Touch Cruise - O2 HSDPA

Guest Appetite4

Guest Appetite4

I have just obtained a sim for my Touch Cruise from O2. I allowed the Cruise to configure itself for O2.

Although the handset says it is connecting to HSDPA and I am in a 'good' HSDPA coverage area according to O2's own coverage map I am only able to get 120kbps data transfers. (Using dslreports/mspeed). By comparison the same handset was achieving 500-600kbps with Tmob (and I was unhappy that Tmob seem unable to improve on that since I used to get over 1mb when I first had the contract on a Vario II).

Calls to O2 have so far met with:-

"we have no HSDPSA/3.5G network"

"we do have the network but it must be congested in your area" (S London)

"we do have the network but none of our sims are compatible with it yet"

Does anyone with an Orbit 2 (or a Stellar for that matter) have any suggestions/advise on how to get HSDPA speeds out of O2?

...or a complaints phone number since they are only able to offer me a snail mail address.

Thanks

Paul.

I have just obtained a sim for my Touch Cruise from O2. I allowed the Cruise to configure itself for O2.

Although the handset says it is connecting to HSDPA and I am in a 'good' HSDPA coverage area according to O2's own coverage map I am only able to get 120kbps data transfers. (Using dslreports/mspeed). By comparison the same handset was achieving 500-600kbps with Tmob (and I was unhappy that Tmob seem unable to improve on that since I used to get over 1mb when I first had the contract on a Vario II).

Calls to O2 have so far met with:-

"we have no HSDPSA/3.5G network"

"we do have the network but it must be congested in your area" (S London)

"we do have the network but none of our sims are compatible with it yet"

Does anyone with an Orbit 2 (or a Stellar for that matter) have any suggestions/advise on how to get HSDPA speeds out of O2?

...or a complaints phone number since they are only able to offer me a snail mail address.

Thanks

Paul.

See my post in the Stellar forum about exactly the same problem - although customer services told me there was no reason I should not be getting it and to phone back if it did not improve.

Guest Appetite4
See my post in the Stellar forum about exactly the same problem - although customer services told me there was no reason I should not be getting it and to phone back if it did not improve.

Thanks crazyc - found yours after I posted mine. Have now emailed O2 Complaint Review Service to see what they have to say.....

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest apemonkeyman

So far I have been unable to get anything faster than Edge on my tariff upgrade Orbit 2. I phoned O2 & despite me telling them that I am well within the area covered according to their HSDPA map, they told me I was in a low signal area. My response was to ask why on earth they bother with colouring this area purple on the map if it is a lie.

A couple of days ago, a colleague got an Orbit 2 as a completely new O2 personal contract. He checked out the data coverage outdoors & found HSDPA (didn't check the bandwidth though)... I tried in the same area, again only getting Edge.

This time I called O2 suggesting a SIM problem since my SIM is about 3 years old. Sure enough they checked & found my SIM to be non-3G enabled. I have a new one on the way in the post.

When it arrives I'll check my bandwidth & let you know how I get on.

Guest Confucious

Other posts have said that personal customers on O2 are restricted to 120kbs - regardless of wether you have HSDPA or not.

I believe it is different if you are on a business contract...

Guest andrewkeith5

from my experience o2 are terrible at 3g

the people in the aylesbury shop seem determined that HSDPA coverage is precisely the same as their GPRS coverage...which i know for a fact is bull as none of my friends with 3g phones get even 3g in my area with o2

roll on decent network infrastructures and customer services who know what their products do :D