Questions about HP IPAQ 610

Guest spider

Guest SasaT
Hi, Ive been playing with my IPAQ for nearly a week now, just to let everyone know, that the issue with the 3G/GSM can be resolved by priotising the networks according to the order. I have mine set to O2 3G, and O2 GSM in second place. People can swap this around if they have limited 3G coverage. I know its not perfect but just until an update is provided by HP

I also didnt realise till i read the manual, that the unit has brilliant handwriting recognition as well. Sweet!!! Over all I am quite happy with my unit, just testing the Bluetooth now. Some people have had issues, and some not.. wonder what thats all about!!!

Cheers

I figured it out - i you want to install skype, download the cabinet file instead of downloading exe setup. Just copy it on your device and click it and your skype will be installed.

I tried it and it works well, there is an useful option to ensure it'll work only when WiFi is turned on. One bad thing - during the call, microphone works as expected, but the speaker is always turned on... anyone knows how to turn it off?

Guest SasaT

Under the Start/Settings/Input menu user can select wanted input method. Each time I select anything but the Keyboard, after returning to this "dialog" my option is reset back to Keyboard!?

Any hint?

Guest unileeds
Under the Start/Settings/Input menu user can select wanted input method. Each time I select anything but the Keyboard, after returning to this "dialog" my option is reset back to Keyboard!?

Any hint?

Yes you cannot change the input method using the settings. Rather click on the keyboard icon, and keep the up arrow pressed nex to the keyboard icon and you can select the various handwriting recognition iput options. Works fine that way and easier to change rather than going into settings!!

HP has this picture on their site to promote the HP 614c.

ipaq614c.jpg

I've asked HP support what theme this was since I can could not find a matching theme

on my unit. As always with HP support I received an useless reply "I dont know" from the support.

So.. can you guys maybe help me out?

Guest dirlan2001
HP has this picture on their site to promote the HP 614c.

ipaq614c.jpg

I've asked HP support what theme this was since I can could not find a matching theme

on my unit. As always with HP support I received an useless reply "I dont know" from the support.

So.. can you guys maybe help me out?

Hi,

Check this thread - page 4 - posts 79+80

Cheers,

Dirk

Guest SasaT

I'm using this phone for 5 days now and until now I'm very satisfied. Just discovered the way to use recognizers and this works simply great.

However, have problems with the default input settings. Each time I try to write a sms or when I open a word document default setting is set to XT9. This is great if you use some of only three supported languages, but for the rest of the world it is quite annoying. Is there a way to uninstall or completely disable this feature??? Or to set abc or block recognition as an ultimate default?

Thanks,

Sasa

I'm using this phone for 5 days now and until now I'm very satisfied. Just discovered the way to use recognizers and this works simply great.

However, have problems with the default input settings. Each time I try to write a sms or when I open a word document default setting is set to XT9. This is great if you use some of only three supported languages, but for the rest of the world it is quite annoying. Is there a way to uninstall or completely disable this feature??? Or to set abc or block recognition as an ultimate default?

Thanks,

Sasa

Same here, I've been searching for the solution about a week now but with no luck. Hopefully someone can find out how or HP will come up with new firmware so we can change/disable XT9 completely

Henh

Guest dirlan2001
Same here, I've been searching for the solution about a week now but with no luck. Hopefully someone can find out how or HP will come up with new firmware so we can change/disable XT9 completely

Henh

Hi,

When you open an application that needs input, click on the littlearrow next to the 'keyboard-icon' and change to the input methode you want to use.

Besides, AFAIK only Resco Keyboard Pro has an option to set it as 'default' and KEEP it default.

Cheers,

Dirk

Hi,

When you open an application that needs input, click on the littlearrow next to the 'keyboard-icon' and change to the input methode you want to use.

Besides, AFAIK only Resco Keyboard Pro has an option to set it as 'default' and KEEP it default.

Cheers,

Dirk

Thanks Dirk,

I got Resco Keyboard Pro installed, have no problem with that. Whenever i use hardware key to text, i have to press *key 5 times to get to abc. If i forget to disable the scrolling wheel & touch to key #4,7,2,6,9 & 0 the cursor will go up to the "to:recipient line" then it go back to the annoying xt9.

