Samsung Blackjack II GPS... ACTIVATED!

Guest PaulOBrien

Just wanted to say thanks for the time you guys put in. I finally got my GPS working after reading my way through and im excited to get started!

Edited by CVL

Guest nickcornaglia

For those who asked...GPS is free for the world to use...IF you have a GPS program with pre-installed maps.

When using GoogleMaps and WindowsLiveSearch...data IS USED to download the maps as they are not on the phone but downloaded in visible sections as needed. So you DO NEED a data plan to run these apps.

Guest ktizzle

well I've added the GPS Activator via url on my device and via my PC by uploading the CAD file(yes i restarted my phone after i installed it) and can't seem to get CoPilot Live 7 to work with the BJ's GPS. I'm able to select a com4 port for connecting to Built-in GPS within my software but it still fails when attempting to connect to Built-in GPS. the software also has an auto com search and it still can't connect to the built-in GPS. my GMAP works just fine with the standard setting but doesn't work when i manually try to set it.

If anybody has CoPilot Live 7 and gets it to work PLEASE let me know. CoPilot Live is really nice software and works great with my external GPS adapter but one of the reasons i bought the phone is so i wouldn't have to use the external GPS adapter.

Thanks.

Guest kmiles27
Tried that. Kept saying "Initializing GPS...." for about a minute. Then "Ypur GPS receiver does not appear to be responding....."

****!!!!

Downloaded Google maps. Shows San Francisco, but I live in St. Louis. Says my location currently unavailable. Anyone else get this?

Oh wait? So each time you pan around the screen in google maps its actually downloading information through the data connection which will show up on the bill? Becuase one time it actually stopped me and said you need a data plan for this please contact your service provider blah blah blah...but that was only the one time and every other time its worked. I assumed that when you pan around from your location that it was downloading the images via GPS satelite. Sorry for bringing up the same stuff i guess im just not clear on whats actually free and what needs to be paid for...

Guest Paul (MVP)

Er, all maps are downloaded over your data connection.

cagrino: The BJII has a GPS, and it even says so on the box. The person at AT&T who told you otherwise is an idiot :(

P

Guest ktizzle
Oh wait? So each time you pan around the screen in google maps its actually downloading information through the data connection which will show up on the bill? Becuase one time it actually stopped me and said you need a data plan for this please contact your service provider blah blah blah...but that was only the one time and every other time its worked. I assumed that when you pan around from your location that it was downloading the images via GPS satelite. Sorry for bringing up the same stuff i guess im just not clear on whats actually free and what needs to be paid for...

you wouldn't have even been able to get to the google.com/gmm page on your phone browser without a data plan, let alone download google makes, unless you downloaded on your PC and uploaded it to your phone. the initial message just lets you know that if you use this software you need a data plan, if you have a data plan the maps would be pulled up via your data plan. so yes everytime your scroll around the map and it says "loading XXkb" in the upper right corner. it's hitting your data plan for that amount of data. if you have a limited data plan (i.e. 15mb) once those are up you will be charged extra. my suggestion is if you plan on using your phone to browse the web or use google maps that you get the unlimited data plan (e.g. surf and download as much as you want with no extra charges). the GPS on your phone when using google maps has no extra charge. GPS on your phone(if you can get it to connect) is free as long as you're not using the BS Telenav that ATT as teamed up with to rip you off. yes it's nice of them to offer you Nav software but the fact that they didn't create a UI to set configure your GPS is extremely annoying. it's the same as the UK version of the BJI having Wifi and the US(ATT) version not. ATT wants us to use our data plans in hopes that we don't have the unlimited data plan so that we can run over our data plan and they can charge us extra.

*Sorry venting*

anyways i hope this helps you out.

Guest ktizzle
Er, all maps are downloaded over your data connection.

cagrino: The BJII has a GPS, and it even says so on the box. The person at AT&T who told you otherwise is an idiot :(

P

Paul...

being that you're the man that runs this site i understand you're a busy guy but if you run across anybody running CoPilot Live 7 on there phone using your GPS Activator patch can your forward a brotha the info? it would be much appreciated.

I've uploaded the CAB file and installed it on my phone, rebooted the phone and tried connecting my software with the built-in GPS and no love. i have two options in CoP7 "auto" which goes through the gamut of com ports and "manual" which i can choose the com. i've tried both and both give me a failed connect attempt.

i've also tried running Gmap and connecting GSP and then trying to connect my CoP7 to see if it's for some reason not connecting because it's timing out while trying to find satellites but still no love.

so if you have any suggestions for me to try i'd be more than happy to try them.

thanks. i appreciate anything you have for me.

hey i tryed to download it on my bj2 using the ota link and it didnt work so i tried installing it with it hooked up to the computer it brought up the install a program thing but didnt have that file for the gps activator

Same here.

The OTA link shows up as gobbly goop and the exe goes to the installed programs screen and then just stops. I installed the cab(shows up in remove programs list) but still not able to get WLS or gmaps working at all.

