The Official Samsung i620 'Ask Chris' Thread

Guest Monolithix

Guest Monolithix

So, after some interesting reported specs but disappointing results in the end product, the i620 is here!

This unit arrived earlier today and I'm now using it as my primary device. Just to confirm, there is definately NO wifi! However, it *is* a sexy looking device ;). This is the black and chrome variant. I'll be using it for the next few weeks and will write up a full review once I've given it a decent run-in. In the mean time though, if you are interested in getting this device, ask any questions you have below!

(Piccy coming up :()

Guest marksurry

I've been using mine for a few weeks now and find it a great device. At first I thought the qwerty keyboard was great but as my confidence in using it grows I'm making more mistakes by pressing too many buttons at once. It's still damn quick though.

I have photos of this device on my blog:

Samsung i620 photos

And a quick review and first thoughts here:

Samsung i620 thoughts

Edited by marksurry

Guest marksurry
marksurry - do you like it?

P

As you can see from my post signature I've used a few Windows Mobile devices and I can honestly say I think the Samsung is one of the best. Opera browser is a nice addition to the device and runs quick using HSDPA.

As mentioned earlier the qwerty keyboard works surprisingly well but you will find the occasional sausage finger grabbing more than one button at a time.

Battery life is ok for a Samsung device. I'm using the standard battery with Push email connected all day, 15 mins a day call time, couple of emails sent, few received, few SMS and I'm getting up to 2 days of battery life. The extended battery is getting up to 3 days life.

Ending calls can be tricky if the slide is shut. You have to click the centre button to activate the touch keys before clicking the red end call button. Rule of thumb is "if the touch keys are illuminated you can use them, if they're NOT illuminated then you can't use them". I think this feature is in place to stop you accidentally hanging up a call when pushed to your face.

Bottom line: Highly recommended device.

Edited by marksurry

Guest marksurry
Do you use 3G, i'm struggling to get a day out of this one!

Yes I do, 3G is connected all day. The first few charge cycles of each battery proved really bad. After a few charge/discharge cycles it improved significantly.

Take the battery charge indicator on the Today screen with a pinch of salt though. Instead hold the home screen button to bring up Task Manager and select menu then the battery option. This gives a more accurate figure I think.

Guest Monolithix

Yes, i'd noticed it wasn't particularly accurate. However my overall experience with 3G is very poor on the normal battery. This is a review unit though, so it should have a had a decent run in, on the other hand that might mean its been abused as well though!

Guest marksurry
Yes, i'd noticed it wasn't particularly accurate. However my overall experience with 3G is very poor on the normal battery. This is a review unit though, so it should have a had a decent run in, on the other hand that might mean its been abused as well though!

Mine is a final production unit purchased from Expansys a few weeks back.

All though my 3G is connected all day (3G or 3G+ icon over the signal meter) it's not transmitting and/or receiving all day. I have to admit if I surf the internet on the i620 it does make a huge dent in battery life. I'm lucky if I surf for more than 20 minutes a day though so it's not a huge problem.

Guest lennylen

I am trying to figure out if the i620 can sync with exchange server (4smartphone.net). In the specs on samsung site, the only name pop/imap for mail options, no exchange.

Do you have a clue?

thanks!

Lenny

Guest spacerace
I am trying to figure out if the i620 can sync with exchange server (4smartphone.net). In the specs on samsung site, the only name pop/imap for mail options, no exchange.

Do you have a clue?

thanks!

Lenny

ALL WM devices can sync with an Exchange Server (I don't know of one that can't?)

Guest lennylen
ALL WM devices can sync with an Exchange Server (I don't know of one that can't?)

That was my firt thought as well, but the service department of the largest smartphoneshop in the netherlands answered that it is not nessicairily so that every windows mobile device can do everything windows mobile has by default.

So i wanted to check for sure before i buy.

I just got clear moment while thinking :( and downloaded the user guide. Off course it does sync with exchange.... how could i ever have doubted that ;) .

Thanks for repying and sorry for bothering you.

Have a nice day!

