Build-in SiRF III GPS receiver for Blackjack II

Guest Wizkid69

Guest Wizkid69

I'm still a newbie to my Blackjack handheld.

Can somebody clarify me that Blackjack II does not have a Build-in SiRF III GPS receiver?

I read the article from here:

http://www.intomobile.com/2007/11/26/unloc...of-telenav.html

First I thought my device has a GPS recievier, but when I was talking to Samsung Tech support level III (for my ActiveSyn connection issue). I asked him about this and he said there is no GPS hardware embeded inside the Blackjack phone. You will need to get an external GPS receiver to work with the map software in your phone.

So if that's the case, Paul's hack article on http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-S...-GPS-ACTIVATED/

Would be just be the "soft" fixed at the API level to open up the COM port for communicating with an external GPS device?

Guest JDMinPDX

Can somebody clarify me that Blackjack II does not have a Build-in SiRF III GPS receiver?

First I thought my device has a GPS recievier, but when I was talking to Samsung Tech support level III (for my ActiveSyn connection issue). I asked him about this and he said there is no GPS hardware embeded inside the Blackjack phone. You will need to get an external GPS receiver to work with the map software in your phone.

So if that's the case, Paul's hack article on http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-S...-GPS-ACTIVATED/

Would be just be the "soft" fixed at the API level to open up the COM port for communicating with an external GPS device?

IT DOES. Whoever you talked to over at Samsung is a moron. The BJ I doesnt have GPS. The II, does. Not sure why someone who works for the phone manufacturer would tell you that.

Edited by JDMinPDX

Guest Wizkid69
Go outside in a clear area and run GPS Test. It can take anywhere between 2 and 10 minutes to obtain a signal.

VERY COOL!

I got it to work after I left the GPSTest running in my car for about 15 minutes.

Google Maps is working now with GPS.

But Live Search is cranky.... Yahoo! Go is not working with BJ2 - can't find GPS setting and Yahoo said it does not support BJ2.

VERY COOL!

I got it to work after I left the GPSTest running in my car for about 15 minutes.

Google Maps is working now with GPS.

I am having a similar problem. I had installed and working fine Google Map and Live Search (used to take a little long and multiple tries for the GPS to start). Since I installed MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator, I have not been able to get them working again. I tried changing ports, hard and soft resets, uninstalling and reinstalling MoDaCo Smartphone GPS Activator. I am going to try again being outside long enough, but before I do that, I want to make sure I have all the settings correct.

Could someone please tell me what the values are for a BlackJack II in the GPSID Settings?

Program Port: ?

Hardware Port: ?

Hardware Port Baud Rate: ?

(Y/N?) Managed Automatically

Thank you

Guest Wizkid69

This is what I use in my Google Map & GPSTest settings:

Program Port: ? - not sure where you see that?

Hardware Port: ? - COM4

Hardware Port Baud Rate: ? 19200

(Y/N?) Managed Automatically - where?

Guest thelostsoul
This is what I use in my Google Map & GPSTest settings:

Program Port: ? - not sure where you see that?

Hardware Port: ? - COM4

Hardware Port Baud Rate: ? 19200

(Y/N?) Managed Automatically - where?

Hmm...actually, I set Program Port to 4 (the first option) and Hardware to "none" (second option) with baud at 38400. I also checked the last option "Managed automatically" which seems to make it really not matter what you set for Baud.

But note, we're talking about this one:

http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-S...-on-Smartphone/

Not the modaco gps hack (even though that's what he said earlier)...

Guest evan.oliver
Hmm...actually, I set Program Port to 4 (the first option) and Hardware to "none" (second option) with baud at 38400. I also checked the last option "Managed automatically" which seems to make it really not matter what you set for Baud.

But note, we're talking about this one:

http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-S...-on-Smartphone/

Not the modaco gps hack (even though that's what he said earlier)...

If you're going to use Garmin Mobile XT, it's best to leave those settings alone and just use the "intermediate driver" setting - I noticed that Garmin gets really cranky about finding GPS if you try to point it at the com port. Also, GPS turns off (when you're done with it) with the GPSID, and seems to stay on all the time after activated using the hack.

- Evan

Guest thelostsoul
If you're going to use Garmin Mobile XT, it's best to leave those settings alone and just use the "intermediate driver" setting - I noticed that Garmin gets really cranky about finding GPS if you try to point it at the com port. Also, GPS turns off (when you're done with it) with the GPSID, and seems to stay on all the time after activated using the hack.

- Evan

Yes, Garmin does work with the intermediate driver, but I couldn't get it to automatically detect the GPS driver. No matter what, I've always had to launch GPS Test and acquire a signal first.

