Some questions on HTC Touch Dual

Guest Rob44

Hi all,

Just been playing with my Orange (now mainly de-oranged) Touch Dual, have to say it's the most impressive phone I've ever bought.. hoever I've got a few questions if anyone knows how to tweak these settings :-

1) How can I increase the timeout for the keypad backlight? It seems to be set at 10 Seconds, I find it mega annoying if you're texting in the pitch dark (heehee) and the keypad totally disappears, be better if it was 1 min or so.

2) Have Microsoft done away with having scripts for things like SMS notifications, on my old SPV 550 I had it set something like av3pw60v1pw300v1pw900v1p so if I missed the text in my pocket I'd get "reminder" ones 1, 5 and 15 minutes later.. this seems to be missing in the registry now? I've tried re-creating the SMS key and putting the values in but they seem to get ignored.

3) Where's/Is it an XML file to control the home screen layout? The XP Theme is good but a little grey for my liking, ideally I want the LCD-Style clock in a retro bright Red, and possibly even have say the Email/SMS/Missed calls counters in yellow, is this customisable?

4) HSDPA, I take it this is a comms channel that goes through the provider i.e. I'd have to pay for traffic? Is this a 3G thing or will could I get it through my Pay-As-You-Scrub SIM I'm still using?

Any help or advice on any of the above appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I must say, although it's a nice device, I'm not mega impressed. I never know whether I should use the soft keypad, or slide the slider open and use the hardware version. The HTC touch screen stuff is nice but as soon as you drop back to Windows Mobile you really need to use the stylus or have very small fingers. I really wish it had a scroll wheel, that would really help.

One question - on a web page using Pocket IE, it seems that you can't use the directional keys to scroll through hyperlinks - which doesn't help me a great deal on my most used site... wap.paddypower.com !

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Gasman2
Hi all,

Just been playing with my Orange (now mainly de-oranged) Touch Dual, have to say it's the most impressive phone I've ever bought.. hoever I've got a few questions if anyone knows how to tweak these settings :-

1) How can I increase the timeout for the keypad backlight? It seems to be set at 10 Seconds, I find it mega annoying if you're texting in the pitch dark (heehee) and the keypad totally disappears, be better if it was 1 min or so.

2) Have Microsoft done away with having scripts for things like SMS notifications, on my old SPV 550 I had it set something like av3pw60v1pw300v1pw900v1p so if I missed the text in my pocket I'd get "reminder" ones 1, 5 and 15 minutes later.. this seems to be missing in the registry now? I've tried re-creating the SMS key and putting the values in but they seem to get ignored.

3) Where's/Is it an XML file to control the home screen layout? The XP Theme is good but a little grey for my liking, ideally I want the LCD-Style clock in a retro bright Red, and possibly even have say the Email/SMS/Missed calls counters in yellow, is this customisable?

4) HSDPA, I take it this is a comms channel that goes through the provider i.e. I'd have to pay for traffic? Is this a 3G thing or will could I get it through my Pay-As-You-Scrub SIM I'm still using?

Any help or advice on any of the above appreciated!

Cheers,

Rob

I was hoping someone might have answered some of these!

Sorry, but I cant!

Guest chucky.egg

I can't help much, but...

1) Dunno, sorry

2) That "script" would be the notification setting in the registry. Try searching for "av3pw" and you might get some hits that tell you where the setting lives

3) The Touch Dual is a Pocket PC, so it's a Today screen (Homescreen XML is for Smartphones). TSK files are used for touchscreen devices. I'm sure I saw a freeware designer somewhere - try searching for more info. The HTC plugin which does the clock may not be editable, I don't know

4) HSDPA is high speed 3G, so you probably do have to pay for using it (depends on your mobile tariff). Your current SIM may well be able to access it, if not your network will probably sell/give you a new SIM. PAYG data charges tend to be higher (in the UK at least), be careful as it's easy to run up LARGE bills for data use. It'll also drain your battery faster.

Guest Gasman2
I can't help much, but...

4) HSDPA is high speed 3G, so you probably do have to pay for using it (depends on your mobile tariff). Your current SIM may well be able to access it, if not your network will probably sell/give you a new SIM. PAYG data charges tend to be higher (in the UK at least), be careful as it's easy to run up LARGE bills for data use. It'll also drain your battery faster.

Thanks for the answers. Do you know if this is free with a T-Mobile Web n Walk contract?

Guest chucky.egg

Yeah, if you have Web'n'Walk it shouldn't cost extra.

I don't know about the PAYG options, but on contract I never paid any extra above the price for WnW for it

Guest Confucious

If the Touch has HTC Homescreen search for HHC by Emunutz - it is the HTC Homescreen Customiser.

HSDPA is available on W'n'W Plus and above and W'n'W standard if taken out before 17/10/07 - after that it was dropped from standard although some people have reported different.

On T-Mob PAYG you are capped at £1/day charges for data no matter how much you use - not sure if it includes HSDPA.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest maggajames

Hi all,

This is my first post so hope I have this right !

Rob, for your 2nd question re message notifications - as far as I'm aware you can set this up in Start > Settings > Sounds & Notifications > Notifications > Event: Messaging: New text message

Edited by maggajames