Questions about HP IPAQ 610

Guest spider

Guest Mark0824

I am not sure if someone has brought this up but a hrad reset can be done by turing the phone off. Then holding the voice command button and the power button.

I found this out not through HP but found a post on a HTC phone and gave it a try.

When you do this the words CLean Boot will appear in the upper righth corner of the HP start up screen. It takes about 1-2 minutes then the WMO screen pops up and it is time to calibrate the screen.

Guest dirlan2001
Tracey and Matt have a review on finallly!!! It seems very very very odd that the guys at HP didnt think of putting manual connectivity settings in the unit. Anyone know how bad this "once on 3g cannot return to GSM until soft reset" thing is...!! or if HP are working on a software mod for this.. I mean its gonna be a sinking rock if they dont!

Never encountered this issue. AFAIK you can control the phone throughthe Connectionmanager : turn off the phone and then on again should do it. Cheers,Dirk

Guest dirlan2001
Anyone knows where I can find a indepth review of this phone. From all the websites I have seen (And their stock status), these are flying off the shelves (but you never know might be flying back as well). I am really inclined towards buying one, but I want to read a proper indepth review, things like batterylife, stability and performance!!! I know the info in this topic is quite good but anyone knows where a proper review (in English) is available??

Cheers

Hi,Batterylife is good. Phone on and screen turned off, it uses about 2% of the power overnight. Surfing (this forum) via WiFi takes more power, say about 1% per minute. But the real powerdrain is the GPS. Noway to navigate for more then an hour, using TT6. System is very stable. In the three weeks I'm using this machine, I never had to softreset it due to malfunctioning. The few resets I did were needed after some reg-tweaking (pagefile etc...).Also on performance, I'm happy : GPS, GSM, SMS, AudioNotes, ...all systems functioning very well. No problem to make/receive a phonecall while navigating. TT6 resumes after hangup as if nothing happened.Only drawback I feel upset (i don't use strong language) about, is the camera. That's a real ********** (self-censored)...Cheers,Dirk

Guest dirlan2001
Hello I solve the problem on my 614c with tomtom selecting other nema devices port 6.

Now if any one can help me I whant to now where can i find the Ipaq wireless program that apear in this image.

http://i.expansys.com/i/b/b156155.jpg

Thanks.

Dunno, guess it's some 'marketing enhanced pic' , just to show what the possibilities are...

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest predas

Hi!

I bought this one, 3 days ago. I'm really impressed with it. It's true that the camera is crap and the speaker is not installed in the smartest place...but...the perfect device is still to come...

Anyway,

My iPAQ has an english ROM and i'm portuguese, so, obviously, i won't use the english xt9 dictionary. The problem is that the xt9 is defaulted when I start writing an sms and i have to be selecting the "normal" text input every time i write an sms. Is that possible to disable the xt9 and defaulting the device to use the "normal" input

Or, as an alternative, i could use a portuguese xt9 dictionary, i found some of them around the internet, but i thing they are for htc devices. Can I use them on my ipaq?

Regards!

Guest dirlan2001
Hi!

I bought this one, 3 days ago. I'm really impressed with it. It's true that the camera is crap and the speaker is not installed in the smartest place...but...the perfect device is still to come...

Anyway,

My iPAQ has an english ROM and i'm portuguese, so, obviously, i won't use the english xt9 dictionary. The problem is that the xt9 is defaulted when I start writing an sms and i have to be selecting the "normal" text input every time i write an sms. Is that possible to disable the xt9 and defaulting the device to use the "normal" input

Or, as an alternative, i could use a portuguese xt9 dictionary, i found some of them around the internet, but i thing they are for htc devices. Can I use them on my ipaq?

Regards!

Hi,

I installed Resco Keyboard. It has several profiles included, so I guess Portuguese will be available.

About the HTC soft : maybe you better ask at XDA Developers. They have a vivid forum on almost every HTC, so ....

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest Chucky7

# HP 614C IPAQ Information #

OK I got one of these on saturday and plan to evaluate whether or not I will keep it over the next week.

