Questions about HP IPAQ 610

Guest spider

I have an HP ipaq 614c and i cant connect to gprs.My settings are correct and my SIM card is ok and still i cant connect can anyone please help me? Thanks

You better check with your operator and go through the settings with them. Good luck!

Guest Mysterious Stranger
I think the only reason why A-GPS is popping up more and more in phone devices is because it's making use of the available data access that phones have. (more of a case of it can be done, rather than it must be done)

In the case of the A-GPS in the HP 614c the assisted part is used for getting a faster fix, when the signal is poor. If there is no signal at all, then no GPS reading will be obtained.

It's popping up more and more, as you put it, due to the FCC's E911 mandate making the position of a cell phone available to emergency call dispatchers.

Using it with a built in GPS give better tracking to the end user is a by-product.

My symbian motorola a900 had it 3 yrs ago. Couldn't be accessed by the software though :-(

Even some 'dumbphones' have it now.

M.S

Guest mast114

Hello, Iv'e been setting up my Ipaq614c and have few questions maybe someone might know.

I was trying to load the HTC home plugin on my today screen but it wont show up?? I tried different versions of HTC home with same result. It shows up on the today screen options and I can even customize but it just wont show on the actual today screen. Any ideas? Somethng in the Ipaq does not like it. I even hard booted-same result.

So far though I like it. I'm keeping my eyes open for a sound hack to increase the speaker volume. I tried the hook/loop trick which is better than nothing! :D

Guest Kalif
I was trying to load the HTC home plugin on my today screen but it wont show up?? I tried different versions of HTC home with same result. It shows up on the today screen options and I can even customize but it just wont show on the actual today screen. Any ideas? Somethng in the Ipaq does not like it. I even hard booted-same result.

This problem was solved on the xda-developers forums (check this thread). You have to replace the modified HTCHome.dll file on iPAQ /Windows folder.

Regards

Guest mast114
This problem was solved on the xda-developers forums (check this thread). You have to replace the modified HTCHome.dll file on iPAQ /Windows folder.

Regards

Thanks for the info, that did the trick! That 150+ post over at XDA is pretty informative. :D

Now I'm working on another problem: Something is causing HTC Enlarge Start menu/HTC large title bar program(s) to not function when installed on the Ipaq614, (main memeory) Any ideas? I'm baffled as to why some of these cab files will not work properly when they worked fine on many other (HTC) WM6 devices I have had. I had brief stints W/ ETEN X800 and a MIO0702 with same types of issues. I would imagine it's because of directory placment for the files when they were designed for HTC devices?? This is my next quest....

Guest Chucky7
Thanks for the info, that did the trick! That 150+ post over at XDA is pretty informative. :D

Now I'm working on another problem: Something is causing HTC Enlarge Start menu/HTC large title bar program(s) to not function when installed on the Ipaq614, (main memeory) Any ideas? I'm baffled as to why some of these cab files will not work properly when they worked fine on many other (HTC) WM6 devices I have had. I had brief stints W/ ETEN X800 and a MIO0702 with same types of issues. I would imagine it's because of directory placment for the files when they were designed for HTC devices?? This is my next quest....

Its related to the certificate which the Menu/title bar are signed with, when you run the two programs on a non-HTC device it will not cause a certificate issue so the program will not run automatically on starting up the device.

If you get a copy of dotfreds task manager, and click on the services tab then click & hold on the Menu or titlebar service and select "start" the program(s) will now start to work. If you reset at all then the program(s) will not automatically start because of the certificate issue.

This is part of Windows Mobile security if a program is unsigned/unpriviledge or certificate indicates tampering, then the program will not run on startup (after a reset). Since the two programs are originally from a HTC device, the certificate prevents the programs from starting up automatically after a reset on a HP device.

Do search in XDA-Devs for un/resigning certificates.

Jase

Hi all,

I own a 614c for a week now and I think is great. Now I am trying to connect the GPS of 614c to my laptop using bluetooth, do you know if this is possible? I succesfully managed to connect to activesync using bluetooth but I cannot find any info on how to connect the GPS.

Note that I am using Garmin mapSource software on my laptop

Thanks

Ang

Guest dirlan2001
Hi All,

Have just received CoPilot v7 with my HP Ipaq 614c and I am having a hell of a time setting up the GPS - I know that there are some settings necessary outside of the CoPilot program, but it is next to impossible to get the 'External GPS' Settings configured correctly.

Has anybody had the same problem with this device?

If anybody is happily using the CoPilot 7 software on their HP Ipag 614c then please share the External GPS settings as I am at my wits end!!

Thanks a lot

Jono

Hi,

I'm afraid you got it the wrong way around. It's your CoPilot that needs to be pointed towards the GPS. Which means : NEVER change the internal GPS settings (should be HW : COM6 - SW COM8). Just go in the settings of CoPilot and tell it to use COM6 to connect to the GPS. If it's not working try COM8.

