TheLostSoul's Thread of Tips

Guest thelostsoul

Guest thelostsoul

Did you unlock your phone using the first tip?

Copy this to your phone:

http://mobile.surrealnetworks.com/SDA%20ap...ksAppUnlock.cab

And install it.

Then follow the instructions. To copy then, open up active sync, click "Explore" then click "My Windows Mobile Based Device" then "Windows" and just copy paste the files there clicking yes to overwrite.

Guest Jayden0606

I have three different unlockers on my phone already. This will be my fourth. Also I have windows Vista. I don't have ActiveSync, I have windows mobile device center. I don't have the option to explore.

Guest widgetdude
Thought I'd add a clarification on this tip based on some of my own tweaking. The value to delete will be called "Dll". If you delete that value, then the video is replaced with a default graphic logo. Annoyingly, during Startup the logo is displayed for a rather long time so getting rid of the video doesn't do much for you. However, if instead of deleting the Startup "Dll" value, you edit the Startup "Dll" value and delete the Value data, then no logo is displayed and the phone starts up much more quickly. The Windows Mobile graphic continues to display.

Note, that only applies to the Startup registry key. In the Shutdown key, if you delete the Value data from the "Dll" value, it causes a bit of funky behavior. Notably, there is no indication whatsoever (not even the Windows Mobile graphic) that the phone is powering off. It appears as if the phone locked up and is unresponsive, but if you wait it does shut down just fine. No lasting harm occurs; if it bothers you, then you can always go back and delete the "Dll" value entirely.

So, to get the best of both worlds, here's what I would recommend:

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Startup>>1

2. View the Values (Note: I use RegEditSTG, for other Registry editors this may not be necessary)

3. Edit the "Dll" Value and clear the "Value data" field

4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Shutdown>>1

5. View the Values (see note on Step 2.)

6. Delete the "Dll" value entirely

Cheers,

This is a great tip but what if you just wanted to change your splash screen. I've looked everywhere and tried different methods. I've tried copying the files directly (ms_splash.png) with no luck, even when I remove the file permissions it seems to still be locked down somewhere so a direct file copy isn't working for me. I've also tried some registry additions including Registry keys with value splash, image, etc. in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Startup>>1). Could you expand upon your genius and take a look at this for me?

Guest thelostsoul

The blackjack II (possibly all WM6 devices) uses a DLL file, not an image. The other image is going to be real difficult to change without reflashing the device.

So if you want a custom startup anim, you'd have to compile it to a dll, which is not going to be easy because, afaik, it's not yet been determine how it's compiled on the BJII.

Guest widgetdude
The blackjack II (possibly all WM6 devices) uses a DLL file, not an image. The other image is going to be real difficult to change without reflashing the device.

So if you want a custom startup anim, you'd have to compile it to a dll, which is not going to be easy because, afaik, it's not yet been determine how it's compiled on the BJII.

Well the dll file itself refers to that file. If I'm talking about the standard windows mobile 6 file. If we can figure out how to bypass the permissions and change that file the dll file won't care that the file itself has changed. I'm not interested as much in the animation just yet, that may come later. Besides if we can change the .png file we should be able to also change the animation because there again the dll file refers to those files right? If I'm wrong feel free to bitch slap me sir.

Guest thelostsoul

No, that's not how it works. The image files are not referred to by the DLL, they are packed into the DLL. I'll compare things with my old phone and see if I can come up with a way for it to use the method that it used (which used an image instead of a dll) but I can't promise it'll work. I'm more leaning towards thinking it won't work actually...

Hi gang, I'm new here so cut me some slack :)

I have only one question so far and that is that when i download a CAB file onto my computer, it shows up at a WinRAR file. What can i do so that the program is on my computer? That way i can just transfer the CAB file onto the phone and install it. Hope the explanation helps. I'm trying to unlock my phone so that I can do all these cool things to it, but it just shows up as a WinRAR file when i download the programs.

