Questions about HP IPAQ 610

Guest spider

Guest Chucky7

# HP 614C IPAQ Information #

Update #3

A/GPS:

Just a quick note to confirm that the GPS Can Operate without a SIM present. I used Visual GPS CE with no Sim card in the HP and GPS worked (app setting, serial, port=com6, baud=115200). Note the Visual GPSce app does not not require a data connection (It just gives GPS data, its not a mapping app like the pre-installed google maps).

I have'nt worked how the Assisted part of the GPS reliases it needs to update its Satellite orbital data yet, since there is no popup indicator like on HTC devices(QuickGPS) which lets you know you need to update your orbital data.

Jase

Edited by Chucky7

Guest Chucky7

Update #4

Sound Fix:

As previously mention on forums , the Hp614c/610c has a flush back, this does not help the back speaker, since the sound is seriously muffled (event at max volume) when the phone is flat on a desk. Even though I regard this as a serious desgin flaw, I have implemented a quick cheap physical-patch which for a £300+ device leaves alot to be desired with regard to HPs Research & Developement on a device which wont reasonably alert you of an incoming call when flat on a desk. But then again HTC are no better especially with the missing-Video-Driver fiasco!

Quite simply the HP needs to be slightly raised when lying on a desk, so the sound can come out of the back speaker (obviously like all phones the vibrate function is for when a phone is in your pocket). I have seen a mention of tapping a coin to the back but I come up with a simpler fix. Just get a small piece of Velcro and stick only the "hook" part of the Velcro to the back. See the attached photos for a closer look. Note it may also be a good idea to stick the other part of velcro on your desk, that way you can attach the two pieces together when you lay your phone on your desk and the phone won't vibrate around your desk when you have an incoming call :D

Comparing the HP to my MDA Vario II (hermes) I can see that HTC have raised the camera by about 0.1cm from the rest of the back giving the back speaker room to bellow, Hindsight is wonderful thing!

Jase

post-334132-1206054772_thumb.jpg

post-334132-1206054831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chucky7

Guest darkness inc
Update #4

Sound Fix

As previously mention on forums , the Hp614c/610c has a flush back, this does not help the back speaker, since the sound is seriously muffled (event at max volume) when the phone is flat on a desk. Even though I regard this as a serious desgin flaw, I have implemented a quick cheap physical-patch which for a £300+ device leaves alot to be desired with regard to HPs Research & Developement on a device which wont reasonably alert you of an incoming call when flat on a desk. But then again HTC are no better especially with the missing-Video-Driver fiasco!

Quite simply the HP needs to be slightly raised when lying on a desk, so the sound can come out of the back speaker (obviously like all phones the vibrate function is for when a phone is in your pocket). I have seen a mention of tapping a coin to the back but I come up with a simpler fix. Just get a small piece of Velcro and stick only the "hook" part of the Velcro to the back. See the attached photos for a closer look.

Comparing the HP to my MDA Vario II (hermes) I can see that HTC have raised the camera by about 0.1cm from the rest of the back giving the back speaker room to bellow, Hindsight is wonderful thing!

Jase

Hi

Can the scrol wheel go up/down left/right movements and do you know which bluetooth stack its using, widcomm or microsoft?

Thanks

Guest Chucky7
Hi

Can the scrol wheel go up/down left/right movements and do you know which bluetooth stack its using, widcomm or microsoft?

Thanks

See here (post 96) for info on the front Thumbwheel

Regarding the Bluetooth stack, I'm not sure the manual only says that it supports.....

The functions that Bluetooth supports are called services or profiles. You can communicate only with Bluetooth devices that support at least one of the following profiles:

ActiveSync over Bluetooth (ActiveSync)

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)

Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)

Generic Access Profile (GAP)

Hands Free Profile (HFP)

Headset Support Profile (HSP)

Human Interface Device Profile (HID)

Generic Object Exchange Profile (GOEP)

Object Push Protocol (OPP)

Personal Area Networking Profile (PAN)

Serial Port Profile (SPP)

Dial‑up Networking Profile (DUN)

From the Hp Asset viewer it says:

Driver/software Version: BCHS_WINCE_MOBILE_4_7_3

Jase

Edited by Chucky7

Guest Chucky7
TO Chucky7 :

Thanks for the effort. Much appreciated. Keep us updated pls.

