HTC S730 Memory Problems

Guest hbeader

I have finally heard back from HTC on this as of yesterday, below is there response, verbatim. I am hopeful that we get a fix soon, but am still not sure they completely get it.

"Thank you for contacting HTC Europe regarding a query about the memory error.

This is now a known issue on which we are working to find a solution.

At the moment I could suggest you to perform a hard reset and keep aware of what could be causing the problem."

Has anyone else heard of anything of found a way to really fix the problem, not just run close apps all the time?

I am not sure they get it either...I just have to close programmes....see below response from HTC.

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with your device, I would recommend that you back up your device using Active Sync or Windows Mobile Device Centre.? Once you have backed up your Hard Reset the handset, this will restore the phone to factory defaults and reinstall the Rom.

To do a Hard Reset simply:

Press Start

Press More

Press Expert

Press Clear Storage

Type 1234

Press Yes

If this does not resolve your issue then it will need to escalated.? In order for this to be done we will require the following information:

It goes on to ask for device details and email to them which I will do today. I see on other forums that the same issue is being raised too.

Guest well0549

Ok I have done a hard reset. (You know where you have to type the 1234)

But that didn't solve it for me. But currently i have no memory issues at all. And how's that.... But the trick is the following.....

1. DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT HTC HOMESCREEN.

2. Modify another home screen and REMOVE all the languages that you do not use.

3. Run oxio's memory regularly.

This will keep my free ram at approx 13 MB free. Sometimes i need to run Oxio's to get it to 13 MB. But with that amount of memory free

it's really running smoothly. I have no GPRS enabled.

I have a custom home screen with small icons in my MRU, a Fizz Traveller plugin and that's it.

And oh yes I also uninstalled windows live.

And for sure i installed Oxio's clearmem.

After a boot i get approx 17 MB free.

My guess it the leak is in the HTC home screen somewhere ! :)

Guest ProbablyX
We are aware that this may be a problem for some customers and are currently investigating into what causes this. As it stands, we do not have a fix as yet, but can recommend that you hard reset your device, as this can rectify the situation for the time being.

Got that in my mailbox today. At least it seems they dont think it will be fixed by a reset, just that it might help "for the time being". I expect they mean that this will remove apps I dont need and thus clear up memory.

But I do believe they have understood that there's an issue here.

Guest moneytoo
It looks like we have a far too aggressive pagepool size set (12Mb) on our devices and these are instructions on reducing (4Mb) it.

12 MB? I believe Wings has only 6 MB Page Pool.

Guest M Brouns
12 MB? I believe Wings has only 6 MB Page Pool.

Can anyone comment on this? Just read that great guide to reduce page pool settings by Paul. It seems that was setup for HTC Touch and T-Mobile Wing.

Just read through all relevant threads and didn't find any specific post that answers our key question: Would reducing the page pool size on the S730 be a good antidote for memory problems on this device?

Anyone?

Edited by M Brouns

Guest Socrates
Ok I have done a hard reset. (You know where you have to type the 1234)

But that didn't solve it for me. But currently i have no memory issues at all. And how's that.... But the trick is the following.....

1. DO NOT USE THE DEFAULT HTC HOMESCREEN.

2. Modify another home screen and REMOVE all the languages that you do not use.

3. Run oxio's memory regularly.

This will keep my free ram at approx 13 MB free. Sometimes i need to run Oxio's to get it to 13 MB. But with that amount of memory free

it's really running smoothly. I have no GPRS enabled.

How is this workaround holding up? anyone else try it? I think I want to order one of these phones, but not until I know I'll actually be able to use it with my apps.

How is this workaround holding up? anyone else try it? I think I want to order one of these phones, but not until I know I'll actually be able to use it with my apps.

Guys, I did a hard reset of my device at the weekend and on boot up had approx 17 meg available. I opened WMP and available memory went down to just over 3 meg. I used task mgr to close WMP and checked again and only 12meg approx was available. 30 mins later still only 12 meg was available. I shut down the device and rebooted and again I had 17 meg. This time I opened call history and memory reduced to 14. When I closed this task the memory remained at 14 meg. It seems that programmes and not completely shutting down. And I am using the full potential of this device which still results in memory error messages. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jvlerick

Me too I am experiencing the disappearing Ram issue. I have tried freeing up memory with Oxios or SK Tools Lite but find that those kill probably too many processes. Some time after running those, the cellphone component crashes: I have no more cellphone network reception (GPRS/3G coninue to work) which can only be restored by a reboot.

Anyone else had the same experience and/or knows of other tools which could be less agressive?

Edited by jvlerick

• 2 weeks later...
Guest dolpher
So here is a question. Are there any s730 owners that DON'T have this memory issue?

Yes...I have no problems. The device is bought through Telia in Denmark and I am using the HTC homescreen.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest jvlerick
A ROM 'dump' won't help you. Is there any clue as to what is being so leaky?

P

Me too I had the disappearing memory problem and when I used Oxios or SKTools to clean up memory, I lost cellphone function (no network detected/selectable - SMS still worked) so I had to reboot. Now I have replaced the Htc Home screen by a custom made one (see below) and my memory problems seem to have gone or are far less at least. I now can also free up memory without any problem :D

post-340664-1206015130_thumb.jpg

Edited by jvlerick

Guest 17-APG
Me too I had the disappearing memory problem and when I used Oxios or SKTools to clean up memory, I lost cellphone function (no network detected/selectable - SMS still worked) so I had to reboot. Now I have replaced the Htc Home screen by a custom made one (see below) and my memory problems seem to have gone or are far less at least. I now can also free up memory without any problem :D

post-340664-1206015130_thumb.jpg

So far HTC have not come back to me on this issue. They have "escalated" it but no news. I am still hoping for a ROM update soon to fix. The memory issue is still in my device and I do not use the HTC home screen at all. I use the windows default with standard colours etc. I have read in other threads here about a pagefile fix but I am not prepared to go down that road but expect HTC to supply a solution soon...

• 4 months later...
Guest mstephenson

Has this memory problem been fixed now then?

I'm due an upgrade next month and thinking about going from my S710 to a S730, just wanted to know if there are any issues with this phone?

• 1 month later...
Guest Louis Li

Not yet :wacko:

I also had this problem but this is not a big deal for me. I have changed my today screen and constantly using "tasks" to clean up programs, so I usually have around 7M of free memory, and that could run most of my programs. The S730 is not my primary phone ;)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...