I320 with MoviStar settings and customization

Guest New User

Guest New User

Hello you wonderful forum members!

I have one question... I just purchased a brand new Samsung I320 from CompUSA and I am pretty happy with this phone (I know battery life is crazy short)... anyway, I've got this phone unlocked (Movistar cell provider from Spain, Europe I guess). All settings inside the phone are configured by them. There is no way I can remove some annoyances like for example their wallpapers etc.

Inside this box, I've also got this Microsoft Samsung Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone GSM w/ Outlook 2002 CD/DVD with my own product key (everything is sealed and original). On the disk it says Rev1.3

Is there any way I can completely reinstall this OS in my I320 and how would I go about that ? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by New User

Guest Mysterious Stranger

Hello,

try a hard reset. IIRC it's hold down the zero key as you switch the phone on but I could be wrong. Check the wiki for instructions.

M.S

Guest New User
Hello,

try a hard reset. IIRC it's hold down the zero key as you switch the phone on but I could be wrong. Check the wiki for instructions.

M.S

Yes that was the first thing I tried and I used default password to perform hard reset. But this will just reset all settings to default... again set by MovieStar cell provider from Spain.

I'm not sure why did I get this original CD (it looks kind of like any normal original Windows OS installation CD/DVD) if I can not install this OS from the scratch in case I want to. I've got all cables inside this package, so I thought maybe I could use this CD with USB cable, connect my phone to my desktop Vista computer and reinstall WM 5 from the ground up.

Yes that was the first thing I tried and I used default password to perform hard reset. But this will just reset all settings to default... again set by MovieStar cell provider from Spain.

I'm not sure why did I get this original CD (it looks kind of like any normal original Windows OS installation CD/DVD) if I can not install this OS from the scratch in case I want to. I've got all cables inside this package, so I thought maybe I could use this CD with USB cable, connect my phone to my desktop Vista computer and reinstall WM 5 from the ground up.

Nope it's not an O.S CD as a hard reset is uausally all that's needed so manufacturers don't provide any sort of 're-install' function, and there have been no updates for the i320, so if the movistar settings are default in the rom you'll need to remove them manually or try to find a .cab file for you network / wm5 to do it for you.

M.S

p.s did you get a EU plug on the mains adapter?

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest New User
Nope it's not an O.S CD as a hard reset is uausally all that's needed so manufacturers don't provide any sort of 're-install' function, and there have been no updates for the i320, so if the movistar settings are default in the rom you'll need to remove them manually or try to find a .cab file for you network / wm5 to do it for you.

M.S

p.s did you get a EU plug on the mains adapter?

Yes I've got this little adapter from EU type to US type.

I'm still confused since this looks exactly as OS CD. Why would I getmy own serial key if it's not for reinstalling... Take a look in here:

img2473ur7.jpg

img2474aa7.jpg

img2475nc8.jpg

Edited by New User

It is NOT an O.S CD! The key id for the bundled version of outlook. YOu get onn with all M.S smartphones AFAIK. I used to own this phone so do know what I am talking about :-)

M.S

Edited by Mysterious Stranger

Guest New User
It is NOT an O.S CD! The key id for the bundled version of outlook. YOu get onn with all M.S smartphones AFAIK. I used to own this phone so do know what I am talking about :-)

M.S

Well, I respect your experience with this phone, but I am not too sure you got exactly the same CD I've got. I just took this CD to my friend's who BTW unlocks all kind of phones and does that for living, installed WM5.0 from this CD and that completely removed every single setting MoviStar previously set. Good look at one of those screenshots I posted earlier, shows it says Windows Mobie 5.0 Smartphone GSM w/ (with) Outlook 2002.

So everything is inside (whole WM5.0). After installation everything looks exactly same as before, except there is no extra MoviStar crap inside anymore.

Thanks, this thing is finaly solved.

Well, I respect your experience with this phone, but I am not too sure you got exactly the same CD I've got. I just took this CD to my friend's who BTW unlocks all kind of phones and does that for living, installed WM5.0 from this CD and that completely removed every single setting MoviStar previously set. Good look at one of those screenshots I posted earlier, shows it says Windows Mobie 5.0 Smartphone GSM w/ (with) Outlook 2002.

So everything is inside (whole WM5.0). After installation everything looks exactly same as before, except there is no extra MoviStar crap inside anymore.

Thanks, this thing is finaly solved.

You have a european i320, I have a european i320. My CD looks just like yours, and does not have the rom on it. Samsung haven't ever made any downloads for the i320 available. If they have the installer on CD they would make it available on the website.

AFAIK no smartphone manufacturer has ever put the rom for a device on the CD. Hard resets should usually provide a reset. Roms get updated / changed before shipping so it would be too easy for a CD to become out of date.

Why don't you share the wm5 rom for everyone then? Many people have posted asking for it here. If it's on your CD and not mine or theirs you could do everyone who has an i320 a massive favour!

