New background image causes flicker

Guest Dark Horse

Guest Dark Horse

Howdy all,

I'm busy knocking up a new QVGA landscape homescreen for the Samsung i600 and am having problems with the homescreen background image.

I've created my nice new background image at 320 x 240, saved it as a jpeg and copied it across to the home directory. If I then simply change the background image only and return to the homescreen, all I see is my image flickering badly with a white strip at the top where the icon bar should be for signal strength, battery etc.

This happens regardless of what xml layout I choose and also occurs if I resize the image smaller to accomodate the status bar. In other words, whenever I choose that background (it's the Vista grass one), the i600 has a fit. Furthermore, for some strange reason, the included i600 background images by Samsung (e.g. sandglass.jpg) are not recognised as Jpeg's in PaintShop Pro, Adobe or indeed anything else!

Can anyone shed any light as to why the screen flickers like a bad 50's B movie if I change it to my new background? Any idea what the white strip at the top is? Is a 320 x 240 jpeg the correct size and format to use?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dark Horse

Guest Dark Horse
Howdy all,

I'm busy knocking up a new QVGA landscape homescreen for the Samsung i600 and am having problems with the homescreen background image.

I've created my nice new background image at 320 x 240, saved it as a jpeg and copied it across to the home directory. If I then simply change the background image only and return to the homescreen, all I see is my image flickering badly with a white strip at the top where the icon bar should be for signal strength, battery etc.

This happens regardless of what xml layout I choose and also occurs if I resize the image smaller to accomodate the status bar. In other words, whenever I choose that background (it's the Vista grass one), the i600 has a fit. Furthermore, for some strange reason, the included i600 background images by Samsung (e.g. sandglass.jpg) are not recognised as Jpeg's in PaintShop Pro, Adobe or indeed anything else!

Can anyone shed any light as to why the screen flickers like a bad 50's B movie if I change it to my new background? Any idea what the white strip at the top is? Is a 320 x 240 jpeg the correct size and format to use?

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Dark Horse

Ok, I think I've answered my own questions here. It appears that the i600 doesn't take too kindly to changing a background image via the background selection in the display options, you need to set the background image in the actual XML itself and leave the background selection in display options to "default". 320 x 240 images will work just fine but 320 x 213 will correctly size it taking into account the lower soft buttons area.

As for the included Samsung images, looks like they are encrypted Jpegs so they can't be opened in any graphics package although you can still use them.

One other small annoyance is that none of the battery plugins seemed to work well (Smart Monitor, Fizz Monitor etc.) on an i600. It seems that battery strength doesn't update and also causes the generic Samsung battery level monitor app to hang. Worst of all though, periodically, it'll lock up the moby requiring a complete battery pull to reset :D

Anyone know of a battery plugin that works reliably and well with WM5 on an i600?

Regards,

Dark Horse