Finally... the Microsoft utility for configuring GPSID on Smartphone

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest nickcornaglia

As of right now...no WiFi on the Q9h...

Paul is looking ta it further as the hardware may be there. Keep checking the front page for updates on this if it's possible.

gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :D

P

Microsoft_Smartphone_GPSID_Settings.cab

How do you install this? VIA the phone the computer... I have tried all these files either phone or computer and they come up scrambled... Please help someone. :)

I just got my BJII yesterday and was instantly disgusted by AT&T wanting another $10 a month to use the GPS in my phone. I was able to install and use google maps after I made a few key learnings.

I have only used the cab file in the first post of this thread and google maps automatically installed from thier website.

How to get Gmaps working:

1. put the cab in to your sync folder somewhere easy. I made a folder called "programs" and put the file in there.

2. sync the phone.

3. Install the file. You have to use the file browser to find and run it, you can not use the "my stuff" browser. Start > Applications > File Explorer. highlight the file and click it (center of the wheel) to install.

4. I resarted the phone, but it may not be nessesary.

5. Use Internet Explorer (came on the phone, to navigate to "google/m/products"

6. scroll down to maps(download)

7. allow it to install

8. run the GPS config utility (installed by the first cab) -Use the normal settings as described in this thread

Program Port: Com4

Hardware Port: None

Baud Rate: 38400

Checked "Manage Automatically"

9. run the google maps program now in the start menu

10 go to the GPS config in the gmaps options menu. I choose "set maually" and input the same GPS settings as the config utility. click OK.

11. select "Use GPS" from the Gmaps menu.

done!

you should see a little thing at the top that says "initializing GPS", moments later you'll see "GPS Active (X). X is the number of satilites you are recieving, I get 5 within 15 seconds.

Thanks for this, it's just what I needed to stay motivated and get this thing to work, and now it does! Followed your exact steps except I had to run GPSTest to get Google Maps to fire up the GPS. GREAT!

Guest Maz1111

Hi There!

I'm a noob on the forum and was wondering if this fix will work on a HTC Touch (Elf)? I'm connecting via Bluetooth to an external GPS receiver and the damn thing WON'T work no matter what I do. Tom Tom doesn't work it keeps saying "No GPS Device". I've tried GPS Test etc all with no luck. Any help would be appreciated! (BTW: Installed this app and don't know which com ports / software ports to use). Tried them all with no luck

Guest Monolithix

You already have the GPS config app on a WinMo Pro device :) Go to Start > settings > GPS. Set the hardware port to the outgoing com port you set for the BT GPS in the BT settings, and the software port to whichever one you want to use in TomTom...

Guest Maz1111
You already have the GPS config app on a WinMo Pro device :D Go to Start > settings > GPS. Set the hardware port to the outgoing com port you set for the BT GPS in the BT settings, and the software port to whichever one you want to use in TomTom...

Believe me when I say I've tried them all. It doesn't work. The BT flashes constantly and I have come to the conclusion that the device is constantly "scanning " com ports and never locking on. I am returning the BT GPS and swapping it over for another one in the hope that it was just a faulty BT GPS.

:)

Guest ryrone617
gpsidsp.png
Well well... i've been bleating on for *ever* about how hard done by Smartphone users are compared to their Pocket PC counterparts with no UI in the OS to configure the GPS Intermediary Driver (GPSID), and what happens? One springs up!

It turns out that a GPSID configuration utility that exactly mirrors the Pocket PC version is nestling away in the 'Tools' directory of the Windows Mobile 6 Standard SDK Refresh! If you're a BlackJack II owner, a Motorola Q9H owner or basically anyone wanting to configure GPS on a Smartphone, then you NEED this utility!

I don't think it's really fair to make you download a >200MB SDK install just to get hold of it, so (because i'm nice like that) i've packaged the application up into a lovely CAB file, which is attached below.

Enjoy, and Microsoft - better late than never eh? :)

P

IF my Live search works on com 4 or intermediate driver WILL THIS BENEFIT ME IN ANY WAY???

Guest bugmenot111
IF my Live search works on com 4 or intermediate driver WILL THIS BENEFIT ME IN ANY WAY???

WAIT! ryone617 don't do it! That app just killed my GPS!

