EDGE on T-Mo UK?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

This is weird... I was in Reigate recently and I had an E symbol on my Kaiser, and browsing certainly seemed to be faster than regular GPRS.

I didn't realise T-Mo had EDGE in the UK?

P

Guest bydandie
This is weird... I was in Reigate recently and I had an E symbol on my Kaiser, and browsing certainly seemed to be faster than regular GPRS.

P

Whereabouts in Reigate? I thought I saw it in the Woodhatch area end of last year but never again since.

P

I've just got back from Bamford in the Peak District and was surprised to get an EDGE connection. I haven't seen it anywhere else on my travels (on T-Mobile obviously).

Here's where I was:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie...010289&z=17

Guest Happy Dave
I've just got back from Bamford in the Peak District and was surprised to get an EDGE connection. I haven't seen it anywhere else on my travels (on T-Mobile obviously).

Here's where I was:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie...010289&z=17

and weirdly I just got back from Belfast & Londonderry. As soon as I got to Londonderry from Belfast I got a welcome to T-Mob txt and Edge connection. I'm still confused by that as its obvioulsy still the UK and as far north more or less that you can go.

Guest humph12345

All base stations with Ericsson equipment have edge enabled TRU's fitted, but it is only enabled in a few places.

I would assume this would be where there is no 3G coverage.

Vodafone are the same, but do not have it enabled.

Guest Confucious

Hi Humph

Do you know why it's not enabled in 3G areas? Lots of phones are not 3G so Edge would be an improvement for them. Can they not enable Edge and 3G on the same TRU?

(Not that I have a clue what a TRU is :D )

Guest humph12345
Hi Humph

Do you know why it's not enabled in 3G areas? Lots of phones are not 3G so Edge would be an improvement for them. Can they not enable Edge and 3G on the same TRU?

(Not that I have a clue what a TRU is :D )

A TRU is a 2G transponder. The equipment for 2G and 3G are different, so you would either have a 2G/3G site, with 3G as the main data bearer and GPRS as a fall back. On 2G coverage areas, EDGE could be enabled to increase the available data rates. This would be dependant on how congested the site was, as you will lose voice capacity to data.

I suspect they don't enable EDGE on site with 3G because the way forward for them is 3G, hence this agreement to combine networks with 3. The 2G licenses are up for renewal soon, don't be surprised to see some operators not bidding and then selling their 2g infrastucture to the new operator.