How to install and USE .net Compact Framework 3.5 WITHOUT upgrading your ROM.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

If you're a developer or have knowledge of .net Compact Framework, you'll be aware that version 3.5 has shipped. You'll be aware that it offers a number of enhancements in features, stability and performance, and you'll likely also know that it provides full backwards compatability with previous versions of the Compact Framework. What you may NOT know is that when CF 3.5 is installed on a device, applications that target previous versions of the Compact Framework will continue to run against the old versions, and 3.5 and previous versions will live side by side on the device. Only when new devices come along will we see ONLY 3.5 on a device.

This presents a number of problems, namely

• Users who deploy CF 3.5 to their device but use applications targeting older versions will not benefit from the 3.5 performance improvements
  • Developers who develop apps for pre CF 3.5 frameworks cannot easily test their applications ready for when 3.5 only devices come along

Thankfully, help is at hand in the form of a little known Compact Framework 3.5 powertoy named '.Net Configuration'. The application, which is available in this download at Microsoft, provides the user with full granularity of control over the .net CF on their device. You can see installed versions, change the used CF version for a particular application or change the used CF version for all applications run on your device! Perfect!

Sadly in Microsoft's infinite wisdom the application in question is tucked away in simple EXE inside the 6.2MB download and somewhat hard to find, so i've taken the liberty of packaging it up into a CAB here that installs it with it's own Start Menu shortcut. I've also included the .net CF 3.5 CAB below, so you can get your device updated quickly and easily by...

- Downloading and installing both CABs below (to internal memory!)

- Running '.Net Configuration' from your Start Menu

- Navigating to the 'Device Policy' tab and selecting version 3.5

- Selecting 'Apply' then 'OK'

That's it, you're done! You can even check it's working by installing my CamerAware Beta and hitting 'About', after which you should see the screen below.

Enjoy, and hope this is useful :)

P

PS If you ARE a developer, there's other goodies in that Powertoys package that are well worth a look too!

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

cf351.jpgcf352.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Electronic Punk

Thanks Paul, just installed this now and set 3.5 as the system default... I like the way it checks your device for .net applcations, all mine seemed to be set on default anyway so now it is time to see what happens :D

Guest Earthworm
Hey, I try to install the 3.5 FW but it gives me an error at the end. . . Says to maximize memory? I dont have any apps running?

Yeah, I'm getting the same installation error. Tells me to re-start to continue installation but when I've booted back up and go into "Device Policy" tab I don't see the option to select 3.5. Only Deault is available for selection :-(

Guest spk_modaco

Hi, it worked without any issues in my tmobile wing. Since I have a cooked rom, the program could not put a shortcut under start menu. So, I opened the cgacutil.exe under windows folder which confirmed that the new version was installed. Thanks for sharing the program. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Johann Lazarus

Hi Paul,

I was able to install .NET Compact Framework 2.0 on my i-mate JASJAM before I came across your post.

When I tried installing the .NET Compact Framework 3.5 (after uninstalling .NET Compact Framework 2.0) i got the following error:

"Installation error. Stop all applications and processes, maximize available storage space, and run installation again. Support info: 2"

Now I am unable to install .NET Compact Framework 2.0 back into my JASJAM. I get the above error. Any ideas on how I can fix this.

I'm a developer and want to test my apps on my JASJAM but i cant because I need .NET Compact Framework 2.0. :D

I've spent the last 6 hours scouring the net for a way to fix this and i've come across a few articles that have recommended that the initial framework be deleted. (I'm really not too keen on pursuing this option as this is a rather sensitive area. Plus we dont really have support for i-mate JASJAM in New Zealand. I bought my device in Dubai.) :(

Any help you can extend out to me would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Johann

(By the way my JASJAM is running WM5)

Edited by Johann Lazarus

Guest Johann Lazarus
Yeah, I'm getting the same installation error. Tells me to re-start to continue installation but when I've booted back up and go into "Device Policy" tab I don't see the option to select 3.5. Only Deault is available for selection :-(

Hi,

Were you able to get around this installation issue?

