post-362897-1204980447_thumb.jpg

post-362897-1204980459_thumb.jpg

Guest dirlan2001
Please keep it up.. I'm planning to get one, but I read some where else that it has some hangs and issues... So, please advice...

Thanks a lot in advance and Best regards,,,

Very strange indeed... I've this baby for two weeks now, and so far never ever had any problem with it. It's all day in my truck, running TomTom, WiFi and BT headset without problem. The only thing : the camera is SLOW to start, SLOOOOOOw to make a pic, quality is nowhere near a 3MP camera (it uses CMOS instead of CCD) ....

Cheers

Dirk

Guest Xenus

dirlan2001, please take a photo of A4 text list with maximum quality and resolution and post it here, i think much of us need camera in pda only for it.

Guest dirlan2001
dirlan2001, please take a photo of A4 text list with maximum quality and resolution and post it here, i think much of us need camera in pda only for it.

Here you go :D

Cheers,

Dirk

post-362897-1205005526_thumb.jpg

post-362897-1205005545_thumb.jpg

post-362897-1205005570_thumb.jpg

post-362897-1205005694_thumb.jpg

post-362897-1205005718_thumb.jpg

Guest christosr

Hi all!

I have been searching the net for a few weeks now about this phone.

This will be my first attempt to go into the PDA/SmartPhone world, and I must say I am little bit confused.

Right now, I am seriously considering the HP IPAQ 614c.

I am a "keyboard person" so I wouldn't go with a touch only phone (i.e. iPhone, HTC Touch etc).

The 614c specs look awesome, but the only thing that is not clear to me is the issue with the GPS.

How does this work on the 614c? Does it need some kind of third-party software to give you point-to-point directions, like a GPS navigation device? Does it have a GPS receiver built-in? Like the SIRFStar III ?

Could someone please explain the difference between the GPS and the A-GPS in regard to this specific phone?

In other words, can this phone work as a GPS navigation device out-of-the-box, without relying on being connected on a WiFi network?

Let's say you travel to a country in Europe, you don't have access to WiFi; how GPS will function on 614c?

I would appreciate any help, especially from peope who already have this phone.

Thank you so much.

Christos R.

Edited by christosr

Guest Joost39

Assisted GPS

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GPS is a satellite based positioning system. Assisted GPS, or A-GPS was introduced to enhance performance. The development of A-GPS was accelerated by the U.S. FCC's E911 mandate requiring the position of a cell phone to be available to emergency call dispatchers. [1]

Conventional GPS then had difficulty providing reliable positions in poor signal conditions. For example when surrounded by tall buildings (as a result of multipath), or when the satellite signals are weakened by being indoors or under trees. Some newer receivers are far better.

In addition, when first turned on in these conditions, some non-A-GPS units may not be able to download the almanac and ephemeris information from the GPS satellites, rendering them unable to function until a clear signal can be received continuously for up to one minute.

An A-GPS receiver can address these problems in several ways, using an Assistance Server:

The Assistance Server can locate the phone roughly by what cell site it is connected to on the cellular network.

The Assistance Server has a good satellite signal, and lots of computation power, so it can compare fragmentary signals relayed to it by cell phones, with the satellite signal it receives directly, and then inform the cell phone or emergency services of the cell phone's position.

It can supply orbital data for the GPS satellites to the cell phone, enabling the cell phone to lock to the satellites when it otherwise could not, and autonomously calculate its position.

It can have better knowledge of ionospheric conditions and other errors affecting the GPS signal than the cell phone alone, enabling more precise calculation of position. (See also Wide Area Augmentation System)

Some A-GPS solutions require an active connection to a cell phone (or other data) network to function, in others [2] [3] it simply makes positioning faster and more accurate, but is not required.

As an additional benefit, it can reduce both the amount of CPU and programming required for a GPS Phone by offloading most of the work onto the assistance server. (This is not a large amount for a basic GPS - many early GPSs ran on 386/16 or similar hardware).

It doesent work as good as SiRf Star lll, at least not for me.

There comes no navigationsoftware with it but one can use Googlemaps and so on or buy Tomtom, Garmin iGO.

Guest dirlan2001
Hi all!

I have been searching the net for a few weeks now about this phone.

This will be my first attempt to go into the PDA/SmartPhone world, and I must say I am little bit confused.

Right now, I am seriously considering the HP IPAQ 614c.

I am a "keyboard person" so I wouldn't go with a touch only phone (i.e. iPhone, HTC Touch etc).

The 614c specs look awesome, but the only thing that is not clear to me is the issue with the GPS.

How does this work on the 614c? Does it need some kind of third-party software to give you point-to-point directions, like a GPS navigation device? Does it have a GPS receiver built-in? Like the SIRFStar III ?

