How to change Shadow's Neo Theme

Guest kwoodall

Guest hamsuplo
I have been messing around with .CABs, would you mind if I put your theme into a CAB? I did it for myself, Icons and all, but its not quite finished. All credit goes to you for the theme of course.

Go for it, I don't mind at all. We're all here to help and share. :(

Guest bluefrequency
I've enjoyed testing out all this stuff and slightly tweaking the layout of my phone, but how do i change the color of the start button area. i never have had any issues copying the files back over to the phone, but i can't get the color to change from the brown/gold. anyone got any suggestions, which file is it that i need to change the color?

if you look at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Color, there is a BaseHue key. I altered it to 000000 (which then bacame 123, don't ask me why) and the lower start menu/softkey area became a light grey. It remained the same color when in the start menu, as well as changing the top bar to the same (but only in the start menu- outside of it, it was still brown).

hope this helps

if you look at HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Color, there is a BaseHue key. I altered it to 000000 (which then bacame 123, don't ask me why) and the lower start menu/softkey area became a light grey. It remained the same color when in the start menu, as well as changing the top bar to the same (but only in the start menu- outside of it, it was still brown).

hope this helps

If you are using a T-Mobile branded Shadow then your default bookmarks in IE include a link to download windows mobile themes straight from MS. The Themes included have a nice assortment of colors. I am using Earth View which works very nice with the edited Neo elements. No need to waste time hacking the registry here, amazingly!

You can chage your theme in settings > home screen

Edited by D.Noob

Guest gbenrus25
I just double checked the zip and it looks like all the basic files are there. Only thing I can think of that could still be brown is the textglow image, which I have attached on this post. It's basically a complete transparent image as I thought the text glow didn't look good even on the original theme. Please note that the files I posted are just for the home screen. I haven't done much anywhere else (ie, start menu background, in-call background, etc.) If I do, I'll definitely post them.

If there are other traces of brown that I am not aware of, let me know or post a screenshot.

Yeah, could you please attach the images. It's obvious you did additional work on them since you needed to make inactive ones also. I downloaded them from iconaholic but it only comes with the actual icons and not the inactive ones. Great theme! Thanks.

Guest trickinit
If you are using a T-Mobile branded Shadow then your default bookmarks in IE include a link to download windows mobile themes straight from MS. The Themes included have a nice assortment of colors. I am using Earth View which works very nice with the edited Neo elements. No need to waste time hacking the registry here, amazingly!

You can chage your theme in settings > home screen

lol.. I think the first thing I did with my Shadow was delete all those bookmarks... whoops! :(

Guest gbenrus25
Very nice work! You've really pulled everything together well, thematically and graphically.

As for your question about Comm Manager. I've found that it's background is stored within the program itself, as is the case with My Faves, and a few other programs. You CAN change these, I just don't think it's a good idea necessarily since you'll have to use a resource editor to change these items.

Kermit Woodall

Managing Editor

GadgetNutz.com

What you said is probably accurate but some guy at xda developers changed the color of his comm manager background. I just asked him for how he did it and I'm awaiting a reply. Here's the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...549#post1700549

Come to think of it, you started the thread over there. Oh well!

Edited by gbenrus25

Guest hamsuplo
Just reread it, I meant it's missing the icons, that's all :(

P

Oh ok, I didn't know what you meant at first. Yeah, the icons were intentionally left out to keep the zip simple and small. Also, icons I used may not work for others since I added/removed a bunch of links/apps from the neo theme. Some may prefer another icon or the stock iconset than what I used. Reason why I posted where I got the icons from instead and let you guys use whatever fits your needs. If you guys want, I can definitely post the icons (at least the side menu) when I get home tonite. :D

Guest gbenrus25

I have edited most of the brown stuff in the background to blue (new notification icon, caller background, wmp skin...). However, I'm still trying to figure out how to change the comm manager background (some guy at xda developers did it and I'm awaiting a response). However, here are the files I've done so far. Add the blue.scheme.xml to /Application Data/Home and the rest to the /windows folder and replace when asked. You could back up original files first if interested.

I didn't add the icons however. I'm guessing humpsolo would do that later.

humpsolo, I hope this is cool with you. If not, let me know and I'd take it down.

Blue_Theme.zip

Edited by gbenrus25

Guest hamsuplo
I have edited most of the brown stuff in the background to blue (new notification icon, caller background, wmp skin...). However, I'm still trying to figure out how to change the comm manager background (some guy at xda developers did it and I'm awaiting a response). However, here are the files I've done so far. Add the blue.scheme.xml to /Application Data/Home and the rest to the /windows folder and replace when asked. You could back up original files first if interested.

