TheLostSoul's Thread of Tips

Guest thelostsoul

Guest thelostsoul

Okay, I like the idea of having one thread for tips, but it just looks sloppy when it's not updated in the first post with all the tips. So I'm starting this thread. All tips posted will be added to my post (with a credit to the poster). No offense intended towards the original start of the last thread, just figured this would be easier...

ABOUT WM6.1

Next to items untested on WM6.1, you will see a " (untested on 6.1)" message. Most of these should work, but I'm letting you know I didn't try them. If you try them and they do/don't, please post about it!

Also note that there are some WM6.1 messages next to certain things. This means if you have 6.1, follow those steps. If you have 6.0, follow the normal steps.

Need a registry editor?

DOWNLOAD THIS (regeditstg)

PRIOR TO DOING ANY OF THESE TIPS & TRICKS - UNLOCK YOUR PHONE!

This is not mandatory for all tips and tricks, but most will need your phone to be unlocked, so I recommend you do so. Here are the steps:

NOTICE: Step 0 is ONLY for FIDO / Canadian users. If your phone is from another carrier, then start at step 1. For all phones, perform steps 1-3.

0. FIDO / CANADIAN USERS ONLY! Download THIS; extract the contents, run the exe, connect your phone and perform the unlock. Then RESTART YOUR PHONE, then proceed to the normal unlocking methods below:

1. ALL OTHER USERS: DOWNLOAD THIS (unlock patch)

2. Copy the cab to your phone and run it. Install to DEVICE if asked where to install.

3. Shutdown and restart your phone.

Full YouTube (and other video services) on your phone! (untested on 6.1)

http://discussion.wmexperts.com/showthread.php?t=148801

Install Adobe Flash Player 7 for your BJII (untested on 6.1)

http://www.modaco.com/content/Samsung-i617...n-BlackJack-II/

(by: Chad B.)

Getting GPS to work

NOTICE: This is unnecessary if you perform the WM6.1 upgrade. If you plan to use GPS on you Blackjack II, the 6.1 upgrade is strongly recommended. On WM6.1, only install the modaco/microsoft hacks if you know that you need a COM port. Garmin, Google Maps, Windows Live, and most other GPS applications do not need a COM port.

READ THIS THREAD

WARNING: Although it has yet to be determined what the correct method of getting the GPS to work properly is, it is recommended that you only install the following hack ONLY if you know you need to define a COM port. Application such as Google Maps, Windows Live Search, and Garmin Mobile XT all work using the "Intermediate driver. It has been seen that the below hacks can cause the GPS system to fail for no apparent reason.

!!To get GPS working, it seems you will need to hard reset your device until it works!!

1. Turn off your device.

2. Press and hold the UP button on the dpad while turning on the device.

3. When the on-screen instructions appear for formatting your phone, release the UP and power buttons.

4. Press "1" to continue and "Y" to perform the format.

5. Your device will now take a little while longer to start up than normal as it needs to initialize.

6. When you get on your device, launch a GPS application. Whether it be TeleNav or something you need to install first, it doesn't matter. Just as long as it doesn't require a COM port. Ensure the application is configured to "Set by windows," "Set automatically," "Intermediate driver" or something similar.

7. Ensure it acquires a signal. Stand outside if it seems to be taking too long.

8. If it can't get a signal and you are outside with a clear sky for more than 5 to 10 minutes, repeat step 1 to 8 until it acquires a signal.

9. Once it acquires a signal, try not to mess with it too much! Install only the applications you need!

Here are the steps to installing and using a COM port on your device -- ONLY INSTALL IF YOU NEED IT! If the intermediate drivers work, DO NOT MESS WITH THIS!:

0. (preliminary) ENSURE YOUR GPS IS WORKING BEFORE INSTALLING ANY OF THIS! To do this, install an application that uses the intermediate driver, or launch the BJII included GPS Test (the one located in \windows\gpstest.exe). If these fail, the below will likely be a waste of time. Use the above steps to ensure your GPS works!

1. Download and install this

2. Go to Start - GPSID Settings and set it to COM4, none, 38400 and check the "Manage Automatically" button then press Done.

3. Download and install this

Now, prior to running any GPS applications, launch GPS Test and let it acquire a signal.

NOTE: It can take up to 10 minutes to acquire a signal. In most scenarios, it will take around 2 minutes. If outside, it should be faster. Ensure you have a decently clear view of the sky prior to attempting to acquire a signal.

Sed8ed reports that you will likely need to stand outside to obtain any signal at all. I can add that this is likely, and even then it may take a few minutes.

