Liberate your HTC Shift!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest kaizenmg
Found: Unfortunately the automatic Modaco Email upload is not working, I downloaded and sent manual to my shift.

The *.lnk file was renamed to *.lnk.txt and that did not work. I don't know how the hell this happend, but it happened.

Just for info.

Androgyn

I am in the same boat. Is it possible that someone can email the original link file to:[email protected]. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Guest titaniumrider

Paul,

It appears the auto email for the shift.liberate is not working. i tried to send it to both of my email addresses today and cannot get either one to receive the email. I have just bought a Shift, after seeing your video on how to liberate since I am interested in using this to manage my sales accounts on the road, while maintaining the battery life. But, now I can't get the emails so am concerned......

Guest Shifter
Additional SHIFTpacks

Hello Paul,

I'm new in your forum and I was very excited about the liberation of HTC Shift!!

All is still working - thanks a lot!!!

But one problem I have: After installation of Office Mobile 6 with the CAB or EXE file (see above), I got an error message when I start Word Mobile without any text (only the empty error window). The other Office programs aren't starting.

Do you have an idea what may be wrong?

Thanks for your help!!!

Best regards from Germany

Jürgen :D

Guest titaniumrider

Does anyone have the .lnk file? the auto email is not working and the .lnk file only shows up as a link, not an actual file that can be downloaded. I was able to download the .cab file but it does nothing w/o the liberate file. I am very interested in liberating my SHift but need the .lnk file.

Guest mobiletrader

I just tried to download the link also. The link and the email system is not working. Any suggestions? I am dying to liberate my shift!

Guest mobiletrader
I just tried to download the link also. The link and the email system is not working. Any suggestions? I am dying to liberate my shift!

Sorry for the post. I received the files and have liberated my Shift!! Thank you Paul for doing this great hack. It has made the Shift the perfect mobile office for me.

Guest Shift Lover
Additional SHIFTpacks

Hi Paul,Thanks for your brilliant work,Any idea when we will get some more shift packs

Thanks

Guest samshift

thank you Paul, you are really very impressing

but would'nt you belive it is useless to have all of this with out SD enabled or accessing the vista hard disk

please forgive me

Edited by samshift

Guest luca118

anyone has an idea how to save the files?

My version of e-mail client installed on snapVue does not allow me to save the files. If I try to save any of the files from modaco message it prints me out the message that the files are potentially unsafe. I can not do anything with this message. I wondered if it could be possible to change the file extension but how to change the extension back in snapvue?

Please help prisoned htc shift user :D

Guest kenbasr
[float][/float]I like my Shift. It has some obvious failings (such as the pretty horrible battery life) and also the 'crippled' Snapvue, which is really a locked down Windows Mobile 6 with bits removed. Wouldn't it be great if you could Liberate SnapVue by making it full WinMo 6, and then installing as normal? Wouldn't it be great if this was made really easy? Wouldn't it be great perhaps if the process was demo'd on video? Wouldn't it be great if the software you really wanted was bundled up into easy to use 'packs'? /me takes a bow :D

Introducing... SHIFTpack.Liberate and SHIFTpacks!

Let me explain :D

SHIFTpack.Liberate is the first step on the road to liberating your Shift. It's super easy to use, very small, and demonstrated in the video below. It restores your Start Menu, restores CAB assocations to let you install stuff, lets you soft reset without needing Vista and gives you a utility that lets you hook up the WinMo side to the Vista (WMDC) side of your Shift. You'll see the full process in the video and detailed below, but it goes like this...

• Ensure you have access to an email account on Snapvue
  • Enter your e-mail address in the form below, to send the all important SHIFTpack.Liberate files to your device
  • Save files in the relevant locations (some trickery here)
  • Click the Liberate icon in Settings
  • Click the Soft Reset icon in Settings
  • Enjoy WinMo 6 goodness

Once this is done, you can then use our SHIFTpacks either in CAB form on the WinMo side or (even better) in EXE form from Vista (as demo'd in the video) to restore missing functionality. We will be adding a whole bunch of SHIFTpacks over the next few days, so keep checking back!

At this point, watch the video above!

So you like what you see and you want to get started? Excellent! There are TWO posts below (News page readers, click 'View Topic'). The first is dedicated to using SHIFTpack.Liberate to liberate your device, the second contains additional SHIFTpacks for extra functionality (such as Pocket IE in the video) and will be continually updated as we create new packs.

Read on!

I presume I'm being a bit stupid here, but I can't see where to enter my email address!

Guest tatanni

Hallo,

I have a great problem, I don't read the file ink and cab to use WM6, I tried to load the file by MoDaCo and by this forum, but I receive files that I don't read.

Then, I try to copy startmenu in settings, but the file i.explorer in not copied. Why?

There is somebody that can send me these files to my mail:[email protected].

