Battery running down too quick, same with new battery

Guest Loftup

Guest Loftup

I used to get very good battery life, but suddenly since last week it seems to drain quickly lasting only around 16 hours from a full charge despite Wifi, Bluetooth and GPRS all off, good phone signal and no imcoming or outgoing calls.

Thought battery must be getting old so replaced with new battery but exactly the same problem.

Does anybody have any ideas?

I want to hang on to this 710 if I can until the Raphael/Tytn3/Touch Pro is available in the UK, probably another 3 months or so.

Many thanks

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Has it been wet / damp recently? Sounds like there is a short somewhere.Does the battery got noticeably hotter than usual?

M.S

Guest mstephenson
I used to get very good battery life, but suddenly since last week it seems to drain quickly lasting only around 16 hours from a full charge despite Wifi, Bluetooth and GPRS all off, good phone signal and no imcoming or outgoing calls.

Thought battery must be getting old so replaced with new battery but exactly the same problem.

I want to hang on to this 710 if I can until the Raphael/Tytn3/Touch Pro is available in the UK, probably another 3 months or so.

Many thanks

I have the same problem. Hadn't really given it too much thought as I just assumed it was time for a battery replacement but after reading this thread i'm not so sure anymore. Loftup, do you find your clock is running slow as well?

In answer to the reply, i'm not aware that my phone has been wet or damp recently and I haven't noticed the battery getting any warmer than usual.

On a similar note, does anyone know when HTC are releasing a new smartphone? I want a traditional numerical keypad rather than the touch style controls but haven't seen anything matching this from HTC :D It's been quite a while since the S730 was launched and there seems no point in 'upgrading' to that from a S710

I have the same problem. Hadn't really given it too much thought as I just assumed it was time for a battery replacement but after reading this thread i'm not so sure anymore. Loftup, do you find your clock is running slow as well?

In answer to the reply, i'm not aware that my phone has been wet or damp recently and I haven't noticed the battery getting any warmer than usual.

On a similar note, does anyone know when HTC are releasing a new smartphone? I want a traditional numerical keypad rather than the touch style controls but haven't seen anything matching this from HTC :D It's been quite a while since the S730 was launched and there seems no point in 'upgrading' to that from a S710

A clock issue would point to a CPU / crystal oscillator issue. What is the clock speed reporting at? ( many tools available online to tell you).

Three darn good reasons to change to an s730:

1:) 3G data

2:) 400Mhz Qualcomm -V- 200Mhz Omap

3:) 388h -v- 175h standby from the same battery type / spec.

One less good reason:

1:) S730 looks nicer.

M.S

Guest mstephenson

Thanks for the reply Mysertious Stranger. I'm not too sure about the clock speed, never checked anything like that but i'll have a look into it later. Any ideas what would cause a 'CPU / crystal oscillator issue', or how to fix it?

R.E the S730, I should probably have explained it's not really a good enough upgrade for me beacuse the main feature seems to be 3G data and sadly I don't live in an area where i'll get 3G signal :D Personally I still prefer the look of the S710 as well but that's just personal choice. You've got a good point about the processor speed and battery figures but these 2 things aren't really enough for me to justify splashing out on a whole new phone. Also, hasn't the S730 had problem with storage space? This was going back a while so maybe all that's been fixed but I remember hearing a few bad stories about it.

Thanks for the reply Mysertious Stranger. I'm not too sure about the clock speed, never checked anything like that but i'll have a look into it later. Any ideas what would cause a 'CPU / crystal oscillator issue', or how to fix it?

Corrosion caused by water / condensation can short componants. I'd look into other possibilities before opening up the phone.

There have been no rom updates for the s730 as yet and I've had no issues so am unsure of the low space issue you mention?

M.S

Guest mstephenson
There have been no rom updates for the s730 as yet and I've had no issues so am unsure of the low space issue you mention?

M.S

http://www.modaco.com/content/htc-wings-wi...emory-problems/

That's the thread that I was mainly referring to, though maybe this has been fixed I don't know. Anyway, not that it matters, me being unable to receive 3G is the main reason I won't be upgrading to an S730. Think I best let this thread get back on track now, apologies. And thanks for the info MS

Guest dheerajk27

Many thanks

May be a silly question to all those smartphone pros out there... Have you all checked whether there is any new application (may be faulty) installed on your phone recently, which might be running in the background and draining the battery? I had a similar issue with one of the application in the past (can't recollect, which application). Once I uninstalled the application everything was back to normal. Just thought of sharing...

Edited by dheerajk27

Guest mstephenson

Thanks for the suggestion dheerajk27. I can't speak for the original poster in this thread but for me, yes i'm sure it's not a new application running in the background. Thanks though, at least it's one thing I can cross of the list

Guest ICQEagle
Thanks for the suggestion dheerajk27. I can't speak for the original poster in this thread but for me, yes i'm sure it's not a new application running in the background. Thanks though, at least it's one thing I can cross of the list

I actually had the same problem with the original batteries, no matter what I tried. Then I bought a high capacity 2000 mAh battery on Ebay and since then I am amazed how long my Vox can run without recharging. Even with calls, internet, listening music half of the day via stereo bluetooth it lasts AT LEAST 3 full days, most often longer.

Guest mstephenson
I actually had the same problem with the original batteries, no matter what I tried. Then I bought a high capacity 2000 mAh battery on Ebay and since then I am amazed how long my Vox can run without recharging. Even with calls, internet, listening music half of the day via stereo bluetooth it lasts AT LEAST 3 full days, most often longer.

Might just have a look into that then. Is it one of those ones that sticks out from the back of the phone and needs its own battery cover to accomodate the size? And if so, do you actually notice this or is it pretty minor?

Guest ICQEagle
Might just have a look into that then. Is it one of those ones that sticks out from the back of the phone and needs its own battery cover to accomodate the size? And if so, do you actually notice this or is it pretty minor?

It comes with a new back cover and sticks out a bit, but doesn't really disturb. And meanwhile I would not want to be without it again. Even on heavy use I recharge max. every 3 days, that is soooooo cool. :D

Edited by ICQEagle

Guest mstephenson
It comes with a new back cover and sticks out a bit, but doesn't really disturb. And meanwhile I would not want to be without it again. Even on heavy use I recharge max. every 3 days, that is soooooo cool. :(

:o 3 days?! I'd be happy with anything over 18 hours! Thought it'd stick out a bit but that's a v small price to pay for such good battery life. Thanks alot for that, definitely going to pick one of these up now-it'll probably even pay for itself after a while the amount i'm having to charge it :D

Guest CJ Rowlands

3 days?

i think ill go and get a new battery :D

for about a month, up untill last week, ive been running Dr Gonzos 6.1 Rom on my vox, and i was lucky if i got 7 hours :S

(darn those sneaky, power draining and yet nice looking panels)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Dark Horse

Try a soft reset and see if that works. Sounds dodgy but ActiveStink is a real piece of crap-orama from the school of Microbull software and seems to drain the battery far quicker on my i600 once I carry out a single sync with nothing else running (I have v4.2). With a fully charged battery and a single sync, the handset doesn't last 2 days whereas the same usage on a fully charged battery followed by a sync and then a soft reset comfortably manages 4 days.

Regards,

Dark Horse

• 1 month later...
Guest Loftup

Many thanks for all the responses. In the end it turned out I had set the "display time out on battery" to never while messing around with settings. Not surprisingly the battery ran down quicker than normal. Since altering it battery life is much better ! I feel a bit stupid but at least I have a spare battery now.