Firstly compared to my HTC hermes (VarioII) the HP is lighter and about 0.5mm thiner but 0.5mm taller.

The Sim and micoSD card access points are both inside under the battery - Its a double edge sword regarding memory card location, if its inside it can't pop/fall out but at the expense of easy access.

There is no front VGA camera for Video calling, but then who uses video calling at 50p a mimute for both parties its propably a feature only for the wealthy, so I would'nt miss it. The display is fairly bright compared to my old Hermes the display on the HP is brilliant white as opposed to my hermes less bright, blue-tinted white display.

On inserting the Sim card for the first time the HP IPAQ data connection wizzard appears which assists in gathering network settings for you mobile operator. The ROM memory has about 100MB free from the unused portion of the ROM plus an additonal 24.8MB known as the IPAQ store.

The phone - I can confirm there is no "band" setting available in the phone options for selecting between GSM and HSDPA, the phone appears to select between the two based on the nearby transmitter. This could pose an issue since the phone will be yo-yoing between the two bands based on where it is, rather than letting you select a band yourself and having control, this is important since HSDPA uses more power and has an effect on the battery life. I will investigate this and have a poke around in the registry this week.

The volume - It looks like only 3 of the standard winmobile ringtones are included in the HP, so I loaded on the wavelength ringtone (from MS winmo website). With the volume turn up to max and the phone held in the hand (not covering the back speaker) the volume is adeqaute similar to the hermes. However HP have slightly over-engineered the HP in terms of how flush everything is at the back of the phone - it's all flush no dimples or pimples sticking out, this means that when the phone is on a flat surface like a table the back speaker (only one on HP, hermes has a additonal front one?) will be inveitably muffled causing the ringtone to appear low. One solution to this problem is to put the phone on it's front so the speaker is not covered or stick a small piece of tape or something at the back to slight raise one end of the back off the surface so the sound can get out?

the Vibrate option - is a continuous vibration, careful about leaving it on a flat surface since the vibration will cause the phone to start to gently vibrate around say a table , if you are not careful it could vibrate right off the table. Also the Rubberized coating at the back does'nt stop it moving. The rubberized coating also reminds me of a similar coating which was once used on a Psion Series 5 PDA, which was prone to peeling due too finger nails, so I will be watching carefully to see if there is any sign of it happening to the HP.

Camera - This was something I was really interested in, there are currently mixed views on the web on the cameras quality. first off it's 3mp autofocus with limit to about 10cm regarding getting up close to a subject. The camera software is by arcsoft, then GUI is not optimised for thumbs, really more of a stylus affair. The icons are really tiny. The usual settings are there quality, size, contrast, brightness,sharpness, effect, saturation etc...

The first few shots I started taking with it i noticed a pink tint running diagonally on the photo/screen after fiddling about with saturation (-0.5) I managed to reduce this tint which was not a white balance issue. My concusion is this tint which is not uniform may be a slight imperfection with the UV coating applied to the lens on the camera and possibly the saturation control can amplify or deamplify any imperfection or possibly a heat issue since i did notice the hp getting slight warm . Take a look at the photos on my flickr page for the example. I could get the unit exchanged but, i not too sure wether this could just be a sign of the massed produced camera harware and i might get something even worse. so far I have reduced the effect, as long as it can take reasonable snap shot photos then Im not expecting anything else and would be happy with that.

Speed wise, if you half press the shutter button it locks on and focuses then full press to take the photo with about a 1 second delay. quality wise (negating tint) seems reasonable, obviously when taking photos you need good light and a steady hand, theres a small led light on the back and a vanity mirror too. Note all the photos were handheld with no timer, any wonkyness will be down to hand shake and the white balance can vary due to being on the auto setting.

I will look into a fix for the phone band issue this week and investigate that photo tint issue a bit further too.

still more things to try out, keyboard, video, etc...

link to flickr: HP614C - photos of and by

Jase

post-334132-1205600787_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chucky7

Guest christisv

Thanks guys for all the usefull info.

