How to install and USE .net Compact Framework 3.5 WITHOUT upgrading your ROM.

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest lacibrooke

Ok... I have an HTC Touch and when i download the 2 cabs you've provided they won't run. The error I'm getting is, "There is no application associated with "index". Run the application first, then open this file from within the application." Index is what they automatically saved as.

-L-

• 3 weeks later...

This has been a very useful tool, as some older programs I use require the 2.0 CF and give errors when using 3.5.

My question is how to save and restore the device and application policy settings for use following a hard reset? I haven't been able to find any registry keys or settings files that store this information and would like to back it up instead of having to manually configure it following a hard reset.

[Edit]

Always good when you answer your own questions, I suppose. Did a little more digging and found that the info I was looking for was stored in several .config files. The device policy is contained within \Windows\device.config while each application where you have selected a specific version of the CF to use will have an associated .config file stored alongside the application's .exe file.

For example, I use a game called Pocket Sudoku, stored in \Program Files\Pocket Sudoku and this directory contains PocketSudoku.exe.config which specifies that v2.0 of the .NET CF must be used instead of the default v3.5, which I have set in my device policy file \Windows\device.config.

Now, I don't have to manually re-enter this info following a hard reset. :rolleyes: Rather than deleting my original post, thought I'd post the info here in the hopes that someone else will find it useful...

Edited by del4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Th3Zodiac

I'm downloading and getting an index file on my HTC Diamond, what am I doing wrong? HELP !!! thanks

SOLVED, DL with skyfire, installed and works great! Thanks

Edited by Th3Zodiac

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fantoukh

I'm Home people and it's good to be back, I'm amazed that my account is still a live after two years, Winmo is the best, Thanks Paul for the cap files you have been great help.

Regards,

When I tried installing the .NET Compact Framework 3.5 (after installing .NET Compact Framework 2.0) i got the following error:

"Installation error. Stop all applications and processes, maximize available storage space, and run installation again. Support info: 2"

Now I am unable to install .NET Compact Framework 2.0 back into my JASJAM. I get the above error. Any ideas on how I can fix this.

I installed .NET CF 3.5 on my Raphael with no problems but uninstalled it (incorrectly) believing it to be the cause of a problem with another application. On re-installation I repeatedly got the above error but found this solution on another forum: -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...0454&page=2

I followed cctay's instructions in Post 13 which solved the problem and enabled me to install.

Hope this helps anyone else having the same problem

Guest rfuller
If you're a developer or have knowledge of .net Compact Framework, you'll be aware that version 3.5 has shipped. You'll be aware that it offers a number of enhancements in features, stability and performance, and you'll likely also know that it provides full backwards compatability with previous versions of the Compact Framework. What you may NOT know is that when CF 3.5 is installed on a device, applications that target previous versions of the Compact Framework will continue to run against the old versions, and 3.5 and previous versions will live side by side on the device. Only when new devices come along will we see ONLY 3.5 on a device.

This presents a number of problems, namely

• Users who deploy CF 3.5 to their device but use applications targeting older versions will not benefit from the 3.5 performance improvements
  • Developers who develop apps for pre CF 3.5 frameworks cannot easily test their applications ready for when 3.5 only devices come along

Thankfully, help is at hand in the form of a little known Compact Framework 3.5 powertoy named '.Net Configuration'. The application, which is available in this download at Microsoft, provides the user with full granularity of control over the .net CF on their device. You can see installed versions, change the used CF version for a particular application or change the used CF version for all applications run on your device! Perfect!

Sadly in Microsoft's infinite wisdom the application in question is tucked away in simple EXE inside the 6.2MB download and somewhat hard to find, so i've taken the liberty of packaging it up into a CAB here that installs it with it's own Start Menu shortcut. I've also included the .net CF 3.5 CAB below, so you can get your device updated quickly and easily by...

- Downloading and installing both CABs below (to internal memory!)

- Running '.Net Configuration' from your Start Menu

- Navigating to the 'Device Policy' tab and selecting version 3.5

- Selecting 'Apply' then 'OK'

That's it, you're done! You can even check it's working by installing my CamerAware Beta and hitting 'About', after which you should see the screen below.

Enjoy, and hope this is useful :(

P

PS If you ARE a developer, there's other goodies in that Powertoys package that are well worth a look too!

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

cf351.jpgcf352.jpg

I got excited when I saw this post, that was until I couldn't get it to work. My blackjackII won't 1. let me see the the files, 2. once located the darn thing won't let me run them; the open tab is greyed out.

Guest ME1STNINJA

Will this work on the omnia i am trying to install the IPlayer app and get the error that the net framework is not an uptodate version ?

Any thoughts ???

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest andrain

Hello, these links for the tw cab files in the initial post are dead any way someone could repost or the files or a link. Thanks.

Drew

HTC tytanII

• 2 weeks later...
Guest colinncox
If you're a developer or have knowledge of .net Compact Framework, you'll be aware that version 3.5 has shipped. You'll be aware that it offers a number of enhancements in features, stability and performance, and you'll likely also know that it provides full backwards compatability with previous versions of the Compact Framework. What you may NOT know is that when CF 3.5 is installed on a device, applications that target previous versions of the Compact Framework will continue to run against the old versions, and 3.5 and previous versions will live side by side on the device. Only when new devices come along will we see ONLY 3.5 on a device.

This presents a number of problems, namely

• Users who deploy CF 3.5 to their device but use applications targeting older versions will not benefit from the 3.5 performance improvements
  • Developers who develop apps for pre CF 3.5 frameworks cannot easily test their applications ready for when 3.5 only devices come along

Thankfully, help is at hand in the form of a little known Compact Framework 3.5 powertoy named '.Net Configuration'. The application, which is available in this download at Microsoft, provides the user with full granularity of control over the .net CF on their device. You can see installed versions, change the used CF version for a particular application or change the used CF version for all applications run on your device! Perfect!

Sadly in Microsoft's infinite wisdom the application in question is tucked away in simple EXE inside the 6.2MB download and somewhat hard to find, so i've taken the liberty of packaging it up into a CAB here that installs it with it's own Start Menu shortcut. I've also included the .net CF 3.5 CAB below, so you can get your device updated quickly and easily by...

- Downloading and installing both CABs below (to internal memory!)

- Running '.Net Configuration' from your Start Menu

- Navigating to the 'Device Policy' tab and selecting version 3.5

- Selecting 'Apply' then 'OK'

That's it, you're done! You can even check it's working by installing my CamerAware Beta and hitting 'About', after which you should see the screen below.

Enjoy, and hope this is useful :excl:

P

PS If you ARE a developer, there's other goodies in that Powertoys package that are well worth a look too!

netcfcfg.cab

NETCFv35.wm.armv4i.cab

cf351.jpgcf352.jpg

Thanks Paul it works great on my Australian Omnia

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Woody56

Some add on programs like Live Search,Shoot me and teeter not working (blank icon), I need to uninstall NETCFv35 not showing in "Remove Programs" Probily just corrupt file. How can I remove the files ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.