Increasing speed of internet on laptop when using internet sharing

Guest 246810

Currently, when I connect my laptop to the internet via internet sharing through bluetooth, I notice the maximum speed I can get is only 1mbs, even when I'm getting HSPDA which is meant to allow me to reach speeds of 3.6mbs.

Is there a solution to increase internet speed?

Guest NuShrike
Currently, when I connect my laptop to the internet via internet sharing through bluetooth, I notice the maximum speed I can get is only 1mbs, even when I'm getting HSPDA which is meant to allow me to reach speeds of 3.6mbs.

You can switch to USB which has a higher transfer ceiling. However, 3.6Mbps is only theoretical.. Are you sure your carrier can actually supports transferring at maximum theoretical speeds? You can test this by running some download benchmark directly from your Kaiser through PIE.

My carrier has a crappy back-haul so even though the air-interface should be that fast, they only support max of 800Kbps-down in general usage.

You can switch to USB which has a higher transfer ceiling. However, 3.6Mbps is only theoretical.. Are you sure your carrier can actually supports transferring at maximum theoretical speeds? You can test this by running some download benchmark directly from your Kaiser through PIE.

My carrier has a crappy back-haul so even though the air-interface should be that fast, they only support max of 800Kbps-down in general usage.

Thanks- I've done that. The reason why I've been using internet sharing via bluetooth is because I can charge my phone at the same time, as bluetooth will drain my battery pretty quick.

In Maplins (electronic store) they sell an adaptor which you you can charge your phone via your laptop, through the USB slot. I will be buying this in future.

I've currently switched to internet connection via USB, and I do notice a difference. When I actually click on the status of my connection, I'm told my connection speed is 10mbs, which is odd also. It doesn't feel that fast, and i'm not officially meant to get those speeds.

But yes, I'm on tmobile and they've advertised numerously that you can get speeds of 3.6mbps

Edited by 246810

Thanks- I've done that. The reason why I've been using internet sharing via bluetooth is because I can charge my phone at the same time, as bluetooth will drain my battery pretty quick.

In Maplins (electronic store) they sell an adaptor which you you can charge your phone via your laptop, through the USB slot. I will be buying this in future.

Err.. You do realise the cable included with the Kaiser is a USB cable that charges your phone as well as passing data through it? As do all USB cables...

I've currently switched to internet connection via USB, and I do notice a difference. When I actually click on the status of my connection, I'm told my connection speed is 10mbs, which is odd also. It doesn't feel that fast, and i'm not officially meant to get those speeds.

Yes, because USB is 10mpbs. That's the speed of the piece of wire between the two devices, not of the internet. It's like when you plug in an ethernet network cable into your computer between your broadband router at home: Your adsl is only 8mb, but the cable is 100mb, so it shows as being connected at 100mb.

Err.. You do realise the cable included with the Kaiser is a USB cable that charges your phone as well as passing data through it? As do all USB cables...

Ummm...I didn’t know that. Wheres my dunce hat, Lozzd?

That prior comment was written with a heavy dose of sarcasm lol. I do realise that the cable that came in the pack allows me to charge my phone.

What I meant was that there is only one usb slot on your Kaiser- therefore you can either charge your phone or connect your phone to your laptop- but not at the same time

Because I can’t charge and connect my phone to my laptop at the same time, I need a way to circumvent this, as using USB to internet share will drain my battery. The maplin charger I mentioned will allow me to charge my phone and connect my phone to my laptop bia USB at the same time

Yes, because USB is 10mpbs. That's the speed of the piece of wire between the two devices, not of the internet. It's like when you plug in an ethernet network cable into your computer between your broadband router at home: Your adsl is only 8mb, but the cable is 100mb, so it shows as being connected at 100mb.

Aaaahhh... I see. Thanks for explaining that. What internet speed do you think I’m roughly getting then?

Ummm...I didn’t know that. Wheres my dunce hat, Lozzd?

That prior comment was written with a heavy dose of sarcasm lol. I do realise that the cable that came in the pack allows me to charge my phone.

