ROM update released for T-Mobile Shadow

Guest ikaikam

Guest badbob001

C'mon, no one is willing to bric... uh, enhance their shadow for the sake of the community? :)

All these enhancements are things you should be able to just download so I bet tmo is using them as a carrot to get users to download the upgrade to fix the real issues. The rom file (ruu_signed.nbh) is dated 1/28/2008.

Guest Bipin Sen
C'mon, no one is willing to bric... uh, enhance their shadow for the sake of the community? :)

All these enhancements are things you should be able to just download so I bet tmo is using them as a carrot to get users to download the upgrade to fix the real issues. The rom file (ruu_signed.nbh) is dated 1/28/2008.

Just finished updating. Went without any hitches. Now back to customizing and reinstalling programs. Good thing I've had lots of practice with my SDA and WM6.

The BIGGEST thing I was looking for was the splitting of Text/Multimedia messages into separate categories. I personally like that better. No change in that here. The pics are OK, and this is your dream ROM if you're a fan of Avril Lavigne or Dave Mathews Band (one song each included).

Still playing with it... Maybe others can chime in as they find things.

Guest badbob001

I suspect the text input enhancement is related to the issue where you couldn't set something other than XT9 as the default input.

I wonder if they updated the email setup wizard to use gmail imap instead of pop3.

Can't wait to brick my shadow tonight! :) I had already hard-reset it a few weeks ago since I was getting the screen-won't-turn-off and continuous-searching-for-signal issues.

Guest Bipin Sen
Is it just me or has the Edge icon disappeared? Hmmm.. there's a registry setting for that I think...

Yep. Hard reset, and still nothing. No "E" to tell me what coverage I have. But when I access the GPRS network, then I see the little E by the signal strength bars.

Guest chriaxx

c, 123The only real diffrence I have noticed so far is that the "e" icon is finally gone, and that when writing a text message there is a menu choice of writing options. They are: t9 English, abc, 123, symbols, Language, t9 My Words, t9 settings, and about t9. I could do with out the stupid music and backgrounds and I do nothave my favs so not sure what improvements are made to that.

Guest aron7awol

Those of you who have already upgraded:

Check your registry and see if HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL\EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon is set to 1.

I haven't upgraded yet and I can confirm that the original ROM has this value set to 1. If yours is 0, try changing it to 1 and reboot your phone.

Let me know if this works.

Edit: In case the value isn't there by default, it is a DWORD value.

Edited by aron7awol

Those of you who have already upgraded:

Check your registry and see if HKLM\Drivers\BuiltIn\RIL\EnableDifferGprsEdgeIcon is set to 1.

I haven't upgraded yet and I can confirm that the original ROM has this value set to 1. If yours is 0, try changing it to 1 and reboot your phone.

Let me know if this works.

Edit: In case the value isn't there by default, it is a DWORD value.

It is set to 1 but still not "E" in the iconbar.

Guest badbob001

Did the upgrade. Here is what I see so far:

about:

CE OS 5.2.1711 build 18165.0.5.0 -> 5.2.1711 build 18170.0.5.1

Radio: 4.1.13.47_03.04.90 -> 4.1.13.56_03.17.90

Ril Version 2.002 -> no change

CE Rom Update Versions: 5.2.1711.18165 -> 5.2.1711.18170

Device Information:

Rom Version 1.03.531.4 -> 1.11.531.5

In messaging:

added: audio postcards

email setup: right-softkey has 'hide setup' to make the email setup section go away. Yes!

Internet:

added: Driving Instructions (via windows live app)

Config:

Task Manager icon changed and renamed to 'Improve Performance'. Still go to the same task manager as before.

Manage connections: 'on' icons have a glow look to them so it's easier to see what's on and off.

Noticed that the device seems more aggressive in dimming the backlight. Went to power management and noticed this change:

Display Timeout on Battery 10, 25*, 30, 1 min, ...

25 is the default. I think the lowest before was 30.

Also noticed that in the Slide and Keylock section:

Hang up mode: close keyboard or End key

I believe the previous default was 'End key'

Camera is in portrait mode with portrait interface. Yes! Not sure if I can re-enable the landscape interface. Camera software version: 5.3 (build 29864) copyright 2000-2008. Doesn't seem to matter if I press the camera button with the slider opened or closed.

XT9 is renamed to T9 English.

That's all for now. So it's not just a slap on of some ringtones and sounds. The os and radio firmware is newer.

Other things that don't work:

1- Camera is now portrait. I like better landscape so I tried to use the "camera portrait hack" (change the keys back to landscape) and it doesn't work.

2- Panoramic Mode not longer work. When you try to take pictures using panoramic mode it uses portrait pictures for the stitches but when you see the final result it shows all the stitches in landscape mode, so they don't match!

Guest Bipin Sen
It is set to 1 but still not "E" in the iconbar.

In some previous upgrades I've done, this has sometimes been caused by the Radio ROM. Maybe that's what happened here. Unless there are some other experts who can figure out what's going on...

In some previous upgrades I've done, this has sometimes been caused by the Radio ROM. Maybe that's what happened here. Unless there are some other experts who can figure out what's going on...

It works now. I guess you have to wait for 30-40 mins for it to show up...

Guest Bipin Sen
It works now. I guess you have to wait for 30-40 mins for it to show up...

Really? Weird again. It's probably been three hours since my upgrade and no "E". I never thought I'd miss a vowel that much. :)

Got the update installed...thought the shadow froze up when powered back up!! :) It took a few minutes for the thing to boot up. When it did, all was well. Now just need to re-install all my goodies. :D

post-333445-1202342758_thumb.jpg

just did the update.........its ok i mean nothing special.

the phone does a little faster, and i mean a little!

the startup/shutdown takes a little while longer i think. but thats because i havent edited out the startup/shutdown animations.

on the fist startup after the update it took forever to start! just connected it to my charger and went out for a snack lol.

im getting ready to take a look at the registry for any changes. i know there is a davematthews.cab file on there and i cant wait to leak it to other people who didnt do the update lol.

heres how it went.

1)connect phone, did the update (took like 5 minutes)

2)phone turns on takes 10 minutes before configuration screen shows up

3)configeration screen on for a good 5 minutes the the cold boot config menu comes on for another 5 minutes

4)phone reboots......:D

5)startup goes faster lol (its normal but it feels faster after waiting)

6)main menu!!!!!

EDIT:

upon closer look of the phone update:

1)communication manager is cooler

2)improved texting

3)major speed improvement

and for anyone that doesnt already know, microsoft also updated their windows live search feature :) so thats 2 updates today! im glad i made the update, its pretty cool

7)all messages, contacts, etc not saved on phone is deleted and i forgot to make a backup (make sure you do) oh and that waterfall is your homescreen wallpaper lol

on the possitive, the phones feels alot faster

Edited by Midian

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.