Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest osmildmay

Thanks worked a treat!!!

Set the COM port to COM 4 and baud rate to 57000 and it worked fine (do not know if I had to set the COM port and baud rate though)

Guest z4ckm0rris

I went through the install process and my phone (BJII) is now having major issues. I can't connect to the internet, Active Sync now recognizes my phone as "Guest," the File Explorer is gone from my Start Menu (had to dig through to make a new shortcut, which is now improperly titled), and the new program does not show up in Add/Remove for me to uninstall it. I can't say anything about the GPS; my only goal was the app unlock aspect.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated....I don't wanna have to do a hard reset over this!

Edit- Ok, I reinstalled and now it does show up in my add/remove programs, but I still don't understand what happened to my File Explorer or why I couldn't access the internet or make calls for a while. Everything seems to be working now (aside from the File Explorer thing) but I'm a little worried about those functions going in and out...

Edited by z4ckm0rris

Guest TheBattman
initializing the GPS with the GPSTest program (built in) before you start up your Google Maps or other apps.

Good luck.

I have searched everywhere I can think of to find the mysterious application "GPSTest" on my BJII. I just cannot find it.

Someone PLEASE give me a clue!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Yosatan

I bought my bjii three days ago, installed the modaco hack,and after installing once again google maps and live search is just wokring great with them. Thank you very much for that Paul. I still want to try a software with voice commands (its hard to drive and try to follow the route). Any suggestion will be apreciated.

By the way its my first pda phone and i'm not good with computers either.

Guest wvufan66

I had no problems with my blackjack 2. I installed google map and then the modaco gps activator and BAMMM! it came right up the first time I used it. Thanks a lot folks.

Guest steelydan99

Hello all; just joined but have been trolling the forums for about a week (just got myself a BJ2).

First off, let me just thank the creator of this wonderful program. You turned my 100 dollar phone into a device that is worth far more than the price, and the GPS is truly a lifesaver. Thank you.

As for those who are having problems. I don't know if this is the end-all problem, but:

I installed the GPS activator, got myself the newest version of Garmin, and tried to set up the GPS. To my disappointment, the only options were bluetooth, com1, com2, com3, and com9 (or something to that effect). There was no com4 option. Afterwards, I decided to UNINSTALL the GPS ACTIVATOR. Turned off the phone, turned it back on. REINSTALLED the GPS ACTIVATOR. Turned it off, and turned it back on. When I started up Garmin after all of this, it automatically chose COM4, an option that was not available prior to my uninstall/reinstall process. So take it for what it is. It may solve your problems, if you are having trouble locating the COM4 option. If not, Carry on!

Guest Juicy_Jaffa
You shouldn't need to install anything on the i780 (its a *very* different device!).

Just fire up google maps or similar and select the gps location from the menu and it should work fine :D

GPS on my i780 didn't work with any regular GPS application (GoogleMaps, NoniGPS, pocket streets). Downloaded and installedt the CAB from here and voila! COM4 all is functioning, thanks lads!

Andy.

Guest fibrolan

HI,

I am new to this forum and consider myself somewhat of a techie. I had a ipaq 6955 before and decided to switch to the blackjack II. On my ipaq I had Iguidance which worked like a charm. I would like to be able to use my gps with third party software. I called samsung and got a tech support person who gave me a download for google for mobile to initiate the gps and with google I get the proper location.

My question is this I ram you patch but I get an error stating I do not have sufficient system permissions. I am running the Samsung I616 in canada. will the patch work for this phone ?

As well can I use software like Tomtom or copilot on this phone without running your software or do I need to run your software patch to force the gps to a com port ?

If the patch does not work can I hack the registry to make it work and if so can you give me the instructions pls ?

Fibrolan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mpolk

I am having a little trouble seeing the cab files when I put them in the temp file. I can see them on the computer but not on my Blackjack II in the temp directory (or any other directory).

Guest mrboogie3k3

ok guys after days of trying to follow everyones advice on activing my gps i finally took my own route ...although this may not work for everyone here is wat i did.....

hard reset my phone

installed modaco. smartphoneGPSActivator.COM4

installed Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings

finally installed LiveSearchWM6 or google maps

and the settings for the GPSID are

program port : COM4

hardware port: none

Baud Rate: 9600

this worked perfectfully and i now can use gps within a couple of seconds without using the gpstester so i hope this also works for everyone else good luck!!

