The offical Samsung Blackjack II 'Ask Nick' thread

Guest nickcornaglia

Guest nickcornaglia

Guess what's in the bag...

24-Nov-2007_SANY0034.JPG

If you guessed the pen I stole from the AT&T counter...you'd be correct! But there is also an AT&T Samsung Blackjack II in there as well!!!!

24-Nov-2007_SANY0035.JPG

I could waste the world's bandwidth by uploading an unboxing video...but there isn't much to unbox! (Phone, Battery, AC, Sync Cable, Manuals/CD)

24-Nov-2007_SANY0036.JPG

Feel free to ask us anything about the phone as I'm putting it thru it's paces. Do you like it? Do you want one? Comment away!

A few initial thoughts..

- My hopes aren't high for the battery life...but I've been using it ALOT and need to do a real world test.

- Hey look...Samsung decided to add a charging/battery/message/signal indicator light. Way to go!

- Body is shiney...liked the rubberized body from the original Blackjack better!

- Integrated GPS with no GPS settings to configure ports? Go figure! I'd like to use the GPS with GPS applications other than AT&T's TeleNav, but am having great difficulty. Works with GoogleMaps and WindowsLiveSearch...when it wants to. We'll see if the WM community can do something with this! It's too soon to scratch the whole phone...but it should have worked out of the box!

- Screen is nice...but as I read elsewhere before, is a tiny bit washed out looking. But still nice.

- Keyboard is comfortable and responsive and easy to type on, though I am used to the original Blackjack, so your experience may vary.

- Scrolling D-Pad is a cute novelty...but I havnt really used it yet. But I'm trying. Either way, it's better than the original Blackjack's D-Pad.

- More memory is a great addition! With the slightly faster processor, the phone seems faster in all aspects.

- App Unlocked using the standard Registry Policy editing so I could get rid of and move some AT&T icons in the Start Menu folder.

24-Nov-2007_SANY0037.JPG

I hope someone figures out the issue with the GPS. It may be a deal breaker for me. Definitely a nice upgrade over the original....and at $149 on contract, you cant beat it! In the end, without usable GPS, not as big of an upgrade as you'd think. So if you are outside of your contract..I don't think you'd want to pay more until they fix the GPS. If they do...the addition of that and the upgraded specs make it well worth it!

Which device do you like better, the Q9(global) or the blackjackII? I have a HTCs620 do you think it is worth the upgrade? Is the screen very bothersome due to it being 'washed out'?

Edited by Tanko

Guest nickcornaglia

Obviously...the Blackjack II since that's the one I purchased! ;)

Seriously though...I think it's a matter of preference. It's said that the keyboard on the Moto is the best ever. But the Moto seems so wide to me, even though it's only about 1/4". Still...just feels too wide. Asthetically...I think the BJ is just a nicer looking phone.

But in the end...it's all a matter of taste.

Does it have 'Internet Connection Sharing' (for tethering) ?

Easy unlock for apps with a .cab or is a registry hack necessary?

Overall size comparison to Blackjack? cool.gif Thanks!

I just picked up a BJ II today also. I have had many Pocket PC PDA’s and cell phones over the years and have a good idea on how they work.

One thing that missed on the on the Blackjack compared to the 8525 was the LED. I very happy to see it on the BJ II. The problem I have is in the 162 page manual they do not mention how it works. I never understand why they leave important stuff like that out.

This is what I have observed. When charging it turns red. When it’s on it stays off. When you get a txt msg, email or phone call it blinks purple 5 times and turns off. I wonder if there is an option to make it continue to blink until you click a button on the phone. That is how all the other phones work.

Does anyone have any input on this? Here is a pic of the new device that came in the same bag.

bj-new.jpg

This is my today screen on the old Blackjack that soon will be on the new one.

bj2.jpg

SeanH

Guest cagrino

Nick,

I posted this in the BJ II GPS thread. I didn't see this thread was here. Anyway, do you have any suggestions for my problem below?

I'm trying to set mail so that it uses my storage card. From what I've gathered, I need to make the following registry changes:

1. Go to "HKLM\System\Inbox\Settings"

2. Then add these strings

PropertyPath = \Storage Card\Inbox

AttachPath = \Storage Card\Inbox\Attachments

The problem is, whenever I try to add these strings, I get an error and it won't let me add the strings.

The message simply says "Error" and nothing else. I am using Resco Registry Editor 2007.

Moreover, I can't seem to add any values to the "HKLM\System" area even though I can add values for "HKCU".

Am I missing some kind of Registry Lock on "HKLM"?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Guest nickcornaglia

RWL420...

The BJII comes with a modem driver (seperately installed from the disk) for internet sharing.

I've never used it personally.

To Application Unlock the phone, run Pauls cab and/or the "SDA Unlocker" method (easily found with a search here or on XDA Forums)

CALRINGO...

I normally install Tweaks2K2.net's program and change that from there. It's free for the first 3 uses. I dont know the direct registry hack off-hand (getting to be too many to remember).