Any suggestions?

My BJ2 is an unlocked version. Could this have anything to do with my troubles? Any other advice? This is a major disappointment.

I get "getting GPS position" in WLS and "gps not responding" in gmaps.

Guest Rob Halligan
My Telenav and Google Maps worked with the internal GPS before the patch. Telenav, Google, and Live Maps, work after the patch. Thanks. I'll probably cancel Telenav before the trial period is up.

I was pretty miffed that it looks like just trying the MobiTV app will require me to cancel that subscription in 3 days or end up paying $10 a month. MobiTV is pretty cool, but it could get addicting.

Q - I don't see how to change the Start Menu icon positions after the patch install. Is that all that the patch unlocked or does the patch unlock the phone from the ATT network all together? And where do I access the settings to change the Start Menu?

Q - ATT required me to upgrade to a $40 a month data plan when I got this BlackJack II. Does switching back to the $20 per month data plan result in charges for using over 15mb a month as my generally well-informed salesman claimed? Is it possible to change back on the ATT website?

Turns out testing MobiTV doesn't set your account to start charging for the service. On the 3rd day of use, it shut off the service and asked me to start paying the $10 a month.

...still haven't figured out how to move the Start Menu icons around or my data plan issue. Seems like I should get the rebate before doing any change in plan.

Pocket IE Favorites in folders (Favorites/Shopping/Phones/Software) still won't show up in Pocket IE. I Was hoping that was a WM5 issue. I’d like to get GPS data to show up in the photo EXIF data so I can map photos.

Great phone. 4smartphone.com's hosted Exchange Server makes the whole experience so much better.

Not sure it could triangulate as accurately as it seems to be if it was just using towers. And if that were true I don't know why GPSTest would report that it has signals from "X" number of satellites.

But it should be easy to test, someone who has the GPS working flawlessly could just turn off their phone's radio equipment and fire up a GPS application to see if it still pulls without being connected to anything.

I'm personally of the mind that it actually has a GPS hardware receiver in it, I just think that perhaps the driver DLL and the implementation are jacked.

I tried this by going into wireless manager (pressing power button once) and turned off the tab labeled "phone." Than ran GPS test again after it had just worked and it wouldnt. I turned the tab labeled "phone" back on again and the GPS started to work again. So i wonder if this really is true because to be honest im not very impressed with the GPS capability...

Guest kluzyfool
I found it interesting that it worked with out the hack so I removed the hack and mine worked also.

I could never get it to work with com4: Google Maps times out trying to initialize the GPS. I wonder if this is why Pocket Streets will not find the GPS.

One thing different on my BJ II is I ran SN App Unlock before I installed any apps. With the BJ 1 you had to do this to install some apps and modify the registry. I wonder if there is a conflict with this app that does an app unlock, and SN App Unlock.

SeanH

Where can I find this SN App Unlock? I'm having some trouble installing applications.

I tried this by going into wireless manager (pressing power button once) and turned off the tab labeled "phone." Than ran GPS test again after it had just worked and it wouldnt. I turned the tab labeled "phone" back on again and the GPS started to work again. So i wonder if this really is true because to be honest im not very impressed with the GPS capability...

That may have to do with the fact that it needs the network to get the maps. Would need gps software that has maps preloaded or just shows you longitude and latitude to verify

Guest rbeynon

I've gotten the Q9H to work with CoPilot 7 using the patch. But as with many others using the Q, I had to change the COM port to 5. The only problem I have now is wicked battery drain. Any way we can put an interface into this "patch" where we can turn it on and off as needed?

For the record, I've gotten Google Maps and Live to both work with and without the patch, but had to use the patch to get CoPilot to work. Never used or even started TeleNav.

well I've added the GPS Activator via url on my device and via my PC by uploading the CAD file(yes i restarted my phone after i installed it) and can't seem to get CoPilot Live 7 to work with the BJ's GPS. I'm able to select a com4 port for connecting to Built-in GPS within my software but it still fails when attempting to connect to Built-in GPS. the software also has an auto com search and it still can't connect to the built-in GPS. my GMAP works just fine with the standard setting but doesn't work when i manually try to set it.

If anybody has CoPilot Live 7 and gets it to work PLEASE let me know. CoPilot Live is really nice software and works great with my external GPS adapter but one of the reasons i bought the phone is so i wouldn't have to use the external GPS adapter.

Thanks.

That may have to do with the fact that it needs the network to get the maps. Would need gps software that has maps preloaded or just shows you longitude and latitude to verify

Well, he said he used GPSTest, which doesn't have maps. I would suggest that if you're going to use GPSTest with the radio equipment off, change the type to stand-alone. If you leave it in assisted mode and it can't get anything from the towers, then I wouldn't expect it to work.

WM for Smartphones needs a more mature GPS configuration interface, from Microsoft.