I didn't add the icons however. I'm guessing humpsolo would do that later.

humpsolo, I hope this is cool with you. If not, let me know and I'd take it down.

I'm cool with it, glad you guys are enjoying it enough to continue modifying it.

:(

I took a quick peek at your zip and noticed you used the background with the shadow on the side. I can post the original wallpaper without the sides if you like.

Guest gbenrus25
I'm cool with it, glad you guys are enjoying it enough to continue modifying it.

:(

I took a quick peek at your zip and noticed you used the background with the shadow on the side. I can post the original wallpaper without the sides if you like.

yeah, that'd be cool.

hi.... i just got my shadow yesterday and im a noob at this.... i want to customize my theme but i can't seem to see the /Windows folder :( ....do i need to create a new folder named windows?... i dont kno wat im doing wrong, i'll really appreciate it if someone could help me.... tnx

Edited by axv91

Guest trickinit
hi.... i just got my shadow yesterday and im a noob at this.... i want to customize my theme but i can't seem to see the /Windows folder :( ....do i need to create a new folder named windows?... i dont kno wat im doing wrong, i'll really appreciate it if someone could help me.... tnx

While in the root folder of your Shadow, go up to Tools>Folder Options>View>Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

That should make it appear.

While in the root folder of your Shadow, go up to Tools>Folder Options>View>Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

lol.... i feel really stupid, it was that simple :D .... thank u very much for the help, i really appreciate it :(

Guest badbob001

I used hamsuplo's base files along with junior icons I downloaded from iconaholic.com and the results are nice! Thanks hamsuplo. I only updated the main icons and didn't bother with the many subicons. I didn't even bother to resize the icons and the neo interface will shrink them to fit. It's kind of neat having the icons being so big and a little overflowing and bleeding off the screen. I even made a poor-man's photo contact dialer by making a copy of the CLinks section.

For the icons:

1. Download icandy junior icons from http://www.iconaholic.com/downloads.html.

2. Download Faststone image viewer from http://faststone.org/.

3. Use Faststone to batch convert the .ico files to .png to create the active icons.

4. To make inactive icons, use Faststone to batch convert the .png files with the advanced adjustment option for Sepia. You can adjust the settings to change the hue.

5. The only real work was that I used Adobe Fireworks to add the glowing red exclaimation mark to neo's glowing notification icon.

There are the files that I updated:

from iconholics.com:

CHome_Appointments_desat_inactive.png

CHome_Appointments_sat_active.png

CHome_clock_desat_inactive.png

CHome_clock_sat_active.png

CHome_home_desat_inactive.png

CHome_home_sat_active.png

CHome_home_sat_inactive_glow.png

CHome_links_desat_inactive.png

CHome_links_sat_active.png

CHome_music_desat_inactive.png

CHome_music_sat_active.png

CHome_MyPhotos_desat_inactive.png

CHome_MyPhotos_sat_active.png

CHome_sendmessage_desat_inactive.png

CHome_sendmessage_sat_active.png

CHome_settings_desat_inactive.png

CHome_settings_sat_active.png

from hamsuplo's zip:

CHome_framework_background_p.png

CHome_framework_glass_p.png

CHome_framework_NavIconselectionPanel.png

CHome_framework_status_bar_bg.png

CHome_framework_TextGlow_p.png

CHome_framework_textpanel_NoNPI_p.png

CHome_framework_textpanel_p.png

Converted to jpg and bmp from hamsuplo's background post. You will notice that the files you are overwriting are slightly taller. Don't worry about it and there is no need to adjust the output size.

BackgroundImage_Port.bmp

PhoneBKI1_Port.jpg

PhoneBKI2_Port.jpg

T-MobileBasicBrown.jpg

If you're curious, the NEO interface does support landscape mode, as evident by the different skin files for portrait and for landscape. I used a mortscript command to rotate the screen and the neo interface automatically uses the landscape files. The only problem is that the shadow's input drivers are not designed for the flip to landscape and so the dpad does not shift orientation.

Now to make a skin for my wife's shadow. She is now jealous of my shadow's new look and all I can say is that I'm prototyping for a perfect skin for your phone. I wonder if there are cute hello kitty icons out there.

post-121168-1197041167_thumb.png post-121168-1197041180_thumb.png

Edited by badbob001

Guest gbenrus25

so I have edited the whole theme to instead use his new background. I have attached this theme. Just follow the same old instructions. Copy blue.scheme.xml to Application Data/Home and copy all the other files to the Windows folder.