After having owened a handfull of WM devices (currently Asus P526), I am going to get this beutifull "toy". I chose it over the Asus P750 mainly due to it's larger screen (fed up trying to navigate with 2.6"), and the larger ROM-RAM (also fed up of the "out of memory" error). Also on the plus points is the USB 2.0 speed.

I am sure that the bluetooth and camera "problems" will be sorted out with some ROM upgrade from HP.

One thing I'll miss from Asus, it's the hardware button for locking the device's screen and ALL keys, which come alive when you receive a call.

Any ideas where I can download the 614c manual? I've searched all over hp UK, with no success.

Thanks in advance

Guest christisv
Hi Dirk

Thank you so much for this first-hand information.

It was very helpful!

In regard to the camera, I don't care much, since I barely take pics with a phone.

HP 614C has not yet arrived in Cyprus.... :-(

Do you recommend any reliable websites that I should start searching for?

Another Question to all (may sound naive...but I am a newbie...)

What kind of third-party software are available (for free - especially) for the Windows Mobile 6 Pro OS?

Any sites to recommend?

Thank you all

Christos R.

christosr, I think I can help you out in Cyprus. I can even show it to you as soon as I have it in my hands.

I've PM'd you. Pls check your inbox

christisv

Guest dirlan2001
Camera - This was something I was really interested in, there are currently mixed views on the web on the cameras quality. first off it's 3mp autofocus with limit to about 10cm regarding getting up close to a subject. The camera software is by arcsoft, then GUI is not optimised for thumbs, really more of a stylus affair. The icons are really tiny. The usual settings are there quality, size, contrast, brightness,sharpness, effect, saturation etc...

The first few shots I started taking with it i noticed a pink tint running diagonally on the photo/screen after fiddling about with saturation (-0.5) I managed to reduce this tint which was not a white balance issue. My concusion is this tint which is not uniform may be a slight imperfection with the UV coating applied to the lens on the camera and possibly the saturation control can amplify or deamplify any imperfection or possibly a heat issue since i did notice the hp getting slight warm . Take a look at the photos on my flickr page for the example. I could get the unit exchanged but, i not too sure wether this could just be a sign of the massed produced camera harware and i might get something even worse. so far I have reduced the effect, as long as it can take reasonable snap shot photos then Im not expecting anything else and would be happy with that.

Speed wise, if you half press the shutter button it locks on and focuses then full press to take the photo with about a 1 second delay. quality wise (negating tint) seems reasonable, obviously when taking photos you need good light and a steady hand, theres a small led light on the back and a vanity mirror too. Note all the photos were handheld with no timer, any wonkyness will be down to hand shake and the white balance can vary due to being on the auto setting.

I will look into a fix for the phone band issue this week and investigate that photo tint issue a bit further too.

still more things to try out, keyboard, video, etc...

link to flickr: HP614C - photos of and by

Jase

Hi,

The 'pink shine' is IMHO due to a bad optics. It's (according to a professional photographer) the result of a too low lightsensitivity, and a way to small lens compared to the chip.. As if the lens is not letting all the light pass, and the light that it takes, needs to be bended on very short distance.

The shutterlag, as I tested, can be reduced by turning off the shuttersound. It still isn't the best of all speeds, but it's better as before.

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest dirlan2001
Hi dirlan2001!

Did you try record telephone talks by it soft? Does interest - your speech is record only or interlocutor also?

AudioNotes is recording both....

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest dirlan2001
Thanks guys for all the usefull info.

After having owened a handfull of WM devices (currently Asus P526), I am going to get this beutifull "toy". I chose it over the Asus P750 mainly due to it's larger screen (fed up trying to navigate with 2.6"), and the larger ROM-RAM (also fed up of the "out of memory" error). Also on the plus points is the USB 2.0 speed.

I am sure that the bluetooth and camera "problems" will be sorted out with some ROM upgrade from HP.

One thing I'll miss from Asus, it's the hardware button for locking the device's screen and ALL keys, which come alive when you receive a call.