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Grasspatch
[float][/float]I like my Shift. It has some obvious failings (such as the pretty horrible battery life) and also the 'crippled' Snapvue, which is really a locked down Windows Mobile 6 with bits removed. Wouldn't it be great if you could Liberate SnapVue by making it full WinMo 6, and then installing as normal? Wouldn't it be great if this was made really easy? Wouldn't it be great perhaps if the process was demo'd on video? Wouldn't it be great if the software you really wanted was bundled up into easy to use 'packs'? /me takes a bow :angry:

Introducing... SHIFTpack.Liberate and SHIFTpacks!

Let me explain :D

SHIFTpack.Liberate is the first step on the road to liberating your Shift. It's super easy to use, very small, and demonstrated in the video below. It restores your Start Menu, restores CAB assocations to let you install stuff, lets you soft reset without needing Vista and gives you a utility that lets you hook up the WinMo side to the Vista (WMDC) side of your Shift. You'll see the full process in the video and detailed below, but it goes like this...

• Ensure you have access to an email account on Snapvue
  • Enter your e-mail address in the form below, to send the all important SHIFTpack.Liberate files to your device
  • Save files in the relevant locations (some trickery here)
  • Click the Liberate icon in Settings
  • Click the Soft Reset icon in Settings
  • Enjoy WinMo 6 goodness

Once this is done, you can then use our SHIFTpacks either in CAB form on the WinMo side or (even better) in EXE form from Vista (as demo'd in the video) to restore missing functionality. We will be adding a whole bunch of SHIFTpacks over the next few days, so keep checking back!

At this point, watch the video above!

So you like what you see and you want to get started? Excellent! There are TWO posts below (News page readers, click 'View Topic'). The first is dedicated to using SHIFTpack.Liberate to liberate your device, the second contains additional SHIFTpacks for extra functionality (such as Pocket IE in the video) and will be continually updated as we create new packs.

Read on!

Hello Paul,

Fantastic to liberate HTC Shift. Next problem i now face is that there is very limited space on this HTC Shift as far as WM6 (snap-vue). So only able to put small amount of applications on. Have you overcome this problem yet. If so could you let me know your ideas if poss.

Grasspatch  :( :D

Guest golfman32

I am fairly new to this site.

I am also a new Shift user and am in the process of liberating my shift.

One question I have regarding installing new software on shift snapview.

I am interesting in installing Newsgator Go (can download cab) from their web site as well as Windows Live Search, can I install any apps that are Windows Mobile apps on Snapview?

Are their any limitations?

Dave :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Red Baron 2
Hello Paul,

I'm new in your forum and I was very excited about the liberation of HTC Shift!!

All is still working - thanks a lot!!!

But one problem I have: After installation of Office Mobile 6 with the CAB or EXE file (see above), I got an error message when I start Word Mobile without any text (only the empty error window). The other Office programs aren't starting.

Do you have an idea what may be wrong?

Thanks for your help!!!

Best regards from Germany

Jürgen :D

Guest Red Baron 2

Hallo Jürgen,

I have not found anybody yet who has like we the non-American version of the HTC shift and has been able to get the Office Mobile 6 working. In some mail on this forum it was claimed that you have to use the German version of the MS Mobile Office Pack. I tried this. It doesn't work either. Damit sind wir ganz schön besch.. dran. If you come across a solution for this problem, please let me know.

Red Baron 2

Guest Red Baron 2
Hi All.

I have since yesterday my HTC Sift.

Tried to liberate that WM6 part using the given software via Email.

People, I tried it 10 times, resetted, new email installed, installed a.s.o.

Nothing. I can not see the desired items.

Is there something new from HTC? I tried as well another way but the regedit version (part of it: delete SnapVUE directory don't work)

Someone an idea?

Greetz from Germany

Androgyn

Hallo Jürgen,

I have not found anybody yet who has like we the non-American version of the HTC shift and has been able to get the Office Mobile 6 working. In some mail on this forum it was claimed that you have to use the German version of the MS Mobile Office Pack. I tried this. It doesn't work either. Damit sind wir ganz schön besch.. dran. If you come across a solution for this problem, please let me know.

Red Baron 2

Guest Red Baron 2
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your work to "liberate" the Shift. It's great!

I applied all the shift packs to my Shift, and most works fine. Only the Office Mobile don't work. I can install the package, but at installation there opens a window with yes/no but no question ...

After the installation the icons for word, excel and powerpoint apears on my shift, but nothing happens if I try to start. All other programs seems to work (internet explorer, mediaplayer..)

I have no idea why it dont works on mine. Meybe because I have not the english version? It's a german version.

I also tried something with a blootooth GPS module, no chance. I read, that bluetooth is not supported yet on the WM6 (Shift). I think about TomTOm for navigation. This may be a very interesting add. But the SD card must also be supported because of all the datas. Mqaybe there's a solution in the future.

I think the Shift does not have any GPS Hardware installed. Am I wrong?

Greetings

Sigma99

Hallo Sigma99,

Red Baron 2

Guest ledevil

Hi Paul ;

Just a quick question ; i know that it is not ethic to ask the chefs for the receipt but

Can we say that liberating ( or enabling cab installation ) means changing the

string value to " wceload.exe "%1" /nodelete "

at

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CabFile\Shell\Open\Command

Please advise...

Regards

Edit/Delete Message

Edited by ledevil

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.