Thanks

Edited by danzer

Hi gang, I'm new here so cut me some slack :)

I have only one question so far and that is that when i download a CAB file onto my computer, it shows up at a WinRAR file. What can i do so that the program is on my computer? That way i can just transfer the CAB file onto the phone and install it. Hope the explanation helps. I'm trying to unlock my phone so that I can do all these cool things to it, but it just shows up as a WinRAR file when i download the programs.

Thanks

In order to install the .cab (which looks like a winrar file) it needs to be onto either you memory card or on the device menu itself. Then you use file explorer on the phone to locate the file and then click on it to install. Use activesync to transfer the file over...using the explore function.click and drag file onto the above directories.

On another note when changing the I.E homepage I found changing the first three values listed under software/microsoft/internet explorer/AboutURLs actually changed the page as opposed to just changing the "home" value

These values to change for me where:

Blank

home

home-0409

I tried just changing the "home" value data but it never worked.. After changing all three the homepage stayed at what I set.

Edited by Sed8ed

Guest Jayden0606
Thought I'd add a clarification on this tip based on some of my own tweaking. The value to delete will be called "Dll". If you delete that value, then the video is replaced with a default graphic logo. Annoyingly, during Startup the logo is displayed for a rather long time so getting rid of the video doesn't do much for you. However, if instead of deleting the Startup "Dll" value, you edit the Startup "Dll" value and delete the Value data, then no logo is displayed and the phone starts up much more quickly. The Windows Mobile graphic continues to display.

Note, that only applies to the Startup registry key. In the Shutdown key, if you delete the Value data from the "Dll" value, it causes a bit of funky behavior. Notably, there is no indication whatsoever (not even the Windows Mobile graphic) that the phone is powering off. It appears as if the phone locked up and is unresponsive, but if you wait it does shut down just fine. No lasting harm occurs; if it bothers you, then you can always go back and delete the "Dll" value entirely.

So, to get the best of both worlds, here's what I would recommend:

1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Startup>>1

2. View the Values (Note: I use RegEditSTG, for other Registry editors this may not be necessary)

3. Edit the "Dll" Value and clear the "Value data" field

4. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>System>>Shutdown>>1

5. View the Values (see note on Step 2.)

6. Delete the "Dll" value entirely

Cheers,

Thanks! I got this to work.

Now I'm just working on the shutter sound for the camera. I still can't copy the file into \windows\

The error message I receive:

"Cannot copy 'camera.shutter_1':Access is denied.

Be certain that there is enough free storage memory, that the destination is not write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

Guest widgetdude
Thought I'd add a clarification on this tip based on some of my own tweaking. The value to delete will be called "Dll". If you delete that value, then the video is replaced with a default graphic logo.

Muahahahah I used this to get my picture to shimmy in there, that default graphic logo is called carrier_splash.png. If you have a 320x320 png you can replace that file and make:

post-339158-1200532816_thumb.png

Look Like:

post-339158-1200608820_thumb.png

You can also change ms_splash.png:

post-339158-1200608742_thumb.png

Unfortunately this takes out any sound or video options on start up. I hope we have a more viable option soon.

*Edit* Ok after reviewing this there are three pictures inexplicably showing up, the original ms_splash.png (Located somewhere else other than the windows folder) then I get my picture which I had to name ms_splash.jpg to get it to work (Which is located above and third I get the carrier_splash.png picture.shows up first for a few seconds then you get the

Edited by widgetdude

On another tip..for those hunting for ICS solutions (already posted on the first page but takes a while ot locate) thought I would post the link here for quick tip linkage..