Guest opticalc

yes the i617 BJ-II does have GPS built in. it does take about 10 minutes or so to sync to a satellite though. get google maps and it will work

Guest Sed8ed
yes the i617 BJ-II does have GPS built in. it does take about 10 minutes or so to sync to a satellite though. get google maps and it will work

Mine gets a lock under 2 mins in the car while moving with GPStest...always sees about 9 satellites and connects to six (I am in Australia)...fires up fast everytime. All I need is a tested GPS app that works with the internal GPS...so frustrating to not what version works. After visiting Garmin website I am unsure as to what it will cost for the Australian map and the software..it's not crystal clear.

I dont want Gmaps or any other cell tower or data connection required software. Can someone please give a list of what they have working as a standalone APP..

I have installed destinator 7 but I have no control over it (was supposed to be SP edition not PPC) I hate the fact that a lot of links/ threads on other sites claim SP edition when really it's PPC and touchscreen required..this is the worst thing about the Smartphone....programs that dont have dual controls. Sucks!!!. I have tried SPhelper with some programs but it's plain useless on the BJII...I can never select an icon or anything in my folders with it so it would seem incompatible...at least I can navigate Tom Tom with the scroll and still enter text....

What version of GarminXT have people purchased for the BJII and how well does it work with the internal GPS???

Guest jyalexop2003
Yes, Garmin does work with the intermediate driver, but I couldn't get it to automatically detect the GPS driver. No matter what, I've always had to launch GPS Test and acquire a signal first.

I thought com4 was needed for other apps like Garmin and thus the modaco hack was required.

From what has been stated I thought only WLS and GMaps worked with the Intermediate Driver.

If GPSTest utility/Intermediate Driver are only required then why use the hack???

Guest evan.oliver
I thought com4 was needed for other apps like Garmin and thus the modaco hack was required.

From what has been stated I thought only WLS and GMaps worked with the Intermediate Driver.

If GPSTest utility/Intermediate Driver are only required then why use the hack???

Garmin has a GPSID setting, and thusly no hack required. As for the people who are reporting 10+ minutes to GPS lock, I can't attest. Mine is 30s - 2min tops. And that's in a moving car. *shrug*

The hack is outmoded anyways, now that the GPSID Settings app has been leaked.

- Evan

Guest jyalexop2003
Garmin has a GPSID setting, and thusly no hack required. As for the people who are reporting 10+ minutes to GPS lock, I can't attest. Mine is 30s - 2min tops. And that's in a moving car. *shrug*

The hack is outmoded anyways, now that the GPSID Settings app has been leaked.

- Evan

So you did not use any hacks (Modaco or the newer GPSID app)?

You only run the GPSTeat utility before using an app with with GPS?

I have tried both the modaco hack and the gpsid app together and seprately. and gpstest cannot seem to find the GPS. It isn't reporting that it cannot find satellites it just cannot find the GPS device (which, of course it would need to find before it could find satellites).

I, of course, have the settings listed above when I use GPSID app: Com4 for application, none for hardware, tried both 9600 and 19200 for baud, and always check the checkbox.

I have tried pointing GPStest at com 4, and also the default (which is to poll all coms through 9). It definately stops at 4 and tried to communicate, but just as definately tries for a while (around 10 to 15 minutes) then decides there is no GPS there.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I have also tried google maps, and it is eternally "initializing GPS" (for more than half an hour).

If someone knows what could be wrong here, please let me know.

Guest thelostsoul

After some personal issues with the GPS and with all that I've been hearing, I've drawn some new conclusions about the GPS and updated my Tips thread with the following:

Getting GPS to work

WARNING: Although it has yet to be determined what the correct method of getting the GPS to work properly is, it is recommended that you only install the following hack ONLY if you know you need to define a COM port. Application such as Google Maps, Windows Live Search, and Garmin Mobile XT all work using the "Intermediate driver. It has been seen that the below hacks can cause the GPS system to fail for no apparent reason.

!!To get GPS working, it seems you will need to hard reset your device until it works!!

1. Turn off your device.

2. Press and hold the UP button on the dpad while turning on the device.

3. When the on-screen instructions appear for formatting your phone, release the UP and power buttons.

4. Press "1" to continue and "Y" to perform the format.

5. Your device will now take a little while longer to start up than normal as it needs to initialize.

6. When you get on your device, launch a GPS application. Whether it be TeleNav or something you need to install first, it doesn't matter. Just as long as it doesn't require a COM port. Ensure the application is configured to "Set by windows," "Set automatically," "Intermediate driver" or something similar.