TANKO...

The keyboard works great for me. Not much different than the keypad on the original Blackjack. It's slightly better in that the number pad is in a better location and lit better for typing in the dark. But I'm used to the original and didnt have the complaints others have had aout it being crampped. I can say it is slightly slippery. It would be better if it had more of a rubery feel to it.

SEAN...

That IS a busy homescreen isn't it! ;) BUt then again...these landscape screens are getting hard to design for!

Guest cagrino

Nick thanks for the reply.

I did find the answer to make registry entries in HKLM.

You need to modify this key:

HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies

Parameter: 0000101b

Set value to "1"

After that the mail changes worked fine.

I've also been trying to get Internet Connection Sharing working. If you haven't noticed, they have removed the intshUI.exe and the .dll files that go with it. I've downloaded copies of the missing files and enabled internet sharing at this key:

HKLM\System\State\Connectivity\InternetSharing

Set value to "1"

I get a connection established, but the NAT seems to not be working. i.e. I can only establish a local connection. No internet traffic.

Have you looked into this yet?

Edited by cagrino

Cagrino I read your post and tried to tether. I had a BJ 1 before this device. The BJ II used the same modem drivers. I plugged in the BJ II and connected to the net with the same settings. Everything worked perfect.

I was able to tether to the PC and surf the net on the BJ II at the same time with out adding any software.

SeanH

Edited by SeanH

SeanH,

Are you using the internet sharing program or are you using the modem to dial up? I'm trying the former.

Either way, what did you do specifically?

I guess I am not using internet sharing. I thought that’s what it was.

With my 8125 and 8525 with WM5 when I tethered I could not use the phones internet browser nor could I receive emails. When I moved to WM6 on the 8525 and the Blackjack I was able to share the connection when I tether with the phone.

While tethered I could surf the web on the phone and receive emails. What is internet sharing and what does it do different.

SeanH

Which device do you like better, the Q9(global) or the blackjackII?

What do you think about the keypad?

The Q9 is huge compared to the BJ I or the BJ II.

The keyboard on the BJ II has a lot better fell then the BJ I. The scroll wheel is great on the BJII but it seems to get dirty very fast.

SeanH

Guest cagrino
I guess I am not using internet sharing. I thought that’s what it was.

With my 8125 and 8525 with WM5 when I tethered I could not use the phones internet browser nor could I receive emails. When I moved to WM6 on the 8525 and the Blackjack I was able to share the connection when I tether with the phone.

While tethered I could surf the web on the phone and receive emails. What is internet sharing and what does it do different.

SeanH

On the BJ I, there was a program, IntShrUI.exe, that you could run that would allow you to share your internet connection. It lets you use either USB or Bluetooth PAN to establish a link to a computer. The best part about it was that you did not have to install any drivers or configure anything on the computer. ActiveSync took care of that.

Another advantage, if you connected up using USB, it charged your phone while you were tethered so that constant 3G connection doesn't wipe out your phone's battery.

If this won't work on the BJ II, I'll have to figure out how to setup the modem method.

How are you tethering?

Edited by cagrino

I upgraded my first Blackjack I to WM6 the first day I had it. I have never ran WM5 on it. That’s why I probably have not worked with internet sharing.

You are correct when the BJ I was used to tether over USB it did not charge the phone. With the BJ II it does charge the phone when the port is configured as a modem.

Bluetooth (720Kb) is to slow for HSDPA (1.5Mb) so USB is the only option. I do not use ActiveSync, instead I use MS Direct Push email. I wish it would sync the tasks with WM Smartphone edition. It only syncs tasks with WM PocketPC edition.

How are you tethering?

On the phone I have USB set to Modem. When you plug in the USB cable it asks for a driver. You install the driver off the CD. It’s the same driver for the BJ I and BJ II. You go to DUN in Win XP and setup a new connection using that com port the driver assigns the device. You enter a phone # to dial, a user name and login. It connects in 2 seconds. After its configured you never need to enter the data again.

Here is a video

SeanH

On the BJ I, there was a program, IntShrUI.exe, that you could run that would allow you to share your internet connection. It lets you use either USB or Bluetooth PAN to establish a link to a computer. The best part about it was that you did not have to install any drivers or configure anything on the computer. ActiveSync took care of that.

Another advantage, if you connected up using USB, it charged your phone while you were tethered so that constant 3G connection doesn't wipe out your phone's battery.

If this won't work on the BJ II, I'll have to figure out how to setup the modem method.

How are you tethering?

Does IntShrUI .exe work?

This was a seamless way to tether in WM5. Run the program, an interface popped up and connect. Badda Bing you're connected using 3g. Tether speed nearly that of DSL.

That is a huge feature when you need to connect and do not have WiFi which is much slower anyway.

IntShrUi.exe is really important for me. Avoids the PC card they are trying to sell.

Trying to see if this works on the new BJII.