Could someone please explain the difference between the GPS and the A-GPS in regard to this specific phone?

In other words, can this phone work as a GPS navigation device out-of-the-box, without relying on being connected on a WiFi network?

Let's say you travel to a country in Europe, you don't have access to WiFi; how GPS will function on 614c?

I would appreciate any help, especially from peope who already have this phone.

Thank you so much.

Christos R.

Hi,

I'm using this phone now for 2 weeks (one of the first in Belgium if not the first). The built in GPS chipset is a 'normal' GPS with Assisted GPS included. A-GPS is used to enhance the speed of the first fix after booting. If you start up the phone (cold) you'll see a bleu led blinking for some minutes. That's the GPS looking around for 'his/her' location. That blinbking stops and the first impression is tored. As soon you open up you're navigationsoftware the GPS recalculates his/her position and gives almost 'at once' your current location.

There's NO navigationsoft included. You'll need to get TomTom 6 (the best IMHO) or Navigon 6.2 separatly and install it from you're computer via the USB connection.

As soon as you're software has a 'fix', A-GPS is not used anymore, unless you go through long tunnels (e.g the Swiss St. Gothard tunnel). The software relies on the built-in chip. I use TomTom, and AFAIK I've not been waiting for a fix more as 30 sec- 1 minute. Which is very fast, compared to my previous system with a BT-GPS SirF III, and means you'll have a fix before the software is up and running.

In all, I'm very pleased with this phone, except for the camera (see the posted pics). I don't have really tested the battery, because I use it mainly as navigational aid and have it plugged in the carcharger all day.

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest christosr
Hi,

I'm using this phone now for 2 weeks (one of the first in Belgium if not the first). The built in GPS chipset is a 'normal' GPS with Assisted GPS included. A-GPS is used to enhance the speed of the first fix after booting. If you start up the phone (cold) you'll see a bleu led blinking for some minutes. That's the GPS looking around for 'his/her' location. That blinbking stops and the first impression is tored. As soon you open up you're navigationsoftware the GPS recalculates his/her position and gives almost 'at once' your current location.

There's NO navigationsoft included. You'll need to get TomTom 6 (the best IMHO) or Navigon 6.2 separatly and install it from you're computer via the USB connection.

As soon as you're software has a 'fix', A-GPS is not used anymore, unless you go through long tunnels (e.g the Swiss St. Gothard tunnel). The software relies on the built-in chip. I use TomTom, and AFAIK I've not been waiting for a fix more as 30 sec- 1 minute. Which is very fast, compared to my previous system with a BT-GPS SirF III, and means you'll have a fix before the software is up and running.

In all, I'm very pleased with this phone, except for the camera (see the posted pics). I don't have really tested the battery, because I use it mainly as navigational aid and have it plugged in the carcharger all day.

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi Dirk

Thank you so much for this first-hand information.

It was very helpful!

In regard to the camera, I don't care much, since I barely take pics with a phone.

HP 614C has not yet arrived in Cyprus.... :-(

Do you recommend any reliable websites that I should start searching for?

Another Question to all (may sound naive...but I am a newbie...)

What kind of third-party software are available (for free - especially) for the Windows Mobile 6 Pro OS?

Any sites to recommend?

Thank you all

Christos R.

Guest ROGUEx360

Now that these devices are out, and I have mine ordered from expansys (thanks to the MoDaCo voucher :D ), does anyone know where to buy and accessories specific to this phone?

I understand that it does not come with a case in the box, and I can't find any other cases apart from the 1 leather case offered at expansys.

In some HP documentation on the phone they mention a Silicone Skin case which I cannot find anywhere, and also their own Screen Protector.

If anyone knows where to buy those and other accessories in the UK that would be great.

Thanks for the great info here,

Darren.

Guest dirlan2001
Hi Dirk

Thank you so much for this first-hand information.

It was very helpful!

In regard to the camera, I don't care much, since I barely take pics with a phone.

HP 614C has not yet arrived in Cyprus.... :-(

Do you recommend any reliable websites that I should start searching for?

Another Question to all (may sound naive...but I am a newbie...)

What kind of third-party software are available (for free - especially) for the Windows Mobile 6 Pro OS?

Any sites to recommend?

Thank you all

Christos R.

Hi Christos,

I don't know any website in Cyprus. I got my information from http://www.pdashop.be and basic info also from http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=main ..... I also took a look at http://www.expansys.com

For the free apps I mostly look here : http://www.freewareppc.com/

Hope this helps you on the way.

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest dirlan2001
Now that these devices are out, and I have mine ordered from expansys (thanks to the MoDaCo voucher :( ), does anyone know where to buy and accessories specific to this phone?

I understand that it does not come with a case in the box, and I can't find any other cases apart from the 1 leather case offered at expansys.

