Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Jimmah69

my bj2 cannot read this file. a warning keeps on popping up saying this program is for a previous version of windows and will not display properly. after installing i cannot see the program. i found the file in explorer but it doesnt do anything. is there an updated version?

Guest leite007
As you probably know from this thread our very own 'encece' (Nick) has been out splashing his hard earned on a shiny new AT&T Blackjack II. It's a great looking device with a few decent spec bumps over the original Blackjack, specifically the inclusion of a SiRF III GPS chip.

Upon starting to use his device however, Nick came across the problem that every Blackjack II owner is facing... the GPS implementation on the device is, er, interesting.

As some of you may know, when Microsoft designed the GPS Intermediary Driver for Windows Mobile 6, they created a user interface to configure it for Pocket PC, but not Smartphone. The GPSID is a driver that sits between the GPS hardware and the application that is using it, providing access to the GPS hardware and doing clever things such as allowing multiple applications to use the connection. All good, but there is a problem with the implementation on the Blackjack (and in fact the Moto Q9H I understand, a device I believe this patch will help with too). The problem is that although the GPSID is configured and applications such as the built in Telenav and Windows Live Search can use the system fine, there is no COM port exposed to allow the vast majority of applications that use this connection method to use the GPS. DOH! And with no UI to configure it, you quickly hit a brick wall.

Nick was obviously quite annoyed at this (what with the GPS being the most significant upgrade to the old device, and the one he particularly wanted), so I set to work on solving the problem, and i'm proud to present my 'MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator' :D

Available as either a 'over the air install' or a PC based install or an on-device CAB install (choose one or the other to suit), the activator provides the all important missing COM port for GPS access. After installing (and rebooting), you'll find you have a new COM4 port, and you can use any GPS application you like to your hearts content. Nick has tested it on his Blackjack II and it works a treat, i'm keen for someone to give it a go on their Q9H.

I'm at a loss as to why the feature wasn't in there in the first place (I'm guessing to try and tie people into Telenav?), but i'm real glad i've been able to fix the problem in this way.

Enjoy people, and spread the word to fellow BJII owners!

P

PS As a little bonus, this package also application unlocks your device, letting you do things like reorder the Start Menu how you like, etc!

PPS I've also just created a Blackjack II device discussion area, online now at http://i617.MoDaCo.com!

Over the Air Install: Enter 'http://modaco.com/gpsactivatorbj2' in your device browser!

On device Install (registered members): MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (registered members): Setup.MoDaCo.SmartphoneGPSActivator.COM4.EXE

On device Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/MoDaCo.Smartphon...ivator.COM4.CAB

On PC Install (mirror): http://Content.MoDaCo.net/Setup.MoDaCo.Sma...ivator.COM4.EXE

Can you give exact instructions in how to install this file to work on the BJ2?

Guest Tottissimo

Dear Paul,

I just got a new BlackJack II, and I read the grat work you have don about the Activation of the GPS on Samsung BlackJackII. Can you please help me with how can I install the program on my device???? and also if I can use european maps on it?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
How do I istall the cab. file onto my BJ2.

Thanks

hey, im not sure if youre still having a problem with installing this onto your BJ2, but i had trouble with it too at first.

my problem was, when i was downloading the CAB file, i'd immediately unzip it, which is the wrong thing to do. what you have to do is download the cab file, DO NOT unzip it, and transfer that zip file onto your phone, and then install it from your phone. the BJ2 will unpack it

on a side note, i noticed my phone runs alot quicker after installing the file :D

thanks!! :thumbsup:

Guest Sklegend

Hi Paul, thanks for your effort, I have Moto Q9h and I installed Garmin Mobile XT with the maps, but my internal GPS was not connecting, than I installed your "GPS activator Com4" and my navigation start working perfect.

BUT

I also have data plan for my emails on the phone, and as soon as I install your GPS Activator my phone stops syncing (and I am not able to use internet on my device) than I tried uninstalling the GPS activator and internet starts working and my email account syncing again, can you help me fixing this issue, I want internal GPS and internet working, thanks Alot in advance

Guest craiggiarc

Hi Paul, thanks for your effort, I have Moto Q9c, should it work on this too do you think?