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest dirlan2001
Hi all,

I own a 614c for a week now and I think is great. Now I am trying to connect the GPS of 614c to my laptop using bluetooth, do you know if this is possible? I succesfully managed to connect to activesync using bluetooth but I cannot find any info on how to connect the GPS.

Note that I am using Garmin mapSource software on my laptop

Thanks

Ang

Hi,

The internal GPS will only react to requests made by applications. BT is not an application as such and cannot activate the GPS-module.

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest nihonjin

Hi i want to be able to change the functions of some of the buttons ie ok button and enter key looking button. I also want to assign new functions to the 2 buttons above the keys but below the screen Can anyone tell me how to do this.

Thanks.

Guest dirlan2001
Hi i want to be able to change the functions of some of the buttons ie ok button and enter key looking button. I also want to assign new functions to the 2 buttons above the keys but below the screen Can anyone tell me how to do this.

Thanks.

Hi,

The keypad buttons you're reffering to can't be remapped. The two keys above the keypad under the screen are the hardware version of the 2 softbuttons on the screen. They will always point towards the function or application you asign to these softbuttons. Which can be changed with a small utility called KeySwop. Do a search for it here or at XDA Dev .....

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest over.be
Hi,

The keypad buttons you're reffering to can't be remapped. The two keys above the keypad under the screen are the hardware version of the 2 softbuttons on the screen. They will always point towards the function or application you asign to these softbuttons. Which can be changed with a small utility called KeySwop. Do a search for it here or at XDA Dev .....

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi, actually it COULD be redefined. Try to use this tool http://ae.inc.ru/aebplushistory.php

p.s. I'm living in Lithuania and I'm happy owner of 614c for second week=)) It's my first PDA and it really rocks!!! Now i recommend it to all of my friends and colleagues. If i could be somehow helpful, plz dont hesitate to ask.

Guest Chucky7
Hi, actually it COULD be redefined. Try to use this tool http://ae.inc.ru/aebplushistory.php

p.s. I'm living in Lithuania and I'm happy owner of 614c for second week=)) It's my first PDA and it really rocks!!! Now i recommend it to all of my friends and colleagues. If i could be somehow helpful, plz dont hesitate to ask.

PQZII as well for the numberpad (see post 96).

Jase

Guest kaisa

Hi,

did someone figure out how to take advantage of the AGPS feature?

The GPS Receiver is working fine, first fix does only take too long time in my opinion, depending on the current location.

Sometimes it takes more than 5 minutes and more to get the first fix.

I saw on other Phones like the Asus P750, that they have some tool for Updating the GPS Data to speed the first fix up.

Well I know that the Asus P750 is different regarding the GPS Reveiver (it uses Sirf instead of Qualcomm) and the Tool for Updating GPS Data is called GPS Catcher.

But I did not find a way to configure or even have a proof if the AGPS feature works or not.

Is there some special software needed?

Someone can explain how to configure th IPAQ 614 for using AGPS?

Thank you

Guest ROGUEx360
Hi,

did someone figure out how to take advantage of the AGPS feature?

The GPS Receiver is working fine, first fix does only take too long time in my opinion, depending on the current location.

Sometimes it takes more than 5 minutes and more to get the first fix.

I saw on other Phones like the Asus P750, that they have some tool for Updating the GPS Data to speed the first fix up.

Well I know that the Asus P750 is different regarding the GPS Reveiver (it uses Sirf instead of Qualcomm) and the Tool for Updating GPS Data is called GPS Catcher.

But I did not find a way to configure or even have a proof if the AGPS feature works or not.

Is there some special software needed?

Someone can explain how to configure th IPAQ 614 for using AGPS?

Thank you

As far as I understand it, the A-GPS feature is something that will just work providing a valid SIM Card is installed in the device. Without a SIM card, the GPS will function normally, using as many satellites as possible in view to calculate your position; I have had it using 9 satellites at once with TomTom 6.

The A-GPS just allows the device to download some extra satellite information, the Assistance Data I think, containing data on the satellites (ephemeris and almanac data). This data allows the phone to get a faster fix on your position if you are using the GPS regularly. If you do not use the GPS for a long time, maybe for over a week, or move a large distance before using it again, it may take a long time to get a fix again, as the Assistance Data would have expired or not be valid for your new position.

To get a fix on your position data from atleast 3 satellites is needed, or 4 to calculate altitude also, so depending on where you are, it may take a few minutes to get a first fix, but so far I have not seen the device need more than 2 minutes to find my position.

The A-GPS does not appear to need a constant data connection through the mobile phone network, and functions like any other GPS enabled device when being used. I have only occasionally noticed my 614c connecting through GPRS by itself, which I think must be to download the Assistance Data.

There is no way to 'configure' the Assisted-GPS as far as I know, to the end user it just operates as an ordinary GPS receiver. If your phone does have a valid SIM card inside then it will automatically try and obtain the Assistance data through its network connection.

I hope this makes sense, when I bought this phone I was worried that the Assisted-GPS would not be as good as regular GPS, but infact it seems to operate and function just the same :D

Guest ROGUEx360

Now for a question of my own...