Guest masterscreenprinter_BJ~II

Whats up you guys :( !!??!! I am new to all this....I have had an Iphone that I completly unbricked and unlocked to its fullest but I tell you I love my blackjack II so much better!! And I have done nothing to it. Now I have found this blog that should help it even more!! I hope! I have one problem though I have no idea on how to get this "MoDaCo GPS Hack & Application Unlocker" insatlled on my phone. What do I do??!?!?!? Is there any way that I can do it from my phone or directly to my phone or do I have to use my computer???? What would be the easiest way? Is it hard?? Any advice or help would be well appreciated!!!!!!

Thanks so much____Daniel~master screen printer!! :D

Guest mpolk

When I run the cab file, I get a message "The program you have installed may not display properly because it was designed for a previous version of Windows Mobile software".

As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' :D

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

Enjoy people, and spread the word to fellow BJII owners!

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

On device Install (registered members): MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

Guest masterscreenprinter_BJ~II

:D Never mind to my previous question!!!!! :( I figured it out!!! It works just fine & is so simple to do!!!!!!!! AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Paul!!!!!!!!!!

Guest slapshot10

Ok, sorry if I sound dumb but I've tried a few things and do not understand how to get this on my phone. Can someone please tell me what method they used and exactly where they put it on thier phone.

Guest BJ-II
Ok, sorry if I sound dumb but I've tried a few things and do not understand how to get this on my phone. Can someone please tell me what method they used and exactly where they put it on thier phone.

I placed the cab file in my ActiveSync 'Notes' folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\My Documents\SGH-i617 My Documents\Notes). Then I did a sync to get the file transferred to my BJ II. On the BJ II I clicked Start|Applications|File Explorer|Notes. I ActiveSync worked you should see the file in the Notes folder. Simply select the cab file by clicking the center button on you BJ II. It should now ask you if you want to install the files. Click Ok/Yes. Once you get the confirmation go back to your home screen and then turn you BJ II off and then back on.

This worked for me.

Guest mpolk

The GPS works great on my Blakjack II. I installed it on my wife's new BJ II and it will never aquire a satelite. It tries to initialize but errors out with no GPS Receiver found.

I installed this on my Blackjack II last night, already had Google Maps installed, went outside locked on to satellites and it worked great. Love my Blackjack II and this site for hooking me up.

Guest Bohica

FWIW Got my BJII last week and went for the TeleNav trial in the store. Have used TN extensively over last several days.

Today downloaded GMaps CAB over GPRS and installed. GMaps works fine but I will keep tabs on it during our road trip.

Did not specify COM port or baud rate.

Have not installed the GPS activator but have enable ICS per the HoFo steps.

Guest elementalist2

I just received a refurbished blackjack 2 from cingular today and tried to use this GPS unlocker. It does not seem to work. I installed it, restarted, installed Google Maps and selected COM4, 19200 (I also tried 0 and 9600).

When I did install the unlocker I got a message which said "designed for a previous version of windows mobile" as someone else described above.

Also, I have an AT&T Tilt and I could not get Google Maps to work on that either, but that is supposed to be unlocked already.

Guest elementalist2

I downloaded the GPS Test program and installed it on both the Blackjack 2 and Tilt. They both worked, and after I used them, other software began to work as well!

Guest craiggiarc
I downloaded the GPS Test program and installed it on both the Blackjack 2 and Tilt. They both worked, and after I used them, other software began to work as well!

What is the 'GPS Test' program and can I use it on my Alltel Moto Q9c that also has it's GPS locked down?

Craig

Guest elementalist2
What is the 'GPS Test' program and can I use it on my Alltel Moto Q9c that also has it's GPS locked down?

Craig

I got it here :

http://gps.SPAM.com/PocketPC/GPS-Test

I believe you will not be able to use it until you somehow unlock the GPS. It's a small install, so you might as well try it. You should search the web a bit to see if someone has made something to unlock the GPS on your particular phone. Good luck.

Edited by elementalist2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.