I've gone ahead and installed it and when I run Google Maps it's say 'Acquiring Satalite (0)...' and nothing else. It's further than it's got before I think.

Do I have to do anything else after installing it?

Craig

Guest Sklegend
my bj2 cannot read this file. a warning keeps on popping up saying this program is for a previous version of windows and will not display properly. after installing i cannot see the program. i found the file in explorer but it doesnt do anything. is there an updated version?

Hi Jimmah69,

I have Q9h and I install this on my Q9h and it gave me the same messege, but it works because I am using Garmin Mobile XT with 2009 maps, and after installing this patch it starts connecting GPS satelites, you can confirm that the patch is installed or not by going in add remove program and if the patch is installed on your device than you will see the file there, so try removing it and than installing it again, it might help thanks

I installed the app, but can't get GPS to work on either Google Maps or WLS.

Google Maps says my device doesn't seem to be equipped with a GPS device, and WLS says, "Sorry, we still could not get your GPS position."

I've tried manually configuring it (COM4), letting Windows set it, etc.

Any advice?

For BJ2 with MoDaCo hack installed:

I think I found the solution. I went to Start>Applications>Get TeleNav. After you download TeleNavi, it's going to create a folder that say AT&T GPS in the Start Menu. Once you open the folder, start AT&T Navigator. Then type in your number, first and last name. Then they are going to text you a pin number. Once your at the main menu, just hit the End Call Key.

For Google Maps:

Now, on my Google Maps, I went to the GPS setting. Then I selected Set Manually, on the first empty box, select COM4:. The second box, leave it empty. Then test out your location. My GPS is running now after I downloaded the Get TeleNavi.

For Windows Live:

On WL, I went to settings, then on the second box, select GPS Intermediate Driver. Then test out the location.

Both work great now on my BJ2. Hope this little guidance helped out.

For BJ2 with MoDaCo hack installed:

I think I found the solution. I went to Start>Applications>Get TeleNav. After you download TeleNavi, it's going to create a folder that say AT&T GPS in the Start Menu. Once you open the folder, start AT&T Navigator. Then type in your number, first and last name. Then they are going to text you a pin number. Once your at the main menu, just hit the End Call Key.

Doesn't the download of TeleNav activate a montly usage fee? Isn't that the point of the hack, to avoid the fee?

Doesn't the download of TeleNav activate a montly usage fee? Isn't that the point of the hack, to avoid the fee?

That's for the upgrade. You just want the free one. When you have the AT&T Navigation running, at the bottom of the screen, it'll say upgrade to AT&T Navigation. Don't use that. You'll get charge $9.99 a month. If you look at the top left screen, it'll say AT&T Maps. That's all you need. Only the Maps will let you use the Google and Windows Live GPS.

Guest mcwolfcn
I have downloaded the cab file to my samsung jack and when I run it, it says that the program does not have sufficent permissions to run the program.

I reset my device anyway but I don't see COM4 anywhere and none of my gps apps find the gps.

I have same problem. Please help.... ;)

Guest K-mart Shopper

l4zy, your solution worked great, thanks!

WM 6.1 here, installed TeleNav, then MoDaCo hack, then Google Earth was able to automatically initialize GPS and acquire my location. I might mention I wasn't given any PIN number, as you were - it just went to the main TeleNav screen.

I'm happy to say TeleNav can be safely removed from your BJII afterwards, and GPS still functions fine. I'm thinking the program enables the GPS for use - strange.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my GPS running in my BlackJack II (samsung i617) with Garmin Mobile XT 4.0, I followed all the instructions which I found here on MODACO!

and after I updated to v.4.2 it can not find the GPS receiver anymore.

It keeps scanning and scanning and can not find GPS device.

I tried to switch ports etc. I soft restart the phone every time I changed the setting, and nothing.

I use the GPS in BJ2 primarily so I need to set it back as ASAP.

Any suggestions?

Is the HARD Restart and reinstall Garmin will fix it?

I just do not feel like setting up everything from the begining.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by jaxzone

hi...

i installed it and after i install it tells e dat it might not work because it was dsigned for a older software or version or sumthning like dat.what do i do?

Don't worry about it, it said the same thing on my phone. Just make sure its installed correct.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.