Is the i780 Quad Band or Tri Band

Guest ray123

Guest ray123

Samsung is advertising the SGH-i780 as a Tri-Band phone but has anyone read the user manual? This is what it says on page 98.

Band selection

For the phone to make and receive phone calls, it must be registered with one of the available networks. Your phone can handle combined GSM 900/1800, GSM 1900 network, and Quad band (GSM 850/900/1800/1900). The country where your phone was purchased determines the default band that it uses. When you travel abroad, you must remember to change to an appropriate band.

1. From the Start menu, tap Settings Personal tab Phone.

2. In the More tab, tap Band Selection Get settings...

3. Select an appropriate band in the Frequency Band field.

4. Tap .

I have a Blackjack II and I would like to get the i-780 unlocked but I want to make sure it will work in the US on the AT&T network. I checked the band selections on my Blackjack II using bandsel.exe within windows. The options are

1. AUTO

2. GSM 850

3. GSM 1900

4. WCDMA

Can someone with an i780 check these settings to see if they are available?

Guest jackofall

Hi dont know if this helps but I've just got back from the States and I could use my i780 in the New York area no problems :)

Guest blakatak

I'm using my i780 with AT&T in the Seattle area with no problems, although I haven't been able to get MMS to work yet, but that's a configuration issue on my end as I had to enter all the network settings manually.

Guest ray123

I guess what I really want to know is if the i780 is able to pick up GSM 850 and 3G signals here in the US. I don't know if there is a difference between 3G in the UK and 3G in the US.

Guest blakatak
I guess what I really want to know is if the i780 is able to pick up GSM 850 and 3G signals here in the US. I don't know if there is a difference between 3G in the UK and 3G in the US.

So I guess the answer is no.

The options I have on my i780 are:

• Automatic
  • GSM 900/1800
  • GSM 1900
  • WCDMA

I am using the phone on AT&T, but I am only getting GPRS and flaky EDGE. I am not getting 3G/UMTS with AT&T. There is talk of the i780 being released at some point in the US, but there is nothing definite. Seems like I should have examined it more closely before purchasing. Oh well - it's still a cool phone.

Guest chertlebo
So I guess the answer is no.

The options I have on my i780 are:

• Automatic
  • GSM 900/1800
  • GSM 1900
  • WCDMA

I am using the phone on AT&T, but I am only getting GPRS and flaky EDGE. I am not getting 3G/UMTS with AT&T. There is talk of the i780 being released at some point in the US, but there is nothing definite. Seems like I should have examined it more closely before purchasing. Oh well - it's still a cool phone.

I've got the exact band settings as you. I think in the US its gsm 850 that's the most popular. Is there a way to flash the rom to get gsm850? Dunno.

There's a confusing set of bands for 3G and 4 for gsm.

Guest blakatak

GSM 850 is mainly used in the U.S., so considering this phone is only available in Europe and Asia right now, the list of bands is appropriate. This is not something that can be fixed by reflashing - the physical hardware just doesn't support that band.

It's unfortunate that this isn't a true quad-band device, with both GSM 850 and GSM 900, but that's the way it is.

I have changed my band selection setting from "Automatic" to "GSM 1900", and the phone and GPRS service seems a little better with AT&T, but still no 3G.

I would advise anyone in the U.S. considering this phone to wait and see if a U.S. carrier picks it up and sells a version with GSM 850 included.

• 1 month later...
Guest FlyingJ
Samsung is advertising the SGH-i780 as a Tri-Band phone but has anyone read the user manual? This is what it says on page 98.

Band selection

For the phone to make and receive phone calls, it must be registered with one of the available networks. Your phone can handle combined GSM 900/1800, GSM 1900 network, and Quad band (GSM 850/900/1800/1900). The country where your phone was purchased determines the default band that it uses. When you travel abroad, you must remember to change to an appropriate band.

1. From the Start menu, tap Settings Personal tab Phone .

2. In the More tab, tap Band Selection Get settings...

3. Select an appropriate band in the Frequency Band field.

4. Tap .

I have a Blackjack II and I would like to get the i-780 unlocked but I want to make sure it will work in the US on the AT&T network. I checked the band selections on my Blackjack II using bandsel.exe within windows. The options are

1. AUTO

2. GSM 850

3. GSM 1900

4. WCDMA

Can someone with an i780 check these settings to see if they are available?

Bought my Unlocked i780 in Singapore and slipped in my T-Mobile USA SIM. It worked fine in Singapore, mostly GSM bands. Then I travelled to Japan (the real reason why I bought this phone) and it worked fine on the Softbank 3G network. Finally, I went home to New York City, it works fine. Have not seen 3G signal in New York although T-mobile says there now available in NYC and BELLVUE, WA. Conincidentally, I was in BELLEVUE last week, and did not see there either. However, my setting has always been on AUTOMATIC without setting to any specific band. Just because 3G/UTMS or GSM 850 is not listed amoung the choices, does not mean it cant be detected and used.