TO dirlan2001 :

Thanks again. As far as Skype is concerned it's all clear. In case you try the videocall through normal 3G, pls let me know. If you don't for some reason, I will try it as soon as I get my hands on one (I will also try the HTC Video Dialer on the 614c), and will let you know (that will be around the end of the month).

To ALL that can help: (I will try to make this easy to understand, since English is not my native language, sorry!)

In all the Windows phones that have got any kind of sliding keyboard (if I recall correctly according to my experience), as soon as you open the keyboard the text input turns to hardware keyboard for this instance, no matter which deafult method you had set. This way you can have the block recognizer as default for example (normally using the stylus), but once you open the hardware keyboard for the occasional email, you don't have to change the setting on the screen for that instance. On my latest Asus (the first one I had with fixed keys, similar to 614), it is rather cumbersome. If I want to use the hardware keys for an instance, I have to:

1. change the setting on the small keyboard icon on the screen, so the phone gets the hardware keys as default (using the stylus that I want to avoid anyway), then

2. I have to press a specific button 5 times to get out of the default T9, and into the first "abc" mode (t9, T9, T9, 123, (Symbols), abc, Abc, ABC). That way, it renders the hardware keyboard (the reason I got this phone at the first place), almost unusable (not worth the trouble using it). You see, I don't use T9 because I write in my languge but in latin characters, so T9 is not needed and it only creates problems. I tried to disable it through registry hacks and get "abc" as the default hardware keyboard option, with no success

What I would like to know from you lucky owners, is the way the 614 works. I understand if someone has to go through step 1, but is there any way to avoid step 2 (or even both steps ideally) ? In other words,

1. easy way to change from block recognizer (or any other default method) to hardware keys for one-off time WITHOUT getting the stylus out, and

2. any way to permanently disable T9

Once again I apologize if my question sounds complicated, and thanking you guys in advance.

Regards,

Chris

The Physical keypad uses Tegic's XT9, from using it. I can gather that you can have the virtual screen SIP set as the microsoft keyboard but use physical keyboard at the same time. It's seems you can use both the virtual SIP (whatever one) and the physical keypad simultaneously. An icon appears in the top title bar to indicate which mode the XT9 is in. Look at the Screenshot below the text was typed on the physical number pad (keypad) but the Virtual SIP is set as the block Recognizer. In reponse to Q1 The physical keypad is independant from the on screen virtual SIP. Holding down the * key brings a popup XT9 mode selector or mutipressing the * key cycles through the mode options too.

Regarding the Keypad mode(XT9,ABC,Abc etc), It appears the mode is kept on your last setting and even survives a soft reset. The HP 614C I have (UK purchased) has 3 language options (English, Spanish & Italian). So in reponse to Q2. Yes XT9 can be avoided and you can use just abc mode on the keypad. See the Page from the manual below.

Hope that helps.

#### Update 24-03-08 ####

Read post 119

####################

Jase

post-334132-1206128843_thumb.jpg

post-334132-1206128872_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chucky7

Guest dirlan2001
Hi

Thanks

Hi,

It's a BlueCore4 and uses the built-in MS stack. For more about this BT look here : BlueCore4 ROM

The WLAN is a Marvell chip : WLAN Radiochip

Cheers,

Dirk

Edited by dirlan2001

Guest dirlan2001

Update #3

A/GPS:

Just a quick note to confirm that the GPS Can Operate without a SIM present. I used Visual GPS CE with no Sim card in the HP and GPS worked (app setting, serial, port=com6, baud=115200). Note the Visual GPSce app does not not require a data connection (It just gives GPS data, its not a mapping app like the pre-installed google maps).

I have'nt worked how the Assisted part of the GPS reliases it needs to update its Satellite orbital data yet, since there is no popup indicator like on HTC devices(QuickGPS) which lets you know you need to update your orbital data.

Jase

Hi,

The 'Assisted' part of the GPS uses the GSM to get the position of the nearest-by transmitters and calculates it's position with these (known) coordinates. It's only a software extension for the hardware GPS.

There's no need to have a SIM inserted. This only slows down the first 'fix'. In all, it's just a gimmick. If you get out of the door and you're already looking on your screen for your exact location, I guess there's something 'wrong'. The only benefit it might give, is when you're navigating and go through a long tunnel. Also, it gives you the 'feeling' you can get your GPS location INSIDE, which is a blunt lie. GPS needs 'visual' contact to the sattelites. If no visual, no coordinates.....

