CamerAware BETA aka 'CamerAware <hearts> Navizon'

Guest PaulOBrien

Paul,

Now that I've got it all setup correctly, I've got GPS Gate running with Navizon, using my Bluetooth GPS unit connected to the XDA Trion (WM6 Pro.) and ALSO CamerAware 3 beta running on an imate SP5 (WM5 SP) which is using the same Bluetooth GPS receiver as the Trion, shared via GPS Gate!

I remember hearing you say that you kept a Bluetooth GPS receiver "covertly" stashed in your boot so I've got mine permanently plugged into the "cigar lighter" 12v accessory socket in the boot of my Vectra estate, with it sitting on the rear side window sill :-)

Now that I've got GPS Gate working I can, in theory, get a couple more handsets with different operators' SIM cards if I want to be earning maximum points on every journey I suppose ;-)

By the way, Beta testing wise - CA3 seems to be working impeccably now - the only problem I have noticed lately is that it has "hung" on exit a couple of times, I think because I switched the GPS (or the GPS Gate/hosting handset) off before exiting CA3. This seemed to cause it to just sit with the wheel spinning indefinitely until I soft reset over an hour later both times.

The only other negative comment I have about CA3 is that sometimes it seems to take much longer to exit than others (not necessarily when it's got a lot of Navizon data to upload either).

Hope this helps. I'm really looking forward to the next release! Keep up the good work! :)

BB

Guest ray951xxx

I have been attempting to run both the Navizon and CA3 software on my O2 Graphite with WM6 without success.

When either application switches on the wifi the phone service is switched off automatically, although it is still shown as 'On' in the Wireless Manager app.

If I go and switch the phone service off and on in Wireless Manager after loading CA3 then I can run CA3 but it does not find any cells. Is this because I have switched the phone off and on while CA3 is running or is there some other issue?

Any suggestions gratefully received, other than get a new phone :)

I managed to run Navizon on wifi only and get the sum total of 4 points!

It would be great if either Navizon or CA3 had the option to not switch the wifi on automatically because I could then find the cell towers one day and the AP's on the reverse journey.

PS Paul I have refereed you on my Navizon account but as I currently have only 4 points this won't be much use :D

Guest Paul (MVP)
I remember hearing you say that you kept a Bluetooth GPS receiver "covertly" stashed in your boot so I've got mine permanently plugged into the "cigar lighter" 12v accessory socket in the boot of my Vectra estate, with it sitting on the rear side window sill :-)

By the way, Beta testing wise - CA3 seems to be working impeccably now - the only problem I have noticed lately is that it has "hung" on exit a couple of times, I think because I switched the GPS (or the GPS Gate/hosting handset) off before exiting CA3. This seemed to cause it to just sit with the wheel spinning indefinitely until I soft reset over an hour later both times.

The only other negative comment I have about CA3 is that sometimes it seems to take much longer to exit than others (not necessarily when it's got a lot of Navizon data to upload either).

My GPS in the boot is completely covert, you can't find it unless you really look for it! It gets a great fix, even without a clear view of the sky :)

CA3, my next stage is to look at ways to let CA recover if Navizon 'crashes' during it's final sync up, I think in the next build it should be a lot better. I'm also going to look at how to speed up shutdown, although again, it should be much improved in the new release!

P

Guest ray951xxx
So have you got it finding any cells at all on the graphite? Did you install the cert CAB it tells you to too when you download OTA?

P

No cells at all and I did install the cert CAB

OK peeps, so pending some final drive testing, the new Beta build should be released tomorrow.

New and improved in this version

- Completely rearchitected Navizon integration internally. This is to help reliability, simplify updates and to tidy up code. It has to come out of Beta some time you know :)

- Big chunk of memory is no longer consumed after exit, when you exit, it's completely gone (sorry about that, wasn't clearing out the Navizon object fully!)

- Navizon automatic sync can be completely disabled now, and sync will only take place when manually invoked

- When automatic sync is enabled, sync will happen every 10 minutes as well as on disconnect

- More meaningful feedback in log window

- (Switchable) auto night mode. CA will switch to night mode at sunset, and to day mode at sunrise, calculated based on your current GPS position

- Menu tidy up

Watch this space :D

P

Excellent Paul - the above list sounds great! :D

I really like the auto night mode - cool idea!

Also, the disabling of auto sync is something I asked you about before so I'll be glad to see that (see below for my reason).

