The first thing you must do with your Shadow!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

You know how the brown start menu background makes the icons in the start menu look all pixellated and nasty? Well, it turns out that if you delete the corresponding registry entry, it reverts to a much nicer light brown gradient that looks GREAT!

So.... using a registry editor of your choice, delete HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\RAI\:MSStart\BKBitmapFile

;)

P

Guest chaznet

I made the change and find I actually preferred the default display -- ooops -- it was a lot easier to delete than to put back. If you can, can you post the original value for what I just deleted? Thanks! ;)

Guest palmsolo
Haha!

I deleted it too so can't tell u, but then I prefer it now. Maybe if it was just a bit lighter...

P

Lighter? Shoot, I deleted mine and now it is almost white. I still like it better than that horribly pixelated brown that was there.

Guest chaznet

I deleted the entire key, not just the value -- which I'm thinking I did wrong as when I try to access my start menu now, I get an MSStart error. Fortunately, xBar is working fine on my Shadow and has a startmenu of its own. What entry do I need to create to get my startmenu back? Thanks!!

Haha!

I deleted it too so can't tell u, but then I prefer it now. Maybe if it was just a bit lighter...

P

Guest Robbinsgj
I made the change and find I actually preferred the default display -- ooops -- it was a lot easier to delete than to put back. If you can, can you post the original value for what I just deleted? Thanks! ;)

The original value is \windows\t-mobilebasicbrown.jpg

Guest chaznet

Thanks, I tried that -- start menu is still broken -- when I try to access it, I get an alert screen:

Can't find ':MSStart (or one of it's components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available

Before I hard reset the device, anyone know of something I might've missed when putting back the BKBitmapFile info into the :MSStart area of the registry? Maybe even a registry export of that particular part of the registry? I seem to have trashed mine.

Don't suppose anyone has time to post their original (or working) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Shell\RAI\:MSStart registry entries? ;)

Probably need to do a hard-reset to get them back-I can't see the full value Text using Total Commander.

Guest chaznet
Probably need to do a hard-reset to get them back-I can't see the full value Text using Total Commander.

Nah... don't think you looked in the right place, but thanks though. Within :MSStart, there are a bunch of entries -- it's those I'm looking for, not an actual value for :MSStart -- currently, mine are:

[ab] (Default) (value not set)

[ab] 1 (appman.exe -s BootApps :MSStart tpcutil.dll AMStart)

[D] 2 0x0 (0)

[D] 3 0x0 (0)

[ab] BKBitmapFile \windows\t-mobilebasicbrown.jpg

[D] BKBitmapTextColor 0xFFFFFF (16777215)

[D] BKBitmapTransparent 0xFF00FF (16711935)

[D] BKDefaultGradient 0x1 (1)

[D] BKFlags 0x1 (1)

[D] GridView 0x1 (1)

Guest chaznet

I'm missing parenthesis or something somewhere, as ever since I deleted the BKBitmapFile key, I have no Start Menu ;)

That looks like that should be OK chaznet...

P

Edited by chaznet

• 5 months later...
Guest IronCross1788

\windows\t-mobilebasicbrown.jpg

thats is the data value. hope that helps

I made the change and find I actually preferred the default display -- ooops -- it was a lot easier to delete than to put back. If you can, can you post the original value for what I just deleted? Thanks! :D