Cheers,

Dirk

Edited by dirlan2001

Guest Chucky7
Hi,

The 'Assisted' part of the GPS uses the GSM to get the position of the nearest-by transmitters and calculates it's position with these (known) coordinates. It's only a software extension for the hardware GPS.

There's no need to have a SIM inserted. This only slows down the first 'fix'. In all, it's just a gimmick. If you get out of the door and you're already looking on your screen for your exact location, I guess there's something 'wrong'. The only benefit it might give, is when you're navigating and go through a long tunnel. Also, it gives you the 'feeling' you can get your GPS location INSIDE, which is a blunt lie. GPS needs 'visual' contact to the sattelites. If no visual, no coordinates.....

Cheers,

Dirk

True, GPS does require line of sight (skywards), the assisted part just tries to overcome signal interference issues with tall buildings, trees etc when getting a fix. I think the only reason why A-GPS is popping up more and more in phone devices is because it's making use of the available data access that phones have. (more of a case of it can be done, rather than it must be done)

In the case of the A-GPS in the HP 614c the assisted part is used for getting a faster fix, when the signal is poor. If there is no signal at all, then no GPS reading will be obtained.

Jase

Edited by Chucky7

Guest Chucky7

Update #6

MicroSDHC Card:

Well I have just put a SanDisk 8GB microSDHC card (class 4) in the HP 614C and the Memory is being reported correctly.

Jase

post-334132-1206188318_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chucky7

Guest bigtart
############ UPDATE 21-03-08 ###################

After reading the HP Support forums, It appears that it is possible to select Either a GSM or a 3G network. Bear in mind though that if you want GSM AND 3G leave the phone setting as it is, since if you decide you want 3G only, it will only use 3G and if you lose signal with the 3G network then the phone won't switch to GSM. If you select GSM then it will only use the GSM network.

How to select GSM only:

Go to Settings > Phone > Network

Click on the drop down box under Network Selection and select "Manual".

A Choose Network popup box will appear, Select your operators GSM network and click OK, so in my case it's T-Mobile UK (GSM).[see attachment below]

Click OK to finish.

Just to make sure its working go to the wireless manager and turn the phone off and then on.

I have done a soft reset and it seems to keep the setting.

To undo any of these changes simply select "Automatic".

###########################################

Hi,

I have the same problem.

Here's something though - interesting you are on T-Mobile. I am on Orange and ** THERE IS NO DROPDOWN ** available to me. I have had to leave the country for a few days where I am using a T-Mobile SIM - the dropdown is there. If you have access to an Orange SIM or there are other Orange users out there please let me know if you don't have the dropdown either!

Thanks,

bt.

Guest Chucky7

Update #7

Keypad Settings: [TIP]

From the default factory setting for HP 614C, I noticed that when using the File Explorer the connventional action of bringing up the Context Menu by press & holding down the Enter key when having a file selected was not working. The ring of dots that you usually get when hold down the Enter key, only made a quarter of a circle before continuing with the Enter command.

Fortunately this can be easily remedied by adjusting the settings for the Keypad control.

Go to Settings > System > Keyboard and click on the button at the bottom of the screen named "Keyboard Repeat Control". This brings up the Buttons Applet, adjust the two sliders until you are happy with the results.

Which slider setting you use is a bit of trial-and-error, since you want there to be enough of a delay before the first repeat so that the context menu will appear when you press & hold down the Enter key as well as a suitable repeat rate so that when you are typing with keyboard, and press & hold down the * key the XT9 options menu will popup.

The screen shot below was the Keypad settings I was happy with.

Jase

post-334132-1206279613_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chucky7

Guest Chucky7

Update #8

Ipaq Store, Hard Reset and Phone switch off:

The Ipaq Store (24.89MB) on the HP 614C is a partitioned part of the memory which on other manufacturers phones like HTC would be known as the Extended ROM, but Ipaq call it the Ipaq Store. According to HP the Ipaq store has the ability to preserve DATA held in it following a HARD RESET. See here for more Info.

Performing a Hard Reset can be done by clicking on the Factory Recovery icon in Settings > System, or if you have no OS access via the External Hardware Buttons, by press & holding Both the Voice Commander and Power Button simultaneously. Note: All Data with the exception of data held in the Ipaq Store & Storage Card will be permanently erased.