Internet Connection Sharing setup:

Located here:

http://verizonwireless.howardforums.com/sh...age=3&pp=15

Works and tested...(although some issues with USB tether it works over bluetooth PAN no worries). Tested by a good friend for me with BJII and Data connection.

ok so i have 2 questions

1. how can i get to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings on my phone. do i need the keyregister thing? if so, when i try clicking on it at the beginning of the thread, it takes me to some weird site with a bunch of chinese or japanese writing

2. if i dont have unlimited interent on my phone, is there anyway i can use google maps or the windows live program without using any data?

thanks guys

Guest thelostsoul
ok so i have 2 questions

1. how can i get to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Inbox\Settings on my phone. do i need the keyregister thing? if so, when i try clicking on it at the beginning of the thread, it takes me to some weird site with a bunch of chinese or japanese writing

2. if i dont have unlimited interent on my phone, is there anyway i can use google maps or the windows live program without using any data?

thanks guys

1. Yes. On your PC, right click no the link, click "Save as" then copy the .cab to your device and run it using Start - Applications - File Explorer.

2. Yes, but it is very complicated and I do not have all the details at the moment. If you wish to use GPS with a mapping program, I recommend Garmin. Contact them to ensure if decide to purchase it to ensure you get a version supporting the internal GPS on the Blackjack II. However, for any smartphone device which you plan to use any internet, I recommend getting an unlimited data plan as overage costs and per usage costs can be very costly.

Guest widgetdude

I was hoping we could figure out how to get a new animation and sound in there, after you remove the startup dll in the registry it just displays 3 default images (I edited the post above) I looked for registry entries that I thought might control these things however I can't find anything on it. I posted this question at xda as well. If we can figure out startup we can figure out shutdown as well. Meh it may not be worth it to some but I'd like my phone to be as customizeable as possible :)

Edited by widgetdude

PRIOR TO DOING ANY OF THESE TIPS & TRICKS - UNLOCK YOUR PHONE!

This is not mandatory for all tips and tricks, but most will need your phone to be unlocked, so I recommend you do so. Here are the steps:

1. DOWNLOAD THIS (unlock patch)

2. Copy the cab to your phone and run it. Install to DEVICE if asked where to install.

3. Shutdown and restart your phone.

i downloaded your patch and it shows up as a file cabinet icon. when i extract the files and click on them it opens up a website, no install. can you break this down crayola style for me?

thanks

Guest thelostsoul

2. Copy the cab to your phone and run it. Install to DEVICE if asked where to install.

In other words, don't extract anything. Just copy that to your device and install it. Don't do more work then you have to :)

The idea is not to "unrar" the file....

Lots of .cab files look like a winrar file...they are in fact just the .cab

The phone unpacks and installs the software. There's absolutely no reason to unpack the file. Just place it on your memory card on the phone as is....then run it from the phone by clicking on it. Use the file explorer under "menu" and then "applications" in the phone to locate the file on your device.

Install "App unlock" programs to the device...not memory card. Most anything else can be installed to the memory card unless told otherwise or the program instructs you too when installing.

In regards to the "surrealnetworks.cab" located at the link above copy the file to your "my documents folder" on the device.....or onto your storage card. It doesnt matter where you put the file it only matters where you install it. In this case "on the device" as opposed to "storage card" when installing...

I clicked on the link above and the file is "surrealnetworks.cab"....place on storage (memory card) or device (my documents) and then click on it from the phone (use the phone) not from the activesync connection (file explorer in activesync).

Using the activesync file explorer to locate the file will result in a "properties" screen being displayed rather than the install......make sure you do your install from the actual phone menu using the phone's "file explorer"..

Hope this clarifies installs for you..

Good luck.

Edited by Sed8ed

Guest crackerjacks

A while back, I read somewhere how to move/hide your shortcut icons (I tried searching for it). For example, I was able to move 'Office Mobile' out of my 'Applications' folder. I could also hide/remove shortcut icons. Does anyone know a program that can do this?

Guest thelostsoul

Apparently "Jeyo Personalize" or something does that, but it's a really old app and I prefer to just app unlock my device (the first tip on this thread) then using resco file explorer, total commander, or your PC's file explorer when connected to the device, navigate to /windows/start menu and move them around there.

thanks that explained for me. now do i need still to keep the cab on my mem card for it to work? and after i installed it a messaged poped up and said something about an old version and it may not work right. do i need to worry about that?