Any ideas where I can download the 614c manual? I've searched all over hp UK, with no success.

Thanks in advance

What Bluetooth problems ?

Buttonlock : press the OK on the left side (topmost) and your keypad is locked. And the phone always come alive when you receive a call, even with the screen turned off.

Manual : is on the CD that came in your box.

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest darkness inc
so I have searched the Internet 1000 of times and MoDaCo as well, but still no (new) information about the HP IPAQ 610 :D

Well actually there is information about it out there, but it is all the same..only specs and a few videos about the unit, BUT what I would like to see is more in debt information about how to use the thumbwheel (or soft wheel or whatever it is called)...what I am after is how do you make a selection after you have scrolled to the decided item...in other words were is the "action key" like on the D-pad or joystick enabled units?

...Ooh and if you have any good links for the unit please let me know as well :(

Thank s in advance :(

PS: Just found a Danish web site

http://www.pc-netto.dk/asp/index1024.asp?v...fromgo=yes&

were you can actually buy the unit and the delivery time is set to the 15th of November 2007...pretty amazing considering it will not be released before 2008 (from what I have seen). Well I have emailed the company and asked if they have any in stock...just to see the reaction...I will keep you posted...it could get interesting :(

Hi all

Please could you anwser this quick question. Can i use the wheel as a Dpad for games, i mean move left right etc whithout moving my finger around?

does it work well

thanks ian

Guest christisv
What Bluetooth problems ?

Buttonlock : press the OK on the left side (topmost) and your keypad is locked. And the phone always come alive when you receive a call, even with the screen turned off.

Manual : is on the CD that came in your box.

Cheers,

Dirk

Thks for the reply Dirk.

The reason I asked about the manual is that because I haven't got the phone yet and I would like to read it before I actually do. Doing that saves me from a lot of questions that I would normally ask in a forum like this. It also gives me some idea of the "extra" software included in the ROM (like Asus's excellent Travelog in the P750)

Fantastic to hear about the Buttonlock. I find it very usefull.

Bluetooth problems: I read in a couple of forums about noise when using bluetooth headset for making calls. If you have actually got this phone and you don't experience any of this, I am glad to hear it.

Sad to hear that the "pink shine" is due to bad hardware (which you give a logical explanation IMHO), but for me it's not so important.

Is it possible that any of you lucky owners could be kind enough to upload the manual if it's not too large file size, or give me any link to it if you have found it somewhere that I wasn't able to?

Thanks again.

Chris

Guest Chucky7
Thks for the reply Dirk.

The reason I asked about the manual is that because I haven't got the phone yet and I would like to read it before I actually do. Doing that saves me from a lot of questions that I would normally ask in a forum like this. It also gives me some idea of the "extra" software included in the ROM (like Asus's excellent Travelog in the P750)

Bluetooth problems: I read in a couple of forums about noise when using bluetooth headset for making calls. If you have actually got this phone and you don't experience any of this, I am glad to hear it.

Sad to hear that the "pink shine" is due to bad hardware (which you give a logical explanation IMHO), but for me it's not so important.

Is it possible that any of you lucky owners could be kind enough to upload the manual if it's not too large file size, or give me any link to it if you have found it somewhere that I wasn't able to?

Thanks again.

Chris

draft one from fcc https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports...'B94HHI14CN

jase

Guest dirlan2001
Thks for the reply Dirk.

Thanks again.

Chris

Hi,

Just to assure you : I use a Jabra BT500 headset, and I never had any 'noise' problem with it.

The manual on the CD is some kind of ShockWave presentation . It's an exe-file and you need to install the ShockWave Player to actually read it. And for extra software, you don't want to know. Only demo's and trials AFAIK. The only usefull thing : as with all HP products, you get 'points' that can be exchanged for applications in the iPAQ-Shop.

For the cam, I guess I'll do a deeeeep search in XDA forum. Maybe I can dig something out. Who knows..... :D

Cheers,

Dirk

Edited by dirlan2001

Guest christisv
Hi,

Just to assure you : I use a Jabra BT500 headset, and I never had any 'noise' problem with it.

