Defenceless Old Lady

Touch Dual Google maps and the “my location” feature.

9 posts in this topic

I am thinking very hard about getting a Touch Dual (T-Mobile) but the lack of GPS is putting me off.

Google maps claims to be able to fix your location with out a GPS.

I know it is not as accurate as a GPS but it would do for me, has anyone tried this? Does it work?

Many thanks

It's no substitute for proper GPS, but it does get reasonably close, usually about a street or two away for me.

Bluetooth GPS receivers are dirt cheap on eBay anyway now, a lot less than the fifty-odd quid I paid for mine a couple of years ago :D

Thanks for the heads up.

I have a GPS unit for my Vario but it is just one more thing to carry.

I forgot my external GPS the other day, and used Google Map via GPRS, worked fine for me.

Downloaded googlemaps on my startrk the other day. Here in Woking it shows a couple of streets away (and very quick) In London it had me almost spot on!

I'm out the way a bit - it's about 1/2 mile out.

Still no joy over a 3G connection in Coventry :D

used my location about 2-3 times in different places. Works pretty accurately, i would say about 300-400 meters from actual location. But sometimes cannot identify my location at all...

Is there any secret to making the 'My Location' feature work without a GPS receiver?

I have tried Google Maps on both my XDA2i (HTC Alpine) and iPAQ 614c with my O2 pay monthly sim card, and in both handsets I get a message about my handset not being compatible with the 'My Location' feature.

Of course on the iPAQ 614c, I can turn on the GPS and get a fix that way, in which case the 'My Location' feature works.

But why does it not work on either handset using the mobile phone network for positioning?

Any ideas?,

Thanks.