7. Ensure it acquires a signal. Stand outside if it seems to be taking too long.

8. If it can't get a signal and you are outside with a clear sky for more than 5 to 10 minutes, repeat step 1 to 8 until it acquires a signal.

9. Once it acquires a signal, try not to mess with it too much! Install only the applications you need!

Here are the steps to installing and using a COM port on your device -- ONLY INSTALL IF YOU NEED IT! If the intermediate drivers work, DO NOT MESS WITH THIS!:

0. (preliminary) ENSURE YOUR GPS IS WORKING BEFORE INSTALLING ANY OF THIS! To do this, install an application that uses the intermediate driver, or launch the BJII included GPS Test (the one located in \windows\gpstest.exe). If these fail, the below will likely be a waste of time. Use the above steps to ensure your GPS works!

1. Download and install this

2. Go to Start - GPSID Settings and set it to COM4, none, 38400 and check the "Manage Automatically" button then press Done.

3. Download and install this

Now, prior to running any GPS applications, launch GPS Test and let it acquire a signal.

NOTE: It can take up to 10 minutes to acquire a signal. In most scenarios, it will take around 2 minutes. If outside, it should be faster. Ensure you have a decently clear view of the sky prior to attempting to acquire a signal.

Sed8ed reports that you will likely need to stand outside to obtain any signal at all. I can add that this is likely, and even then it may take a few minutes.

Also, ensure your GPS applications are configured to either "Set my windows" "Intermediate driver" or "COM4"

Guest thelostsoul
There is no GPSTest included in my BJII under \windows. Isn't it a 3rd party software form Chartcross?

There is one, all blackjack IIs have one. By default, it's hidden though. You either need to locate it using ActiveSync's explore on your PC and create a link, or get a new file manager that'll let you show hidden files.

But to help ya out, attached is a zip containing a shortcut to the GPSTest program. Just c/p it to your /windows/start menu folder and you can run it with that.

GPSTestlink.zip

Guest evan.oliver
So you did not use any hacks (Modaco or the newer GPSID app)?

I've tried both. ATM i'm just using the GPSID without either.

You only run the GPSTeat utility before using an app with with GPS?

I don't even do that. I just fire up my GPS app and wait ~30 seconds for it to get sync. every once in a great while after a cold boot for my phone (not every time, either) garmin mobile XT won't find a GPS device on the GPSID and I have to disable GPS, tell it to look at the GPSID, and re-enable. But most of the time it just works. I don't even have a link to GPSTest on my phone.

- Evan

edited: fixed a typo

Edited by evan.oliver

After some personal issues with the GPS and with all that I've been hearing, I've drawn some new conclusions about the GPS and updated my Tips thread with the following:

Thank you, the revised suggestions worked great for me. I managed to get the GPS working with google maps, and using the gpsid utility, with the com4 based GPSTest program. I've been trying to get Nav4All working as well, but it fails (something about not being able ot read the port timeouts?) But at least now I know the GPS is good.

Guest thelostsoul
Thank you, the revised suggestions worked great for me. I managed to get the GPS working with google maps, and using the gpsid utility, with the com4 based GPSTest program. I've been trying to get Nav4All working as well, but it fails (something about not being able ot read the port timeouts?) But at least now I know the GPS is good.

Good to hear. I can confirm though that the current version of Nav4All does not work on the BJII. Haven't figured out why, but it just simply won't work. I'm more interested in a windows version of amazegps though...

Guest ayorika

Works great, confirmed w/settings above mentioned. Now we need piece of software to go w/it. I mean GPS software (No GM no WLS) a GPS soft which doesn't require data plan or anything... anyone knows anything

Edited by ayorika

Guest thelostsoul
Works great, confirmed w/settings above mentioned. Now we need piece of software to go w/it. I mean GPS software (No GM no WLS) a GPS soft which doesn't require data plan or anything... anyone knows anything

Garmin Mobile XT, but it's not free. gpsVP doesn't need a dataplan, but it's really only a map program, not turn-by-turn navigation...

Guest JDMinPDX
Garmin Mobile XT, but it's not free. gpsVP doesn't need a dataplan, but it's really only a map program, not turn-by-turn navigation...

Not sure what went wrong but neither Windows Live is working or Google Maps. This GPS issue really is frustrating. I have tried Windows Live with the GPS Intermediate and COM 4 and it just sits there...and sits there...

With Google Maps, same thing. It says "Seeking GPS satellites (0)" and nothing. It was working just fine earlier today and both programs took no more than about 2 min to get my located.

I too have installed this supposed GPS hack...

Edited by JDMinPDX