Pocket SNES Tutorial

Guest Athenon

Guest Athenon

Ok guys, my first post. I've scoured the site trying to get pocket SNES to work, and I've done it....easily no less (yes, I have a Samsung Blackjack II). It works fine, my only reccomendation is that if you're going to run sound, overclock your phone and it will run almost totally smooth for at least some games.

Ok, tutorial.

0) When you download PocketSNES, DO NOT download PocketSNES.rar. Download PocketSNES153.rar or it WILL NOT WORK.

1) Download PocketSNES here: http://www.modaco.com/content/Smartphone-S...ocketSNES-1-53/

2) Download tgetfile.dll here (it's a direct download link): http://tillanosoft.com/anonymous_ftp/pub/ce/tgfdllsp50e.zip

3) Connect your phone to your computer and make sure its recognized in activesync.

4) Install tgetfile.dll on your phone by running the installer ON YOUR COMPUTER.

5) Copy Pocketsnes.exe to your phone (I reccomend a folder called SNES)

6) Copy ROMs to your phone in the same folder as Pocketsnes.exe. (do not ask for places to get roms or anything of the sort)

7) Run Pocketsnes.exe on your phone and have fun...you have just EASILY gotten pocketsnes to work on your Blackjack II :)

Note: DO NOT use My Stuff to run pocketsnes as it will not work. Instead, go into applications and open "File Explorer". Explore to the location, and once you have pocketsnes.exe highlighted, press the center of the "scroll wheel".

I hope this helps at least someone!

Edited by Athenon

Guest su6oxone
Ok guys, my first post. I've scoured the site trying to get pocket SNES to work, and I've done it....easily no less (yes, I have a Samsung Blackjack II). It works fine, my only reccomendation is that if you're going to run sound, overclock your phone and it will run almost totally smooth for at least some games.

Um... how crucial is it to overclock your BJ2? Asking b/c I don't really want to overclock as it increases battery drainage and OS instability. But if you do overclock, how much?

Guest Athenon

To be honest, it depends on the game. You have to run the game, see how it runs and overclock accordingly (just don't go over about 280 or 320). I've seen games that run almost perfectly with sound and no overclocking, and games that run bad without sound and without overclocking, so :)

Um... how crucial is it to overclock your BJ2? Asking b/c I don't really want to overclock as it increases battery drainage and OS instability. But if you do overclock, how much?

Guest su6oxone
To be honest, it depends on the game. You have to run the game, see how it runs and overclock accordingly (just don't go over about 280 or 320). I've seen games that run almost perfectly with sound and no overclocking, and games that run bad without sound and without overclocking, so :)

Sounds good. Thanks for the tutorial.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest illuzionz23

hmm i did everything... in ur tutorial, in order, following all directions... but somehow its still not working...

i installed the tgetfile.dll file.... and it installed into the phone via activesync, with a popup on the phone stating that the file was made for an earlier version of windows mobile... ignored it and went on...

downloaded PocketSNES153.rar extracted the files, and placed the file in a new folder named SNES in my blackjack2... i made the new 'SNES' folder in the 'My Device' folder.... and i also placed a couple of roms in there....

then restarted phone... but nothing... i see and open the SNES folder but it says "No Objects to Display"

tho while im in the folder, i press the "menu" button, and perform the "search" feature, and when i search for the 'pocketsnes', it shows up, but i cannot open up the file....

any1 have any ideas? do i gotta unlock my phone or summtin?

all help is greatly appreciated!

Guest Athenon

Hard to say really. pocketsnes.exe should show up in the builtin Windows File Explorer. Try re-extracting the rar, make sure theres a pocketsnes.exe file there, and copy it again. Also, if that doesn't work, try making the SNES folder in My Documents (Windows might not like the folder you put it in...it's Windows, only God/Allah/etc knows for sure :))

hmm i did everything... in ur tutorial, in order, following all directions... but somehow its still not working...

i installed the tgetfile.dll file.... and it installed into the phone via activesync, with a popup on the phone stating that the file was made for an earlier version of windows mobile... ignored it and went on...

downloaded PocketSNES153.rar extracted the files, and placed the file in a new folder named SNES in my blackjack2... i made the new 'SNES' folder in the 'My Device' folder.... and i also placed a couple of roms in there....

then restarted phone... but nothing... i see and open the SNES folder but it says "No Objects to Display"

tho while im in the folder, i press the "menu" button, and perform the "search" feature, and when i search for the 'pocketsnes', it shows up, but i cannot open up the file....

any1 have any ideas? do i gotta unlock my phone or summtin?

all help is greatly appreciated!

