MoDaCo is undergoing planned maintenance. Site functionality may be reduced - follow @modaco or @paulobrien on Twitter for updates.

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software
      Nintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)

CUSTOM ROMS

You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not be hosted directly in topic via the MoDaCo attachment system
      ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)
      ROMs must give full credit to the original author
      This decision has been taken in light of the huge amount of interest in this area of device customisation within the community, and member feedback! Please note that custom ROM discussion should be kept in specific device sub-areas, (e.g. Kaiser.MoDaCo.com for Kaiser based devices). ISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact me directly via PM. P
    • Support MoDaCo by signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold membership

To sign up to an annual MoDaCo Silver subscription which will eliminate all ads from the site (as well as giving you access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchens for Android) for only £9.99 using PayPal, Credit or Debit Card, ensure you are logged in to the site, and then click the link below, which will take you directly to the subscription store! You can also sign up to an annual MoDaCo Gold subscription for £29.99, which adds the benefits listed below! PURCHASE A MODACO SUBSCRIPTION - FREE Titanium Backup Mobile for Android worth $5.99! - FREE 1 year PrivateInternetAccess.com worth $39.95! - FREE 1 year LastPass Premium worth $12! - FREE CalcConvert for Pocket PC from Binaryfish worth $17.95! - FREE Calendar Bar for Pocket PC from OmegaOne worth $9.99! - FREE CamerAware for Pocket PC and Smartphone from MoDaCo worth £19.99 / $30! - FREE Chronos for Pocket PC from ActiveKitten worth $14.95! - FREE CodeWallet Pro for Smartphone and Pocket PC from DeveloperOne worth up to $24.95! - FREE Concentrix for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE FlexMail for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE FTouchSL for Pocket PC from Vekoff s.r.o. worth 10 euro / $12.50! - FREE Jewel Challenge for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE John Cody's Alerts Pro for Smartphone from Omnisoft worth $14.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Dutch for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> French for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> German for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Italian for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Spanish for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Dutch for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> French for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> German for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Russian for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Turkish for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE Note2Self for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $19.90! - FREE Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Opera Software worth up to $48! - FREE Pocket Informant for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE Pocket Launcher for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Conduits worth $9.95! - FREE PTab for Pocket PC and Smartphone from z4soft worth up to $60! - FREE Resco Explorer for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Resco worth up to $49.90! - FREE Safemode for Pocket PC from monocube worth $12.95 - FREE SplashPhoto for Pocket PC and Smartphone from SplashData worth up to $59.90! - FREE Sprite Backup for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Sprite Software worth $29.95! - FREE Teksoft Glyphs UI for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €9.95! - FREE Teksoft HeadsetRemote for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €4.95! - FREE Traffic Jam for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE unlock (1 per year) from imei-check.co.uk - DISCOUNT of 10% at MoDaCo FairDeal - DISCOUNT of 10% at Semsons.com - FORUM - AD FREE SITE - FORUM - custom rank / title - FORUM - double competition entries - FORUM - double post attachment space - FORUM - no search flood control - FORUM - priority event registration - FORUM - triple PM space
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspensions / ban.

Google map

25 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hi

I have just put on my phone Australian version of Google map. I can scroll the map

And view things, but for some reason there don't seem to be any keys

bound to 'Search' or 'Menu'.

But if I download the US version all is ok.

I have a Moto Q 9H

Can anyone help?

Thanks

John

Posted · Report post

Hi

I have just put on my phone Australian version of Google map. I can scroll the map

And view things, but for some reason there don't seem to be any keys

bound to 'Search' or 'Menu'.

But if I download the US version all is ok.

I have a Moto Q 9H

Can anyone help?

Thanks

John

i had the same problem when i got the cab directly from google's website. try this cab. i got it bundled with a homescreen i dl. i dont what the defference is, but this one works on my Q9h (US).

GoogleMaps.CAB

Posted · Report post

oh wait, my bad! wasnt reading carefully. you wanted the australian version. sorry that was the US version i upload on the previous post. :D lol

Posted · Report post

Hi

I just downloaded what you said and it works fine, but is GPS map of London. Do's anyone know how to get it working with Australia?

Thanks

John

Posted · Report post

Hi

I just downloaded what you said and it works fine, but is GPS map of London. Do's anyone know how to get it working with Australia?

Thanks

John

well now... there's something interesting. when i loaded that same cab to my phone it gives me a US map. hmmmmmmm????? :D ???? try to activate the gps. click on "menu", then click on "use gps". before you do it try to get a clear line of site to the satelites. it will have a hard time locking on inside buildings. once you pick up a satelite(s) (should have a message in upper right of screen "Seeking GPS satelites), go back to menu and click on "my location". it should then lock on to your location.

note: sometimes takes me several trys to pick up a satelite(s). either close and reopen google or reboot your phone.

Posted · Report post

FYI, i just did a search of Sydney, Australia and it gave me a complete map. roads, freeways, everything.

Posted · Report post

Hi

Just did what you told me to do. Nothing happened. When I clicked on my location I got a massage (your handset don’t seen compatible with my Location (beta) feature) the phone I have is a Moto Q 9H

Thanks

John

Posted (edited) · Report post

My Location uses mast triangulation, could it be the fact that you're in Australia and it's just not compatible there yet? If so, you should just be able to set your location manually. Here in the UK it centers in on my location to within a few hundred feet even though I don't have GPS.

