AppToDate - developers and users - get involved!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
http://content.modaco.net/apptodatecustomuielements.jpgBack in September last year, I spoke about an idea i'd had to create a generic updater tool for Windows Mobile.

The idea was to create a software update client that was free to end users, free to developers and easy to use for both. The idea received a warm welcome, but has been 'on the back burner' somewhat since then as other projects have taken up my time.

I am now however pleased to announce 'AppToDate', the evolution of that idea... and i'd like to invite YOU to get involved! True to my vision, AppToDate is now in very early Beta for developers and end users, with a view to improving and shaping the application rapidly prior to a wider publicity push. What can you do to get involved?

DEVELOPERS
Come on over to http://apptodate.modaco.com, and check out the developer guide. This will tell you how to include AppToDate support in your applications (it's ridiculously easy).
Download AppToDate - from the same area above, download the application and test!
Provide feedback - we want to make ATD as accessible as possible, but also as powerful as you need it to be. Provide your feedback and suggestions to help shape the application.
Tell us about your support - plans are in place to provide free publicity for all developers / applications supporting AppToDate. Don't miss out - post in the AppToDate area when you ship support!
Help - we are looking for someone graphically talented to create icons / banners / badges for AppToDate. Is that you?
END USERS
Come on over to http://apptodate.modaco.com, and grab a copy of the application. Install it on your device and run it. After all, some of your apps may already be supported... and over time, more and more will be! It's early Beta code, we need testers just like you to help us find glitches!
Provide feedback - we want to make ATD a true 'must have' Windows Mobile download. Provide your feedback and suggestions to help shape the application.
Get your favourite developers on board. Do you have applications on your device that you would really love to be able to easily keep up to date? Then ping a mail to the developer, and encourage them to join in with AppToDate!
Help - we are looking for someone graphically talented to create icons / banners / badges for AppToDate. Is that you?
When I originally posted about the concept last year I was genuinely excited and I still am today... come join in the fun :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

You're welcome to that opinion Mark, as a past user of VersionTracker and a current AppFresh user, I find a one-hit-solution for updating my apps useful. I'm one of those freaks who obsesses about having everything up to date, so the sooner all my favourite apps support this the better :D

Together with the added possibilities around things such as post-hard-reset reinstalls, I think it's a good concept. This very very early Beta (primarily to solicit developer support) is just the tip of the iceberg as to what you could include.

P

Guest palmsolo

Awesome idea and application Paul! As a guy who loads lots of apps on my mobile devices, 20+ at the moment, I would love to see all developers participate in this endeavor. I would no longer have to spend hours and hours visiting every developer site to find out what the latest version is, then checking the About page in the app, and then downloading and installing the new app.

This is the kind of service that Handango and other mobile software sales sites should be providing for buyers, rather than having an additional download protection fee :D

Guest deadphill

In my opinion markcouk is pointless.

I'm sorry, its just every post I ever see of his is never constructive and he appears to have some sort of vendetta against modaco and/or Paul.

If this site bothers you so much why bother coming on in the first place unless of course causing trouble like this is your thang.

I for one have installed it and think it is a very clever and useful app, one I have been hoping to see for a long time.

The hardest part is getting every program maker on board. I believe this will be one of the things that will work with persistence.

Perhaps introducing this app to the cooks over at xda-developers might push this idea out further to all those who flash their roms regularly. The more people use this the bigger the chance of app writers taking this on board.

Thanks

Phill

Guest Paul (MVP)

Keep the thread on topic (there's a thread in the lounge of markukcouk's), but yes, encouraging chefs to use it would be good, I have a notification function coming in the next build that will suit them perfectly, and i'll also make apptodate available as an OEM package just perfect for cooking :D

I have a lot of developers already planning to implement, as more come on board we should hopefully see things ramp up!

I also am planning a little package of developer incentives :(

P

Paul,

The concept is very cool, so trie to get the developers onboard. Webis software has also an update client and SBSH Pocketweather does also automatically search for updates. So in that respect it's perhaps easy to get them on board.

