I780 + Locked GPS

Guest J273

As anyone managed to get hold of one of these yet?

Ive heard they're available through the orange business site..Im waiting on the sim free model though.

One thing i have heard is the GPS is locked on the i780 the same as it was with the BJ2.

I hope its not true though as that would be a big disappointment for me.

Its through the orange business site...But ive heard a few people have it already.

Its meant to be officially available today though.

Edited by J273

• 3 weeks later...
Guest graystoke

yep. me too. took delivery of Orange i780 yesterday, and Samsung tech support tell me today they have no training on this device yet, haven't received one for testing, and don't know how to enable GPS. Orange tech tell me that the model shipped to me does not actually have built-in GPS, and I will need to buy an additional GPS receiver, even though I do have A-GPS code on the phone, so it should work better than standard GPS.

whoooops!

i was really hoping for built-in GPS.

to be continued ....

Guest vbijelovic

Hi Guys!

Got my Samsung i780 2 days ago and so far really loving the form factor, the fact that its so thin and light (I sent a few photos to Coolsmartphone a couple of days ago for those who are interested to see it) but am REALLY frustrated by failure to get the GPS working (trueno, could you pls tell me your GPS settings within Google maps?) and even more frustrated with the crappy Orange ROM. Could anyone give me an idea of whether it is possible to make HardSPL type thing for the i780 as I have til Monday to decide whether I am keeping it (and I really love it - but need to put on a diff ROM!)

Thanks!

You orderd one paul?

Im currently waiting for them to come in stock...hopefully it'll be tomorrow.

vbijelovic ,Do you have any piccys of the menu items.....Im guessing its like the m700?

I plan on selling mine on as soon as the sim free models available.

Edited by J273

Guest Paul (MVP)

Nope, Orange PR are trying to get me one. I won't hold my breath tho :D

Don't think i'll buy one as I didn't really like the joystick, although i'm willing to give it a longer try, and I know you guys will want a de-brander :)

P

Guest vbijelovic

Hi all!

I am thrilled by how efficient you are at replying! :-) Ok, I will gladly take some photos of the menu though I don't know where to post them - perhaps one of you can PM me or I can email you the photos? Thank Paul, if I know that you will spend some time with the phone once you get it, then I am not worried about keeping it - as long as I know that cooking ROMs and unlocking will be possible. So le me know what you want photos - if anything else than the menu items

Guest vbijelovic
Thanks....yeah i see what you mean....same as the m700.

Yup! Same old... unresponsive ROM!

But I am lovingthe phone and (to Paul) - the "mouse" took only acouple of hours to get used to - it now feels so right! Initially I tried it, turned it into the Dpad and then changed back as even after half an hour I felt I missed the functionality! Because its a touch screen, combined with the mouse and buttons, I am pretty sure I will be able to reach similar menu using speed as with the Tytn. If you want any files dumped to try and play around with anything, let me know. Paul, when do you reckon you will be getting yours?

Edited by vbijelovic

Guest vbijelovic

Well just a little update - I was also having problems with the GPS and then it just worked (google maps that is, as well as GPStest) - but not before I reset Google maps. Settings are left as Windows ones but its COM4 and 4800

Guest craighome
What you guys thinking to the i780?

Thanks

Did you find the correct GPS settings, I'm keen to try getting tomtom and google maps working on mine. Explanation of how to set it up appreciated. Thanks

for tomtom to work...ive heard you need an app called GPSGATE which creates a virtual comm port thats visable to tomtom.

I believe thats the only way to get tomtom working.

Guest vbijelovic

Hi guys!

I am really loving the phone - its so thin and light, and the battery does a day comfortably (I didn't expect this to be the case). I am wondering if anyone (Paul in particular) has also got one - and any tips/cooked ROM/unlocking suggestions?

Guest mickliq

vbijelovic,

Cool pics but it seems like the 320 x 320 resolution is totally wasted?!? I only see 3 rows of Icons in the Programs screens...so everything is just larger but otherwise the same as a 240 x 240 screen (blech!).

I guess inside a browser or something like Outlook you actually get to use that Real Estate. I also didn't realize the display isn't as big as the glass (where the Orange screened on logo is looks like part of the display when it's not lit)...disappointing.

This is the first handset i believe though to use the 320 x 320 res

So as soon as apps support and make use of the 320 x 320 its not going to be any different to 240 x 240 say on the treo 750.

Edited by J273