Regards

Johann

Edited by Johann Lazarus

Guest Johann Lazarus
Hi Paul,

I was able to install .NET Compact Framework 2.0 on my i-mate JASJAM before I came across your post.

When I tried installing the .NET Compact Framework 3.5 (after uninstalling .NET Compact Framework 2.0) i got the following error:

"Installation error. Stop all applications and processes, maximize available storage space, and run installation again. Support info: 2"

Now I am unable to install .NET Compact Framework 2.0 back into my JASJAM. I get the above error. Any ideas on how I can fix this.

I'm a developer and want to test my apps on my JASJAM but i cant because I need .NET Compact Framework 2.0. :D

I've spent the last 6 hours scouring the net for a way to fix this and i've come across a few articles that have recommended that the initial framework be deleted. (I'm really not too keen on pursuing this option as this is a rather sensitive area. Plus we dont really have support for i-mate JASJAM in New Zealand. I bought my device in Dubai.) :(

Any help you can extend out to me would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Johann

(By the way my JASJAM is running WM5)

Ok so I have managed to solve this issue with some intense researching and surfing!

I ended up having to do a hard reset. It seems that there is a application that conflicts the install procedure. Out of the three that were listed I had one of them - Skype. (I could be completely wrong though as I have nothing substantial to base my findings on apart from the fact that I had one of the afore mentioned applications. I think I may have been missing a few dll's.).

I've been able to install the .NET Compact Framework 3.5 on my pda. :o

Link to Solution - look for the posting by Hector Obregon [eMVP] a little way down the page.

Cheers.

(By the way just uninstalling Skype did not do the trick, I had to resort to a hard reset)

Edited by Johann Lazarus

Drat! Accidently hit the 'report post' buttons, not the reply ones. So here we go again!Hello,A good article (as per usual), and a noble effort, but when I attempt to download the files, they are not cabs, but rather "index.php" That's both, though their sizes register as,netcfcfg.cab 31.27KNETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab 2.58MBas it seems they should.I am running WM6 on an iPAQ 211, which by the way, comes with .net Compact Framework 2 in ROM.I fear I'm missing something obvious, but I'll hew to the old saw, "The only dumb question is the unasked one."Thank you for a good site!Best,Jack

• 1 month later...
Guest romancia

I installed compact framework 3.5 in my xda flame and it's working..but some of game become small and only 25% from the my flame screen...what happen and how to solve this problem? thanks...Achmad

• 2 months later...
Guest squirl

Does it really amtter if you downlaod both cabs to your main or storage memory?

Thanks for the app!

Now I wonder how to find out which apps should / shouldn't be used with 3.5.

Guest squirl

Hi,

I have a wing and after downloading the program my cgacutil file under windows still says 2.0...What am I doing wrong?...

Hi, it worked without any issues in my tmobile wing. Since I have a cooked rom, the program could not put a shortcut under start menu. So, I opened the cgacutil.exe under windows folder which confirmed that the new version was installed. Thanks for sharing the program. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest micbronto

Thanx man!! I been looking for these very cabs!

If you're a developer or have knowledge of .net Compact Framework, you'll be aware that version 3.5 has shipped. You'll be aware that it offers a number of enhancements in features, stability and performance, and you'll likely also know that it provides full backwards compatability with previous versions of the Compact Framework. What you may NOT know is that when CF 3.5 is installed on a device, applications that target previous versions of the Compact Framework will continue to run against the old versions, and 3.5 and previous versions will live side by side on the device. Only when new devices come along will we see ONLY 3.5 on a device.

• Users who deploy CF 3.5 to their device but use applications targeting older versions will not benefit from the 3.5 performance improvements
  • Developers who develop apps for pre CF 3.5 frameworks cannot easily test their applications ready for when 3.5 only devices come along

Thankfully, help is at hand in the form of a little known Compact Framework 3.5 powertoy named '.Net Configuration'. The application, which is available in this download at Microsoft, provides the user with full granularity of control over the .net CF on their device. You can see installed versions, change the used CF version for a particular application or change the used CF version for all applications run on your device! Perfect!