Lenny

Guest spacerace
That was my firt thought as well, but the service department of the largest smartphoneshop in the netherlands answered that it is not nessicairily so that every windows mobile device can do everything windows mobile has by default.

So i wanted to check for sure before i buy.

I just got clear moment while thinking :( and downloaded the user guide. Off course it does sync with exchange.... how could i ever have doubted that ;) .

Thanks for repying and sorry for bothering you.

Have a nice day!

Lenny

Yes you're right, many networks sometimes cripple handsets they release, but I've never heard of this particular feature being removed.

Guest marksurry

Do you have a clue?

thanks!

Lenny

I'm using push on my i620 on the "mail2web' exchange server. One really good feature with this device is that you can set up different sync modes for peak and off peak times. I have push running all day then it switches to manual sync at off peak times. Basically means the phone isn't bleeping all though the night when email arrives. I've only found this feature on my Samsung i620 Windows Smartphone.

Peak times are from 8am to 6pm and can not be altered which is a shame.

Guest spacerace
I'm using push on my i620 on the "mail2web' exchange server. One really good feature with this device is that you can set up different sync modes for peak and off peak times. I have push running all day then it switches to manual sync at off peak times. Basically means the phone isn't bleeping all though the night when email arrives. I've only found this feature on my Samsung i620 Windows Smartphone.

Peak times are from 8am to 6pm and can not be altered which is a shame.

Again, this is available on every WM Smartphone I've ever had - going back to WM2003 devices, a very handy feature.

Guest marksurry
Again, this is available on every WM Smartphone I've ever had - going back to WM2003 devices, a very handy feature.

Do you know what? I just checked for the sync schedule feature on my Vodafone V1415 and funny enough the feature is there. I honestly didn't know my last Windows device had that feature, DOH!

Still learning ;)

Guest lennylen

have you discoverd disadvantages for the i620 yet? I know it doesn't have wi-fi, but i don't really care. I have unlimited internet acces on my tel. subscription.

I have read about 10 reviews now, and most people think for example the battery life is quit good. Can you confirm, being a 'regular' user?

What do you think about it, after using it for a while?

Guest marksurry
have you discoverd disadvantages for the i620 yet? I know it doesn't have wi-fi, but i don't really care. I have unlimited internet acces on my tel. subscription.

I have read about 10 reviews now, and most people think for example the battery life is quit good. Can you confirm, being a 'regular' user?

What do you think about it, after using it for a while?

As mentioned earlier in this thread I'm finding it one of the better Windows mobile devices I've used. Battery life is good after a few charge/discharge cycles, around 2 days for the standard battery and 3 days for the extended battery. Like you I don't miss wifi as I only want to use the device on the go and the HSDPA is pretty quick.

I have photos of this device on my blog:

Samsung i620 photos

And a quick review and first thoughts here:

Samsung i620 thoughts

The qwerty keyboard is ok, similar to the Treo 750V I used to use. You do get the occasional wrong button presses though.

All in all, a great device.

By the way, I moved from an S710 to the i620. You'll notice how light the i620 is when compared to the heavy S710.

Edited by marksurry

Guest Monolithix

Yep indeed i am. I've spent this week getting very little sleep finishing a rather important uni assignment, so while this is the first time i've checked this thread in a few days i have now had some time to get used to the i620!

Battery: i turned off 3G and with limited internet use i'm getting 2-3 days, give or take. My staple has been 10-60 mins of chat, multiple sms, a *little* bit of browsing and push email. Next week i'll try with 3G on. It seems extended browsing has more of an effect than i was expecting. My normal usage is lots of palringo and web browsing so i'll see how it goes.

Other stuff that bugs me, the touch sensitive buttons seem to be very slightly misaligned. Its not really a problem but can lead to mis-hits every now and then. Other than that theres nothing major, its a really nice device and if the touch dual wasn't just around the corner i'd be very tempted to get one myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest helpme

Dear All,

Can someone do a MP3 running test on the i620 please, I love to know the damage to the battery life from playback of mp3. Thanks.

Elton

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.