Also, ensure your GPS applications are configured to either "Set my windows" "Intermediate driver" or "COM4"

Remove the 300KB limit on Ringtones

# Go into HKEY_Current User → ControlPanel → Sounds

# Modify the DWORD value called "FileSizeLimit" to something much greater than it's current value (not larger than 4294967295)

(Thanks: ATT Boards: CaptainAmerica)

Remove the startup and shutdown sounds

1. Unlock your phone!!

2. Open notepad, click file - save as

3. Save the file as start.wav

4. In windows, right click on your start button, press "Explore" and click tools - folder options - view.

5. Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known type" (do this for whatever file viewer you are using!)

6. Go to where you saved "start.wav" and ensure there is nothing at the end of it (eg. remove the .txt if it's there)

7. Copy the file to your phone in \windows\ -if asked to overwrite, select yes!

8. Rename it to stop.wav and copy it to your phone in \windows\ - yes to overwrite!

Silence the camera shutter tone

1. Unlock your phone!!

2. Open notepad, click file - save as

3. Save the file as camera_shutter_1.snd

4. In windows, right click on your start button, press "Explore" and click tools - folder options - view.

5. Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known type" (do this for whatever file viewer you are using!)

6. Go to where you saved "camera_shutter_1.snd" and ensure there is nothing at the end of it (eg. remove the .txt if it's there)

7. Copy the file to your phone in \windows\ - yes to overwrite!

8. Go to your camera, open the Camera options and set the shutter sound to "Shutter 1"

Change IE Homepage; Speed up Interface; Remove "SMS Sent" notification

NOTICE1: WM6.1 does not show the SMS Sent notification (when the message is no longer bolded in the inbox view, it is sent, unless it says send failed.

NOTICE2: WM6.1 allows you to change your IE homepage in the options. Simply press menu - tools - options - home page.

CLICK HERE

The IE homepage hack has been tested and works. Ensure you are launching "Internet Explorer" and not "MediaNet".

(rubrnek)

For a step-by-step guide to applying the "SMS Sent" tweak:

CLICK HERE

(Thanks: shutter13)

Add an always allow network access to specific java applications permissions (untested on 6.1)

CLICK HERE

Remove startup/shutdown Videos

CLICK HERE

(BRaVO503)

CLICK HERE (more info/tips on this tip)

(Thanks: quksilver)

Hiding Spot for Spare MicroSD Cards

CLICK HERE

(Thanks: bugmenot111)

Editing MediaNet and CV keys

CLICK HERE

(Thanks: quksilver)

Dialing Phone Numbers with Letters

NOTICE On WM6.1, press start - settings - key settings - vanity dialing. Set that to ON, and reboot your phone. Now when you start dialing, you can press the CAPS button and start dialing letters. When you press call they will be automatically transferred to numbers.

CLICK HERE

All audio through Bluetooth Headset (untested on 6.1)

CLICK HERE

(Thanks: Chad B.)

Disable auto-switch to 3G (to save battery)

CLICK HERE

(Thanks: Chad B.)

How to use your current XM Subscription without paying extra

CLICK HERE

(Thanks: FAF_DRAKO)

MORE COMMING SOON...

Edited by thelostsoul

Guest thelostsoul
Okay, I like the idea of having one thread for tips, but it just looks sloppy when it's not updated in the first post with all the tips. So I'm starting this thread. All tips posted will be added to my post (with a credit to the poster). No offense intended towards the original start of the last thread, just figured this would be easier...

Plus it's also to keep my own thoughts organized. Especially for when something causes a hard reset, it's good to have a list of things like this to quickly get at and restore the files needed.

If it's a problem, by all means, remove it do or do whatever you gotta do, but I'm just trying to help out...

Guest rubrnek

*** change internet explorer home page ***

navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/AboutURLs

Find the value called "home" edit it's value data to http://whateveryourwebsiteis.something/

*** speed up the interface ***

Display cache increase

RegKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE

Change from 16384 to 32768

Filesystem caching (default is turned off)

RegKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\FATFS

Change entry for CacheSize from 0 to 1024

Change entry for EnableCache from 0 value to 1

Create RegKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt

Change entry for ReplStoreCacheSize from 0 to 1024

Get rid of the annoying SMS Sent message

RegKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings

Create DWORD as SMSNoSentMsg with a value to 1

Reboot

Guest Sed8ed

I agree...Great thread. all in one place. (the pinned one was too but i like this better). Dont move it as this can be built on.

On the subject of the GPS. I have fired mine up with GPS test 10 times or so now and it takes nothing to get a lock (I am in different areas too). Key is it always has to be outside. Even my HOLUX 236 BT GPS reciever takes forever to get a lock inside if ever...it has the same chipset as the BJII....outside will always get results.

Although not a tip I want to push an idea for the BJII GPS...I want to see a bridge/serial port replicator type hack to get the internal GPS seen as a wired type GPS or serial device. I think this is all that is needed to get standalone apps working with the BJII GPS. Most apps out now that work on the BJII have some sort of option for bluetooth or serial device. Bluetooth isnt going to work so a bridge/software connections need to be in place to fool the app the GPS is there. Is this possible. God it sounds plausible but I have no experience in this field.