I don't know what else i can do with it

Guest Kalif

Hi there

for those who needs to disable xT9 badly there is a good news YOU CAN! Check this cab on xda-dev. I have installed it (on the device storage) and now ABC input is set by default :D Hope it helps :(

KalifPL

Hi there

for those who needs to disable xT9 badly there is a good news YOU CAN! Check this cab on xda-dev. I have installed it (on the device storage) and now ABC input is set by default :D Hope it helps :(

KalifPL

Yeah, this HTC cab file work !!!

Thanks KalifPL & the xda-dev

Guest Chucky7
Hi there

KalifPL

Great find Kalif

This cab reverses the default to xt9 behaviour to default to abc.

cheers

Jase

Guest Kalif

I checked that ipaq keeps settings form the cab after the soft reset which is a good news too. I hope the other localized version of the 600 series will be released soon\, so we can rip other languages for xT9.

I found that there is a small update on the HP site but it fixes the issue which i haven't noticed yet, have you?

"FIXES:

- Fixes the issue where the battery gas gauge reports incorrect value and causes the system to shut down by resetting gas gauge when detecting incorrect value."

I checked that ipaq keeps settings form the cab after the soft reset which is a good news too. I hope the other localized version of the 600 series will be released soon\, so we can rip other languages for xT9.

I found that there is a small update on the HP site but it fixes the issue which i haven't noticed yet, have you?

"FIXES:

- Fixes the issue where the battery gas gauge reports incorrect value and causes the system to shut down by resetting gas gauge when detecting incorrect value."

I did that Bootload update, what i see is i'm on GSM all the time with Auto select network & the signal is lot more stable.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...Item=hh-59339-1

Guest unileeds

Hi, anyone tried whether the new update fixes the 3G data issue of the phone locking up and not starting unless soft restart is carried out.

Another thing, my Hp614c box says it includes a screen protector, I cant find one. Did anyone else get a screen protector?? If so where about was itin the box?

Cheers

Guest ROGUEx360

I also had no screen protector, an annoyance, but I have ordered a Durasec HighTec Screen Protector http://www.durasec.com/catalog/compaq-ipaq...af7f38e2eb1c18d.

It is one that uses adhesive/glue rather than the poor quality washable/reuseable screen protectors I once tried for my old XDA 2i that use electrostatic attraction to stick to the screen.

These types of screen protectors do exist for the iPAQ 614c, but I found that they just didn't last, however I tried them in the past out of fear that using glue would be a bad idea. But after a friend tried a Durasec HighTec on his TyTN 2, it was actually quite good. It does use glue, but can be gently peeled off leaving no residue or marks of any kind on the screen if you do want to remove it.

I am using the new ROM update too, and haven't found any difference. I never experienced the problem with 3G Switching/Instability, although I have manually set my phone to use O2 (GSM) only. It wasn't as good an update as I was expecting, but if it does fix the instability issues some users have experienced, then it's good HP go around to doing so this quickly.

One thing I am still annoyed with - HP Keyguard, found in System->Personal->Buttons->Lock

What does it do? How do you make it do anything?

My phone does nothing differently with this option ticked to when it is not ticked.

Some responses here imply that it automatically locks the whole keypad when in standby, but on mine it does not. I still have the problem where if I get a text message, missed call or reminder (anything to 'wake up' the phone), it may lead to the phone dialing numbers accidentally as buttons get pushed.

Guest unileeds
I also had no screen protector, an annoyance, but I have ordered a Durasec HighTec Screen Protector http://www.durasec.com/catalog/compaq-ipaq...af7f38e2eb1c18d.

It is one that uses adhesive/glue rather than the poor quality washable/reuseable screen protectors I once tried for my old XDA 2i that use electrostatic attraction to stick to the screen.

These types of screen protectors do exist for the iPAQ 614c, but I found that they just didn't last, however I tried them in the past out of fear that using glue would be a bad idea. But after a friend tried a Durasec HighTec on his TyTN 2, it was actually quite good. It does use glue, but can be gently peeled off leaving no residue or marks of any kind on the screen if you do want to remove it.