The manual on the CD is some kind of ShockWave presentation . It's an exe-file and you need to install the ShockWave Player to actually read it. And for extra software, you don't want to know. Only demo's and trials AFAIK. The only usefull thing : as with all HP products, you get 'points' that can be exchanged for applications in the iPAQ-Shop.

For the cam, I guess I'll do a deeeeep search in XDA forum. Maybe I can dig something out. Who knows..... :D

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi.

Very usefull info.

Keep posting any info you think is worth knowing for us.

Last question:

I know that oddly enough it doesn't have a front-facing camera for video calls (since any other 3G phone has it, and most probably you could use it sooner or later with some kind of VOIP software like Skype, without paying so much using the 3G network speeds).

Is it possible though that if someone initiates a video call to you, that you can see them on your screen, even though they won't be able to see you? I mean the phone has this 3G capability, so it could be done with 3rd party software (something like HTC's Video dialer), if it's own dialer doesn't support it not even for anwering?

Thank you.

Chris

Guest Chucky7

Update #1

Smart Wheel:

Keypad/board - The Smart wheel on the Keypad is as previously mentioned in other posts is an ipod-style scroll wheel. With your finger on the smart wheel, if you rotate clockwise, say in the today screen the selected items on the today screen will be selected in a downwards motion, with anticlockwise being the upwards motion. Now if you wish to use the smart wheel as a 4-way nav pad then "stroke" in the direction you wish to move with one finger on the rim of the wheel. So for example if you stroke your finger right to left on the rim on the number 4/7 key you will go left. If you stroke your finger left to right on the rim on the number 6/9 key you will go right

Now it will take some time to master this approach compared to simply using keys for navigation as on my hermes, I find the smart wheel so far to be good for up/down movements for both the finger rotate and the stroke movement, but the stroke for going left and right approach seems to sometimes produce the wrong navigation like going up instead of right. A better approach seems to be sweeping your finger across the whole of the keypad in one movement. Touching the smart wheels rim from 4 to 6 seems to work better for going right and vicer versa for going left.

There is an option in Settings under the System tab called "keyboard" which gives you the option to disable the Smart Wheel function. Though this renders any navigation on the keypad impossible since the smart wheel is the only way to navigate left/right/up/down, which means you would only be able to navigate by tapping directly on the touchscreen! This was true untill later on today.

The return key in the lower right hand corner acts as the enter key, it's worth pointing out that directly below the return key is the power button, so if you have really large fingers there is the potential for you to inadvertinly press the wrong key.

Workaround for implementing a 5-Way Nav Pad Using Keys Only

Knowing that the keypad has a hardware key element I remebered a program which was originally developed for the HTC universal called "PQzII" PQzII link This program has the ability to intercept hardware keypresses for devices with a physical Keyboard or Keypad. loading the software (WM5/6 version) on to the HP and entering the settings (see attachment) I managed to get the up/down/right/left and Enter options by pressing the 2/0/6/4/5 keys on the keypad. Now this is just a temporary fix for anyone who wants to use a key instead of the Smart wheel. I say temporary beacause the PQz software needs to be running for it to work and it places an moveable icon in the title bar. Obviously any of the 5 keys pressed on the key pad will only now work for navigation and not for t9 functions nor for the controls for brightness when using the camera application.

I'm sure it should be possible for somebody to write a program to replicate what PQz does, in intercepting the keypresses but with some kind of exception list which turns off the Nav-key interception when using certain programs like the phone, texting, or the camera.

Anyway I will look into it further, plus the 3G/2G issue later on this week.

Jase

post-334132-1206115262_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chucky7

Guest dirlan2001
Hi.

Very usefull info.

Keep posting any info you think is worth knowing for us.

Last question:

I know that oddly enough it doesn't have a front-facing camera for video calls (since any other 3G phone has it, and most probably you could use it sooner or later with some kind of VOIP software like Skype, without paying so much using the 3G network speeds).