One question though - will we be able to use our WiFi connections, when connected, to upload/sync the Navizon data? I always use WiFi to carry out CamerAware updates because I've only got a PAYG SIM in my handset which runs CA so it saves paying for the data :D

Looking forward to trying it :D

BB

NEW POINTS SYSTEM.....looks like it is effective tomorrow

WiFi AP discovered by you: 3 Points

Cell Tower discovered by you: 15 Points

Wifi already mapped: 1 Point

Cell tower already mapped: 2 Points

so I guess it is good to be ALONE in your city?

Guest NuShrike

I guess we've (or Paul has) been raping them for too much money at this point :)

What was the point system before for comparison? Something like 2 for WiFi, 10 for Cell?

Edited by NuShrike

Guest Paul (MVP)
Excellent Paul - the above list sounds great! :D

I really like the auto night mode - cool idea!

Also, the disabling of auto sync is something I asked you about before so I'll be glad to see that (see below for my reason).

One question though - will we be able to use our WiFi connections, when connected, to upload/sync the Navizon data? I always use WiFi to carry out CamerAware updates because I've only got a PAYG SIM in my handset which runs CA so it saves paying for the data :)

Looking forward to trying it :D

BB

Yes, you'll be able to upload via WiFi. Just don't do the upload until your WiFi is connected.

Incidentally, i've now worked out how to only turn on/off WiFi if it wasn't already on, so that's cool too :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

WiFi AP discovered by you: 3 Points

Cell Tower discovered by you: 15 Points

Wifi already mapped: 1 Point

Cell tower already mapped: 2 Points

I assume you still can't map a site more than once.

Hmmm...

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm hopeful that there's not THAT many people logging with Navizon for these to have a huge impact. Heck, we could come off better in some cases?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Just added

- only turn off wifi if we were the ones that turned it on

- when 'navizon stats' is the display mode, also display a points total

A few tweaks and a drive test and we could be ready to release the new Beta. Hurrah!

P

Guest NuShrike
Just added

A few tweaks and a drive test and we could be ready to release the new Beta. Hurrah!

Hazzah! The list of fixes from previous and current post point to a much better client than ever! :)

Guest dr_nick
Just added

P

excellent work paul!

i might actually stay awake in anticipation of this! (am on nights atm...)

Guest dr_nick
lol, I don't know for sure how long it'll be (I need to drive test yet, still tweaking the code), so don't stay awake on my account :D

P

d'oh - but i wont be able to sleep with the excitement!!

i wonder if my new tytnII will be able to get a gps signal on the train to london tomorrow (my rikaline BT GPS couldn't previously) - if so, could log some serious points to essex and back :)

can hardly wait (i know - is very sad thing, but this rather appeals to the techy collector in me!)

happy, healthy thoughts

dr_nick

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've tracked a train journey using CamerAware before, although for Navizon points log better at low speeds!

Schedule: Lunch, Podcast recording, test drive, post new version :)

P

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Just added

P

Thats great ... I was just about to ask if we could have the option added not to turn wifi off! But thats even better solution!

I think the CA3 is a great app, even after only installing it yesterday!

Paul ... regarding your GPS in the boot ... is it wired or bluetooth? I'm keen to do similar, and also have the Vario III. But need to change my car before I get a Brodit mount ... which could potentially have the GPS cabled in I believe.

Guest dr_nick

there are 378389 points logged on my selected route from southampton to chelmsford through london already... (mostly in london of course!)

might be nice to get some of these logged, even if for the new REDUCED rate :D :)

dr_nick

Guest dr_nick
I've tracked a train journey using CamerAware before, although for Navizon points log better at low speeds!

Schedule: Lunch, Podcast recording, test drive, post new version :D

P

slow speeds shouldnt be a problem on the train...!

and you can skip lunch, surely?! :)

might just get some sleep then instead of hitting refresh twice a minute....

caffeinated dr_nick

Guest Paul (MVP)
Thats great ... I was just about to ask if we could have the option added not to turn wifi off! But thats even better solution!

I think the CA3 is a great app, even after only installing it yesterday!

Paul ... regarding your GPS in the boot ... is it wired or bluetooth? I'm keen to do similar, and also have the Vario III. But need to change my car before I get a Brodit mount ... which could potentially have the GPS cabled in I believe.

It's a bluetooth one, one of these I believe:

http://www.semsons.com/qsbtblgpsre31.html

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.