I am using the new ROM update too, and haven't found any difference. I never experienced the problem with 3G Switching/Instability, although I have manually set my phone to use O2 (GSM) only. It wasn't as good an update as I was expecting, but if it does fix the instability issues some users have experienced, then it's good HP go around to doing so this quickly.

One thing I am still annoyed with - HP Keyguard, found in System->Personal->Buttons->Lock

What does it do? How do you make it do anything?

My phone does nothing differently with this option ticked to when it is not ticked.

Some responses here imply that it automatically locks the whole keypad when in standby, but on mine it does not. I still have the problem where if I get a text message, missed call or reminder (anything to 'wake up' the phone), it may lead to the phone dialing numbers accidentally as buttons get pushed.

Isint the absence of a scrreen protector, when it is stated on the box, and manual breach of contract on Hp's part? Anyway, the 3G issue i believe is, based on teh data connection. If you have 3G data connection active, and you move out of 3G range, the phone des not revert back to GSM or even work as a phone anymore an dyou have to reset the phone. The phone as such seemlessly works between the 3G and GSM phone connections, but with an active data connections, there is trouble!!!

cheers

Guest Bobbik

Hello Guys!

There are two issues which really bothered me about this great device - one is solved (disabling xT9) and the second thing is 3,5mm jack adapter. I have personally tried Motorola reductions (does not work, audio is probably on the top of conector by HP and standard is at the bottom - Motorola), it fits but does not work. HTC has completely different type of mini usb.

Any recommendations where to buy?

Guest hungryJack

Hi all,

I owned a iPAQ 612c. If you have any question or would like to share with me. I m willing to test on behalf of you.

Basically i had using this unit for a few weeks. So far i don't found any big issue unless i have found out that when this unit overheat (u feel the warm), u'll experience it unable to charge the battery via sync or power adapter.

2. I was doubt that i saw previous post someone said that this unit can support up to 8GB SDHC microSD card, but as far as i know from HP document it states only 2GB. And do not support SDHC in this devices.

3. My GPS just work well by using Garmin and mal-sing maps. But the cons is that some of the time, it will have difficulties to start the GPSProxy, it shown all 0 degree, 0 values so GPS is not able to use unless more satelite is being detected.

4. Alarm a little sucks. The default alarm ringtone unable to change to MP3 or so. It was unable to wake me up all the time ... lol

5. I saw from previous thread, someone mention how to use the keyguard function. By right, u need to

Start -> Setting -> buttons -> lock tab -> check the "Enable keyguard" box and OK.

When your iPAQ enter standby mode, it should be automatically lock the keypad, so when u trying push the power button, it will prompt to unlock the keypad by press and release the left and right soft key.

6. the left "OK" button is just to disable the smartwheel function, i guess someone have provided the wrong info in prev post.

Best Regards,

Jack

Guest SasaT
I was doubt that i saw previous post someone said that this unit can support up to 8GB SDHC microSD card, but as far as i know from HP document it states only 2GB. And do not support SDHC in this devices.

I ordered a 8 GB microSDHC from Sandisk and should get it in few days. Before ordering I checked on available forums and several people reported successful usage of the 8 GB SDHC cards, so I believe they are supported. When I get it I'll inform you about it.

Thanks to Kalif for the XT9 update :-)

Edited by SasaT

Guest hungryJack
4gb SDHC card works fine :D

james

hi James,

Could u pls try to use your iPAQ until almost drain all the battery. approximately 2% - 5%. Try to charge the iPAQ whether it able to charge or not? thanks.

Jack

Guest SasaT
I did that Bootload update, what i see is i'm on GSM all the time with Auto select network & the signal is lot more stable.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...Item=hh-59339-1

I tried to install this update but got the following error message:

"This version of theIPAQ Update Utility is not compatible with your IPAQ. Please obtain the correct update and try again.

This Update: Model ID: HP IPAQ 61(??,?) Business Navigator

Your Device: Model ID: HP IPAQ 614c NG Business Navigator"

As I can see this update should match... also, this is the only available update... any idea or help tip would be great.

Thanks,

Sasa

Edited by SasaT