Google maps offline

Guest phdutton

Guest phdutton

Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to download Google Maps onto the device so it doesn't need to keep downloading them over the GPRS.

It looks by far the best GPS application for me, but I don't have an unlimited data package (dam orange!) so can't really afford to download the maps all the time.

Cheers,

Pete.

Guest phdutton
No its not. But Smart2Go can do it. There's threads around here about it.

None of the free ones offer turn by turn though

I'm not after turn-by-turn,

I've got a TomTom in my car, just want a decent maps program on the phone so I can work out where I am if I get lost on foot.

Guest Webreaper
I have tried TomTom on the mobile, but it's too setup for cars, and not enough for being on foot. Any other surgestions?

Too what?

I use TomTom on the Kaiser for my in-car satnav, and have also used it for navigating on foot, using the 'walking' route planner.

Guest phdutton
Too what?

I use TomTom on the Kaiser for my in-car satnav, and have also used it for navigating on foot, using the 'walking' route planner.

I wasn't keen on it, I tried TomTom on the mobile once when I got lost in Bloomsbury. Wasn't keen. Prefer something along the lines of Google Earth.

Guest wilkhaven
I wasn't keen on it, I tried TomTom on the mobile once when I got lost in Bloomsbury. Wasn't keen. Prefer something along the lines of Google Earth.

I use Anquet maps for walking/cycling use. You can download just the areas you need and use the GPS to record track logs. Obvioulsy you have to pay for the maps, but the costs are quite reasonable (IMO!).

Guest NuShrike
Hi,

Does anyone know if it's possible to download Google Maps onto the device so it doesn't need to keep downloading them over the GPRS.

It looks by far the best GPS application for me, but I don't have an unlimited data package (dam orange!) so can't really afford to download the maps all the time.

Get a GPS application for yourself. Google Maps isn't because it's a web application that happens to use your local GPS.

Use a real GPS app such as TomTom, Garmin Mobile XT, Navigon, iGo, etc etc.

Guest Paulplex
I'm not after turn-by-turn,

I've got a TomTom in my car, just want a decent maps program on the phone so I can work out where I am if I get lost on foot.

I used to have a Garmin which was perfect for what I think you're after: the ability to plot where you've been, mark waypoints (ie, where the car is) and thus find your way back again if you take a wrong turn.

I use Noni GPSPlot (http://aeguerre.free.fr/Public/PocketPC/No...ot/EN/index.php) on my Kaiser to fulfil this task now: no glamorous maps to look at but all I need is a dotted line showing me how far I've walked, the time I've been walking and the ability to export out my stroll to Google as a KML file - and it does all of that for free :D

Guest jimbouk

Third time lucky...

USE SMART2GO. Its almost exactly the same as google maps but you can pre-load the maps for the area you are going to onto your storage card when you have web access.

• 2 years later...
Guest fsb2cool2care
Hi,

I don't have an unlimited data package (dam orange!) so can't really afford to download the maps all the time

Yes!!! I do this all the time. Use a WiFi connection to view all the maps you need at every zoom level that you'll need, and they are cached on your device if you have enough memory.