The major advantage to the Internet Sharing UI on WM5 with the BJ1 as far as I could tell was the ability to tether via Bluetooth for Internet access through your phone. I know running Bluetooth and 3G simultaneously on the phone would sap the battery in a hurry, but it was nice to know that I wouldn't need to bring a cable along in a pinch.

If someone can get some form of ICS running under WM6 with the BJ2, I'd be completely satisfied with the phone.

Guest nickcornaglia

My love for the Blackjack2 had quickly gone away. I returned the phone due to the GPS problems even with the patch (it IS 'broken' and reported that some phones work and others dont).

But I returned it and bought the Motorola Q9h Global and couldnt be happier with it. Makes the BJII seem like a plastic toy in comparison. The box is filled with other goodies and the phone with cooler software. If you're up in the air about the two....go for the Q.

It's faster!

The GPS works (with Pauls patch)!

It's engineering and materials are top notch!

The keyboard RULES! (didnt know until I really used it...it ROCKS!)

Internet is waaaay faster (is Opera to thank for that or just the phone?)

It very well may be the best Smartphone I have ever owned! Now if they just made a candybar version!

The major advantage to the Internet Sharing UI on WM5 with the BJ1 as far as I could tell was the ability to tether via Bluetooth for Internet access through your phone.

Bluetooth is 720Kb Max and HSDP on this phone is 1.7Mb Max. With Bluetooth you will never get the speed. The BJII works perfect over USB as a modem to a PC. I have achieved average download speeds of 1.5Mb/s with the BJ II tethered over USB.

SeanH

- It's faster!

- The GPS works (with Pauls patch)!

- It's engineering and materials are top notch!

- The keyboard RULES! (didnt know until I really used it...it ROCKS!)

- Internet is waaaay faster (is Opera to thank for that or just the phone?)

- The BJ II is a lot faster then the BJ I. Will have to try the Q

- The GPS I bet is flaky on both devices. I blame Microsoft. PocketPC edition has a great util in settings to manage the GPS. Smartphone edition is a mess.

- I totally agree. The BJ II made of really cheap plastic like a cheap toy. And I hate the shinny surface. The device seems huge compared to the BJ I. I do not know why it feels bigger, the dimensions are close. I really like the matt finish of the BJ I.

- The keyboard is way better on the BJ II compared to the BJ I. The Q keyboard does look better. The scroll wheel on the BJ II works great.

- I would expect internet access on the Q compared to the BJ II running PIE or Opera would be the same.

SeanH

Edited by SeanH

Guest SAV2880
I've also been trying to get Internet Connection Sharing working. If you haven't noticed, they have removed the intshUI.exe and the .dll files that go with it. I've downloaded copies of the missing files and enabled internet sharing at this key:

HKLM\System\State\Connectivity\InternetSharing

Set value to "1"

I get a connection established, but the NAT seems to not be working. i.e. I can only establish a local connection. No internet traffic.

Have you looked into this yet?

Which DLL files do I need to move to allow this to work? Would you be able to post a quick list?

Bluetooth is 720Kb Max and HSDP on this phone is 1.7Mb Max. With Bluetooth you will never get the speed. The BJII works perfect over USB as a modem to a PC. I have achieved average download speeds of 1.5Mb/s with the BJ II tethered over USB.

SeanH

Oh I don't doubt it, and I'm not saying that the Bluetooth PAN connection is superior. I'm just saying it's nice to have the availability of it so that I don't need to always have a USB cable with me - something that wouldn't be a problem in and of itself if Samsung didn't use a proprietary connector pinout to the phone. I'm willing to take half of the data speed if it means I don't always have to remember a cable.

Nick,

I posted this in the BJ II GPS thread. I didn't see this thread was here. Anyway, do you have any suggestions for my problem below?

I'm trying to set mail so that it uses my storage card. From what I've gathered, I need to make the following registry changes:

1. Go to "HKLM\System\Inbox\Settings"

2. Then add these strings

PropertyPath = \Storage Card\Inbox

AttachPath = \Storage Card\Inbox\Attachments

The problem is, whenever I try to add these strings, I get an error and it won't let me add the strings.

The message simply says "Error" and nothing else. I am using Resco Registry Editor 2007.

Moreover, I can't seem to add any values to the "HKLM\System" area even though I can add values for "HKCU".

Am I missing some kind of Registry Lock on "HKLM"?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

In general, for those of us not qualified to Hack the Registry, if one of you talented people out there were to write a utility that accomplished this Hack, for both BJ's, you would be worshipped as Gods :(

I cannot fathom why phone companies will make a phone that runs on a Windows OS, the most memory-hungry beasts ever unleashed upon the Earth, and then send them forth to gather data from the Ether, crippled by the tiny amound of memory available onboard when 99% of SPhone users are going to slap in GIGABYTES of storage! Think about it! The more you use the phone, and the more you use the rather expensive data bandwith from the Operators (and the more $ they make off you), the more your phone's performance degrades! What's wrong with this picture!

Come on people! Make this an option!!!!

Thanks to you Gods in advance - MadSci

"We're Not Worthy, we're not worthy"