m3100 - unlocked but no data on 3

Guest jimmys

Hi,

Great site - this is my first post.

I have successfully unlocked my m3100 which is coming to the end of its contract on Orange. As the data rates are so expensive and because 3 has good reception in my area I decided to buy a 3 sim and pay £5 a month on PAYG. However when I try to access anything other than mobile.three.co.uk I get the message:

"This Service is not available on this device. Please use your 3 handset to access this Service."

I gather that 3 have got some way of checking which device I am using. Is there any way round this? I bought the SIM on three.co.uk and their advertising said "Love your mobile, want to join 3?" - I feel I fit in this category!

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Are you using the three wap or three.co.uk apn?

three.co.uk - with a blank username/password. I've tried a variety of passwords/proxy settings which I've read on forums with no joy. My current settings let me into My3 - but the Internet times out in Pocket IE.

Edited by jimmys

Guest Neil5459

No problem here using a 3 PAYG SIM card and the £5 data Add-on, in my HTC X7500

APN is thee.co.uk and no other credentials.

Make sure your phone band setting is set to Auto, not GSM, as 3 insist on using 3G where it is available, otherwise they sustain roaming charges

Guest jimbouk
three.co.uk - with a blank username/password. I've tried a variety of passwords/proxy settings which I've read on forums with no joy. My current settings let me into My3 - but the Internet times out in Pocket IE.

You have ticked "this network connects to the internet" on the proxy tab?

Make sure your phone band setting is set to Auto, not GSM, as 3 insist on using 3G where it is available, otherwise they sustain roaming charges

Thanks for this suggestion. I have checked and this is set to Auto.

You have ticked "this network connects to the internet" on the proxy tab?

Yes, just one tick. I haven't selected "This network uses a proxy server to connect to the Internet".

Stop the press! ;)

When I was checking this I found a setting for Network Selection which was set to "3". I changed this to "Automatic" and it is now picking up 3G 3 - more or less what you said. (There is a different "Auto" setup under "Select your network type" which I had checked initially.) So I am now happily surfing away thanks to Neil5459 and MoDaCo. Your help is very much appreciated.

As an aside, can i enter the following into the logs:

When I type in a URL I get to the page no problem. I can go to My3 and find account information too. But when I select "Internet" in My3 I get the aforementioned message - "This Service is not available on this device. Please use your 3 handset to access the Service." So if anyone else is having the same problem you need to check the Network Selection.

Thanks again.

Guest Neil5459

To be honest, that wasn't exactly what I was suggesting, but the solution was in the right area!

The Select Networks dialogue was your problem, because when there is no specific '3' service, GSM is provided by Orange, as a Roaming Partner. With the setting specifically to '3' this would prevent roaming, and in you case seemingly also full access to '3' itself.

I belive My3 is a 'ringfenced' set of sites designed for normal phones, rather than PDA's with their better screen, so full website access is precluded.

Thanks for the useful tip ;)

To be honest, that wasn't exactly what I was suggesting, but the solution was in the right area!

The Select Networks dialogue was your problem, because when there is no specific '3' service, GSM is provided by Orange, as a Roaming Partner. With the setting specifically to '3' this would prevent roaming, and in you case seemingly also full access to '3' itself.

I belive My3 is a 'ringfenced' set of sites designed for normal phones, rather than PDA's with their better screen, so full website access is precluded.

Thanks for the useful tip ;)

You got me on the right track. I should have twigged when I saw a roaming triange icon in the top bar. I assumed this was the result of my unlocking the device.

I do still get that error if I try to access nearly anything from My3, but if I just avoid My3 and type in the URL it works great - very nippy.

I've even tried linking it to my laptop via bluetooth and the download speed seems similar to my 8Meg broadband! Any websites I've tried work well, even complex flash ones.

Thanks again.