Good luck!

Also see here.

Edited by Confucious

Posted · Report post

Hi

Just did what you told me to do. Nothing happened. When I clicked on my location I got a massage (your handset don’t seen compatible with my Location (beta) feature) the phone I have is a Moto Q 9H

Thanks

John

wait a minute... i just remembered reading in other forums that euro versions of the Q9h dont have GPS. it only comes in the US versions. ill try to find the said forums again and ill get back to you on that.

when or if you can be succesfull, the upper right corner should read --- GPS active (x) --- where x = number of satelites. usually 4-8 for me. once you get this, then you can click on my location.

if this doesnt work then i fear for the worst. if you have a euro version, you may not have gps installed in your device. but dont believe me until you find some solid facts. i would call your provider and ask if your phone does indeed have gps. or better yet contact motorola.

Posted · Report post

Like I said - you don't need GPS to use 'My Location' in the UK.

Posted · Report post

well then, there you go. confusiuos says.... he who has google maps, needs not GPS :D

Posted · Report post

Like I said - you don't need GPS to use 'My Location' in the UK.

On my Q9h if I try to use My Location I just get an error message that says:-

Your handset does not seem to be compatible with My Location (beta) feature.

So is it true??? Anyone else get this problem.

S

Posted · Report post

On my Q9h if I try to use My Location I just get an error message that says:-

Your handset does not seem to be compatible with My Location (beta) feature.

So is it true??? Anyone else get this problem.

S

you must establish a connection with satelites first. you also need a clear line of site (outdoors or aim device towards windows).

in google maps: click menu, click use gps (wait for phone to pick up satelites first)

once you get satelites then you can click on my location.

NOTE: euro version of q9h does not have internal gps

Posted · Report post

you must establish a connection with satelites first. you also need a clear line of site (outdoors or aim device towards windows).

in google maps: click menu, click use gps (wait for phone to pick up satelites first)

once you get satelites then you can click on my location.

NOTE: euro version of q9h does not have internal gps

My Location works with 'cell' masts and does not need GPS. Works indoord with no set up on my StrTrk which certainly doesn't have GPS!

Posted · Report post

All you need to do to get australia is zoom out a lot and then scroll until you get to Australia...

Posted · Report post

My Location works with 'cell' masts and does not need GPS. Works indoord with no set up on my StrTrk which certainly doesn't have GPS!

Certainly does not work on the Q9H with only GPRS, Edge or 3G connection. The problem, I suspect, is that the GPRS connection, though from a phone perspective can triangulate, cannot on Google maps because it is trying to only access GPS, which the Q9H does not have, in Europe.

I also have a Blackberry 8800, which does have GPS, and it CAN triangulate even if I do not want to use routing.

What is a "StrTrk"??

Steve

Posted · Report post

i just figured out what you are trying to say. its not that i was listening to you, its because i didnt understand what cell masts were and the idea that my location does work without gps. as i was fiddling around with my google maps, i stumbled upon something interesting. i found "disable my location" under options. i wanted to see what would happen. when i clicked on it, a rather long text comes up explaining the benefit of my location. it goes on to explain that, and i quote "... but there maybe some areas where our coverage is incomplete; if you get an error message when trying to access your location, don't worry--- it should work in other nearby locations..."

is it possible then that people who are getting the "your device is not compatible" message live in incomplete coverage areas?

im not trying to disprove you, im just trying to understand this whole gps thing and you seem to know more about it.

Posted · Report post

A StrTrk is a WM SmartPhone (Although I'm now running WM 6.1 Pro on mine) that does n ot have GPS see http://www.modaco.com/category/201/HTC-STR...Trk-MoDaCo-com/

Ah..... QTek. Got it......

So does yours pick up MyLocation ALL the time?? Despite not having GPS?

Who is your provider?

Seems odd that you are in Guildford, we are in Farnham, as you can get it and we cannot.....

Cheers

SB

Posted · Report post

T-Mob - and it's Woking, not Guildford. Never not picked my location to within a few hundred feet in Woking and more accurate in London. Not tried elsewhere.

Posted · Report post

T-Mob - and it's Woking, not Guildford. Never not picked my location to within a few hundred feet in Woking and more accurate in London. Not tried elsewhere.

MMMMMmmmmm

Guilford, Woking. Oyvey, oyvie.

Close enough to help pinpoint, or not, the issue. Farnham has lots of Army masts about, which might affect things. Mind you Woking has a few about too.

So still not clear......

SB

Posted · Report post

i had the same problem when i got the cab directly from google's website. try this cab. i got it bundled with a homescreen i dl. i dont what the defference is, but this one works on my Q9h (US).

Hello! I got a newbie question. How do I install that google cab file that you posted? I have a q9h ATT and I just installed active sync.

Posted · Report post

Thanks a bunch and more power to y'all. I've just joined a few hours ago and I already learned a lot!! Activated GPS and installed GoogleMaps. Also removed that annoying "Get Xpress Mail" in my home screen. Hope I can return the favor sometime soon.