Is it possible though that if someone initiates a video call to you, that you can see them on your screen, even though they won't be able to see you? I mean the phone has this 3G capability, so it could be done with 3rd party software (something like HTC's Video dialer), if it's own dialer doesn't support it not even for anwering?

Thank you.

Chris

Hi,

Up to now, nobody tried to do a videocall. VoIP (Skype tested) works flawlessly over WiFi. You just need to install the Skype Mobile Client. It takes all your account settings (if any) from your desktop. And it's no problem (so far) to get the vid from the other side on screen.

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest christisv

TO Chucky7 :

Thanks for the effort. Much appreciated. Keep us updated pls.

TO dirlan2001 :

Thanks again. As far as Skype is concerned it's all clear. In case you try the videocall through normal 3G, pls let me know. If you don't for some reason, I will try it as soon as I get my hands on one (I will also try the HTC Video Dialer on the 614c), and will let you know (that will be around the end of the month).

To ALL that can help: (I will try to make this easy to understand, since English is not my native language, sorry!)

In all the Windows phones that have got any kind of sliding keyboard (if I recall correctly according to my experience), as soon as you open the keyboard the text input turns to hardware keyboard for this instance, no matter which deafult method you had set. This way you can have the block recognizer as default for example (normally using the stylus), but once you open the hardware keyboard for the occasional email, you don't have to change the setting on the screen for that instance. On my latest Asus (the first one I had with fixed keys, similar to 614), it is rather cumbersome. If I want to use the hardware keys for an instance, I have to:

1. change the setting on the small keyboard icon on the screen, so the phone gets the hardware keys as default (using the stylus that I want to avoid anyway), then

2. I have to press a specific button 5 times to get out of the default T9, and into the first "abc" mode (t9, T9, T9, 123, (Symbols), abc, Abc, ABC). That way, it renders the hardware keyboard (the reason I got this phone at the first place), almost unusable (not worth the trouble using it). You see, I don't use T9 because I write in my languge but in latin characters, so T9 is not needed and it only creates problems. I tried to disable it through registry hacks and get "abc" as the default hardware keyboard option, with no success

What I would like to know from you lucky owners, is the way the 614 works. I understand if someone has to go through step 1, but is there any way to avoid step 2 (or even both steps ideally) ? In other words,

1. easy way to change from block recognizer (or any other default method) to hardware keys for one-off time WITHOUT getting the stylus out, and

2. any way to permanently disable T9

Once again I apologize if my question sounds complicated, and thanking you guys in advance.

Regards,

Chris

Guest Chucky7

Update #2

Regarding GSM/3G control:

As mentioned else where, the HP does not have any user access to control whether you access the GSM band or 3G/UMTS band. The device effectively manages connecting to GSM or 3G towers itself and will switch on its own accord. There is no band selection tab in the phone settings, I have tried putting registry entries (HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\UMTS OpMode = 1) and (HKLM\Software\OEM\PhoneSetting ShowUMTSBandPage =1) with no reponse :( . Plus I tried Bandswitch (v1.2.3) which did not have an effect niether (Note: The Bandswitch tray icon is no fool-proof symbol of the current band its just an icon if you take the simcard out of the HP, restart and tap on the bandswitch tray icon to change bands the icon will change, even though theres no sim!!!)

I suspect that the "Auto" setting for band control is fixed at the ROM level and therefore find it hard to see it being changed unless HP Ltd release a rom/firmware update with an amendment. So far the only solution to avoid the phone using a 3G/UMTS signal is 1) Get a GSM only SIM 2) Go and live in the countryside 3) Put the phone into Flight mode :D . I feel the lack of access to user band selection is a currently a slight oversight by HP :( particularly as it can affect battery life and standyby time, as yet I have not had time to full evaluate the battery life.

############ UPDATE 21-03-08 ###################

After reading the HP Support forums, It appears that it is possible to select Either a GSM or a 3G network. Bear in mind though that if you want GSM AND 3G leave the phone setting as it is, since if you decide you want 3G only, it will only use 3G and if you lose signal with the 3G network then the phone won't switch to GSM. If you select GSM then it will only use the GSM network.