Turning the Phone (ie. display) on and off is achieved by pressing the power button (Wireless Manager controls flight mode etc). Turning the Phone off competely can be achieved by Press & Holding down the Power button (remember to save any data, files open etc first) and following the popup box which appears.

Jase

Edited by Chucky7

Guest christisv
The Physical keypad uses Tegic's XT9, from using it. I can gather that you can have the virtual screen SIP set as the microsoft keyboard but use physical keyboard at the same time. It's seems you can use both the virtual SIP (whatever one) and the physical keypad simultaneously. An icon appears in the top title bar to indicate which mode the XT9 is in. Look at the Screenshot below the text was typed on the physical number pad (keypad) but the Virtual SIP is set as the block Recognizer. In reponse to Q1 The physical keypad is independant from the on screen virtual SIP. Holding down the * key brings a popup XT9 mode selector or mutipressing the * key cycles through the mode options too.

Regarding the Keypad mode(XT9,ABC,Abc etc), It appears the mode is kept on your last setting and even survives a soft reset. The HP 614C I have (UK purchased) has 3 language options (English, Spanish & Italian). So in reponse to Q2. Yes XT9 can be avoided and you can use just abc mode on the keypad. See the Page from the manual below.

Hope that helps.

Jase

Excellent reply. Much appreciated.

Thank you

Christisv

Guest ROGUEx360

Has anyone had any success using the iPAQ Audio configuration in the settings?

I have set the Bass and Treble bars to a custom level, but it never persists. I think that if the phone is soft reset, it loses these settings, although it may just lose them after a period of time anyway.

Does anyone know how to make them more permanent?

Also, does anyone know how to make xT9 (English) the default input method for everything, so that it never shows 'abc' either at the top or bottom of the screen? I keep finding places where it has xT9 set down at the bottom of the screen, but 'abc' at the top, or vice versa. Now that I have a keypad I would like to to stay as xT9 all the time, in every menu and input box, rather than me having to change it using the '*' key.

Other than those little problems, I'm loving this phone. I used my iPAQ Choice points that came with this device to download Pocket Hack Master, a program that allows custom adjustment of the CPU speed, so that it drops down when not being used to save battery. So far I have 35% remaining after being turned on for 52 hours that have included about 2 hours of GPS usage and sending some text messages. This seems reasonable, on par with my old XDA 2i (HTC Alpine), and I would easily now expect 3 days standby if I'm only sending the occasional text message and not using GPS.

Guest Shiftywicket

Hi All,

Have just received CoPilot v7 with my HP Ipaq 614c and I am having a hell of a time setting up the GPS - I know that there are some settings necessary outside of the CoPilot program, but it is next to impossible to get the 'External GPS' Settings configured correctly.

Has anybody had the same problem with this device?

If anybody is happily using the CoPilot 7 software on their HP Ipag 614c then please share the External GPS settings as I am at my wits end!!

Thanks a lot

Jono

Guest Chucky7
Has anyone had any success using the iPAQ Audio configuration in the settings?

I have set the Bass and Treble bars to a custom level, but it never persists. I think that if the phone is soft reset, it loses these settings, although it may just lose them after a period of time anyway.

Does anyone know how to make them more permanent?

Also, does anyone know how to make xT9 (English) the default input method for everything, so that it never shows 'abc' either at the top or bottom of the screen? I keep finding places where it has xT9 set down at the bottom of the screen, but 'abc' at the top, or vice versa. Now that I have a keypad I would like to to stay as xT9 all the time, in every menu and input box, rather than me having to change it using the '*' key.

Other than those little problems, I'm loving this phone. I used my iPAQ Choice points that came with this device to download Pocket Hack Master, a program that allows custom adjustment of the CPU speed, so that it drops down when not being used to save battery. So far I have 35% remaining after being turned on for 52 hours that have included about 2 hours of GPS usage and sending some text messages. This seems reasonable, on par with my old XDA 2i (HTC Alpine), and I would easily now expect 3 days standby if I'm only sending the occasional text message and not using GPS.

Now that had a chance to explore the HP614C at bit more I can see what you mean regarding XT9 persistance! There does seem to be something which causes certain text boxes to default to abc. For instance I opened up a word doc and typed a few words using the Keypad under XT9, then opened up Mobile Internet Explorer and highlighted the address bar and the Inputmode automatically changed to abc, then I went back to the word doc and the input mode changed back to XT9. Next I opened up a SMS and the default input was XT9, so i changed it to abc closed the SMS, then went back and reopened the SMS and the default input had changed back to XT9??

