CamerAware BETA aka 'CamerAware <hearts> Navizon'

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
camerawarered.png
On the back of my recent post highlighting the fun and real money earning that can be had by driving around with Navizon (see here if you have no idea what i'm talking about!), i'm pleased to announce a BETA release of CamerAware that incorporates Navizon logging functionality!

If you don't know what CamerAware is...

CamerAware is an application that you run on your Pocket PC or Smartphone, which you link up to an external or internal GPS. When the application is running, it'll alert you when you come close to a Speed Camera, thereby giving you a chance to double check your speed, and not get caught :) It has an excellent database of cameras that is updated at least once a month, and is priced at a mere £19.99 for lifetime updates (visit the getting started page for more info). In addition to this base functionality, it can do cool things like updating an online tracker showing your route. The tracking functionality - and the new functionality - is completely FREE, you only pay if you want the Camera database!

So what's new in this version?

This RELEASE CANDIDATE version adds Navizon support, simple as that. You input your Navizon credentials, and as you drive around, it logs cells and access points in the background, which are synced to Navizon when you disconnect. Simple as that! Drive round, be warned of Cameras, earn money. Wupah!

How do I get it?

Simply download and install the CAB / EXE attached to this post, input your CamerAware licence if appropriate, and get going!

Anything else I should know?

Of course! This is a Beta that is going to be frequently updated towards a production Navizon friendly release in the next 2 weeks. Points to note:

- Navizon functionality requires you to explicitly specify your GPS settings
- Navizon sync happens on disconnect, and takes a short while. In future builds, syncs will happen in the background at a regular interval too
- This build requires an internet connection. Future builds will provide a 'sync later' and 'sync manually' option
- Version 3 Beta can co-exist with version 2

Please download and give it a try, feedback is appreciated. Enjoy! :D

P

[Edit: Updated to 3.080408 - see this post for details! - thanks for your testing everyone!]

CAB download (for install on device): http://www.CamerAware.net/cameraware.cab
EXE download (for install via PC): http://www.CamrAware.net/setup.exe

Guest Paul (MVP)

Version 3 was meant to be a much, much more significant release, however the Navizon fun just has to be in CamerAware ASAP!

Navizon tell me all the required API changes are in, so hopefully everything should now work as intended.

P

PS Don't forget to turn WiFi on :)

Guest NuShrike

Is the Navizon data logged to file?

I've encountered way too many instances of the Navizon client itself crashing, hanging, or taking out the entire phone, and the only thing that kept me from chucking it was it logged to file so I didn't just loose all that driving time.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Is the Navizon data logged to file?

I've encountered way too many instances of the Navizon client itself crashing, hanging, or taking out the entire phone, and the only thing that kept me from chucking it was it logged to file so I didn't just loose all that driving time.

CA is using the Navizon API, which uses the Navizon internals, so data is logged to file etc. in exactly the same way. If you run it for a while and check out the CA3 directory, you'll see them in there.

Hopefully this will be much more stable than the Navizon client anyways :)

P

Guest deadphill

Hi Paul

Just downloaded like 5 mins ago. I am running duttys latest new year rom on my device and as with the last version of the beta I put on it, when I go to program files its just not there. It shows briefly on my quick start list but then dissapears.

Every other thing I have installed shows just fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

Phill

Guest deadphill

no its in program files on the storage card.

Just dont get why it wouldnt show in start programs. Every other version bar the beta on this rom has.

Im confused!!! :)

Guest RSVRover
PS Don't forget to turn WiFi on :)

I already have a mortscript that detects connection to my bluetooth car kit and then bumps up the volume to max before starting CamerAware.

Navizon uses an awful lot of power when it's running, so I giess CA3 will use more as it's using WiFi as well. I can update my script to get it to also detect when the phone is externally powered, but I can't find out how to turn on WiFi directly. Does anyone know how to do that?

Perhaps the fact that this is not incorporated into Navizon (or CA3 (yet)) means that it can't be done, but I thought I'd ask in case someone has stumbled upon a solution.

RSVRover

Guest RSVRover
Everytime I use my phone for TomTom/Cameraware, I always plug the power in, so I'm not too bothered if it "use more power". :)

Yes .... I can do that manually, but I'm lazy ... I want it to do everything automatically when I get in my car!

RSVRover

Guest tsutton

Navizon validate via cameraware works great - thanks for adding it. :)

http://www.cameraware.net/upload still missing for terms & conditions (url from Modaco logon details page)

About page shows 2007 - set it to "2007 - 2008"?

Will give it a test on my drive way back home.

PS Don't forget to turn WiFi on

Will auto-on WiFi feature be added in the next release?

Edited by tsutton

Guest Paul (MVP)

Auto-wifi-on, looking into it.

One thing that IS in the next Beta, is that where you normally see 'ACTIVE' (below the colour bar), you'll see 'APS: 1 CELLS: 3' or whatever for a live navizon status view

P

Guest MadMatt2002
I already have a mortscript that detects connection to my bluetooth car kit and then bumps up the volume to max before starting CamerAware.

Navizon uses an awful lot of power when it's running, so I giess CA3 will use more as it's using WiFi as well. I can update my script to get it to also detect when the phone is externally powered, but I can't find out how to turn on WiFi directly. Does anyone know how to do that?

Perhaps the fact that this is not incorporated into Navizon (or CA3 (yet)) means that it can't be done, but I thought I'd ask in case someone has stumbled upon a solution.

RSVRover

Any chance of posting the script? Would be very useful. Currently my script only detects the charging, so it also runs when I charge at the office. Bluetooth is a nice idea!

Thanks

Matthew

Guest Shadowfixeruk
Get the car dock like Paul has.

Just out of interest - what is the car dock that you have Paul?

Cheers

SF.

Edited by Shadowfixeruk

Guest RSVRover
Any chance of posting the script? Would be very useful. Currently my script only detects the charging, so it also runs when I charge at the office. Bluetooth is a nice idea!

Thanks

Matthew

No problem

Create a script file with the following contents ( I use \My Documents\My Scripts\autocameraware.mscr):-

RunCheck	= 0
Application = "\Storage Card\Program Files\CamerAware 3\CamerAware3.exe"
WindowName = "CamerAware"

While (1)
HandsFreeState = RegRead("HKLM", "System\State\Hardware", "Handsfree")
If (HandsFreeState = 1 && RunCheck = 0)
ToggleDisplay(1)
SetVolume 255
Run (Application)
RunCheck = 1

EndIf

If (HandsFreeState = 0 && RunCheck = 1)
If (wndExists (WindowName))
Close(WindowName)

EndIf

SetVolume 100
RunCheck = 0

EndIf

Sleep (5000)
EndWhile[/codebox]

Then create a shortcut to that file in \Windows\Startup.

Soft reset.

RSVRover

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.