Sadly in Microsoft's infinite wisdom the application in question is tucked away in simple EXE inside the 6.2MB download and somewhat hard to find, so i've taken the liberty of packaging it up into a CAB here that installs it with it's own Start Menu shortcut. I've also included the .net CF 3.5 CAB below, so you can get your device updated quickly and easily by...

That's it, you're done! You can even check it's working by installing my CamerAware Beta and hitting 'About', after which you should see the screen below.

Enjoy, and hope this is useful ;)

P

PS If you ARE a developer, there's other goodies in that Powertoys package that are well worth a look too!

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

cf351.jpgcf352.jpg

Guest Casper Gomez

Hoping someone can help me..... When I attempt to install NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab it is throwing up the following error message:

"Installation was unsucessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it is not digitally signed with a trusted certificate"

Is there anything I can do to get around this? (Sorry if this sounds like a totally dumb-ass question!!)

NB I am currently on a XDA Ignito

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy, and hope this is useful :D

P

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

cf351.jpgcf352.jpg

Hey Paul, thanks for the App's :wacko:

I think it's a great job when people exactly know how they can be used. At that point I have a few questions:

1. After install both CAB's on the device and I do nothing furhter everthing will be OK or must i do some final settings anyway to let all work fine? So far as I understood the installed programs choose their own version of NETCF to work correct! (because both versions old and new are on the device now) Its a pitty, after installation the IE explorer doesn't work, but I'm be able to download some stuff(p.a. AppToDate)? :(

How can I fix the IE problem?

2. Accidentally, I also install AppToDate, not knowing what this App exactly does! After using it I saw a screen appear whit the following info:

Out of date: ticked - SKTOOLS 4.4.1.1. (I installed the last version an hour ago, it must be the last version!?)

Up to date:

un-ticked - net.Configaration 3.08.04.10

un-ticked - App to Date 2.080626

If I would download net.Configaration 3.08.04.10 and install it, would it overwrite v3.5, or would it be also a seperat version next to the other NETCf versions, waiting to be activated and used?

3.Does AppToDate search for new updates for all the programms (official/freeware) I'm already installed on my device , or only offical bought one?

4.I trust that AppToDate is Spy- and Adwarefree?

5.If I choose in net.Configaration the option: Device Policy\Default, does it mean that after Apply, everything(all installed programs) now will be configurated and work with the network version that is activated (in my case 2.0.7045.00 registry_1) at the moment?

6. After this configaration i also can use the option Application Policy: Why can I only see a few .exe-files? Does it mean that these files are the one who left for an optional switch to both versions of NETCF?

These are a lot of questions but I think that more users would like to know!

Sorry for my bad English ;)

Thanks in advance

Guest hohingday
Hoping someone can help me..... When I attempt to install NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab it is throwing up the following error message:

"Installation was unsucessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it is not digitally signed with a trusted certificate"

Is there anything I can do to get around this? (Sorry if this sounds like a totally dumb-ass question!!)

NB I am currently on a XDA Ignito

I am getting the same issue, any ideas?

Thanks,

Ed

Me too! Help please... ;)

I had same problem and this worked for me.

If you have .Net Framework 3.5 installed (or get it from http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details...;displaylang=en), copy NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab from C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\SDK\CompactFramework\v3.5\WindowsCE (use search if you dont have same folder) to your mobile and that file should work.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Brian Young

What a great post!! i just created an app for my AT&T Tilt (windows mobile 6) to check my World of Warcraft server status. I'm a big fan of LINQ and XML. i would have been so angry if i wouldn't have been able to upgrade my .net compact framework to 3.5. Let me know if any one cares to have it. Thanks so much!!!

~B

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.