It's almost as if certain text fields/programs have a default text input mode which can be temporary overidden but default back after use???

Something which needs investigating further?

##### Update 26-03-08 #####

It's now clear, after reading several posts on XDA-dev, that this behaviour is unfortunately normal for Tegics XT9 software!

######################

##### Update 06-04-08 #####

Solution Found to force abc mode by default!

See post #160

#######################

Jase

Edited by Chucky7

Guest Chucky7
Hi All,

Have just received CoPilot v7 with my HP Ipaq 614c and I am having a hell of a time setting up the GPS - I know that there are some settings necessary outside of the CoPilot program, but it is next to impossible to get the 'External GPS' Settings configured correctly.

Has anybody had the same problem with this device?

If anybody is happily using the CoPilot 7 software on their HP Ipag 614c then please share the External GPS settings as I am at my wits end!!

Thanks a lot

Jono

Have you been able to get the GPS working at all (not using CoPilot) on the pre-installed Google Maps software?

The External GPS Settings should be:

Program Port: COM8

GPS Hardware Port: COM6, Baud rate: 115200

Access: Ticked

Jase

(Don't have CoPilot)

Guest ROGUEx360

Just a quick thought on cases for this device...

http://www.sizeasy.com/page/size_compariso...vs-Apple-iPhone

Its dimensions are very similar to the dreaded iPhone.

There are Sleeve/Pouch type cases made for the iPhone that are slightly flexible/stretchy for the iPhone to just slip in to. I'm now thinking that some of these may make suitable slip in cases for the iPAQ 600 series, being stretchy enough to accommodate the slightly thicker phone?

http://www.myincipio.com/category/0_apple_...es_accessories/

Some from Incipio, the Orion and the alphaPouch look quite good. Obviously none of the custom fit cases like their Hipster or boxFrame would be any good, but the pouch/sleeve types where you remove the device to use it could possibly work...?

Anyone else tried this?

I'm waiting for delivery of the Incipio Orion iPhone case now to see if my theory is correct, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Guest christosr

Hi all.

I have been following this discussion since it started, and I must say it is very very helpful.

For those who finally get the 614c in your hands:

1. Have you checked with the xT9 languages? Is Greek included as an option?

2. What's your opinion on using it to write SMS fast, using the HW keyboard? Can you elaborate more on that?

This is a major reason I am leaning towards this phone - that's why I am not going for a full-touchscreen (with no HW keyboard) phone.

(I am so used to my humble Samsung D600 keyboard that I learned to send SMS messages (using T9) whitout even looking at the phone... :D )

3. In regard to the 3G/2G switching issue- those who had experienced the problem: have you manage to resolve it yet? (without choosing the type of network manually)?

4. Did anyone find a "final and functional" FW fix on the low-speaker-phone volume? (besides the Velcro suggestion... which was creative indeed... :( :( )

Thanks in advance

Christos

CY

1. Have you checked with the xT9 languages? Is Greek included as an option?

2. What's your opinion on using it to write SMS fast, using the HW keyboard? Can you elaborate more on that?

This is a major reason I am leaning towards this phone - that's why I am not going for a full-touchscreen (with no HW keyboard) phone.

(I am so used to my humble Samsung D600 keyboard that I learned to send SMS messages (using T9) whitout even looking at the phone... :( )

3. In regard to the 3G/2G switching issue- those who had experienced the problem: have you manage to resolve it yet? (without choosing the type of network manually)?

4. Did anyone find a "final and functional" FW fix on the low-speaker-phone volume? (besides the Velcro suggestion... which was creative indeed... :( :D )

Thanks in advance

Christos

CY

1. The onlye XT9 languages available are : ENGLISH, SPANISH and ITALIAN.

For now there is NOWAY to add more languages. HP has no plan for that. :(

2. Since my language is not supported by XT9 I only use "dialpad" on the screen wich supports T9 and swedish.

There is support for more languages. Search for Dialpad on modaco or at xda-developers.com.

3. No comments. I use 3G all the time. and if I'm in areas with only 2G phone switches auto without problems.

4. Low speaker phone volume? I dont have that problem on my phone.

Guest savvase

I have an HP ipaq 614c and i cant connect to gprs.My settings are correct and my SIM card is ok and still i cant connect can anyone please help me? Thanks