Tom Tom for example has 4 options for a reciever..Bluetooth, wired, tom tom BT device, or "other NMEA GPS device"...could the last option be the answer!!! I take "other NMEA GPS" device to be serial port type and of any manufacture!!! I could be way off but modding the app seems difficult if not impossible but making a bridge seems, well..plausible. I could be totally wrong but I dont want Google Maps/WLS or some other DATA based GPS as my only solution . If the GPS test app can get NMEA data without cell towers (I have no data plan or settings in my phone for it to use) I think it's gotta work fine independently.

Can anyone with good phone hack skills get on board and help make this GPS thing really happen...the com 4 port mod was the start. Now it needs expansion.

Guest JDMinPDX

7. Press "Value" (left softkey) and navigate to and set the following values accordingly:

# 1001 --> Change to 1

# 1005 --> Change to 40

# 1017 --> Change to 144

8. Reboot your phone again

What do those changes in values do? or what are they for?

Guest thelostsoul

They are policies for the phone's security. TBH, I'm not certain they have any effect after running the cab I linked to in the earlier step, but I wanted to ensure a complete procedure, and that was how I did it successfully. If you (or anyone else) has any further explanations or methods, please post and I'll update it!

Thanks to the other additions I've added btw!

Guest turnerh
*** change internet explorer home page ***

navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/AboutURLs

Find the value called "home" edit it's value data to http://whateveryourwebsiteis.something/

*** speed up the interface ***

Display cache increase

RegKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE

Change from 16384 to 32768

Filesystem caching (default is turned off)

Change entry for CacheSize from 0 to 1024

Change entry for EnableCache from 0 value to 1

Create RegKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt

Change entry for ReplStoreCacheSize from 0 to 1024

Get rid of the annoying SMS Sent message

RegKey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings

Create DWORD as SMSNoSentMsg with a value to 1

Reboot

Has anyone else had any trouble using these methods? I followed the instructions to change the homepage (changed to http://google.com tried http://www.google.com as well), rebooted and it still wants to go to http://home ...

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by turnerh

Guest Sed8ed
Has anyone else had any trouble using these methods? I followed the instructions to change the homepage (changed to http://google.com tried http://www.google.com as well), rebooted and it still wants to go to http://home ...

If anyone could shed some light on this it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I suffered this too. I have installed software unlocker too!!! makes no difference...reg editor makes the change but after reboot nothing changes

Guest thelostsoul
I suffered this too. I have installed software unlocker too!!! makes no difference...reg editor makes the change but after reboot nothing changes

Hmm...I'm going to have to hard reset my phone soon, so I'll experiment with this one for a while then and post if I come up with anything...

Guest MadHermit

I have a question about the Hard Reset. I know you loose all your contacts but do you also loose all you carrier settings? Im with AT&T and wanna do a HArd Reset and start fresh.........?? Thanks and by the way Great Forum!

Guest thelostsoul

Not exactly sure which carrier settings you mean, but settings such as Caller ID (Hide my ID, etc) are lost as well as Voice Mail number, and all connection settings. If you're not sure, assume it gets lost. Feel free to ask about something specific though...

There are two ways to backup your contacts though. Well, there are more, but here are two good options:

Copy all to SIM card. Resetting will not clear anything on your SIM card.

Setup an account at Mail2web, then go into activesync (on your phone) and press menu - add server source. Enter "mobile.exchange.mail2web.com" as the server, and all your account details that you just made. Your username must include @mail2web.com. Then set it to synchronize your contacts and any other data you want, and everything will be backed up there. Then after you reset, go back into ActiveSync, press Add server source, and add all the details again, sync the stuff you want back, and you're good.

That sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is btw :(

Guest jdm0830

how do i start regedit? i only found the waty is to go to program files. a deaktop maybe? lol were are the programs or do i make a shortcut in appilcatuion?

Juan

Guest thelostsoul

Making a Java application not ask for network access constantly:

1. Install the application you need to set the network permissions for.

2. On your phone, launch JBlend (Start - Applications - Java)

3. Starting at 0, count the applications until you reach the one you need to set it for. (for example, the first application is 0, second is 1, third is 2, etc)

4. Download the zip that is attached to this post.

5. Extract the file inside it and rename it to the number of your application (dot) mss - for example, if on step 3 I counted that my application was 4, then I would name it "4.mss"

6. Copy the file to your \windows\java directory, selecting yes to overwrite if asked.

Now launch the application and your permissions should be set. If not, open the application's settings and the options to allow always should be available.

