Touch Dual on Orange - to be released this week

Guest gavboy

Popped into an Orange store this morning on the way to work. The manager told me they were expecting the Touch Dual in store this week, possibly even as early as today.

Is anyone else as excited about this as me?

Guest starstrike
Popped into an Orange store this morning on the way to work. The manager told me they were expecting the Touch Dual in store this week, possibly even as early as today.

Is anyone else as excited about this as me?

I am 15 months into an 18 month contract spending around £45 a month and currently I have the spv m3100. I have dropped it a bit and it is starting to be a bit funny. I am looking to upgrade within the next couple of months. It will be either the TYTN II or the Touch Dual. Although maybe I should wait to see about the Omni or something else forthcoming.. Do you think I could get a touch dual or TYTN II for free at the moment? Or would they want to sting me.. Surely they cant ask too much as I could leave in 3 months and I am sure someone else would like a £45-£50 a month user..

Also the look of the touch dual is appealing but I might not get used to not having a keyboard again!

Guest thewitney
I am 15 months into an 18 month contract spending around £45 a month and currently I have the spv m3100. I have dropped it a bit and it is starting to be a bit funny. I am looking to upgrade within the next couple of months. It will be either the TYTN II or the Touch Dual. Although maybe I should wait to see about the Omni or something else forthcoming.. Do you think I could get a touch dual or TYTN II for free at the moment? Or would they want to sting me.. Surely they cant ask too much as I could leave in 3 months and I am sure someone else would like a £45-£50 a month user..

Also the look of the touch dual is appealing but I might not get used to not having a keyboard again!

Hi,

I can't speak about the new touch as I have no idea what Orange will charge but I can confirm that a fee of £89.99 will be charged for the TyTn II no matter what your monthly spend is with them.

Guest adicken

Spoke to my local Orange shop who said it was due this week sometime. However, they also told me to check each day. Reports are that the device is with Orange's warehouse department and is being tested but will be going out this week. rumours are that it will appear on their website next week (21st) which indicate that it really will be in the shops this week. Again, rumours are that it will cost £30 on upgrdae on a £30.00 per month tarrif.

Oh, and yes i am excited!!!

I'm struggling with my conscience. I think I should really wait until it's released on T-Mobile (or Sim free) because of the horrendous Orange data plan. However, I'm really impatient to get this phone and I'm considering signing up for 18 month's worth of Orange misery just to get this device a month earlier.

Any advice?

Guest starstrike
I'm struggling with my conscience. I think I should really wait until it's released on T-Mobile (or Sim free) because of the horrendous Orange data plan. However, I'm really impatient to get this phone and I'm considering signing up for 18 month's worth of Orange misery just to get this device a month earlier.

Any advice?

I pay £8 a month for OW unlimited 1000mb plan. I signed up to that last Septmeber. I think it was some limited thing or withdrawn but it is great for me. Surely they have some half decent plans by now.

Guest starstrike
Nope. It's £8 for 30MB.

It might well be now but that is not what I have ;) It was a limited offer for Panther/Premium users..

The Touch Dual on Orange is it going to have the 16 or 20 keypad?

It might well be now but that is not what I have ;) It was a limited offer for Panther/Premium users..

The Touch Dual on Orange is it going to have the 16 or 20 keypad?

16 I believe

I read somewhere else that it is going to be offically available from next week but through retentions from now onwards..

What will be available? The phone or the data bundle?

It is the phone that is coming soon.. I think the tarif has disapeered for ever.. At least for the time being.

I spoke to Orange retentions/disconnections yesterday and said I was leaving because of the data bundles. They offered me free off-peak unlimited data as well as giving me the £8/30mb data to use during peak hours for free too.

It was a nice try but I'm not sure it's enough to keep me with Orange.

Guest starstrike
I spoke to Orange retentions/disconnections yesterday and said I was leaving because of the data bundles. They offered me free off-peak unlimited data as well as giving me the £8/30mb data to use during peak hours for free too.

It was a nice try but I'm not sure it's enough to keep me with Orange.

I am sure that is the best they could possibly offer.. I dont know why as it seems crazy compared with what T-mobile offer as explicitly advertised and also what Vodaphone now offer (although O2 are still worse?). I probably use about 125mb a month of my 1000mb so maybe I go over a bit during 'peak hours'..