What I meant was that there is only one usb slot on your Kaiser- therefore you can either charge your phone or connect your phone to your laptop- but not at the same time

Incorrect. Every single USB device can get power and data at the same time; how do you think your webcam etc gets power? Go to Start -> Settings -> Power -> Advanced Tab and ensure "When device is turn on, do not charge the battery when connected to the PC" is not turned on.

Because I can’t charge and connect my phone to my laptop at the same time, I need a way to circumvent this, as using USB to internet share will drain my battery. The maplin charger I mentioned will allow me to charge my phone and connect my phone to my laptop bia USB at the same time

So yeah, the same thing goes down two cables. Using internet sharing whilst plugged in via USB should not drain your battery, unless your USB ports aren't providing enough power.

Aaaahhh... I see. Thanks for explaining that. What internet speed do you think I’m roughly getting then?

No idea. The highest I've ever seen was on a half signal HSPDA connection in the middle of no where (so no congestion) which was 1.3 megabit/second.

Edited by lozzd

Incorrect. Every single USB device can get power and data at the same time; how do you think your webcam etc gets power? Go to Start -> Settings -> Power -> Advanced Tab and ensure "When device is turn on, do not charge the battery when connected to the PC" is not turned on.

Umm.. Lozard, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Are those steps you've given to be repeated on the phone or my laptop?

Edited by 246810

Oh, I get what you mean now. However, the box has remained unticked since the begining, yet my battery is still draining slowly when its connected via USB

Okay, I guess the first thing to do is double check your phone is actually charging when its plugged into the computer. If it says it's charging but actually discharging I guess your laptop doesn't have enough power from its USB ports to keep up with the phone thrasing away downloading data :D

I've charged mine (albeit it very slowly) using the usb connection from my laptop on the train before. Slow, but it was going up, not down :)

Guest travellingwithoutmoving
Okay, I guess the first thing to do is double check your phone is actually charging when its plugged into the computer. If it says it's charging but actually discharging I guess your laptop doesn't have enough power from its USB ports to keep up with the phone thrasing away downloading data :D

I've charged mine (albeit it very slowly) using the usb connection from my laptop on the train before. Slow, but it was going up, not down :)

Erm, I think it's possible that the laptop doesn't have power to the USB ports at all? I know an older thinkpad of mine only had power to one of the three ports...

I've done as you instructed to no avail

Erm, I think it's possible that the laptop doesn't have power to the USB ports at all? I know an older thinkpad of mine only had power to one of the three ports...

I think this is the case with my laptop. My laptop certainly is not a cheap laptop- its windows Vista bought only a few months ago and cost £900, comes with an internal remote control, and is Intel Centrino Duo technology; yet I know for a fact it won't allow me to charge my phone through its USB socket...

I think this is the case with my laptop. My laptop certainly is not a cheap laptop- its windows Vista bought only a few months ago and cost £900, comes with an internal remote control, and is Intel Centrino Duo technology; yet I know for a fact it won't allow me to charge my phone through its USB socket...

That wouldn't happen to be a Dell would it? Curious as it sounds a bit like one that I want... :)

I would go with what "travellingwithoutmoving" said... It sounds much like there is no power at all. I would read the manual for your laptop and see what it says regarding power..

That wouldn't happen to be a Dell would it? Curious as it sounds a bit like one that I want... :)

I would go with what "travellingwithoutmoving" said... It sounds much like there is no power at all. I would read the manual for your laptop and see what it says regarding power..

No, its a HP DV2500 laptop. Looks like I may have to dig up my manual afterall...

No, its a HP DV2500 laptop, 14.1 inches. Looks like I may have to dig up my manual afterall...

Ah okay, sorry, being nosey about laptops :D

I think the manual may be the way to go. On the upside, all manuals are available as PDF nowadays, so take a look online and get the instant fantastic ability to be able to search without thumbing your way through it! :)

Lozzd, you were correct.

I've noticed that whilst using my Kaiser to share its internet on my laptop, the battery life has actually increased over time!

To think that I never noticed. Sometimes the Kaiser does use more energy than is supplied to it when using internet sharing via USB, and thats why the battery sometimes dies. However, my laptop certainly is charging my Kaiser!

• 1 year later...
Guest lalitha7

Hi,

you first clear the cookies then restart..After that u can check the speed test here http://www.ip-details.com/