If it still doesn't work, you probably counted wrong, or have add/removed applications. Remember, if you're list looks like this:

BrainChallenge

MySpace Mobile

PEOPLE Mobile Demo

Midnight Pool

Then BrainChallenge = 0; Myspace = 1; People = 2; Pool = 3; next application = 4, etc. This will change if you install and uninstall applications. However. If you have, there is no way to definitively tell which number it is. You will have to simply try various numbers until you get it.

JavaPermissionsFile.zip

Edited by thelostsoul

Guest MadHermit
Not exactly sure which carrier settings you mean, but settings such as Caller ID (Hide my ID, etc) are lost as well as Voice Mail number, and all connection settings. If you're not sure, assume it gets lost. Feel free to ask about something specific though...

There are two ways to backup your contacts though. Well, there are more, but here are two good options:

Copy all to SIM card. Resetting will not clear anything on your SIM card.

Setup an account at Mail2web, then go into activesync (on your phone) and press menu - add server source. Enter "mobile.exchange.mail2web.com" as the server, and all your account details that you just made. Your username must include @mail2web.com. Then set it to synchronize your contacts and any other data you want, and everything will be backed up there. Then after you reset, go back into ActiveSync, press Add server source, and add all the details again, sync the stuff you want back, and you're good.

That sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is btw :(

Yeah I gotcha there, what I was wondering is the phone is ATT branded and you know how they have there settings in there, nothing that I put in there, I guess what I mean will the phone be like just out of the box? With all ATT stuff on there?

Guest thelostsoul
Yeah I gotcha there, what I was wondering is the phone is ATT branded and you know how they have there settings in there, nothing that I put in there, I guess what I mean will the phone be like just out of the box? With all ATT stuff on there?

Oh, yep, unfortunately....but that reminds me to update my unlocking method...turns out the one cab is good enough!

Guest MadHermit
Oh, yep, unfortunately....but that reminds me to update my unlocking method...turns out the one cab is good enough!

Good deal, I really appreciate it! Just getting to know this thing is tricky :(

Guest thelostsoul
Has anyone tried the full YouTube hack? Aparently you can go directly to the websites to view...How well does it work?

It works great! You just go to the youtube site, and whenever it detects that you're trying to go to the site, a popup menu comes up and gives you 3 options "play video" (stream) "save video" or "Linked page" (which just loads the page, but you really can't play it like on a PC. The other two options will use TCPMP to play it, and it's really good. Over edge, streaming is obviously too slow, but it's just like using vTap kinda. Save video seems to only work with youtube, and does work with some of the other video sites.

Guest JDMinPDX
It works great! You just go to the youtube site, and whenever it detects that you're trying to go to the site, a popup menu comes up and gives you 3 options "play video" (stream) "save video" or "Linked page" (which just loads the page, but you really can't play it like on a PC. The other two options will use TCPMP to play it, and it's really good. Over edge, streaming is obviously too slow, but it's just like using vTap kinda. Save video seems to only work with youtube, and does work with some of the other video sites.

Sweet. I am going to try it out.

Guest BRaVO503

you can completely remove the startup and shutdown videos if you delete the values in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Shutdown>>1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Startup>>1

it will replace them with a picture of some type of logo

Guest quksilver
you can completely remove the startup and shutdown videos if you delete the values in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Shutdown>>1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Startup>>1

it will replace them with a picture of some type of logo

Thought I'd add a clarification on this tip based on some of my own tweaking. The value to delete will be called "Dll". If you delete that value, then the video is replaced with a default graphic logo. Annoyingly, during Startup the logo is displayed for a rather long time so getting rid of the video doesn't do much for you. However, if instead of deleting the Startup "Dll" value, you edit the Startup "Dll" value and delete the Value data, then no logo is displayed and the phone starts up much more quickly. The Windows Mobile graphic continues to display.

Note, that only applies to the Startup registry key. In the Shutdown key, if you delete the Value data from the "Dll" value, it causes a bit of funky behavior. Notably, there is no indication whatsoever (not even the Windows Mobile graphic) that the phone is powering off. It appears as if the phone locked up and is unresponsive, but if you wait it does shut down just fine. No lasting harm occurs; if it bothers you, then you can always go back and delete the "Dll" value entirely.

So, to get the best of both worlds, here's what I would recommend:

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Startup>>1

2. View the Values (Note: I use RegEditSTG, for other Registry editors this may not be necessary)

3. Edit the "Dll" Value and clear the "Value data" field

4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Shutdown>>1

5. View the Values (see note on Step 2.)

6. Delete the "Dll" value entirely

Cheers,

Guest Jayden0606

Remove the startup and shutdown sounds & Silence the camera shutter tone ... both do not work for me. I copy the file to the phone and then go to file explorer to copy and paste in windows. Am I doing it wrong? The instructions seem as though they should be copied from the folder I saved it in, directly to the \windows folder from the PC. If that's the case, I'm unable to see the \windows folder from my PC.... HELP!!!!