I had been having troubles getting my GPS working on the BJ2 as well (without or without Paul's piece of code to map it to a COM port), and here's what I just did that worked. Hopefully it's worth something to someone else -

I ran GPSTest in my Windows directory, went to the options and switched it to "Stand-Alone" "Navigator" (which it already was)" and "Cold" start. I'm not brilliant in the ways of GPS but after asking around some friends told me that warm starting a GPS receiver tells it to use some previously acquired data if it's not 'stale' - I figured since I didn't have any previously acquired data that I knew of, I'd switch it to cold start to tell it no previous data exists.

Then I restarted my phone with these changed settings and went back to the GPSTest app to verify it was still set to those settings (which it was). I then started the acquisition and set the phone on my windowsill for about 1 minute or 2. When I came back to it, it had acquired signal/data from 8 satellites and was jamming away. I then switched the option to 'Warm' start since I assume I now have some previous data. I then exited GPSTest and went to WLS, with it configured for COM4 (since I had Paul's app installed in this case) and it acquired my position just fine, which I verified on the WLS map.

Up until now it hasn't worked even once, so this gives me some hope.

I can't find any of these cold or warm start options in gpstest. All I can select is the com port and the baud rate. Where did you see the other options?

Anyone else have any more luck with this on the BJ2? I've been trying everything I can all weekend with NO luck. I even signed up for the Telenav free trial and still get no gps signal (yes, outside, no trees etc.) I'm afraid I'm going to have to return this phone if there's no solution. Not worth the upgrade without the gps. I've tried GPS Test, WLS, Gmaps and Telenav and have not once gotton a signal. :(

Guest Catapult
I can't find any of these cold or warm start options in gpstest. All I can select is the com port and the baud rate. Where did you see the other options?

Anyone else have any more luck with this on the BJ2? I've been trying everything I can all weekend with NO luck. I even signed up for the Telenav free trial and still get no gps signal (yes, outside, no trees etc.) I'm afraid I'm going to have to return this phone if there's no solution. Not worth the upgrade without the gps. I've tried GPS Test, WLS, Gmaps and Telenav and have not once gotton a signal. :(

I have posted extensively about this on howardforums.com, but here it is again:

GPStest is a toy, it is not helpful in getting the GPS to run, merely to check signal strength. You need the modaco hack to get it to run. Trust me, I tried the heck out of this while outdoors and it was a complete waste of time.

The modaco hack is useless except for GPStest use (let the flames begin!). I tested it extensively and it very occasionally works with google maps, it never, ever worked in windows live maps (at least for me). I didn't bother uninstalling it, but I just don't use it at all.

The best way to get the GPS working is to use google maps, go outside (or your car) and fire it up. The first attempt (from either a warm or cold boot) will NEVER work and it will appear to just sit there searching. After 3-4 minutes, turn off the GPS function and turn it on again. 9 times out of 10 you will lock within 1 minute (closer to 30 seconds)..but you MUST BE OUTSIDE!!!! It will not start inside unless you are super lucky. After you have it running it will work very well indoors (at least at my house or office..5 to six sats). On some occasions I have got the initial acquisition to work indoors, but I had to set my phone next to the window for it to happen.

Windows live maps also works for GPS initialization, but for some reason it takes 3-5 attempts (turn it on, timeout, repeat) and hence is slower than google maps to get up and running. I only use the intermediate driver, the modaco com4 hack did absolutely nothing...ever (and yes I tried it about 20 times, both cold and warm booting). I do like the functionality of WLM more than google though. The ability to center on GPS and then speak a location and get directions is outstandingly well executed..it works even with car noise in the background...truly staggering for such a small program.

Finally, when running the GPS is either GM or WLM, if your data connection drops, the program stops working. Yes, the BJ has a real GPS chip in it, but GM and WLM require a running data connection for the whole shebang to work. The GPS in the BJ2 is in hardware, it is NOT a "software" GPS.

For anyone comtemplating getting a different phone I suggest exchange it first. When I exchanged my phone it worked right away with Telenav and WLS. I downloaded GM and had no luck but only tried it in my house. Haven't tried it outside yet. The first two work fine inside my house. Makes me wonder if it is just a compatibility thing with GM.

I do like the voice in Telenav but don't think it is worth $9.99 a month. If it was 1 or 2.. maybe.

Im about to send mine back and go for the 8525. Not too impressed with the phone and the keyboard is a pain in the ass to type with. Had the 8125 before getting the BJII but now im gonna just get the upgrade of the old phone i had and get a wm6 rom...

Guest Rushou25

Hello,

Thank you very much for this software :(

But I have some problems :/

I've tried with TomTom Navigator 6 and after the installation of the hack, it's possible to choose COM4.

But when I choose COM4, TomTom don't detect the GPS :D (I've tried with all baud choices and it's the same problem :/)

Has anybody already succeeded in using TomTom with the hack ?

And same question, with Route 66 Mobile 7 WMS ?

Thanks in advance for answers :D

PS: Sorry for my bad english :/ If it's necessary, I can try to explain my problem with others words. Or in French :D

Edited by Rushou25

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.