Liberate your HTC Shift!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Jack5225
Yes I did -- just as you show on the video. And it still won't work.

Can I please get some additional assistance? I have tried to install this thing over and over again, and nothing changes. If you could provide me with more information, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Guest Jack5225
Can I please get some additional assistance? I have tried to install this thing over and over again, and nothing changes. If you could provide me with more information, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Okay - one other thing - I was able to access the file explorer once the settings folder is in the my documents folder. There I see various files that were all created today and are in the "my device" folder-- they read as follows "cemail" "mxip_lang" "mixp_notify" and "pim". Are these supposed to be there? They seem to coincide with my effort to open the liberate lnk file. Should these files be there?

Thanks.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul,

Thanks for the video. I had no problems getting this to work. Is there a way to get snapvue to recognise the SD memory card slot. I want to use it to play music using windows media player.

Also is there a way to enable wifi on snapvue?

Thanks

Not yet and not yet!

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Okay - one other thing - I was able to access the file explorer once the settings folder is in the my documents folder. There I see various files that were all created today and are in the "my device" folder-- they read as follows "cemail" "mxip_lang" "mixp_notify" and "pim". Are these supposed to be there? They seem to coincide with my effort to open the liberate lnk file. Should these files be there?

Thanks.

How? That shouldn't be possible, moving that settings folder shouldn't give you access to file explorer.

P

Guest ArcaneShark

One note to make about the licensing issue is at least on my Shift, on the inside of the battery cover there is a Windows Vista and Windows Mobile 6 Sticker. Like a this device is licensed for both deal. But I suppose the question being asked may be more aimed at adding the extra software like Mobile Office, WMP etc.

Guest Paul (MVP)

In fact, PIE, WMP, Pictures & Videos and Notes are on the device! They just get overwritten with a dummy file at bootup, my CABs delete this dummy file, thereby restoring the proper file.

Therefore, those ones contain no MS software, and actually free up space on your device too! :D

P

Guest Jack5225
How? That shouldn't be possible, moving that settings folder shouldn't give you access to file explorer.

P

I'm not sure why, but when I move the "settings" folder into "my documents" and go back to the snapvue screen, the settings button will bring up a "mini-windows" with working versions of "file explorer" "calculator" "games" and a few other very limited windows mobile programs on the screen. I have no idea why this happens, but the cab file still says it cannot install. I don't know whether I inadvertently moved a wrong folder at some point, although I don't believe so. I also did a hard reset of the device to restore snapvue and tried again. Same error message, with no indication to give me a better idea as to why it won't work. Any other thoughts? I very much would like to get this thing working. Thanks.

Guest Paul (MVP)
I'm not sure why, but when I move the "settings" folder into "my documents" and go back to the snapvue screen, the settings button will bring up a "mini-windows" with working versions of "file explorer" "calculator" "games" and a few other very limited windows mobile programs on the screen. I have no idea why this happens, but the cab file still says it cannot install. I don't know whether I inadvertently moved a wrong folder at some point, although I don't believe so. I also did a hard reset of the device to restore snapvue and tried again. Same error message, with no indication to give me a better idea as to why it won't work. Any other thoughts? I very much would like to get this thing working. Thanks.

Ah, OK. So are you actually moving the settings folder BACK to Windows after saving the liberate lnk?

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
So have you tried deleting more and more dummy files then?

How do you mean? I've checked the provisioning XML used at startup to see which ones are actually overwritten.

P

Guest Jack5225
Ah, OK. So are you actually moving the settings folder BACK to Windows after saving the liberate lnk?

P

Yes - I move the folder back where it belongs and then everything seems normal again. I press "settings" and it looks like snapvue, but the liberate command appears. I press it and it says "installation of shiftpack.liberate.cab was unsuccesfful"

Any other suggestions?

Guest Jack5225
Try mailing it to a different mail account (eg gmail) in case it is getting mangled somehow?

Kinda short of ideas :D

P

I understand - -one other question, though, this may sound foolish - but I don't know how to set up an account on the device that doesn't use exchange. I tried a pop 3 account, and it would not connect. I thought that maybe outlook is somehow stripping the lnk file, but it does appear and downloads on to the device -- however, I know that regular outlook usually won't let the lnk file through.

Guest Jack5225
Try mailing it to a different mail account (eg gmail) in case it is getting mangled somehow?

Kinda short of ideas :D

P

Okay - okay -sorry for my confusion, but I configured a pop 3 account and sent it to that and it finally worked!!!!! I think it must have simply been the exchange server/outlook. Sorry for my several posts, but thanks again.

Guest firedup
There's no JVM installed, hence the problem installing Opera Mini.

I'll rustle up a Java SHIFTpack when I get the chance...

P

You star! :D :( :(

Guest MitchellO

I got a warn for posting a cab file like that a while back :D

Very cool though, shame HTC didn't see fit to include the full thing ready setup in the first place.

Guest Mike550

Thanks for this Paul - great work! :D Everything installed just fine but am I am finding the connect to Vista facility through the USB Tool is intermittent at best. It has worked once or twice but most times it does not. I have Windows Mobile Device Center running on the Vista side the sync has worked after a fashion but never completed.

Is there a 'trick' to getting the USB Tool to work and the sync to complete?

Thanks

Mike

Guest Settembrini

Hi Paul,

your instructions to liberate the Shift will really help lots of people.

It would be most marvellous, if you could do the same with the change of the display resolution to 96 dpi usind realvga.

Possible?

Thanks!

Settembrini

Guest Zeke_NL

Yoo Paul,I would say get SD running first and then start working on the XP thing hehehe.Super job you did here man thnx again. VPN & RDP works now also in hmmmm.......still cal it Snapview HAHAHAHAHAHAHA Regards,Bert

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.