MWC 2008: Sony Ericsson drop in on the Windows Mobile Scene! [Update 1!]

Guest Monolithix

Guest FragMeister

I had guessed by virtue of micro-sd rather than sony memory stick that it was going to be manufactured by someone other than SE themselves.

Interesting how HTC up the ante, especially as they will be making this, and I expect that SE will have set very high standards for them in terms of build quality.

Guest xorangefirex
:) :D :D Anyone checked out the video on the SE website? The panel concept looks well funky, and it seems pretty compact too. Difficult to judge though really!

Yea it does look like an incredible little device. HTC's stock is not going to be to ecstatic when this comes out. Oh well, perhaps this will give HTC some competition and help them improve their mobiles.

*Edit* Also, sxywill2005 wouldn't A-GPS be better than GPS alone? Helps in urban area where GPS can't calculate position correctly.

Edited by xorangefirex

Guest Syphon Filter
aGPS?

Fail.

Shame, looks hot, first phone since the Kaiser that's got my pulse raised

Can someone PLEASE explain why aGPS is a fail?!

It's exactly the same as regular GPS but also capable of receiving up to date information regarding satellite position information so that it can acheive a fix faster.

What exactly is the problem with this?

The Kaiser has aGPS too does it not? Hence the little "QuickGPS" utility that it ships with?

EDIT:

http://www.tracyandmatt.co.uk/blogs/index....23/what_is_agps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-GPS

http://www.gpsworld.com/gpsworld/article/a...il.jsp?id=12287

Edited by Syphon Filter

Guest xorangefirex

A-GPS is simply assisted GPS. Meaning that along with a complete GPS system in the unit (same as Kaiser) it will use cell towers around you to give you a more accurate description of your location. This means it is better than Stand Alone GPS due to its increased accuracy and its ability to give you a better idea of where you are in urban areas where Stand Alone GPS on a mobile will fall flat and generally fail to recieve a signal. Also it means that people complaining about it don't know what they think they know or are just copying the responses of other ill-informed individuals.

Guest xorangefirex
The device is, indeed, HTC made.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/02/10/no-wond...d-htc-makes-it/

Why do HTC not make such swanky devices for THEMSELVES!!! Argh!

What are the chances they will release an "own brand" version of this?

I would bet its not that great a chance. SE will probably have made a deal to keep all rights to the device, but you never know.

Guest xorangefirex

Smaller in every dimension with the same features and then some...Incredible.

*edit* accidentally quoted the pic along with it...

Edited by xorangefirex

Guest Syphon Filter
A-GPS is simply assisted GPS. Meaning that along with a complete GPS system in the unit (same as Kaiser) it will use cell towers around you to give you a more accurate description of your location. This means it is better than Stand Alone GPS due to its increased accuracy and its ability to give you a better idea of where you are in urban areas where Stand Alone GPS on a mobile will fall flat and generally fail to recieve a signal. Also it means that people complaining about it don't know what they think they know or are just copying the responses of other ill-informed individuals.

Finally, someone who understands what aGPS is and how it works.

Guest Syphon Filter
Heh, just watched the Gizmodo ad. I like how the portrait view was laid out perfectly for thumb use....assuming you're right handed!

I'm guessing you can change it in the settings? One would hope at least.

Guest Jasonkruys

I *MUST* have this phone. Sadly I have ditched my Universal as it is getting old and is a bit too bulky these days. Whilst I miss it, I am not getting another WinMo device until a decent VGA device is released. Currently using a K810i most of the time, having a half decent camera on you all the time is awesome....

Just when I was debating if I should move to an E-Ten X800......Could this be my perfect device? I think so! :)

Not sure I can wait until the end of the year though :D

Edited by Jasonkruys

Guest NuShrike

I hold my doubts still..

After all, Sony made the NX80 Clie 4-5 years ago that would've made the iPhone still-born, and where did that go? Sony also made the killer Sonic Stage and that ATRAC3. Combine them with brother hardware-only pro HTC to make this device, and you still got a device glowing with all the leading-edge user-friendliness that wince is known for.

Guest ClintEastman

It's also supposibly running on WinMo 6.5

In the original article in russian (Xperia review) Mobile-Review explains that SE is not allowed to show anything more than their touch task manager at the Barcelona demo stand, because Xperia is built on the new version of Windows Mobile 6.5 (or some other name) that will precede arrival of WM7 in 2009. It will debut in Sep/Oct and will be the most important overhaul of OS interface in its history, will contain improvements to touch navigation, feature fully reworked media/video player, will support 3D-accelerators on OS-level (whatever that means) to combat iPhone & Symbian Co.

" ...Она будет публично анонсирована летом этого года или чуть позже, а первые устройства появятся в конце сентября, начале октября. Сроки готовности ОС тонкая материя и с уверенностью утверждать, что называемые сегодня сроки останутся таковыми и через месяц нельзя, они ориентировочны. Важно отметить, что WM 6.5 (название придуманное и просто вводится мной для удобства, кодовое имя ОС другое, как и номер) это крупнейшее обновление интерфейса WM за все прошедшие годы, ориентация ОС на управление с помощью пальцев, переработка музыкального плеера, видео плеера, поддержка аппаратных 3D ускорителей на уровне ОС, ряд других улучшений... "

SOURCE

Edited by ClintEastman

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.