Did you find out about the touch dual when you were on the phone.. I think I will call on Monday.

Guest deejayry

Well i just ordered a Touch Dual from orange and changed my orange world access 10mb/8quid for the 30mb/8quid bundle.

I've not been that impressed with oranges upgrade options, i'm shocked that they arent even thinking of offering the advantage. For owners of the M5000/Universal there is no real upgrade avaliable, despite threats to go to O2, orange still cant offer me anything that great. I'm not totally convinced by the touch, got a feeling i'll be sending it back in the first week!

I dont understand the logic behind oranges decision to scale down the HTC phones since they were the first uk operator to offer a HTC handset, you'd think they would have the best choice.

Guest starstrike

I upgraded to the Touch Dual today 15 months into an 18 month contract. £9.99 on 12 months £35 p/m + £8 OWU 1000mb (until April but will be confirmed tomorrow by a manager for another 18 months).

I like Orange =)

Guest starstrike

Just had a txt from Orange to say that I can only have OWU 1000mb until April 2008 then I would need to speak to them again and arrange a new data package. This was from a manager. So not so good... Hopefully I can get £8 for 30mb + unlimited off peak which is the best alternative I have seen.

Guest starstrike

I have the phone now.. I am at work so could only have a quick play. It is packaged very neatly, comes with a 1gb micro SD card, decent earphones, and the usual. I took some pics on my old TYTN and will upload them later.. After you setup the screen it loads the orange customisation after 3 seconds which bloats the phone and makes it look horrible. So the first task is to unpack that orange and grey bloated crap. Not sure how I will get on without the keyboard but it is nearly half the thickness and weight of the TYTN. It also comes with a fairly girly material bag for a case :l

What do others think?

Guest Radeon12345

Been using my new dual phone and to be honest I think it's a load of crap, great that it has double the CPU speed, ROM and memory but compared to my Touch it feels very slow and sluggish, running a few apps it's again slow. :(

When loading Solitaire and moving the cards around my Touch does this very, very smoothly, but the Touch Dual is very stuttery and slow, this should not be considering it's double the speed of the touch and a completely different CPU, same when browsing the menu and scrolling up and down :D

Not impressed at all ;) :(

Also if you want to get rid of the Orange crap, when you start the phone and it gives you that 3 second countdown, pull the battery out during countdown, restart the phone and then you will have got rid of most of the Orange customizations :)

Edited by Radeon12345

Guest starstrike
Been using my new dual phone and to be honest I think it's a load of crap, great that it has double the CPU speed, ROM and memory but compared to my Touch it feels very slow and sluggish, running a few apps it's again slow. :(

When loading Solitaire and moving the cards around my Touch does this very, very smoothly, but the Touch Dual is very stuttery and slow, this should not be considering it's double the speed of the touch and a completely different CPU, same when browsing the menu and scrolling up and down :D

Not impressed at all ;) :(

Also if you want to get rid of the Orange crap, when you start the phone and it gives you that 3 second countdown, pull the battery out during countdown, restart the phone and then you will have got rid of most of the Orange customizations :)

I genuinely think that it is the really really bad Orange bloatware that is causing the slow down. Mine didnt seem that bad while playing Solitare though!

Acutally is there a large software QWERTY keyboard download available for WM6? I think I will need one!

Just had a txt from Orange to say that I can only have OWU 1000mb until April 2008 then I would need to speak to them again and arrange a new data package. This was from a manager. So not so good... Hopefully I can get £8 for 30mb + unlimited off peak which is the best alternative I have seen.

Whats the deal with OWU?

When I called up they said no such thing existed. They said the best they had 30mb per month or something. :s

Guest Radeon12345

Have phoned Orange and am sending my Dual back as it's no better than my current one, only thing I like was the extra storage space and memory, this is what the original touch should have had, sticking with my original touch for now, will upgrade again once the touch cruise comes out ;)

Guest Bob the Gooner

Has the Touch Been released by Orange yet?

I rang up orange and they told me that there is no release date for it and call back in a few weeks?

Its also not on the orange site

Anyone?