Are you going to develop this version for both pocketpc and smartphone or just one of the two platforms ?

Guest nickcornaglia

Nice! Glad to see this become reality! Phase One Complete! :D

Phase Two....Developers get on board!

I use AppFresh as well on my mac and think it's great! AppFresh also sends data back to osx.iusethis.com and counts how many users use each app...so you could see whats popular just based on current usage. Number of Downloads is nice, but if people are like me, most apps get downloaded, tried and uninstalled. This could show how many people actively use an app. Valuable info for someone I'm sure.

First thought after seeing screenshot was that AppToDate needs an artist's touch. then I read you're already looking into that. (I like pretty apps!)

Nice work! Keep it up! (to date!)

Guest chucky.egg

I was thinking of a way the number of users could be counted too, but I was worried that some people (Mark probably included!) would think it invasive.

I still like the simple, plain look. It's easy to use.

Guest Paul (MVP)

User counting (anonymously) is coming in a future build, I already have the deets planned.

It's important to know how many checks are being done via apptodate, and for what apps, and it enables a lot of cool stuff :D

P

User counting (anonymously) is coming in a future build, I already have the deets planned.

It's important to know how many checks are being done via apptodate, and for what apps, and it enables a lot of cool stuff :D

P

Paul, I hope you will add some user settings too. So I can set the time intervals and software titles to update automatically.

Guest The Doctor
Yeah, auto updating will come further down the line.

P

Paul, with regard to the post hard-reset install option. You could simply get it to export the relevant XMLs to say a file or a folder which you can then open with AppToDate after you've reinstalled it (or embedded it into your ROM :D ) and it would then go ahead and download/install all your software again. Presumabley you'd have to keep a note of all your reg codes tho...

Phil

Guest Paul (MVP)

That's exactly how it's going to work!

The menu will have 'write install data to storage card' and 'read install data from storage card', after which you can then check them all and reinstall...

That'll be in in a couple of builds time (after the support for CABs by CE version / Platform / Res etc.)

P

Guest The Doctor
That's exactly how it's going to work!

The menu will have 'write install data to storage card' and 'read install data from storage card', after which you can then check them all and reinstall...

That'll be in in a couple of builds time (after the support for CABs by CE version / Platform / Res etc.)

P

Nice that you'll have the option to select apps you want reinstalling, gives you another chance to consider if you really need some apps.

I'm also assuming that it automatically installs the CABs, without the standard install UI. So maybe the option to specify where it installs stuff? Could be to the internal memory by default and the option to specify which software you want on a storage card.

Phil

Guest Paul (MVP)

You get the standard CAB install UI. Imagine selecting 5 apps on the desktop, you get 5 install prompts on device. AppToDate looks like that.

For the reasons you stated (install location etc.), that makes sense.

Going forward tho, why not ditch CABs altogether and introduce our own more effective format with file level patching support? :D

P

Guest l3v5y

An idea:

- Support for files other than CABSs (maybe a xml tag like or something) so that changelogs/exes can be downloaded instead of cabs.

I had/have more I just can't think of A) a reason, and B ) a way to write them down that seems logical or reasonable...

Edited by l3v5y

Guest GordonTGopher
And how would these other files be executed? Just using the default associations?

Feels a bit dangerous too :(

P

I know it's a specific example but for those of us who use KaiserTweak notification / download of new XML files would be nice :D

Gordon

I really like the application, and it works great with the modaco software and watchflag. So I really hope that "large" developers jump on this train !! It would really help to stay up to date ! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
Guest MarcusWar

Hi,

I just downloaded apptodate and installed on my HTC Blackstone. Everytime I ran it, it gave an error "null exception". In the end I tracked it down to a file called donate.xml (in My Device / Application Data/ apptodate) I renamed it's extension to .txt and now it starts fine.

Marcus

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.