How to select GSM only:

Go to Settings > Phone > Network

Click on the drop down box under Network Selection and select "Manual".

A Choose Network popup box will appear, Select your operators GSM network and click OK, so in my case it's T-Mobile UK (GSM).[see attachment below]

Click OK to finish.

Just to make sure its working go to the wireless manager and turn the phone off and then on.

I have done a soft reset and it seems to keep the setting.

To undo any of these changes simply select "Automatic".

###########################################

Quirks List:

1. Careful of the vanity mirror at the back it could be prone to scuffs/scratches since it is not totally deadflat and recessed like the camera lens.

2. For some reason (from booting the phone from new) I have noticed that the default video file in My Documents\My videos\ called "1-nature_15fps.mp4" does not play any video from that particular file in the default windows media player, it just plays the audio??

3. There is no link to the Calendar or Messages from the start menu when in [settings > Menus] (you could probably add a shortcut yourself using a file explorer).

4. The HP has 4 Separate side Hardware buttons (camera,vibrate,OK,voice comm), only 3 side Hardware buttons (Camera,OK,voice comm) have options for remapping buttons in [settings > Buttons] with the Voice comm having an additional option for Hold&Press (used for record). The side OK button also has a Hold&Press function which is not user remappable since it's used for switching off the Smart Wheel.

5. "The recieve all incoming beams" option in [settings > connections] is enabled by default, so if you want to save batterylife remember to untick the tick box.

Jase

post-334132-1206113949_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chucky7

Guest dirlan2001
Update #2

Regarding GSM/3G control:

As mentioned else where, the HP does not have any user access to control whether you access the GSM band or 3G/UMTS band. The device effectively manages connecting to GSM or 3G towers itself and will switch on its own accord. There is no band selection tab in the phone settings, I have tried putting registry entries (HKLM\SOFTWARE\OEM\UMTS OpMode = 1) and (HKLM\Software\OEM\PhoneSetting ShowUMTSBandPage =1) with no reponse :( . Plus I tried Bandswitch (v1.2.3) which did not have an effect niether (Note: The Bandswitch tray icon is no fool-proof symbol of the current band its just an icon if you take the simcard out of the HP, restart and tap on the bandswitch tray icon to change bands the icon will change, even though theres no sim!!!)

I suspect that the "Auto" setting for band control is fixed at the ROM level and therefore find it hard to see it being changed unless HP Ltd release a rom/firmware update with an amendment. So far the only solution to avoid the phone using a 3G/UMTS signal is 1) Get a GSM only SIM 2) Go and live in the countryside 3) Put the phone into Flight mode :D . I feel the lack of access to user band selection is a currently a slight oversight by HP :( particularly as it can affect battery life and standyby time, as yet I have not had time to full evaluate the battery life.

Quirks List:

1. Careful of the vanity mirror at the back it could be prone to scuffs/scratches since it is not totally deadflat and recessed like the camera lens.

2. For some reason (from booting the phone from new) I have noticed that the default video file in My Documents\My videos\ called "1-nature_15fps.mp4" does not play any video from that particular file in the default windows media player, it just plays the audio??

3. There is no link to the Calendar or Messages from the start menu when in [settings > Menus] (you could probably add a shortcut yourself using a file explorer).

4. The HP has 4 Separate side Hardware buttons (camera,vibrate,OK,voice comm), only 3 side Hardware buttons (Camera,OK,voice comm) have options for remapping buttons in [settings > Buttons] with the Voice comm having an additional option for Hold&Press (used for record). The side OK button also has a Hold&Press function which is not user remappable since it's used for switching off the Smart Wheel.

5. "The recieve all incoming beams" option in [settings > connections] is enabled by default, so if you want to save batterylife remember to untick the tick box.

Jase

Hi,Modaco NoData has some nice options for those who want to keep it cheap(er).Besides, SkTools Lite also has some options that'll suit you.Cheers,Dirk