I could use some help. I had GPS working perfectly when I installed MODACO.SmartphoneGPSActivator. It worked on Windows Live and Google maps. But I just downloaded GPS settings, and it isn't working anymore. I use GPS Test and it just sits at COM4. Nothing happens. Why did I install this app? Because I thought it would help me connect faster. I guess I was too greedy...

PLEASE HELP! I HAVE A BLACKJACK II

So for BJ2 users...set to com4?

Q9h users, set to COM1 or COM3.

Not sure if this is on the BJ2...but on the Q9H there is a reg key...

HKLM\Services\LCAService

Change DisplayIcon from 0 to 1 and restart your phone.

There will be a nice little GPS icon in your icon bar that has the following indicators:

GPS = GPS off

Flashing ))) alternating [check] = GPS Active

Flashing ))) alternating [x] = Acquiring Fix

Hi!

I have a Q9h. I downloaded the files. I have 2 questions:

1) When confifuring the GPSID, is the 'program' and 'hardware' port the same (COM1 or 3)?

2) When I change the registry keys, can't find "LCAService" under the folder Services....?

Please advise. Thanks!

Wiling

Guest HegemonyCricket

Sprint Mogul help?

Ok, I admit it. Total noob to the smartphone thing. I was able to install the cab no nproblem, but no GPS. So, can someone tell me:

1. Does using this util allow me to get gps when I am not actually paying those vampires for it?

2. If so, can someone tell me specifically what I need to do to my Mogul to make it work? Do I have to install something like GoogleMaps too? What ports ect.

Haven't seen any mentions of Mogul here.

Mucho Thankso

Guest C Trophy

I too am a newbe to this site, I want to start off thanking you for the great info you have posted! I have a MOTO Q9h on AT&T. I am looking for a way to use the device as a Marine GPS on my boat. The GPSID utility you posted worked great and allowed me to test a few Marine GPS software/ map reader packages out there, but I haven't found one that I like yet. I have tried Pathaway and GPSdash2, which both work with the built in GPS.

Has anyone tried any GPS programs that would work with the Q9h as a marine GPS (the features I am looking for would be mapping, easy waypoint addition and navigation, routing, and speed/direction/ETA - things most marine GPS have.)

Thanks!

Charlie

Guest lomcevok
can some tell me exactly what the settings are for blackjack 2? please

Same here - tried several combinations, reset, reinstall, reboot, set and use - no joy.

Any help with exact BJII settings and sequence of reset, install, reboot, use?

gpsidsp.png

P

Hi,

Would this work on the Verizon Q9M as well?

thanks,

Fadi.

Guest rabbivj

now here is a really stupid question...the gps in my q9 works without the gpsid util np. but gps test wont work without it. id like to be able to use and uninstall the util but when i uninstalled it last time it didnt remove it. i had to do a master clear. how can i do a uninstall w/o doing a master clear?

Guest pipiland

Hi there,

I have the european version of the Q9H, and im trying to put the GPS working. After instaling the cab. file and setting up the motorola, i tried GPStest, but it only says "looking for GPS unit", and doenst give me any result. Any clue of what im doing wrong?

Thanks

Guest jerry1111

Hi Paul and everyone,

I just downloaded the CAB file on my Treo 700wx, could someone instruct me on how to use the GPS with my phone. I don't know what the next steps are?

gpsidsp.png

P

Guest Lostcrow

Well, i've followed these instructions verbatum and am receiving the following message when it attempts to aquire the gps connection

"Your GPS receiver does not appear to be responding' and so on and so forth. I'm willing to accept that this is user error because this is my first attempt ever in doing anything with thie BJ2. I just got it a few days ago like many others and i've been reading these forums for a week or so in anticipation. I cannot seem to figure out what i'm doing wrong. Any other suggestions? I've double checked all settings.

Thanks

I just got my BJII yesterday and was instantly disgusted by AT&T wanting another $10 a month to use the GPS in my phone. I was able to install and use google maps after I made a few key learnings.

I have only used the cab file in the first post of this thread and google maps automatically installed from thier website.

How to get Gmaps working:

1. put the cab in to your sync folder somewhere easy. I made a folder called "programs" and put the file in there.

2. sync the phone.

