Camera shutter noise.

Guest Laser_iCE

Guest Laser_iCE

All jokes aside, it's a pain in the ass when I want to take a photo in a relatively quiet enivornment and I have a shutter that's loud enough to wake my dad (he's a heavy sleeper!). I figured it's obviously to take away from people taking candid photos without the person knowing, but still, when I want to take a photo at night or even one of myself or with a friend, it's just too loud. Fair enough if I was in the mosh at a concert but even then it might put the singer off.

Point is, is there any way to at the least turn it down (even when it's on silent, it's no different) or better yet, get rid of it all together? Otherwise I'll never ride public transport ever again.

The end.

Guest Laser_iCE

Cheers Confucious, but unfortunately I don't have the spanner icon, and I've checked all through the settings and I can't find a thing. The reason I think it's deliberate is because even on vibrate/off, it's still loud :D

Guest Confucious

Maybe it is deliberate then - a few perverts ruin things for everyone else. Shame, but I suppose if it makes it more difficult for perverts it's worth it.

Guest Laser_iCE

Ah well, cheers anyway. I'll just use CoolCamera or something similar instead if it works :D

EDIT: Also, I just remembered. The perfect example of how inconvenient and loud it is, is that I was taking some photos of my dog in the back yard this afternoon and my next door neighbour came out of their house wondering what the "drilling" (focus) noise was.

Edited by Laser_iCE

Guest SMYKUL

You can turn off the shutter sound.

From the HTC camera screen(not the album) press the button on the bottom right of the screen(Looks like 3 full stops on top of each other with 3 underscores by their side). This is the settings dialogue, there are two tabs, press right on the keypad to change to the second tab and shutter sound is the second option :-)

Just to clarify, the settings button is located on the dark grey bar at the bottom of the screen on the far right. The button on the left of this bar opens the album(the button shaped like a "play" symbol) and the button in the middle shows the quick options panel.

Hope this helps ;-)

Edited by SMYKUL

Guest Laser_iCE

Thanks for the reply, but unfortunately, I definitely do not have anything in my settings. In the second tab (Advanced) in my camera settings I have the following options in the following order:

Capture Format (JPEG)

Shoot Option (Full Press)

Grid (Off)

Keep Backlight (On)

Review Duration (10 Seconds)

Flicker Adjustment (Auto)

Preix (Default)

Counter (75)

Image Properties

Help

About

For some reason I don't have the option. It's a HTC Touch Dual P5somethingarather, you know the one, with the two press qwerty style keyboard. It's a Telstra rebranded phone so perhaps its a setting on their behalf? Time for a hard reset I think! Not purely for the noise, but I think it's just getting towards that time :D

Guest nuttyphilt

I think it's probably a local legal requirement that you can't turn off the shutter sound - I've read about that somewhere else. Probably the only way to get round it is to flash a different ROM onto it, thereby voiding your warranty and with all the usual risks....

Guest Laser_iCE
I think it's probably a local legal requirement that you can't turn off the shutter sound - I've read about that somewhere else. Probably the only way to get round it is to flash a different ROM onto it, thereby voiding your warranty and with all the usual risks....

Fair dinkum? That'd make sense. Hmmm, I hope it isn't attached to the button directly, as I still haven't tried it with different software yet, but when I get around to it I'll post and tell how it goes :D

Guest bigmak

there was the same on my Samsung SGH-i320. I found somewhere the hint to visit the registry and somehow tell the phone not to use a sound. I'm sorry for not being more specific but I just can't remember where I found it or how it worked. It's some time ago.

Guest Laser_iCE
there was the same on my Samsung SGH-i320. I found somewhere the hint to visit the registry and somehow tell the phone not to use a sound. I'm sorry for not being more specific but I just can't remember where I found it or how it worked. It's some time ago.

Ahhh, smart thinking. It'll have to be under something generic in there, I'll have a look through it this weekend when I get around to installing some software onto it :D Cheers for the idea.