In some HP documentation on the phone they mention a Silicone Skin case which I cannot find anywhere, and also their own Screen Protector.

If anyone knows where to buy those and other accessories in the UK that would be great.

Thanks for the great info here,

Darren.

Hi Darren,

Maybe you should take a look at http://www.seidioonline.com/ . They have a special system for European customers. And if they don't have it, it doesn't exist :D

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest ROGUEx360

Thanks for the link, unfortunately there is nothing there for the 614. Looks like apart from the two official HP cases, the leather and the silicone skin, there are no other cases for this phone yet. It's even more annoying as all the sites selling the HP official cases only seem to have them on pre-order, even though the phone itself has already been released.

Hopefully I'll find something soon,

cheers,

Darren

Guest theweasel68
GPS : first fix took some time, tested with VisualGPSce, Navio, TomTom 6 : rocksolid always 8-9 satelites in view and in use

Hi,

yesterday I downloaded the NAVIO software on my iPaq 614c, but I couldnt manage to run it. It simply doesnt work at all. Did you change something in the NAVIO settings, after you installed it? If I push "Start", I get an error message "Cannot open port!"

In the Hardware-settings, Com1 is set by default. I tried other Com settings, but either there comes the same error message, or nothing just happens after starting the application... :D

Guest John_Silva

Hello!

I have a Ipaq 614C and I have a problem. When i install the TomTom i can't conect to the GPS. In the HP asset's it appear GPS: Present but in the status appear disable.

Anyone can help me.

Thanks.

John

Guest dirlan2001
Hi,

yesterday I downloaded the NAVIO software on my iPaq 614c, but I couldnt manage to run it. It simply doesnt work at all. Did you change something in the NAVIO settings, after you installed it? If I push "Start", I get an error message "Cannot open port!"

In the Hardware-settings, Com1 is set by default. I tried other Com settings, but either there comes the same error message, or nothing just happens after starting the application... :D

Hi,I hope this is readable. I'm writng from somewhere on the road onmy iPAQ. Check in Settings-System-GPS what com-port is asigned to software. Mine shows : software COM 6 ; hardware COM 8. Make shure your app connects to the softwareport (COM 6 ). Cheers,Dirk

Guest dirlan2001
Hello!

I have a Ipaq 614C and I have a problem. When i install the TomTom i can't conect to the GPS. In the HP asset's it appear GPS: Present but in the status appear disable.

Anyone can help me.

Thanks.

John

Hi ,I guess it's the same issue as the previous post. Have you told TT to use the 'other NMEA GPS', and did you point it to the software port used by theGPS-applet in the system ?Cheers,Dirk

Guest theweasel68
Hi,I hope this is readable. I'm writng from somewhere on the road onmy iPAQ. Check in Settings-System-GPS what com-port is asigned to software. Mine shows : software COM 6 ; hardware COM 8. Make shure your app connects to the softwareport (COM 6 ). Cheers,Dirk

Cheers mate, now it works! BTW, is your Google Maps working? Mine didnt work after I made the change in the settings, so I did following: in the settings: Software COM 8, Hardware COM 6 and in the NAVIO SW: COM 8 --> now my NAVIO as well as GOOGLE MAPS workd (Google Maps, seems to be using COM 8 but I couldnt find settings where to change this...

:D

Guest unileeds

Anyone knows where I can find a indepth review of this phone. From all the websites I have seen (And their stock status), these are flying off the shelves (but you never know might be flying back as well). I am really inclined towards buying one, but I want to read a proper indepth review, things like batterylife, stability and performance!!! I know the info in this topic is quite good but anyone knows where a proper review (in English) is available??

Cheers

Guest willyboy666

to unileeds i have been searching for 2 weeks for a in depth review from a guru for this device , at least couple of benchmark results .

the only thing i found these guys from http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/ promised a review.

they already made an unboxing video.

i wanna really upgrade from my asus p525 ,but as i see the 2 mpx camera of of asus p525 kills the 3 mpx camera of the hp (hope hp will fix there camera in some software update).battery life of asus p525 is the best in the ppc world ,so i dont expect hp will do better.

i like 128 mb ram and 256 rom and gps and the 2,8 inch screen ,the waw factor of the track wheel ipod style(i dunno how is it good in real functions).

i dont like camera,headset is usb no 2,5 or 3,5 ,micro sd in under the battery ,same size as p525(maximum size to carry around).

waiting and waiting for a good review....

PPC-DOC

Guest unileeds

Tracey and Matt have a review on finallly!!! It seems very very very odd that the guys at HP didnt think of putting manual connectivity settings in the unit. Anyone know how bad this "once on 3g cannot return to GSM until soft reset" thing is...!! or if HP are working on a software mod for this.. I mean its gonna be a sinking rock if they dont!