To change the comm manager screen to blue, look at the last two posts.

Finally, I haven't changed the icons so you could use badbob001's method to change the icons if you prefer! However, it'd be really nice if hamsuplo could upload his icons. Have fun

A few screenshots of the theme:

Blue_Theme.zip

post-200889-1197073941_thumb.png

post-200889-1197073947_thumb.png

post-200889-1197073952_thumb.png

post-200889-1197073956_thumb.png

post-200889-1197073962_thumb.png

post-200889-1197073967_thumb.png

Edited by gbenrus25

tnx for the help overwriting the icons badbob... really appreciate it :(

--

i've been wondering for a while now, how do u change the icons inside the start menu? and is it possible to have animated icons?

Guest hamsuplo

Your welcome badbob001! :D Glad you guys enjoy it. I actually think the bigger icons you made looks better than mine.

As much as I enjoyed the Shadow, there was just a few annoying things that I couldn't get over so I have exchanged and went back to the Blackberry side. :D It was fun the short time I had it though. Unfortunately I won't be skinning the neo theme anymore to share with you guys.

Good luck tweaking those Shadows! I'll probably pop in once in a while just to see how everything is going. :(

Guest badbob001
As much as I enjoyed the Shadow, there was just a few annoying things that I couldn't get over so I have exchanged and went back to the Blackberry side. :D It was fun the short time I had it though. Unfortunately I won't be skinning the neo theme anymore to share with you guys.

Sorry to see you go to the 'dark' side. :( Did you have any templates or suggestions on how we can create our own backgrounds, especially for CHome_framework_background_p.png and CHome_framework_glass_p.png? Can't just adjust the hue on the same background forever.

I found some great icons here: http://fasticon.com/freeware/ and combined some to make a skin for my wife's shadow. I think the notification icon is especially cute, with four different poses (the fourth pose is only visible when a notification comes in and it blinks the icon.)

post-121168-1197317158_thumb.png post-121168-1197317170_thumb.png post-121168-1197317536_thumb.png

post-121168-1197317176_thumb.png post-121168-1197317182_thumb.png post-121168-1197317188_thumb.png

post-121168-1197317193_thumb.png post-121168-1197317199_thumb.png post-121168-1197317205_thumb.png

post-121168-1197317211_thumb.png

UPDATE 03/18/2008: jiffypophead lets me know that I'm missing the settings icons. I guess everyone else who downloaded the attachment either didn't try it or used it long enough to notice. :D Here's the zip with the missing files:

cute01a.zip

post-121168-1197392652_thumb.png

post-121168-1197392735_thumb.png

Edited by badbob001

Guest alex55030

Hi sorry to sound like a noob, but I tried that and I still can't find that Windows folder. I made one up just to try and the blue scheme did work but the background and everything else didn't which wasn't a surprise. Don't know why I cant find that Windows folder.

Guest badbob001
Hi sorry to sound like a noob, but I tried that and I still can't find that Windows folder. I made one up just to try and the blue scheme did work but the background and everything else didn't which wasn't a surprise. Don't know why I cant find that Windows folder.

On the device:

start > file explorer

you should be in the \My Documents folder

click the left soft key (up) to go to folder \

Windows folder is here.

You can't overwrite system files over activesync so there is no point doing this through the host PC. Anyway, the connection over activesync is similar: you first end up in the My Documents folder and you have to go up one level to see the Windows folder.

Edited by badbob001

Guest alex55030
On the device:

start > file explorer

you should be in the \My Documents folder

click the left soft key (up) to go to folder \

Windows folder is here.

You can't overwrite system files over activesync so there is no point doing this through the host PC. Anyway, the connection over activesync is similar: you first end up in the My Documents folder and you have to go up one level to see the Windows folder.

Ah I misunderstood, thank you so much :(

edit: just figured how to change background in the start menu... :D

new question: :( does anyone kno how to change the icon bar at the top?

Edited by axv91

Hello, I just created cabs for different color themes for the Shadow, you can see how they look like in my personal site @freddyreyes.com:

Neo Blue Theme: http://freddyreyes.com/index.php?option=co...info&id=159

Neo Black Theme: http://freddyreyes.com/index.php?option=co...info&id=157

and if you want to go back the original T-Mobile Brown theme: http://freddyreyes.com/index.php?option=co...info&id=158

Those cabs also change the "application background" (what you see when you click on "start") and bar colors to match the themes.

Enjoy it.