The offical HP 614c 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
614c.png
This device isn't the newest kid on the block (I know a lot of you here have one!), but it IS interesting and it has recently arrived on my desk... so I thought i'd give everyone the chance to have a little HP 614c Q&A!

The device is a Pocket PC (Professional) device, with great specs, a regular keypad in the Asus P750 veign and a very innovative 'virtual scroll wheel' on the keypad. Priced at an impressive £319.95 minus £50 cashback from eXpansys, specs are as follows...
  • Microsoft® Windows Mobile® 6 Professional
  • Marvell PXA270 processor 520 MHz
  • Tri-band HSDPA 3.6/7.2; Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE
  • QVGA screen
  • 256MB ROM / 128MB RAM
  • 'Smart Touch Wheel'
  • microSD expansions
  • Wireless 802.11b/g with WPA2 security
  • Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR
  • GPS
  • 3MP Camera
  • 1590 mAh Lithium-polymer battery
  • 60.3 x17.5 x 117 mm
  • 145 g

Got questions? Post them here!

P

Guest dearsina

Paul, how is the battery life? Also, how big is it? Could you grab a pic next to a HTC Vox or similar phone? And finally, how responsive is the wheel? Does it work as smoothly as say, an iPod?

Thanks!

Guest Paul (MVP)
Paul, how is the battery life?

I found it to be good on standby, but diminishing quickly when in intensive use, however that was in my non-typical scenario of permanently being in HSDPA coverage (in the US). I'll be using it a bit more to try and get a better gauge on it.

Also, how big is it?

Bigger than it looks! I'll take a few comparison pics and post them up (don't have a Vox atm tho i'm afraid!)

And finally, how responsive is the wheel? Does it work as smoothly as say, an iPod?

It's pretty responsive actually, I was quite impressed. When I first used it I kept trying to 'click in the middle', when in fact you need to use the 'enter' key on the keyboard. The 'ridge' and the key coating makes it not quite as smooth as an ipod (it is still a keyboard after all), but it's pretty good!

P

Guest spider
Its only the 128 MB RAM that beats the ASUS P750, on all other counts the ASUS wins...

not sure about that...after what I have tried of phones with the "joy"stick...it is certainly not a joy after, say, a year when it just doesnt work anymore...can't of course say if that's the same with the ASUS, but I will never go back to a terminal with a stick again...

...But then again the "wheel" takes a little to get used too, but its one of the best alternative IMHO

Guest wwwwww
not sure about that...after what I have tried of phones with the "joy"stick...it is certainly not a joy after, say, a year when it just doesnt work anymore...can't of course say if that's the same with the ASUS, but I will never go back to a terminal with a stick again...

...But then again the "wheel" takes a little to get used too, but its one of the best alternative IMHO

I agree, the RAM and the touch wheel were the two reasons I went for the 614c over the Asus. So far I'm very happy with it (2 months in) but then I didn't ever use the P750.

Others' concerns over build quality, stability etc seem to been misplaced. My experience is that it is well made, stable with very few minor issues - mostly caused by me trying to install something not really meant for WM6 or some other similar user error!

Guest micaels

Paul,

It's a great device :D Tough i've seen at Mugen that they have a bigger battery. Might be worth the investment? Thinking about that myself.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm pretty impressed actually, altho battery life seems poor compared to my kaiser. It DOES seem very well built indeed!

P

Guest hekermeker

Hello!

I heared about a network problem with 614c.When the network mode is set to automatic it works on both modes 3G and normal mode.When there is no 3G coverage you have no signal at all and you have to switch manually in normal mode.It is true?Have you experienced this?

Guest MartinJT
Hello!

I heared about a network problem with 614c.When the network mode is set to automatic it works on both modes 3G and normal mode.When there is no 3G coverage you have no signal at all and you have to switch manually in normal mode.It is true?Have you experienced this?

I've had mine for about a 2 months now and it's only happened once or possibly twice... as it doesn't happen too much, I can't pinpoint when it happens, but I travel a lot, so move from GPRS/3G/HSDPA regularly, and it doesn't happen every time...

Phone is good... not really got any problems with it... it's the first time I've had a smartphone... so don't really have anything to compare it to....

I would say that I'm using it with SPB menu at the moment, and it looks awesome... Not as fast as I thought it would be... but it's still good!

I'd definitely recommend the phone...

Guest wwwwww
.....2.5mm Stereo headphone jack.....Got questions?

Does your device really have this? Mine certainly doesn't, the headphones annoyingly connect via mini usb so I can't charge and use headpones without buying a thingamajig...

Also makes it difficult to buy replacement 'phones (I can't use the 'in ear' type and have to have 'on ear' instead)

Guest ral6387

Dear Paul

I don't know who to ask more, the problem can not solve is that dell'update of Rom.

there who does and who does not, I am one of those to whom does not work.

wanted to have an opinion from you, you know something of this problem.

s.o. pc xp sp2

without firewall, spyware ecc ecc

thank you

Guest andycat
Just ordered the mugen battery for the ipaq 614 :D

Anyone know where to get the Mugen Batteries in the UK?

Like my 614c better than my Tytn, Kaiser or Touch. Would like more battery though!

Guest Paul (MVP)
Does your device really have this? Mine certainly doesn't, the headphones annoyingly connect via mini usb so I can't charge and use headpones without buying a thingamajig...

Also makes it difficult to buy replacement 'phones (I can't use the 'in ear' type and have to have 'on ear' instead)

Sorry, my bad! Updated first post...

P

Guest Sonicr360

Not a bad device. Does not really stand out for me, but for something again, portable, compact and good "on the go", I guess you cannot go too wrong, if you can get this at a good price !

Guest Sonicr360

Not a bad device. Does not really stand out for me, but for something again, portable, compact and good "on the go", I guess you cannot go too wrong, if you can get this at a good price !

Guest hekermeker

QUOTE(hekermeker @ May 24 2008, 14:12) post_snapback.gifHello!

I've had mine for about a 2 months now and it's only happened once or possibly twice... as it doesn't happen too much, I can't pinpoint when it happens, but I travel a lot, so move from GPRS/3G/HSDPA regularly, and it doesn't happen every time...

Phone is good... not really got any problems with it... it's the first time I've had a smartphone... so don't really have anything to compare it to....

I would say that I'm using it with SPB menu at the moment, and it looks awesome... Not as fast as I thought it would be... but it's still good!

I'd definitely recommend the phone...

Ok, thanks.Maybe not the phone is the problem, but the country I live in.Here in Romania you have signal problems even in the big cities.And 3G signal is very weak.Anyway Orange sucks!!!If Asus P750 had 128 Ram...

p_up.gif

p_mq_add.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.