Guest illuzionz23

Athenon,

can u do me a favor and check what version your blackjack 2 is ...?

u can find it in your fone:

start>settings>about

juss lemme kno what version...

mine is:

Windows Mobile 6 Standard

CE OS 5.2.1620 (Build 18125.0.4.2)

Radio Version i617UCGK2

RIL Version 2.002

for some reason... i think it has to do with the version of my phone....

Guest Athenon

Ah ha, the beauty of PocketSNES is that you use STANDARD roms. The same roms you use on the computer, you can copy to your phone and run them there :)

i'm i supposed to use standard snes roms or are there specific pocket snes roms?

Guest Athenon

It's exactly the same - every number, every letter. I would type it, but it's kind of pointless :)

Athenon,

can u do me a favor and check what version your blackjack 2 is ...?

u can find it in your fone:

start>settings>about

juss lemme kno what version...

mine is:

Windows Mobile 6 Standard

CE OS 5.2.1620 (Build 18125.0.4.2)

Radio Version i617UCGK2

RIL Version 2.002

for some reason... i think it has to do with the version of my phone....

Guest petrella9979
Ah ha, the beauty of PocketSNES is that you use STANDARD roms. The same roms you use on the computer, you can copy to your phone and run them there :)

ok ....welll i can get the games on but for some reason the screen is sideways and i don't know how to rotate the screen. How do i go about doing that? Also, how do i go about finding out what buttons to use? Any help would be great...

Guest illuzionz23
ok ....welll i can get the games on but for some reason the screen is sideways and i don't know how to rotate the screen. How do i go about doing that? Also, how do i go about finding out what buttons to use? Any help would be great...

WHAT OMG!

u got it working..

i cant get mine working...

do u save the pocksnes file to the microsd or phone?

if any1 from nyc can do this to my blackjack2

i'll quickly drop off my phone 2 wherever u are and give a quick 10 dollas :)

Guest homeskil

You have to adjust the settings under the Menu option. Go to Display, highlight the radio button that's currently selected (something along the lines of "landscape full screen"), press down once on the middle circle button, then press left and right on the d-pad to move it to "portrait".

As far as buttons, go to Menu>Keys, highlight one of the button labels, press down on the middle circle button, then press the button you want to use for that emulated button.

Guest petrella9979
You have to adjust the settings under the Menu option. Go to Display, highlight the radio button that's currently selected (something along the lines of "landscape full screen"), press down once on the middle circle button, then press left and right on the d-pad to move it to "portrait".

As far as buttons, go to Menu>Keys, highlight one of the button labels, press down on the middle circle button, then press the button you want to use for that emulated button.

thanks alot...... this site is great

Guest Athenon

For me, I enable the first two options in the sound menu - Enable Sound and Sound Synch or something like that.

ok one more question......how do i get the sound to play.....I can't get sound on the games.

Guest Athenon

Not 100% sure what you're asking, but go into display options and try Landscape or Portrait, whichever one you're not in now :)

how can i rotate the screen so its at 240 x 320? its vertical right now, how can i change it to horizontal?

Not 100% sure what you're asking, but go into display options and try Landscape or Portrait, whichever one you're not in now :)

It won't let me. Everytime i try to go down to either portrait or portrait large or landscape right, it just skips it. I'm at landscape left right now... should i get a different version?

thanks!

Edited by danzer

Guest illuzionz23
It won't let me. Everytime i try to go down to either portrait or portrait large or landscape right, it just skips it. I'm at landscape left right now... should i get a different version?

thanks!

naw... juss do this exactly:

open up pocketsnes

press option tab

then display tab...

then press the left button twice

(confusing but thats how u change it)

naw... juss do this exactly:

open up pocketsnes

press option tab

then display tab...

then press the left button twice

(confusing but thats how u change it)

Nope, sorry doesn't work. When I press the left button twice, the first time i press it it send me back to the main screen in pocketsnes. The left button is the "OK" button so it really doesn't do anything when i press the left button twice. I got the 1.53 version if that helps at all.

Thanks for any help, even if it doesn't work. I really appreciate it!