In the Buttons Menu, on the 'Lock' tab, what does the "Enable Keyguard" option do?

I have tried having it Ticked and Un-ticked, and so far do not know what the difference is yet.

Even with it ticked, and with all the buttons disabled when in stand-by, I have still have the device try to dial random numbers if I receive a message or a reminder when it is in my pocket. This will obviously wake up the device, and then all the buttons would be 'live' and so if pressed by accident, would do different things.

What does the "Keyguard" option actually do?

Is there a way to lock the keypad entirely? I have tried this by pressing and holding the 'OK' button on the left edge of the phone, as suggested by some users, but this only disables the touch wheel, and not the buttons.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I would really like all the keys to lock when I turn the phone off, even if a reminder or text message was to wake the phone up, so that no numbers could be dialled by mistake.

Thanks,

Darren.

Guest dirlan2001

In the Buttons Menu, on the 'Lock' tab, what does the "Enable Keyguard" option do?

I have tried having it Ticked and Un-ticked, and so far do not know what the difference is yet.

Even with it ticked, and with all the buttons disabled when in stand-by, I have still have the device try to dial random numbers if I receive a message or a reminder when it is in my pocket. This will obviously wake up the device, and then all the buttons would be 'live' and so if pressed by accident, would do different things.

Is there a way to lock the keypad entirely? I have tried this by pressing and holding the 'OK' button on the left edge of the phone, as suggested by some users, but this only disables the touch wheel, and not the buttons.

Any help would be much appreciated, as I would really like all the keys to lock when I turn the phone off, even if a reminder or text message was to wake the phone up, so that no numbers could be dialled by mistake.

Thanks,

Darren.

Hi,

You can lock the keypad with the OK button on the left side of the phone (!!!! not the one on the keypad itself !!!! ). Press and hold untill you see a little lock on the top-bar.

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest ROGUEx360
Hi,

You can lock the keypad with the OK button on the left side of the phone (!!!! not the one on the keypad itself !!!! ). Press and hold untill you see a little lock on the top-bar.

Cheers,

Dirk

That is what I meant when I said about pressing and holding the 'OK' button on the left edge of the phone, this is not on the keypad. This does not lock the keypad for me, but instead just disables the touch-scroll wheel functionality of the ring. The buttons keep working as normal buttons, just they do not work for the slide touch scrolling. It does put a little lock symbol on the top bar, but with a little circle of two arrows next to it.

Is this what happens on your phone? Are you sure it locks all the keys and not just the scrool wheel part of them? Have you changed any configurations to make this happen?

What ROM and O/S have you got on your phone?

Mine has OS-v1.00 and FW-v0.77, as displayed on the boot screen after a soft reset.

Cheers,

Darren

I do not have the device as mine is expected to arrive by the weekend. However reading an on-line manual the best I understood is that once the device powers itself off after the preset time you have set for auto power off, the key guard will come into action. Now when you power on the device the keypad and the screen will be locked till you follow the unlock sequence. However even when the key guard is activated but a call comes in the key guard will be deactivated automatically which is kind of strange because if the device is in your pocket you inadvertently press keys while removing it from your pocket.This is my best understanding till I actually get to experiment with my own personal phone by the end of this week. Waiting very anxiously

Thanks,

Darren.

Guest jamesholder

Hello Guys!

I am a German Ipaq (UK Version) owner and have the first problem: I bought a bluetooth stereo headset. music quality is ok but the quality of the voice commander and phone calls are really bad. does anyone have an idea how to fix this problem ?

greetz

jamesholder

Guest unileeds

Hi, Ive been playing with my IPAQ for nearly a week now, just to let everyone know, that the issue with the 3G/GSM can be resolved by priotising the networks according to the order. I have mine set to O2 3G, and O2 GSM in second place. People can swap this around if they have limited 3G coverage. I know its not perfect but just until an update is provided by HP

I also didnt realise till i read the manual, that the unit has brilliant handwriting recognition as well. Sweet!!! Over all I am quite happy with my unit, just testing the Bluetooth now. Some people have had issues, and some not.. wonder what thats all about!!!

Cheers

Guest SasaT

Tried to install newest version of the Skype, but got message that the Skype version I'm installing is not valid Windows Mobile application!? Tried with Windows Mobile & Smartphone version.

Anyone installed it?

Guest bigtart
Hi, Ive been playing with my IPAQ for nearly a week now, just to let everyone know, that the issue with the 3G/GSM can be resolved by priotising the networks according to the order. I have mine set to O2 3G, and O2 GSM in second place. People can swap this around if they have limited 3G coverage. I know its not perfect but just until an update is provided by HP

I am on Orange and there is no option to manually set the networks - only the find network button - anyone else out there on orange can confirm they are having the same issue? The phone is basically useless for me as it gets on to GPRS for about 10 seconds then the G disappears and is replaced with 3G and then I can't make any voice calls.

BT.