Until you do sorry, but I really doubt you have this :D

M.S

Guest New User
You have a european i320, I have a european i320. My CD looks just like yours, and does not have the rom on it. Samsung haven't ever made any downloads for the i320 available. If they have the installer on CD they would make it available on the website.

AFAIK no smartphone manufacturer has ever put the rom for a device on the CD. Hard resets should usually provide a reset. Roms get updated / changed before shipping so it would be too easy for a CD to become out of date.

Why don't you share the wm5 rom for everyone then? Many people have posted asking for it here. If it's on your CD and not mine or theirs you could do everyone who has an i320 a massive favour!

Until you do sorry, but I really doubt you have this :D

M.S

Well, I am trying to stay nice but it seems like you're having a problem with communication. I thank you for your help, I said I respect your experiences you had with your I320, so I really see no problems here.

Sharring ? Wouldn'ty that be kind of illegal ? :( I got this serial key and it is supposed to be personal AFAIK, so how in the World would I be able to share it ?

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?act=announ...mp;f=2&id=1

Thanks again for your input, this thread should be closed (it says in the topic "SOLVED")

Edited by New User

No, it's not illegal, as it's not a hacked / customised rom, it's an offical one - so you say.

So go on, tell us, you had to enter the seriel key on the phone, right? :D

That would be a world first in smartphones. Keep your i320, it's RARE!

Please, be honest. If you don't want to share the official rom on your CD then show us some screen shots of it installing. Or do a screen dump of the installer CD's contents. Or do a screen grab of the RUU process - you don't need to actually re-install, when it starts there should be a confirm screen before anything happens to the phone. Take some pictures?

I can take loads of pictures of CD's that say WM2003SE/WM5/WM6 GSM W/OUTLOOK 2003 SKKF-KT55-BLAH-BLAH - it really does mean nothing - the key is for the included copy of outlook on the CD. Manufacturers do not release CD's with the original O.S on them as a hard reset should always suffice.

If you can't provide any proof then please do not post any more.

M.S

Guest New User
No, it's not illegal, as it's not a hacked / customised rom, it's an offical one - so you say.

So go on, tell us, you had to enter the seriel key on the phone, right? :(

That would be a world first in smartphones. Keep your i320, it's RARE!

Please, be honest. If you don't want to share the official rom on your CD then show us some screen shots of it installing. Or do a screen dump of the installer CD's contents. Or do a screen grab of the RUU process - you don't need to actually re-install, when it starts there should be a confirm screen before anything happens to the phone. Take some pictures?

I can take loads of pictures of CD's that say WM2003SE/WM5/WM6 GSM W/OUTLOOK 2003 SKKF-KT55-BLAH-BLAH - it really does mean nothing - the key is for the included copy of outlook on the CD. Manufacturers do not release CD's with the original O.S on them as a hard reset should always suffice.

If you can't provide any proof then please do not post any more.

M.S

I think that only one who should order me not to post anymore can be moderator of this forum only, don't you agree here?

Anyway, I am afraid it is impossible to create any screenshots since I returned my phone to the store last night (TigerDirect is selling CompUSA items since they bought them). I've already heard that battery life is an issue in these phones, but I had no clue how bad this situation is... realized how really crappy is battery life on this phone, and even though I've got two of them, there is nothing in the World to make me charge them every single day. It's almost like when you are done with charging one, the other one inside your phone is already dead. So the phone went back to the store for good, full amount returned not even minus stocking fee.

And if it's really going to make you happy, I will not post here anymore. Since I am not one of the owners of I320 anymore, there really is no need for me to "bug" you. My intention was never to "bug" anyone, but it looks like you felt like that. My appologies if I made wrong impression.

EDIT: thought I should post these images as a proof I returned it so you don't come up with another one that I am not telling the truth :D

Product returned shortly after I made my previous post in this forum.

img2476yx3.jpg

img2477uu8.jpg

img2478df8.jpg

Edited by New User

Sorry, I didn't mean to tell you to post anymore full stop,you just seem confused over entering keys for software upgrades on windows phones, so best not to post any more about it here without proof.

Anyway, curiosity piqued, I've order an I320 from compUSA deliveredto my US mailbox, as I'm just dying to see the i320 rom upgrade! Here's hoping I get a movistar one too and can finally got hold of the rom package that samsung say was never available! It'll be with me in about 3 weeks.

I'll let everyone know. :D

M.S

Guest New User
Sorry, I didn't mean to tell you to post anymore full stop,you just seem confused over entering keys for software upgrades on windows phones, so best not to post any more about it here without proof.

Anyway, curiosity piqued, I've order an I320 from compUSA deliveredto my US mailbox, as I'm just dying to see the i320 rom upgrade! Here's hoping I get a movistar one too and can finally got hold of the rom package that samsung say was never available! It'll be with me in about 3 weeks.

I'll let everyone know. :D

M.S

If you want to get exactly the same package as I've got, you'll have to go through TigerDirect. Even though they bought CompUSA, I thought it's coming from them, but it's actually coming directly from TigerDirect. If I wanted to go through CompUSA, I'd have to pay extra for shipping, this way I picked it up same day from the store.

Over and out.