CamerAware BETA aka 'CamerAware <hearts> Navizon'

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest opsman05
camerawarered.png
On the back of my recent post highlighting the fun and real money earning that can be had by driving around with Navizon (see here if you have no idea what i'm talking about!), i'm pleased to announce a BETA release of CamerAware that incorporates Navizon logging functionality!

If you don't know what CamerAware is...

CamerAware is an application that you run on your Pocket PC or Smartphone, which you link up to an external or internal GPS. When the application is running, it'll alert you when you come close to a Speed Camera, thereby giving you a chance to double check your speed, and not get caught :rolleyes: It has an excellent database of cameras that is updated at least once a month, and is priced at a mere £19.99 for lifetime updates (visit the getting started page for more info). In addition to this base functionality, it can do cool things like updating an online tracker showing your route. The tracking functionality - and the new functionality - is completely FREE, you only pay if you want the Camera database!

So what's new in this version?

This RELEASE CANDIDATE version adds Navizon support, simple as that. You input your Navizon credentials, and as you drive around, it logs cells and access points in the background, which are synced to Navizon when you disconnect. Simple as that! Drive round, be warned of Cameras, earn money. Wupah!

How do I get it?

Simply download and install the CAB / EXE attached to this post, input your CamerAware licence if appropriate, and get going!

Anything else I should know?

Of course! This is a Beta that is going to be frequently updated towards a production Navizon friendly release in the next 2 weeks. Points to note:

- Navizon functionality requires you to explicitly specify your GPS settings

- Navizon sync happens on disconnect, and takes a short while. In future builds, syncs will happen in the background at a regular interval too

- This build requires an internet connection. Future builds will provide a 'sync later' and 'sync manually' option

- Version 3 Beta can co-exist with version 2

Please download and give it a try, feedback is appreciated. Enjoy! :)

P

[Edit: Updated to 3.080408 - see this post for details! - thanks for your testing everyone!]

CAB download (for install on device): http://www.CamerAware.net/cameraware.cab

EXE download (for install via PC): http://www.CamrAware.net/setup.exe

If you don't want to use the tracking facility can you run cameraware just to get camera alertas without needing to use a GPRS connection?

• 3 months later...
Guest nichop

I've just started using CamerAware for tracking and its great. Is there any way to reduce the frequency of uploads ? I'm going to be travelling around Europe and the data costs will soon mount up if uploading every minute.

Guest nvr2fast
Navizon just clamped down. You can only earn a max of ONE reward ($10 - Paypal fees), unless you pay them $25 for a premium account, or $10 + 10K points.

Well, this was a nice run, but not that enticing anymore.

Well honestly, I just did the upgrade, and now I'm onto earning real $.

The exact same economics are there. Instead now you are delayed by 20k points.

I'm guessing that you used to be able to earn $ from the very start and continue to make $. NOW, they give you the option... either convery your initial points into $ the first time and that is it (so you only ever make $10 from them, which to me sounds short sighted), or use your points to upgrade the first time (I cant remember if I had to use the 10k points or 20k points, but whatever it was, I think it was equal to the $10 I would've been able to get) and from then on, you make UNLIMITED $$. This sounds like the smart move unless I'm never going to use it again.

Keep in mind, once you upgrade, you got a lot of other features enabled too, like the Geofencing function (get an email/sms when you enter/exit a certain area...) and things like that. I don't have the entire list but you can see it yourself at navizon.com

So to me, upgrading to the Pro or Premium version was the smart move, didnt cost me anything, and simply meant making real $ was pushed back by 10k points (which took me about a week to get, and I think I only drove around twice during then). I then also got geofencing and other functions enabled too, which I actually find useful (if you leave a mobile in the car, try geofencing it so that if it moves out of that area you are emailed/smsed immediately... just so you know if the kids/friends/family/thief are taking your car out for a spin). So the upgrade was worth it anyway.

I just hope they remain financially viable. If you look on their frontpage they say they hooked up with Yahoo to lease them their locational database or something... so I'm hoping they're making some sweet $ from that. But so far so good!

Dont forget to use the referral code at the beginning of the post... doesn't cost u a dime and you support an admin and this site!

• 1 month later...
Guest posterus

I'm sorry but i just want to get this straight, this is free? and the only thing i have to pay for is the Navizon if i want the camera database?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.