3. Install the file. You have to use the file browser to find and run it, you can not use the "my stuff" browser. Start > Applications > File Explorer. highlight the file and click it (center of the wheel) to install.

4. I resarted the phone, but it may not be nessesary.

5. Use Internet Explorer (came on the phone, to navigate to "google/m/products"

6. scroll down to maps(download)

7. allow it to install

8. run the GPS config utility (installed by the first cab) -Use the normal settings as described in this thread

Program Port: Com4

Hardware Port: None

Baud Rate: 38400

Checked "Manage Automatically"

9. run the google maps program now in the start menu

10 go to the GPS config in the gmaps options menu. I choose "set maually" and input the same GPS settings as the config utility. click OK.

11. select "Use GPS" from the Gmaps menu.

done!

you should see a little thing at the top that says "initializing GPS", moments later you'll see "GPS Active (X). X is the number of satilites you are recieving, I get 5 within 15 seconds.

Guest smfa1965

Wow, not sure what to think on this. I applied the BBII patch yesterday and was able to quickly get Google Maps up and running. Now upon downloading and installing this new file, I can't connect to anything. I've loaded GPS Test and while it sees sats, it never locks onto them. Same thing now when launching Google Maps. Everything worked fine after the original cab hack, but for the GPSID hack, it's not working, for anything.

Wow, not sure what to think on this. I applied the BBII patch yesterday and was able to quickly get Google Maps up and running. Now upon downloading and installing this new file, I can't connect to anything. I've loaded GPS Test and while it sees sats, it never locks onto them. Same thing now when launching Google Maps. Everything worked fine after the original cab hack, but for the GPSID hack, it's not working, for anything.

This is EXACTLY what happenned to me when I installed GPSID Settings after installing the Modoco GPS Activator. It just stopped working. I just did a hard reset of the phone and reinstalled everything without touching the GPSID setting hack again. I learned my lesson.

Guest Zhihong Zhang
well the GPSID seemed to kill my GPS connection. I fire up GPStest now and nothing!!! Dead. Cant uninstall GPSID. I had just the hack installed for com 4 on my BJII and GPStest and it worked everytime....now it doesnt see the GPS on any com. i have restarted device, tried to uninstall GPSID (cant) rebooted countless times and nothing. So unhappy now....

I have tried countless setups (com port configs with hardware port and program port for com 4) nothing....silence. A scan with GPStest and it just flies throught the com ports. Wish I never added the GPSID driver as it seems ot have taken over the device.

I initially had it set up like a previous poster who had it working well...didnt work for me.

Wish I could get rid of GPSID but i cant. I uninstalled and rebooted...still there but not in add remove. It still works and runs but cant get rid of it.

Any ideas?? Reg removal!!!

Same thing happened to me. The GPS on my Blackjack II has been working fine. I tried Google Maps, Live Search, Garmin Mobile XT, TeleNav, GPS Test and all worked. I just installed GPSID to see what it does. Now nothing works now. Tried to uninstall everything but still no luck. Any one has any suggestions? I really don't want do a hard reset.

Thanks!

Zhihong

Guest swanmk

I just thought I would add to the support of this problem. I also have the same problem, I had it all working nicely with the GPS activator (although can't say if it would have worked without any of the hacks) and after installing the GPSID settings CAB it all stopped working. I would like to add that I am fairly sure that it is a problem with some conflicting registry settings or something like that as when I run chartcross GPS Test (not to be confused with the microsoft GPSTest.exe in the /windows directory) It shows the reassuring bars in red/yellow/green when it finds the satellites. It now sadly just sits there saying 'GPS starting up' with no bars at all. I have tried lots of reinstalling programs and rebooting and uninstalling all the gps hacks but sadly it won't go back to the way it was.

I would like to avoid a hard reset which I imagine would solve the problem as I have put alot of time into setup. I would hope that in the near future a better understanding of the registry settings and any other gps settings will enable a fix to this problem.

Thanks,

Mike.

Same thing happened to me. The GPS on my Blackjack II has been working fine. I tried Google Maps, Live Search, Garmin Mobile XT, TeleNav, GPS Test and all worked. I just installed GPSID to see what it does. Now nothing works now. Tried to uninstall everything but still no luck. Any one has any suggestions? I really don't want do a hard reset.

Thanks!

Zhihong

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.